The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
i think everything happens for a reason and i also believe in destiny. I think diana & charles was meant to meet, marry and have children. Even though the marriage didn't last, i think there was a purpose to it. We wouldn't have william & harry if they didn't get together.

I like taking the time to appreciate their short union and not just focusing on the bad. I think charles also thank diana for giving him the two men he's so proud of and clearly adore.
amen!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't believe in destiny; I think life is mostly chance.

Turn left instead of right one day, and everything changes!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Majesty

I just wish that August Paris trip never happened. Had she never went, she would've been working with Presidents Clinton and Mandela on the aids crises. She would've gone on the Royal Yacht Britannia farewell trip with Charles. There was so much in the works that never happened.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Gentry

I adored Diana and felt she was a breath of fresh air in the monarchy. However, in looking back at old Youtube videos, photos etc. I now think that she did deliberately try to upstage the Queen and other members of the royal family, especially toward the end of the marriage. She courted the press when it suited her. I sincerely believe that if she were alive today, Diana would be very resentful of the attention Kate is getting.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Agree 100%

Yes you are right that Diana would so be Jealous of the attention Kate get. Diana loved getting attention and want ti be the only person to get it and She in my opinion would deliberately upstage The Queen and other members of the Royal Family to get attention! There is a word for peoples like that but I am not going to say it on here.

Aside from being Will and Harry mother The monarchy was better off without Diana after the divorce in my opinion
Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I do think she might have been a very tricky mother in law to have around, and would not have enjoyed sharing the spotlight or being overshadowed by her daughter in law. I also suspect she would have been married and divorced again at least once in the last 15 years. She was a woman who needed attention and reassurance all the time.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Majesty

Really? I don't think so. I think Diana would've loved Catherine and I can see those two, and even Carole, going out and having themselves a good time on the town. I think Diana wouldn't mind the attention her sons wife gets.

Diana wasn't that into herself as people would think.

She was a beautiful young woman and I'm glad Charles went on to marry her and they went on to have some good looking children. I see her and Charles in William & Harry. I miss the lady but all I have to do is just watch the boys and I see that's she's still around. Her spirit lives, IMO.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Majesty

She wasn't perfect and wasn't a saint, that's for sure, but I think she did a great job as HRH The Princess of Wales and future Queen and mother. I'm sure she's missed by Charles, William & Harry and both families. As Harry said in his speech at the memorial service in 2007, they talk about her all the time and laugh at the memories.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Agree 100%

Yes you are right that Diana would so be Jealous of the attention Kate get. Diana loved getting attention and want ti be the only person to get it and She in my opinion would deliberately upstage The Queen and other members of the Royal Family to get attention! There is a word for peoples like that but I am not going to say it on here.

Aside from being Will and Harry mother The monarchy was better off without Diana after the divorce in my opinion
Totally agree.
RF is better off w/o her. She would be extremely jealous of Kate. She not only upstaged the Queen in public but would deliberately arrive late for tea & dinner & leave before the Queen. She knew the dining rules since childhood per her engagement interview yet she deliberately acted as if she was Queen. She upset everyone yet blamed everyone.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 PM
Majesty

Lets not forget, Diana would've been in her 50's today. I don't think she would be wasting her time trying to upstage her daughter-in-law and even upsetting William. I think she would be busy enjoying the idea of becoming a grandmother and probably be somewhere crying with joy over the fact that her son now has his own family.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 AM
Heir Apparent

My guess is she would have been one of those women who find the aging process rather difficult, more so if she was to be compared to a younger woman all the time.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
My guess is she would have been one of those women who find the aging process rather difficult, more so if she was to be compared to a younger woman all the time.
When Diana married Charles, she was basically an insecure young woman that had no clue of what a marriage involved. Like in a romance novel, she believed in the "happy ever after" and that she could mold the relationship between her and Charles once they were married and he was hers. She had a set idea of what a perfect marriage should be like and unfortunately they only exists in novels and fairy tales. I think her biggest insecurity was that she couldn't accept anyone being close to Charles and she felt that was her place to be his mainstay in every aspect of his life and anyone who threatened that, threatened her. Once the marriage was underway, Diana caused a lot of changes from the household staff around Charles and also to who he could and could not be friends with and associate with too. In other words... she was needy, demanding and willful. Charles had no clue how to really deal with this kind of thing and the marriage degenerated. When the marriage was obviously not on good terms, he did what a million other people did. Turn to the friends he'd been denied through the relationship.

I've always wondered what would have been if Diana had been confident enough in her own self and her relationship with Charles that she would have recognized Camilla as one of his best friends and accepted that? But then again, that would have only happened if she herself had a deeper, more intimate relationship with Charles before they married.

I do think it was the public duties, the way the masses perceived Diana, was what gave her the motivation to actually grow up and become her own person.
Narcissism, I think, kind of helped her to build up her own self worth and self image and perhaps in overdoing it, she upstaged the Queen and the PoW but I think she also eventually balanced it out. The Diana at the time of her marriage and the Diana at the time of her death were two totally different people. Life does that.. it changes people.

I don't think we can put the young, needy Diana or a timeofdeath Diana into a today 50something Diana as there are too many variables. We can only go by the history that we do have and let her rest in peace.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Courtier

This is a very interesting discussion. I am a little worried that the moderators will start to worry that we are rehashing the marriage too much, but I think this discussion is focusing on important facets of Diana's character.

I don't think there is any doubt that Diana deluded herself about her relationship Charles, but I'm not talking about the fact that she didn't realize he wasn't "in love" with her. It was more than that: Diana didn't understand that he couldn't marry just for love.

Many people assumed that Charles focused only the fact that she was untouched and aristocratic (which certainly played a role). But one of the main attractions for Charles was that Diana seemed to be able to handle the media attention. From everything I have read, Charles and the palace were very impressed with her grace when dealing with photographers camping at her front door and following her everywhere she went. I think that is why Charles thought she was more secure and mature then she actually was.

In retrospect that was a red flag, but having someone who wouldn't fall apart under media pressure was something Charles absolutely needed in a wife. It is a known fact that Camilla absolutely hated the attention that went with dating Charles and several other girlfriends broke up with him for the same reason. Let's pretend the same set of facts except that Diana wasn't able handle the media, I don't think Charles would have married her.

But in the end, it was a double edged sword. Diana was a mass of contradictions on many levels, but her relationship with the media was love-hate. It eventually destroyed her. I'm not just talking about just the fact that the photographers were pursuing her, but also that she ran away from them that particular night. Even more, the fact that her choice to court the media was the reason the photographers relentlessly pursued her in the first place.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There was not too long ago in the Charles and Camilla - The Marriage (2005-on) a question raised where could there be a discussion of the C/D/C thing and we were actually directed to the Diana subforum but with warnings

"Note: [not directed at Roslyn] Heated arguments, repeated fabrications and misstatements [lies], personal clashes, deliberate provocations, tasteless comments and anything else the Moderators deem inappropriate will be deleted without notice or apology." (from Warren)

The different facets of Diana seems to be the best place and so far I've really enjoyed the discussion
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think everything happens for a reason and I also believe in destiny. I think Diana & Charles was meant to meet, marry and have children. Even though the marriage didn't last, I think there was a purpose to it. We wouldn't have William & Harry if they didn't get together.

I like taking the time to appreciate their short union and not just focusing on the bad. I think Charles also thank Diana for giving him the two men he's so proud of and clearly adore.
That´s true, I also believe that there is a reason behind everything that happens in life,even if we do not see or understand it. What is most important is that we try to make the best out of what life gives to us-even if it is bad and painful.
I do not believe that Diana and Charles were meant to be because they had very different personalities & hobbies, but they were both interested in charity and providing a good future for their sons. That´s what is the positive part and what will remain,because IMHO the marriage was doomed to fail :-(

To me Diana was very devoted to other people because she was an extraverted person and she was feeling most comfortable when she was able to communicate with other people. Giving hope,making people smile and trying to help them has given her a purpose,something meaningful that was worth her efforts. She did use her fame to promote important causes,at least she used her celebrity status and the massive attention she got from the press for something positive and meaningful.
There was a very interesting interdependence between the press and Diana-when she got engaged she was very shy and did not know how to handle the paparazzi and how to present herself,but over the years she learned how the media worked and she used it for her own interests too. They were making lots of money with her image and the (often completely fabricated) stories about her while she could use the media to create a positive image & get more attention for her charitable causes.
Diana also manipulated the media to tell her version of events about the marriage and divorce,something that I do not like because I believe couples should try to sort out their issues in private. She must have felt very angry and desperate during that time,maybe it was her way of taking "revenge" because she felt treated unfairly,the Panorama interview is of the same kind. It must have been liberating for her to talk about everything and expose the Windsor family,but it severely damaged the reputation of the BRF, especially Charles & Camilla.
After the divorce she seemed to be more confident and secure in her public role, she cut down on her work a bit,took time for herself and only selected a few charities that were very close to her heart. Just like Charles she had her main subjects and projects of interests and focused on promoting these causes. Rather than going from one meeting to another completely event she could concentrate, get immersed into the projects and work more efficiently.

All that said, I can say that I appreciate and respect Diana,Charles & Camilla for very different reasons-I try to see them as whole beings,not just in black & white
. Helen Keller
Old 06-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Courtier

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the media eventually begin to turn against Diana in the last few years of her life? Especially after the divorce.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
That´s true, I also believe that there is a reason behind everything that happens in life,even if we do not see or understand it. What is most important is that we try to make the best out of what life gives to us-even if it is bad and painful.
I do not believe that Diana and Charles were meant to be because they had very different personalities & hobbies..........................,

Blauerengel, it occurs to me that any kind of mutual interest would be a hard thing to find between a girl who hadn't yet become an adult woman and a man who had never been young.

However, there were moments. My late partner attended a party at the Royal Opera House during which a sketch from Romeo and Juliet was performed. Suddenly there appeared on the balcony NOT Juliet but Diana calling for her Romeo. Undaunted, Charles called for the stage manager to find him a ladder which he proceded to climb to access his Juliet. I don't think I need to tell you that their audience loved it. My late partner found himself at one point rubbing shoulders with her and confirmed that she was every bit as beautiful as she was said to be. He used the word "luminous."
Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the media eventually begin to turn against Diana in the last few years of her life? Especially after the divorce.
I'm not sure that the media turned against Diana as much as they are under a lot of pressure to find new material. Most media accepted Diana's version of events as absolute fact up until the time of the divorce. Broadcast ratings and sales of magazine and newspapers were way up, but they had to introduce new material. How many more times could they print the story of the wronged 20 year old girl who married a prince.

Also, Diana was moving on and doing new things, but she was making poor choices in her personal life. A lot of good will towards her was tied to her image as a good mother, but her sons were growing up and hated the press, so she couldn't just alert the press that she was taking them to an amusement park as often.

She was also dating again. Her romance with Dodi garnered criticism, not because he was a Muslim, but because most of us couldn't see the attraction.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Majesty

I'm not sure about her romance with Dodi. I really think his father tried to push his son on a lonely woman, despite him being engaged to another. Diana got herself into a bad situation with the Al-Fayed's, IMO.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Hanging out with the Al Fayeds does no ones reputation any good. The source of Mohammed Al Fayeds wealth has always been questionable and every British government (Conservative & Labour) since the early 70s had denied his request for British citizenship.

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style