The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
Defintely, that's true. His woman friends were all older and more sophisticated than her. I think that made her feel inferior, especially because she was a very insecure person, who put herself down, as for example when after almost hitting her head on something ( I believe this was during a foreign tour in the '80s), she said that it wouldn't have mattered if she had hit her head, since there was nothing in it, or something like that.
I can't recall there being any problems before the marriage, Diana seemed to get on OK with them, (and his much cherished Labrador, Harvey). It was only after they married that his female friends were ostracized, even those that had made every effort to include Diana.

As Menarue has said, the empty head comment can be put down to typical English humour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Perhaps you scared her!
Moi?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

For a time Skydragon I thought you were Camilla herself.

IMO Diana was very possesive of Charles when it came to women. She was very insecure.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Nobility

In some ways, she was right about Charles and women, or at least about Camilla. But she also showed such possessivness later in life with other men like Oliver Hoare and also Hasnat Khan, whom she wanted to marry, but who she was very possessive of, at least judging from some books I've read.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think her fear of losing Hasnat like she did with Charles made her possesive.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Nobility

I hadn't thought of that, but I would have to agree. She and Hasnat Khan basically broke up in the end. In Dodi, wherever the relationship was going, she had someone who seemed very attentive, but I believe he was engaged to a American model shortly before Diana whom he was in the midst of breaking it off with even as he dated Diana. But Dodi didn't have a job to interfere with being with Diana all the time. By contrast, Hasnat Khan was a heart surgeon and devoted to his job, and Prince Charles of course, had his royal duties.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
IMO Diana was very possesive of Charles when it came to women. She was very insecure.
I think it extended to any of his 'before' friends, anything or anyone that might be seen to steal him away from her, to take away his undivided attention. The fact that he tried to allow her freedom to spend time with her choice of friends, only added to her upset.

I honestly think it started with her father, when her mother left, they fought over her, she could get staff removed - that is how important she believed herself to be. Her world came crashing down when her father 'betrayed' her by remarrying. I think she envisaged controlling Charles as she had her father. She tried to control most conversations in the same way, IMO.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Nobility

She did later get along with Raine though, after her father's death and the years had passed. I doubt she would ever have forgiven Camilla, although I'm sure as the years went by Diana would have moved with her life and maybe found a second marriage and maybe another child and would have started getting more perspective on her first marriage.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Raine was a very forgiving person, but I still believe that Dianas possessiveness started with her parents divorce. I don't know where the controlling aspect of her personality stemmed from, perhaps having been powerless to control what her parents did, she tried to make sure she was always the one in control. If her friends didn't do as she wanted, they were discarded.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Nobility

That's true and that's an aspect of her the public was not aware in of in her lifetime when they related to her, the discarding of her friends like that, in some cases. That was a very hurtful thing to do. I guess it reminds you that Diana was human. It's really surprising she ever made up with Raine. She and her mother I believe weren't speaking when she died and she and her brother certainly didn't get along with her either at times, although some of that was his issue too, as when he didn't give her that house on his estate ( Althorp) that she wanted.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Royal Highness

At the time of her death she was not talking to her mother or second sister, Jane. She was somewhat close to her brother Charles. I think they made up about the house on the estate and Diana, Princess of Wales last Christmas was spent in South Africa with Earl Spencer. The only living family member, Diana was close to, was her sister Jane. Countess Raine Spencer's friendship was a promise she made her father. Also, Diana did have a support group of three women that she counted on through her life. She did not freeze everyone out.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sarah was the only sister she was talking to at the time of her death, not Jane. After the refusal to give Diana the house she wanted, although he did apparently offer her one he felt would be more suitable, things were still fraught between her and Charles, IMO. IIRC, the house she wanted was already occupied by a family.

She did have a couple of friends but they had not been there throughout her life, the Monktons had been friends of the Windsors before Diana arrived on the scene. She fell out with Lucia Fleche di Lima a couple of times but they were both willing to wait for Diana to call them as if nothing had happened, many got fed up with it after a while, IMO, and simply moved on.

Sad really.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn't know Diana and Luchi had a couple of falling outs but by the end of the Princess' life they were still close friends. The marriage made Diana very bitter and with the environment she lived in with courtiers and such its not that surprising that she had trust issues with some of her friends. But once the divorce was finalized there was a shift in Diana. Her relationship with Charles and the Queen were much better and she repaired her friendship with Elton John and from what I have read but I don't remember where, she was trying to get back in touch with Fergie some time that summer.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Nobility

Yes, she had fallen out with Fergie over Fergie mentioning in her bio that she wore Diana's shoes and they gave her worts or something. Diana felt insulted. That was just typical Fergie. But I know that when she died they weren't speaking. Fergie I read somewhere regreted that, because she always cared about Diana. They had been friends a long time, at least since the early '80s.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
She did have a couple of friends but they had not been there throughout her life, the Monktons had been friends of the Windsors before Diana arrived on the scene. She fell out with Lucia Fleche di Lima a couple of times but they were both willing to wait for Diana to call them as if nothing had happened, many got fed up with it after a while, IMO, and simply moved on.
Sad really.
From my readings, at the end of Diana, Princess of Wales life she had these friends you mention above. I think they really cared for her. In life you usually have family and very few good friends. I have always thought and stated that Diana was mentally sick and her parents divorce didn't help her. I think she did the best she could with her situation.

An example of devotion from her friend Lucia. When Diana's coffin was lying at KP, Lucia demanded that flowers be brought in from outside; no one thought of getting any flowers for Diana.
another example of devotion-Lucia also got up very early in the morning to accept calls from Diana. Lucia lived in the US and Diana called her from England before she started her day. She was her mother figure.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Yes, these friends if hers did really care about her, even though it's true they hadn't been with during all her life. When she was younger, she seemed to have female friends more her own age like Fergie, ( although that friendship endured a long time) and Catharine Soames and Kate Menzies. By the later '90s, Lucia Flecha de Lima, Rose Monkton, Annabel Goldsmith, (the mother of Jemima Khan, who she also was close to) had become her primary friends, and she also got close to Raine.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
She was her mother figure.
And yet her mother was still very much alive and her attempts at a reconciliation were ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiea View Post
Countess Raine Spencer's friendship was a promise she made her father
I wonder how Raine felt about this alleged promise as she and her belongings were thrown out immediately after the Earl, Raines husband, had died. I think it says more about Raines forgiving nature than anything else, especially after the stairs incident as well.
Sirhon - I agree there had been a change in Dianas behaviour, which had essentially remained the same since her days at school and the manipulation she exhibited then. Who knows what would have happened as time went past.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Posts concerning Frances Shand Kydd have been moved to the Diana's Mother thread where there is previous discussion of the relationship and its breakdown.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Gentry

I just started reading this thread and have a few ideas of my own. Remember Diana was only 6 when her parents separated. I don't know about you but when I was that age I wouldn't have understood what a separation let alone a divorce was. And children tend to blame themselves when things go wrong. "Was it something I did?" Her sisters were a bit older than her and away at school by that time. So she was all alone basically with a 3 years younger brother as company. I'm sure her dad was busy doing things to keep money in the home so wasn't always available. I'm sure he did the best he could but honestly most men aren't that good with emotions. Her mom was a couple of hours away by train. Abandonment is a huge fear of most people and I think it was a huge thing with Diana. If you think about it, she basically duplicated her parents' marriage. She may not have intended to but that was all she knew, so that was what she did. Plus I've always said it takes two to make a relationship and two to break it. It was both their fault's. But they made two beautiful boys and that is all that counts. Now lets have some more pictures okay?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
Yes, she had fallen out with Fergie over Fergie mentioning in her bio that she wore Diana's shoes and they gave her worts or something. Diana felt insulted. That was just typical Fergie. But I know that when she died they weren't speaking. Fergie I read somewhere regreted that, because she always cared about Diana. They had been friends a long time, at least since the early '80s.

I don't even believe Princess Diana had a wart to give.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:55 PM

For me, I always thought Diana was so happy and believed in the fairytale marriage but after reading the Morton book I realized just unhappy Diana was. Then hearing it directly from her on the Panorama interview. My heart really went out to Diana. I just wanted to give her a hug. But, I must say after all she been through she kept her dignity and composure in public. Always smiling even going through such personal pain. I admired her tremendously for that.

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style