The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Is boarding school still the only way to get a top degree? I thought 'normal' schools, where you go there the day and back home at night, were getting almost as good. Can someone explain me what is the difference between public and private schools in the UK? I've searched and both of them are defined as schools for which you must pay fees.
Public Schools tend to be places like Eton, Cheltenham, Marlborough and Ampleforth, these are seen as prestigious fee paying schools. They tend to have some history to them.

Private schools, which are again fee paying, can be set up by anybody.

Oxford, Cambridge and the top universities are more likely to take from public schools and many employers will favour degrees from these places. Many if not all of the top civil service jobs, are given to men and women who have studied there, with the major preference being given to those who came through the public school route. The 'Old boys club' is alive and well!
__________________

__________________
  #342  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
In the USA when you refer to public schools, it is meant that the schools are government funded and children go for free (apart from the city/state/federal taxes they pay).

Private schools are tuition based, meaning fee paying.
__________________

__________________
  #343  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,199
To add to what Skydragon has just said about schools, in addition to the fee paying schools, the "normal" or "state schools" are the local schools that are funded by the state, and where the vast majority of people in the UK send their children.
__________________
  #344  
Old 10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Thanks for the info.
In France, we mostly have 'normal' schools, for which you don't need to pay for. However, there's also what we call 'private' schools that are for the majority religious schools where religion is more or less alluded at during scholarship. You have to pay for these. The level is completely the same, on the contrary to what is said by people; sometimes, public schools have got even better degrees than private ones.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
  #345  
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post

As far as leaving the polo scene after marriage, it could just boil down to her being married and becoming her own person. For all we know, she never liked polo and outdoor sports. She attended because she was expected to, because that is what young ladies of her station did. Once given the liberty of deciding for herself, maybe she just didn't want to be around the horses and guns anymore and didn't want her children around them either.
I'd further endeavour to suggest that Diana's absence from polo in the latter years would/could have been influenced by the fact that a good many people from within Charles' and the RF circle attended aswell. Now, why on earth would have she wished to attend when her estranged husbands 'set' were out and about? Quite simply, she wouldn't and not many women in such an unfortunate position would, imo.

The Windsors and polo go together like wine and cheese. Add to the mix their friends and you have yourself an accompaniment of 'crackers' too boot!
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #346  
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Some perhaps, but by no means all. It is one thing to be teased because your parents have/are divorcing, as you say it is the norm but to have your mother appear on the BBC to inform the world how awful everyone was, must have been absolutely humiliating. I can't imagine the terrible distress that must have caused them.
Especially as she was saying that Charles should not be the next king but William! Because of the way he was raised by her, no less. Just what kind of ammunition this gives to kids, willing to plague William. On the return from the weekend at home: "What kind of lesson did you learn this time about being king, William?" Or just "Mummy's boy - do what she wants and she'll make you king", or if he claimed someting had been told to him by Charles: "Why should we be interested in what your father thinks when he is not fit to be king"? Stuff like that. Severe ammunition against William, IMHO.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #347  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
In the USA when you refer to public schools, it is meant that the schools are government funded and children go for free (apart from the city/state/federal taxes they pay).

Private schools are tuition based, meaning fee paying.
Public schools in England started out as public but we're talking hundreds of years ago. Nowadays the public schools are the most prestigious of the private schools.

Skydragon is right that Oxford and Cambridge draw disproportionately from the public schools and some of the other fee-paying schools (private schools). I went to a state grammar school (the British equivalent of a US public school) and we were told at the beginning of our A-level course that we shouldn't bother to try and get into Oxford or Cambridge because nobody from our school ever did, regardless of how good their exam results were. In the meantime, people with less good results from the local private school would get into Oxford and Cambridge at the rate of about half a dozen a year.

Once you get to university, the degree you get depends on how well you do there, not on which school you came from; however, the school you came from does have some bearing on which universities you can go to in the first place. A lot of people will tell you that it has nothing to do with the "old boys' network" but just with merit, but I have to say that that wasn't my experience, after seeing a highly talented musician in my year at school, with excellent O-level and A-level results and several years as a member of the National Youth Orchestra, being turned down flat by both Oxford and Cambridge without even an interview.
__________________
  #348  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Could we please lose these personal digs against other posters? It's getting to be like a minefield in here. With the best will in the world, we can't get inside Diana's head, or Camilla's head, or William's head, so a lot of these declarations about how they feel are just our suppositions and common sense talking - which is fair enough, but it's not the same as fact.
__________________
  #349  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
In the meantime, people with less good results from the local private school would get into Oxford and Cambridge at the rate of about half a dozen a year.
Talking about the price of excellency!
We have these kind of schools here too but now, they are getting forced by the Government to allow kids from difficult backgrounds in. After a secondary school diploma, most of the schools are free - except if you want to go in a private university.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
  #350  
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,248
This is my opinion exactly, Elspeth. We can surmise or guess, but it's better to preface those statements with a "Perhaps" or "I think" rather than stating things as a bold fact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
With the best will in the world, we can't get inside Diana's head, or Camilla's head, or William's head, .
__________________
  #351  
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Once you get to university, the degree you get depends on how well you do there, not on which school you came from; however, the school you came from does have some bearing on which universities you can go to in the first place. A lot of people will tell you that it has nothing to do with the "old boys' network" but just with merit, but I have to say that that wasn't my experience, after seeing a highly talented musician in my year at school, with excellent O-level and A-level results and several years as a member of the National Youth Orchestra, being turned down flat by both Oxford and Cambridge without even an interview.
Take 4 youngsters, with the same First Class Honours Degree, all applying for Two positions at the same company or civil service. Two have degrees' awarded by Oxbridge, Two have degrees' awarded by a less prestigious university - the Two who went to Oxbridge will get the jobs, regardless of the others ability, because most firms/services still see/judge you on what university you received your degree from. If you went to any of the pestigious universities, the chances are you were educated at one of the public (top old fee paying) schools.
__________________
  #352  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,756
I didn't know that about Oxford and Cambridge, and I'm disappointed.

In our system entrance to university is based on merit alone. If a student from a very humble background attending a public (in the true sense) school in a depressed socio-economic area works hard enough and gets top scores he/she can get into the most desirable courses at the university of his her choice. I suppose some employers will always still favour applicants from their own sort of background, but, subject to personal habits and general demeanour (e.g. wear appropriate clothes, use appropriate language, don't be over-familiar with the interviewer and don't spit into the pot plants) merit is generally what counts here in a job interview.
__________________
  #353  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
merit is generally what counts here in a job interview.
And I'm so very glade of it...
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
  #354  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree MARG. Not I could play devil's advocate until I am blue in the face, but in the end, if one is inclined to see her in a negative light, that's all there is to it.
That's why this thread is called "Differenct Facets of Diana". . . . it is bound to expose our different "takes" on said facets as well. And that is not a bad thing because if everyone agreed with everyone else these threads would all be about a page and a half long!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #355  
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
It would get awfully quiet around here. Especially for us Britain mods!
__________________
  #356  
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Pixilated's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kailua, United States
Posts: 305
I remember the day she died.It was on the radio and a day later someone brought in a magazine devoted to her, must have been People.I didn't know much about her, I was quite young.But as I got older I read a lot about her.She seems to have been such a caring,loving, special person who unfortunately was greatly misunderstood and targeted by the media.I wish life could have been longer and happier for her.
__________________
  #357  
Old 11-05-2008, 05:08 PM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
I think Diana, Princess of Wales said something like this - that her actions came from her heart and that would get her in trouble. So this is the facet - SHE IS ALL HEART - that I remember about her.
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
  #358  
Old 11-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Russophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 4,077
I just remember her being so beautiful and stylish. The woman couldn't go WRONG. No matter what the tabloids had said (the "What were you thinking??" on a questionable outfit) she always looked great.
__________________
  #359  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I just remember her being so beautiful and stylish. The woman couldn't go WRONG. No matter what the tabloids had said (the "What were you thinking??" on a questionable outfit) she always looked great.
Insofar as fashion is concerned she was a near as perfect as you could get.

If you look at some of the clothes she wore in the 80's you cringe until you look at your own pics from that era and realise how ghastly the whole decade was . . . with a (very) few exceptions, lets call them the "Diana Effect". . . . . she was the perfect clotheshorse.

The British fashion industry struck gold when she arrived on the scene and she dictated a lot of fashion and style trends which were slavishly followed by other fashion houses.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #360  
Old 03-16-2009, 05:02 PM
needlove's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: york, United Kingdom
Posts: 3
When I was about 4 years old, I asked my mother whether this princess I saw on television was real. Before then, I never realised that princes and princesses existed, I thought they were fantasy. And there there was, this real live princess, Princess Diana [she was HRH at the time]. I was captivated by her, I thought she was so beautiful. I guess she reminded me of my own mother; tall, slim, blonde, Sloaney style, same accent etc.

I went to a CofE school, Diana and the rest of the royal family naturally came up in conversation a lot. I have vivid memories of her being on the cover of Hello and The Times, especially when I was learning to read. I remember watching all those Newsround stories about her taking the boys to Thorpe Park, the divorce, her losing her HRH styling. She was most defiantly my hero, I remember thinking that I wanted to look like her.

My mother watched the Panorama interview when it was broadcast. I was 5 going on 6 at the time, acutely aware of what she was saying. I was sat on the floor, still in my school uniform; we'd been out, my mother let me stay up late. I just remember thinking why was the door open during the interview.

In August 1997, we were holidaying in Majorca. I remember asking my step brother where Diana was, he just pointed north. I was most defiantly aware of the hype surrounding her and Dodi. The night we came home was the night she died. We were flying over Paris when it happened (obviously we didn't see anything). I woke at 6am, put the TV on and found out what happened. I was frozen with shock; my hero was dead. I didn't believe it. I ran upstairs to my mum and told her, she didn't believe me at first.

As I grew older, whenever people said her name I would just be overcome with melancholy. I can't really explain it. I've read the Andrew Morton book, every time I read them I cried. I couldn't believe what actually happened to her in her life. Like everyone else I saw parallels between her life and mine, the unstable family life, bulimia etc. The more I've learnt about her the more respect I have.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do you like Diana? juliamontague Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 222 12-21-2011 03:40 AM
New Diana Princess Maxima Royal Chit Chat 115 08-23-2009 08:45 AM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]