The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by judith14011 View Post
One thing about Diana that made her extremely special was that she photographed so well no matter what she looked like. The camera loved her - I don't recall a photo where she didn't look gorgeous - make up done, hair done or not. One of my favorites is when she had her hair soaked in an outdoor concert by Pavarotti. She slicked it back and still looked stunning. The only real hair style that I didn't particularly like was the one in NY when it was slicked down on purpose - not her best look and yet she still looked wonderful.
I can only remember one photo where she looked terrible and that was when she tried a hairdo with gel. It just didn´t suit her. My hairdresser told me that most people when they want her to style their hair still ask for a cut like Princess Diana - of course they can´t get it, she had fabulous hair.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angl3 View Post
But why is Diana looking weak in her long hair????
What do you mean by 'weak', Angl3?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Aristocracy

I mean unhealthy!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angl3 View Post
I mean unhealthy!!!
Well, in retrospect her bulima did have an effect on her looks. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Aristocracy

Yes i m talking about that!
Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Commoner

Diana's hair dresser

Diana's hair dresser has to be famous for he has accentuated the beauty of Diana by her look, making her lovely blues eyes be brighter by her hair style. Why is this hair dresser staying in the darK No one has ever thought who he might be?

Nazma FOURRE
Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

She was so desperate for guidance, but she took it from the wrong people and ignored it from people who had her best interests at heart and could have helped her. That's part of her tragedy IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Frightening people makes them dependant to you and I guess this is what all those people did to Diana in order to profit from her.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
^I never thought about it that way oh lord, maybe that explains Diana's fears or she was genuinly paranoid one of the two.
But you can't live your life like that. What's going to happen, is going to happen. Otherwise you end up looking foolish like the Regan's did. . .
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

^Oh no, I totally agree, that was wrong of her to do, at first I was like ok maybe she was a bit paranoid but it's not as bad as some people say then when I heard everything from the inquest I was just like man what was wrong with Diana why in the world did she feel like this but I guess it is somewhat explainable if you think about it, like has been mentioned in here already
Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Other than the stalkers, I am not sure who would want her dead. She wasn't in politics like Benizar Butto. The IRA wasn't after her, (I don't think the IRA is after anybody anymore, they've disbanded, haven't they?) so I'm not sure what she would have to be paranoid about. But then again, I don't live in the Royal Fish bowl so I wouldn't know. . .
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Ya, I know what you mean, even the idea of the BRF wanting her dead, I still can't grasp that idea, hello she was the mother of the future king, didn't she realize that why would they want the mother of the future king killed like it doesn't make sense to me, but like you said we don't live in the Royal fish bowl.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ya, I know what you mean, even the idea of the BRF wanting her dead, I still can't grasp that idea, hello she was the mother of the future king, didn't she realize that why would they want the mother of the future king killed like it doesn't make sense to me, but like you said we don't live in the Royal fish bowl.
Hm, I don't think she was able to have a pragmatic look at her own existence anymore. She had experienced that she was loved by so many who never have met her but despised by some who knew her, so she had learned the hard truth that charisma has two sides to it. It attracts people's strong emotions towards you but those can be both positive and negative emotions and most of them are self-serving for the person who feels them. What she might have grasped was that what she wanted was adoration and love, she wanted surely to be the subject, the partner in strong relationships, not the object of other people's projections caused by her charisma.

So with these healers she probably felt like the subject, the center. They used their abilities to do something for her, she probably thought, and didn't see how she was used by them.

OTOH realising the strong emotions she could fire up in other people, she must have felt that it's dangerous to touch people so deeply. Stalkers come to mind, terrorists looking for a symbol to kill, or simply people who adored her and felt rebuked, so could become vicious. She must have experienced that her "touch" did not only open the door for positive feelings and it's easy to get afraid if you don't have in addition the inner feeling of a "mission" to help you cope with that. Religious or political leaders have both: charisma and a mission, a belief to guide them, so they can cope with the effects of their gift and use it to their advantage. Diana had no mission, only charisma and that frightened her. IMHO, of course.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Nobility

I on the other hand think Diana did have charisma Jo. She was loved by many, but the truth is she earned the public's trust. That in a nutshell speaks volumes. Diana was kind and may we say charming. I know her placement as the future Queen of England alone put her on a pedestal that may have given her the limelight that led to a phenomena, but it was her guts, her humanity and iron will that captured us and made us look upon her life so intricately and interestingly. I miss this woman as I do other iconic heroes who stood up and prevailed for the benefit of all and are gone; John Lennon for example. I don't mean to chastise you Jo. I think even though you may be well informed, it contrasts something that many of us took for granted, that is, that Diana was a beautiful Princess. Maybe it's me that's wrong somehow as you are very informed from what I gather and may know otherwise, but she was a phenomena as I grew up. I will always love her for being spirited and kind inclined. Kudos to her.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Royalty View Post
I on the other hand think Diana did have charisma Jo. She was loved by many, but the truth is she earned the public's trust. That in a nutshell speaks volumes. Diana was kind and may we say charming. I know her placement as the future Queen of England alone put her on a pedestal that may have given her the limelight that led to a phenomena, but it was her guts, her humanity and iron will that captured us and made us look upon her life so intricately and interestingly. I miss this woman as I do other iconic heroes who stood up and prevailed for the benefit of all and are gone; John Lennon for example. I don't mean to chastise you Jo. I think even though you may be well informed, it contrasts something that many of us took for granted, that is, that Diana was a beautiful Princess. Maybe it's me that's wrong somehow as you are very informed from what I gather and may know otherwise, but she was a phenomena as I grew up. I will always love her for being spirited and kind inclined. Kudos to her.
But I did say that she had charisma, I only argued that she couldn't cope with it. I think that was her real problem: she was spontanous, empathic and feeling - and that's why all went so terribly wrong. If she had been one of those "tough cookies" like most successful celebrities are, she would not have suffered so much and had been able to control the situation she was in. Courts are places where the Machiavellian temperament always felt at home but Diana was no conscious Machiavelli. She was IMHO reigned mostly by her guts feelings and so made mistake after mistake. Same with Charles, IMHO - so both were ruled by the circumstances, pushed and changed. From "jolly good girl" she changed to a star with diva allures pushed by people's fanatical reactions to her. They saw some kind of deity in her and over the years she began feeling like one. But to be a deity and to reign supreme you can't afford to have inner insecurities and be emotional. You need control and understanding of the people around you and of your image. Otherwise you'll end like her. Divorced and reduced to the "love" of the likes of Dodi-latin-lover-types.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Nobility

I don't think Charles would have chosen Diana for marriage and she agreed, had they both known the tentative environment as heirs to the British throne would be something they could not handle and aspire in. In the involvement to the heirs of the throne I'm sure their are speculations and expectations that make the members knowing of what is proper and genuine royal conduct. In that sense, to me, existing royals are brave and in all their being they must exhibit candor that makes them gutsy, whimsical, sensitive, loyal, and mostly honor bound.
To me the environment filled with the various circumstances, cultures and many intricacies calls upon those remaining members to make decisions that are good or bad, correct or wrong. In that sense I can only speculate with the information I have now of Princess Diana and that is of my recollections upon growing up and frequented through the media of the British reign in the making. I have as of yet to read much about royals other than what I find here so I may one day find otherwise in concerns to Diana, but I favor to think not. I will always look admiringly at Diana for she and Charles roused the world's community with their philanthropic endeavors.
Personally I will be grateful and grateful that I got to witness events and news by myself growing up in the US. Not meaning to say that you have no validity or that your postings are not backed by factual knowledge. But it sounds like you describe someone I learned to love in a way that contradicts the person we speak of. Maybe I need to venture into books by those close to Diana. And I will at some point. Thanks for responding Jo. Not bashing on you.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
but it was her guts, her humanity and iron will that captured us and made us look upon her life so intricately and interestingly.
Diana 'captured' some people's interest because she portrayed the victim, purely and simply. Some fell in love with the glamour of her being a princess.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Maybe I need to venture into books by those close to Diana. And I will at some point. Thanks for responding Jo. Not bashing on you.
Maybe you could start on reading the protocolls of the inquest into Diana's death as you can read here a lot of statements of people who shared the last days of her life with her and tell about it under oath, so are threatened with prosecution in case of lying.

You can find the protocols here:
Inquests into the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Mr Dodi Al Fayed: Hearing transcripts
Old 10-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Royal Highness

charisma is a wonderful thing to have if you know how to use it but did diana have charisma or did she just have people wanting to be associated with her because of her celebrity? yes...the public adored her but it doesn't take charisma for that.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Diana 'captured' some people's interest because she portrayed the victim, purely and simply. Some fell in love with the glamour of her being a princess.
Yes, you're right but I remember I was really shocked and sad the morning news of her death broke because I had thought she had finally found a way to make positive use of her celebrity at the landmine campaign.

Of course I had never bought into her being a victim, I rather pitied Charles for having been saddled with such a wife and could well understand from early on why he turned to Camilla - they just were too different, I thought and that Diana should have shown more understanding and souverainity on dealing with this fact instead of starting the War of the Waleses out of possesiveness and hurt feeling.

But it really took me a lot of further reading to form my opinion of today that while Charles had wronged her as well as she had wronged him, she surely was the more vindictive in her reaction and that while they both were somewhat victims of the circumstances, there was much more negative energy speaking from what she did than from what Charles did in terms of taking action. Charles suffered, maybe not silently enough, but Diana revenged herself which Charles IMHO didn't. He didn't retaliate apart from disconnecting himself from her as much as possible and of course their envirnment took sides but I have yet to see prove that Charles purposefully tried to destroy her position actively while there is enough proof around that she did exactly that.

But still I think that her death was a lost for the humanitarian causes she might have championed.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe that Diana was a style icon and fashion houses loved her. Not for her daily press whinging and whining about the cost of her designer clothes. She just smiled that "Shy Di" smile and literally slayed them in the aisles.

The Inquest into her death finally exposed the face behind the photos. And, it is not surprising that most of us were blown away by who and what she really was, what she was doing and what she was saying. In short, if we are honest, we didn't even recognise the person discussed at that Inquest.

Her whole persona was an outward "act". Behind the facade we learned that she was paranoid, (MI5 wanted to kill her, the ubiquitous "grey men" where trying to undermine her, etc) narcisistic, manipulative and vindictive.

I think that she was a complex personality and, if she had been anyone but the Princess of Wales, she would have received the therapy she so desperately needed.

I believe hat she thought that she was the centre of the universe and everyone orbited around her. And, while I have no doubt that she adored her sons, it does not make her treatment of them any the less thoughtless.

Most surprising of all is the exposed relationship between Charles and his sons which is all the more extrodinary since Diana had spend a lot of time promoting the image of Charles as a remote and somewhat uncaring father. She emphasised that she and she alone gave them the love they needed.

So intrenched was that image of a the BRF as cold, distant and disfunctional, that noone was very surprised at Earl Spencer's eulogy being more of a rant against the Windsors and their fitness to raise Diana's children, and emphasising that her family would continue to ensure that they wer loved.

Time has given the lie to many misconceptions surrounding Diana's life and death, and I think shorting out the truth from the lies is no easy task.

Tags
bridesmaid, dance, diana princess of wales, pregnancy, princess diana, princess diana lady spencer, style