The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2006, 08:15 PM

The VC maybe, the HRH - no.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is probably posted above somewhere, but I've only just read it. It seems to answer the question. I doubt William would even try in light of what's said here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/politics97/diana/hrh.html

Old 11-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
No, tabloid invention. Apparantly, the Queen offered to let Diana keep her HRH but DIANA refused to. The Queen did ask Diana to reconsider her decision but she said no. The fact is that the Queen took away Diana's HRH whether because she wanted it, Charles wanted it or Diana wanted it. If William re-instates it, he better give the Duchess of Windsor her HRH too and I hope he'll be able to live comfortably in exile because the moment he makes our current Queen look a fool, he'll lose every scrap of support he has. He'd be either defying the Queen's wishes, going against what his mother wanted and he'd be showing a true insult to his father and step-mother. Add to that the fact that he can't give Di back her HRH anyway and we finally lay this absurd suggestion to rest.
I very much doubt that the citizens of the UK would force William into exile simply for restoring his mother's title of HRH, if he chooses to change the rules and do so. At least, I would hope that they would need a much more serious reason for denying a reigning King what is, after all, his birthright.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:56 PM

Of course it wouldnt hinge on that issue but it would cheapen and make a mockery of the way we style the Royal Family. It would open up title debate, which would lead to honours reform, title reform and then we'd start the long road to Republic. William is not and never will be in a position to change the rules. Monarchs have worked incredibly hard to give us the monarchy we have today and William cannot and should not start hacking away at it to please a foreign minority.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William is not and never will be in a position to change the rules.
Though as sovereign, William will be in a position to propose changes if and where its deemed appropriate and where such changes can in reality, be observed. To say he won't, is not an accurate statement.

The question is whether or not he intends to do so (I, like you, don't think he intends to reinstate a HRH style to his late mother), and whether such changes shall have the support of the appropriate parliamentary powers required to review, and subsequently pass, such amendments.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:25 PM

He'll be King - that doesn't mean he can pick apart the fabric of a monarchy 1,000 years in the making.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

But BeatrixFan, if Charles can marry Camilla a divorcee why can't William give his mother her HRH title back.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
But BeatrixFan, if Charles can marry Camilla a divorcee why can't William give his mother her HRH title back.
Maybe because she died?
Old 11-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I see no reason for it as well. I assume Prince William could have had the title back, upon becoming a King, but what's the reason? Why would it be done after so many years?
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

What would be the point, by the time William is King, Diana will not be in the forefront of most peoples minds, already a lot of the younger generation only know her as Williams dead mother, IMO.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Exactly. Diana is dead. She won't get the HRH because she didn't want it when she was alive. Wallis wanted it and never got and will never get it now - because she's dead. I'm afraid that however much her fans would like it, the Queen won't give it back, Charles won't and nor will William - Diana made it very clear that she didn't want it after the divorce so giving it to her would go against her wishes.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He'll be King - that doesn't mean he can pick apart the fabric of a monarchy 1,000 years in the making.
I don' think he would want or even intends to to any great extent, but he will be able to the 'pick the string' of pretty much anything he wishes (within accordance to the powers he shall hold).

His grandmother has made some changes, and no doubt his father shall make changes (it shall be interesting to see the layout of Charles' coronation for one).
Old 11-25-2006, 07:16 PM

But he can't start giving out HRHs to tombstones. And effectively, thats what he'd be doing. It's just three letters but those three letters would start a debate on monarchy at a time when we really want to hold that debate off.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But he can't start giving out HRHs to tombstones. And effectively, thats what he'd be doing. It's just three letters but those three letters would start a debate on monarchy at a time when we really want to hold that debate off.
BeatrixFan,

I 'see' where your coming from, there's no question of that. A Diana admirer I am (I seem to be one of only a few who actually like both Diana and Camilla..haha), but I dont see what good restoring his late mothers HRH shall achieve. If Diana were alive then of course it would be different but she isn't.

I can also understand why others would like for it to happen and there's nothing wrong with that They are quite right to feel the way they do about it.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Royal Highness

King in 25-30 years

Let us assume that Prince William will become King in 25-30 years, when his father is over 80 years old.

Then at that moment, his mother will already be dead for almost 4 decades.
I highly doubt the new King will start waking up the sleeping dogs.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well I guess only time will tell if william will give Diana her HRH title back.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
Well I guess only time will tell if william will give Diana her HRH title back.
Absolutely sirhon11234.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:16 PM

Well no, it won't. We know it won't happen. It can't happen.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

There was a time when we thought it couldn't happen that the wife of a royal duke wasn't granted an HRH, but the royal family seem to be able to rewrite the rules when they really want to. As others have said, I think it'd be very unlikely, but I'd hesitate to be so definitive.

The very fact that restoring Diana's HRH was discused after her death, even though it wasn't actually an offer, suggests that there's at least a theoretical possibility that it could happen.

Mind you, if some tragedy knocks out the whole of the Wales family and Beatrice becomes queen, I wonder if Sarah will be getting her HRH back.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well no, it won't. We know it won't happen. It can't happen.
BeatrixFan,

No one can rule somethng out in actuality on the basis of personal opinion. It can happen but whether it does or not is another matter. Like you, I don't believe it will (I can certainly be proven wrong) and I don't find it necessary to the memory of Diana, Princess of Wales but to state, categorically, that it won't happen is not something we can foresee.

I understand that it is your personal view (and a view shared by others I'm positive) but that's all it is (respectively).

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana, styles and titles