The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Gentry

Branchg, although in all other cases I would agree with you, I am a bit unsure about Camilla's becoming queen due to the circumstances of the wedding. I read an article in the Guardian (I think) about whether the Archbishop would be able to crown Camilla given the Church's position on remarriage of divorcees. The article said that the Archbishop of Canterbury had expressed doubts as to whether he could in fact crown Camilla because the Church technically views the marriage as not religiously valid. Do you know whether the Church could crown a woman as queen if she, as a divorcee, could not be married in the Church of England? I think it will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

The church does allow remarriage of divorcees nowadays, so that shouldn't be an issue. I should think the last thing the government and the church would want is a situation where Charles becomes king and Camilla is automatically queen but she can't be crowned because the church doesn't recognise her legal status. That would raise all sorts of awkward questions about whether the government really is in charge of the laws or whether the church has the final say. Considering the drop in the number of observant Anglicans over the years, I don't think this is a situation the church would be keen to get into.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Gentry

But Elspeth, isn't the Church's position on divorce the reason that Charles and Camilla were married in a civil ceremony? I thought that the Church still did not allow for remarriage. Oops...well, in that case, I guess that solves that. It's probably just as well, too. Although I am not Camilla's greatest fan, I don't particularly want to see a situation like what may happen in the Netherlands, according to some reports which say that Maxima may not become Queen, and instead have HM The King and HRH The Princess Maxima.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Nobility

What is that all about Princess Maxima? Maybe something for another thread...but just curious.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Elizabeth
But Elspeth, isn't the Church's position on divorce the reason that Charles and Camilla were married in a civil ceremony? I thought that the Church still did not allow for remarriage. Oops...well, in that case, I guess that solves that. It's probably just as well, too. Although I am not Camilla's greatest fan, I don't particularly want to see a situation like what may happen in the Netherlands, according to some reports which say that Maxima may not become Queen, and instead have HM The King and HRH The Princess Maxima.
The church is a lot more tolerant these days. It allows the marriage of divorcees, but still tends to frown on a divorcee getting married to someone involved in the disintegration of the first marriage. Although local clergy have some flexibility about this, the high profile of the people involved in this case and the obvious involvement of Camilla in the breakup of the Wales marriage would have made it very unwise for the archbishop to allowed a remarriage in church. That doesn't preclude Camilla being Queen when Charles is King because the wife of the King is the Queen Consort automatically. It's possible that an old-fashioned archbishop might refuse to crown Charles or Camilla or both of them because of the remarriage during the lifetime of one of the previous marriage partners. However, Camilla would still be Queen unless special legislation was passed to prevent it. I'm not really sure what significance it would have if we had an uncrowned monarch; the coronation ceremony is basically religious, it isn't a legal requirement. My suspicion is that if an archbishop did decide to be difficult about crowning either or both of them, it'd be a large step down the road of disestablishing the Church of England.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Commoner

In other words, HRH Camilla has and will have exactly the same rights/rites and titles as Diana did aside from her family ones, obviously.
She is HRH Princess of Wales (or however one wants to put it) in my book, and she will be Queen.

Princess Charles??
Old 05-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Marie
In other words, HRH Camilla has and will have exactly the same rights/rites and titles as Diana did aside from her family ones, obviously.
She is HRH Princess of Wales (or however one wants to put it) in my book, and she will be Queen.

Princess Charles??
I think the general expectation at this point is that Camilla will be Queen and it would be ludicrous for her to be HRH The Princess Consort instead.

We'll have to wait and see what the public temperature is when Charles ascends the throne.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

This thread isn't really for discussing Camilla's unique situation; however, it's true that her titles now are the same as those which Diana held before her divorce. It remains to be seen what happens in the future about whether Camilla becomes Queen or Princess Consort or if William decides to try and restore his mother's HRH posthumously.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
This thread isn't really for discussing Camilla's unique situation; however, it's true that her titles now are the same as those which Diana held before her divorce. It remains to be seen what happens in the future about whether Camilla becomes Queen or Princess Consort or if William decides to try and restore his mother's HRH posthumously.
What if Diana ( had she lived) had chosen NOT to remarry. What if charles had gone ahead and married camilla. What would have happened to the "Diana , Princess of Wales " title. Would she have kept that and camilla be known as HRH, The Princess of Wales? Therefore having 2 . 'Princess of Wales"?

OR would Diana become known as "Diana, former Princess of Wales"?
Old 05-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemac63
What if Diana ( had she lived) had chosen NOT to remarry. What if charles had gone ahead and married camilla. What would have happened to the "Diana , Princess of Wales " title. Would she have kept that and camilla be known as HRH, The Princess of Wales? Therefore having 2 . 'Princess of Wales"?
After her divorce in 1996 The Princess of Wales became known as Diana, Princess of Wales based on the divorce settlement signed by the Queen, although even this style would have lapsed if Diana had remarried.

Quote:
OR just Lady Diana Spencer or Lady Diana Mountbatten-Windsor.
Btw. little pity that Diana like Mathilde or Maxima Diana don't has a title of Princess in her own right or other title like Princess Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's unlikely Diana would have retained the style of a divorcee with a marriage on the horizon for Charles and Camilla. There is no way the public would have accepted a remarriage for Charles without Diana being granted sufficient title and rank in her own right as the mother of a future king.

That's assuming, of course, The Queen (and the Prime Minister) would have been prepared to approve the marriage of Charles and Camilla had Diana lived.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katemac63

Charles's remarriage wouldn't affect Diana's title; only Diana's remarriage would have done that. She would have still been Diana, Princess of Wales. If Diana had still been alive, I presume Camilla would have done the same as she did in reality and be known as HRH the Duchess of Cornwall, not because the Princess of Wales title wasn't available but because of the public perception of her taking over Diana's title.

If Charles and Diana had divorced and some completely new person, uninvolved in the marriage breakup, had become Charles's second wife, it would have been quite possible for her to have been HRH the Princess of Wales and for Diana to have been Diana, Princess of Wales. That sort of thing happens all the time when remarriages occur. Lord Snowdon's second wife was the Countess of Snowdon during Princess Margaret's lifetime.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

All true. However, with divorce, Diana no longer held the title "Princess of Wales". It was simply a style, similar to a surname, which is the same for all divorcees of peers until they remarry.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Commoner

If If Charles predeceased Diana

I know that William would have become the heir, but what would have happened to Diana? What would her title have become and would she have forever been considered an HRH?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Royal Highness

HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales or: HRH Diana, Princess of Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeNC
I know that William would have become the heir, but what would have happened to Diana? What would her title have become and would she have forever been considered an HRH?
The very official style is:

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales becomes Her Royal Highness The Dowager Princess of Wales

However due to negative connotations of the word "Dowager," Diana could have requested her mother-in-law to be styled as a divorcee, but then with the HRH. Because Diana would remain a member of the Royal Family (the divorce can not take place) she would also enjoy the style HRH.

Her Royal Highness Diana, Princess of Wales

-----

Example;

Her Grace The Duchess of Grafton becomes Her Grace The Dowager Duchess of Grafton

However due to negative connotations of the word "Dowager," many widows choose to be styled as a divorcee, except keeping their style.

So, Her Grace The Duchess of Grafton becomes Her Grace Anne, Duchess of Grafton
Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 PM

Seperated, Diana would have remained HRH The Princess of Wales until William married. She would not have been the Dowager until there was another Princess of Wales. When William married, she would probably have become a Duchess in her own right.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Majesty

Of course if she remarried the situation could have changed but how I am not sure - I suspect she might then have had to be given an HRH in her own right or might have lost it due to remarriage - anyone.....
Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness

She could have also petitioned the queen to use the style HRH Princess Diana.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:05 PM

If Diana remarried, it would be likely that she'd cease to be an HRH and her title but as EmpressRouge said, it would depend on the Queen. Diana would have had to ask the Queen to decide her title.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Of course if she remarried the situation could have changed but how I am not sure - I suspect she might then have had to be given an HRH in her own right or might have lost it due to remarriage - anyone.....
I don't know the answer, but I suspect she would have been given an HRH and title in her own right. As sole parent of the heir she would have been in a much stronger and more influential position within the RF than she ever could have been as an ex-HRH after the divorce. She would want to be able to keep the HRH and title when she remarried, and I think that idea would probably have met little resistance. I am sure she would have remarried.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana, styles and titles