The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

"Being a princess is not what's it's cracked up yo be".

Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Nobility

The following is an extract from the infamous Squidgygate. In a retrospect, it is so poignant and true.

Quote:
DIANA: "Ummm. Fergie said to me, today, that she had lunch with Nigel Havers, the other day, 'and all he could talk about, was you.'; and I said, 'Oh, Fergie, how awful for you,' and she said, 'Don't worry, it's the admiration club.' A lot of people talk to her about me, which she can't help."

GILBEY: "I tell you, Darling, she's desperate to hang onto your coattails."

DIANA: "Well, she can't."

GILBEY: "No, she absolutely can't. Now, you have to make that quite clear......"

DIANA: "If you want to be like me, you have got to suffer."

GILBEY: "Oh, Squidgey!!"

DIANA: "Yeah; you have to; and then, you get what you ..........?"

GILBEY: "Get what you want."

DIANA: "No; get what you deserve, perhaps."

Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 AM
Nobility

A very unexpected speech when Diana attended a London charity event in 1993.

Quote:
"Ladies and gentleman, I was supposed to have my head down the loo (toilet) for most of the day. I'm supposed to be dragged off the minute I leave here by men in white coats. (But) if it's all right with you, I thought I might postpone my nervous breakdown to a more appropriate moment."
Actually, I found it amazing that Diana was always able to postpone her nervous breakdown to a more private moment to save all those embarrassments supposed to be.

So lucky the Britain was, considering she was thought to be so emotional unstable and unpredictable, Diana had had never such a breakdown during her dozen of oversea trips on behalf of Britain. Save Britain so many potential disgraces.

However, more admiration should go to the courtiers in the palace, bearing in mind that she was so unstable, they still had the guts to let her go out to represent Britain so many times. Were they dancing on the blade?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Gentry

Just a point here . I can tell from reading your replies that some of you really do not understand the British sense of humour . Especially the humour of the upper classes who can be completely hilarious and live teasing each other . We Brits love a bit of self depreciating humour and put downs for family members and friends are always done affectionately and received with a burst of laughter .
Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Nobility

I don't think Diana's words was a mere self-depreciation. It was also a fightback to those claims that she was emotionally VERY unstable and unpreditable. That is why she said "I thought I might postpone my nervous breakdown to a more appropriate moment." If she was really that unstable and unpreditable, in no way she was able to control WHEN and WHERE her nervous breakdown should take place.

In my previous post I just used some sarcastic comments to point out the illogicalness of those "unstable and unpreditable" claims. Especially, if those courtiers in the palace did not trust Diana's self-control on her emotion, in no way they would have allowed her so many official oversea visits. Take the comparison to the Crown Princess Masako of Japan for example, because her mentally illness, Japanese royal family have seldom allowed her foreign visits since 2002.

I think main issue of her, more than her mental problem, is that she was too much spoiled through her whole life. A lot of her excessive behaviors looked exactly a very spoiled kid to me.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Courtier

Anbrida, Princess Diana admitted to throwing herself down a flight of stairs. Stable people do not do things like that. It is remarkable that Diana was able to publicly joke about her mental illness--which is a medical condition, not an insult--and continue to make public appearances on behalf of charities. Tragically, she was suffering behind the scenes. Not every mentally ill person is completely out-of-control. Diana found that she could control her actions and her persona in public, but she often exploded in private.

I remember her public speech about bulimia. She was truly trying to address it in her own life and help others at the same time. If you haven't already, you may want to check out the eating disorder thread on this forum for discussions on how her mental illness affected both her private and public behavior. Many of the people on this board have added to my understanding about her disease.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Nobility

I've never denied she had some mental illness problems. Did my post make you feel like that? My post just address her emontional unstable and unpreditable issue.

I will put my thought on the thread you mentioned. This thread is for the quotes and speeches of Diana. I don't want to be off-topic too often.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Nobility

Diana on friendship,

Quote:
I don't want my friends to be hurt and think I've dropped them but I haven't got time to sit and gossip, I've got things to do and time is precious.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Everything Royal.

Quote:
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that. — Princess Diana of Wales, July 1, 1961 — August 31, 1997
One of my favorite quotes of the Princess. Sadly feeling unloved is a strong disease many are still suffering from today.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

I admire Diana in his first speech because beyond having only 20 years old, she did this in Welsh and the whole world was watching or paying attention in this speech.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana, quotations, speeches