The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Nobility

"Will you watch the wedding?" Diana asked one man at a garden party honoring the Year of the Disabled Person. "Yes," he replied. And then, momentarily confused by the radiant princess-to-be, he asked, "Will you?"

"No," she said with a laugh. "I'm in it."

"I, Diana Frances, take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George, to be my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."
-- Diana Spencer, July 29th 1981
Old 11-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Nobility

On the last night she spent in her flat, on the eve of the official announcement of her engagement, Chief Inspector Paul Officer told her: "This is the last night of freedom in your life, so make the most of it." Diana recalled:

"Those words felt like a sword through my heart."

"I, Diana Frances, take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George, to be my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Nobility

In November 1980, the Sunday Mirror ran a story alleging that Lady Diana had spent two secret nights with charles aboard the royal train, which was used by members of the royal family for official business travel. Diana pleaded:

"Please believe me. I've never been on that train. I have never even seen it."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Nobility

The night before the wedding, Diana told an interviewer she planned:
"to be tucked up into bed, I think, early night."

Charles blurted, "Not allowed to see me anyway the night before."

"We might quarrel," Diana rejoined.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Nobility

In response to the suggestions that Princes William and Harry were too young to be introduced to homeless shelters and AIDS wards, Diana said:

"I want them to have an understanding of people's emotions, of people's insecurities, of people's distress, of their hopes and dreams."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Nobility

a Q&A session with Grania Forbes of the London Press Association in July 1981 acquainted the public a bit better with their new princess:

"I've been extremely touched by everyone's enthusiasm and affection. It has taken a bit of getting used to the cameras but it is wonderful to see people's enthusiastic reaction; it is most rewarding and gives me a tremendous boost. The Prince of Wales has made everything far easier for me and it is very good to be able to do things together publicly. I miss the immediate company of my flatmates. I'm enormously greatful to the many people helping so well with all the wedding arrangements and very much looking forward to visiting Wales and getting to know it better as part of my duties as future Princess of Wales."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Nobility

Pointing to an outsized medal on her jacket, Diana told a group of photographers in a Klosters cafe:

"I have awarded it to myself for services to my country, because no one else will."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Nobility

In her first days of public life, on a crowded shopping street in Mayfair, someone called out: "Di!" Diana replied:

"Please don't call me that---I've 'never' been called Di. I really don't like it."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Nobility

On the new prime minister, Tony Blair:

"I think at last I will have someone who will know how to use me. He's told me he wants me to go on some missions....I'd really, really like to go to China. I'm very good at sorting people's heads out."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Nobility

On Harry learning about the world:

"Through learning what I do and his father does, he has got an insight into what is coming his way. He's not hidden upstairs with the governess."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Nobility

About her boys:

"I want them to experience what I already know---that they are growing up in a multiracial society in which not everyone is rich, has four holidays a year, speaks standard English, and has a Range Rover."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Nobility

Two months before she died, Diana said:

"All my hopes are on William now. I don't want to push him. Charles suggested that he might go to Hong Kong for the handover, but he said, "Mummy, must I? I just don't feel ready."
I try to din into him all the time about the media--the dangers and how he must understand and handle it. I think it's too late for the rest of the family. But William---I think he has it. I think he understands. I'm hoping he'll grow up to be as smart about it as John Kennedy Jr. I want William to be able to handle things as well as John does."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Nobility

charles asked Diana if she'd ever read Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. "Just so what?" she asked.

In December 1985, Diana danced onstage at the Royal Opera House, to the surprise of the audience---and Charles, for whom the performance was a Christmas gift. After eight curtain calls, she turned to Wayne Sleep, who'd partnered her onstage, and said laughingly, "Beats the wedding."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Nobility

"I can honestly say that one of my greatest pleasures has been my association with people....I've been allowed to share your thoughts and dreams, your disappointments, and your happiness. You have also given me an education by teaching me more about life and living than any books or teachers could have done. My debt of gratitude to you all is immense. I hope in some small way I have been of service in return.
Your kindness and affection have carried me through some of the most difficult periods, and always your love and care have eased that journey. And for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Diana, Princess of Wales 1961-1997
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Nobility

About her boys:

"I want them to grow up knowing there are poor people as well as palaces."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Nobility

from the Panorama Interview:

"Both William and Harry, I take them around homelessness projects. I've taken William and Harry to people dying of AIDS, albeit I've told them it was cancer. I've taken the children to all sorts of areas where I'm not sure anyone of that age in this family has been before, and they have a knowledge. They may never use it, but the seed is there and I hope it will grow, because knowledge is power."
Old 11-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Nobility

from the Panorama Interview:

"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that."
Old 06-13-2004, 02:14 AM
Royal Highness

On her bulimia and suicide attempts:

"I was crying out for help but sending the wrong signals"

"They used my bulimia like a coat on a hanger. . .Diana is unstable"

On the birth of Prince William:

"Charles kept going to the front of the engine to see what was happening"

On the birth of Prince Harry (Charles being disappointed that Harry wasn't a girl)

"Something inside me died"
Old 06-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

God bless her. May she rest in peace.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:36 AM
Commoner

Thanks for the quotes, some were rather humorous and made me chuckle while others were serious.
Rest In peace .

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana, quotations, speeches