The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Nobility

Diana once told Charles (and I bet this went over big):

"The boys are entitled to happiness and see their father when they need him, not to be told he's running another meeting for the Crisis in Britain League. I need to get away from my royal duties, too; so do you."

"I, Diana Frances, take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George, to be my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."
-- Diana Spencer, July 29th 1981
Old 11-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Nobility

"My husband knows so much about rearing children that I have suggested he has the next one and I'll sit back and give advice."

"I, Diana Frances, take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George, to be my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Nobility

At a charity function in 1989, Diana told a dinner companion:

"I want to have three more babies, but I haven't told my husband yet."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Nobility

Responding to criticism for taking her children with her to visit Fergie's former lover Paddy McNally's villa in the south of France:

"They are our children. They are not the possession of the Crown or State."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Nobility

Diana once told Charles:

"You look like a stiff. You embarrass me in front of my friends."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Nobility

When Charles suggested that she should become better informed so that they could have more intelligent conversations, Diana retorted,

"The whole world thinks I'm fine just as I am. That ought to be enough for you."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Nobility

When Charles left her for yet another meal with his mother, she asked:

"Why do you do this to me? Why can't we just have a meal alone together for a change."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Nobility

"It is amazing how much happiness a small child brings to people."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Nobility

Diana, to Charles' valet, Stephen Barry:

"I don't know what to do, I feel so unhappy here. Charles doesn't understand me. He would prefer to be out shooting or stalking or riding or chatting with his mother rather than be with me. Can't he understand that I need him to look after me? I feel he's abandoned me. He just leaves me here all day. I hate it."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:31 AM
Nobility

"There I was in floods of tears, just needing him. And I'm told I have to book an appointment------with my own husband."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Nobility

As late as 1991, Diana was still involved in attempts to convince the world that her marriage was doing well. In a story that appeared in Good Housekeeping, Andrew Morton qoted Diana:

"Don't worry about me, my marriage is fine....People jump to conclusions so easily. It is so easy for people to judge my marriage, but they don't understand me or my husband. I am never going to get divorced and that's that. Whatever people may think and say, I am very happy, thank you very much."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Nobility

Diana makes more excuses for her marriage:

"I know what is going on. I know what people are thinking. Inevitably we are going to be frequently apart. It's the nature of the job. We both do lots of jobs in different directions, but our marriage is very good, thank you very much. We don't see as much of each other as we should."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Nobility

Diana's term for the early 80's:

"My early fairy period."

In a letter to her former nanny, Mary Clarke, shortly after her marriage:

"I do get annoyed at not being able to do my washing and general ironing. I know sister Sarah would adore that situation!...I might even have to learn to ride a horse, Mary, as it is the only time I will ever see my husband on his own.....I adore being married and having someone to devote my time to."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Nobility

After the wedding was over....Diana said this:

"After all this fuss (of the wedding), I am sure we will live happily ever after."

wishful thinking apparently.....
Old 11-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Nobility

What did Diana do on the weekends when Charles had custody of their sons?

"I stay in town. If I go out, I keep my eyes down or straight ahead. Wherever I go, the press finds ways to spy, you know. Often I visit a hospice."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Nobility

(the wedding time)

"I've asked for one hymn, 'I Vow to Thee, My Country,' which has always been my favorite since school days."

The hymn was also played at her funeral.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Nobility

Raine's mother, the eccentric romance novelist Dame Barbara Cartland, was not invited to the royal wedding. Diana once remarked:

"Her false eyelashes look like two crows flying into the White Cliffs of Dover."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Nobility

Watching the prewedding coverage on TV, Diana grew quite nervous. She asked her seamstress:

"Do I really have to go out in front of all these people?"
Old 11-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Nobility

i like this one

She was obsessed with losing weight before the wedding.

"I'm not waddling up the aisle like a duck."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Nobility

Diana told her guests at a Buckingham Palace garden party:

"I'm going to videotape it (the wedding) so I'll be able to run back over the best bits and rub out the part where I say 'I will'"

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana, quotations, speeches