The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Nobility

"I am only too aware of the temptation of avoiding harsh reality, not just for myself but for my own children, too. Am I doing them a favor if I hide suffering and unpleasantness from them until the last possible minute? The last minute which I choose for them may be too late. I can only face them with a choice based on what I know. The rest is up to them."

Diana's favorite phrase at tucking-in time:

"Who loves you most?"

After Fergie and Andrew's wedding in September 1986:

"Did you see William? I'm glad he behaved himself because he can be a bit of a prankster. William is just like me, always in trouble, but he'll grow out of it."

"I just want my children to be happy and normal. I will do everything I can to help them achieve these very ordinary feelings."

Diana vowed to protect her sons from frequent public duty for as long as possible.

"My sons won't be pushed into doing anything public---unlike the Queen and Princess Margaret, who appeared in public at a very early age during the teens. William and Harry will definitely be broken in gently."

On a visit to an orphanage, a thirteen-year-old asked Diana why William wasn't with her......

"I didn't bring William today because he's a little pest. he won't do as he's told and touches everything."

Then, while watching a seventeen-year-old demonstrate break dancing, Diana jokingly told him:

"I'll buy you a new pair of trousers if you split those."

Diana told a woman in the crowd waiting to see her in Nova Scotia:

I wish I had William with me. We've been away a few hours, but I miss him very much. I'm really sorry we couldn't bring him."

On her postpartum depression:

"When I came out of the hospital I could barely put one foot in front of the other. My stitches were killing me. It was such a strain to stand there and smile even for just a few minutes. As soon as the car disappeared around the corner out of sight of the photographers, I burst into tears."

For more than the obvious reasons, Diana felt tremendous relief when William was at last born:

"I felt the whole country was in labor with me."

Before William's birth, Diana adamantly told her physician, Dr. Pinker:

"I shall of course be breastfeeding for as long as possible. I believe it is a very important part of bonding between mother and child."

When journalist Arthur Edwards asked Diana whether she intended to go watch charles play polo, she replied:

"No, I'm not going. I hate the game. I don't understand it and I never have. I also hate the sycophants who hang around it. So I'm not going at all this summer. The boys won't be going either. They don't like it and, anyway, it's a waste of quality time."

"I think in any marriage, especially when you've had divorced parents like myself, you'd want to try even harder to make it work and you don't want to fall back into a pattern that you've seen happen in your own family. I desperately wanted it to work, I desperately loved my husband and I wanted to share everything together, and I thought that we were a very good team."

"My husband and I had to keep everything together because we didn't want to disappoint the public, and yet obviously there was a lot of anxiety going on within our four walls."

"However bloody you are feeling, you can put on the most amazing show of happiness."

Early in 1996, Diana told journalists:

"The boys are both doing very well at school. William is doing well academically and doesn't really like it. He'd prefer to do other things but sticks to his work and is getting on fine."

In 1991, Diana still told most friends that charles was:

"the same man today as on my wedding day."

The Palace insisted that charles be at Diana's side after her father died, although she'd intended to leave charles and their two boys behind.

"Why are they bothering about him ignoring me now? He's been ignoring me for years already."

Diana told Charles:

"My duty (as a mother) lies above my duty to you."

Diana discussed the 1994 Jonathan Dimbleby biography of Prince Charles with Peter Stothard, London Times editor:

"Do you know that it originally was supposed to contain nothing about our relationship at all? How were reader supposed to think that the (children) came? By immaculate conception?"

"(Charles) ignores me everywhere and has done so for a long time."

(what a special guy! LOL)

"I, Diana Frances, take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George, to be my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."
-- Diana Spencer, July 29th 1981
Old 11-28-2003, 09:25 AM
Nobility

Diana once told Charles (and I bet this went over big):

"The boys are entitled to happiness and see their father when they need him, not to be told he's running another meeting for the Crisis in Britain League. I need to get away from my royal duties, too; so do you."

"My husband knows so much about rearing children that I have suggested he has the next one and I'll sit back and give advice."

At a charity function in 1989, Diana told a dinner companion:

"I want to have three more babies, but I haven't told my husband yet."

Responding to criticism for taking her children with her to visit Fergie's former lover Paddy McNally's villa in the south of France:

"They are our children. They are not the possession of the Crown or State."

Diana once told Charles:

"You look like a stiff. You embarrass me in front of my friends."

When Charles suggested that she should become better informed so that they could have more intelligent conversations, Diana retorted,

"The whole world thinks I'm fine just as I am. That ought to be enough for you."

When Charles left her for yet another meal with his mother, she asked:

"Why do you do this to me? Why can't we just have a meal alone together for a change."

"It is amazing how much happiness a small child brings to people."

Diana, to Charles' valet, Stephen Barry:

"I don't know what to do, I feel so unhappy here. Charles doesn't understand me. He would prefer to be out shooting or stalking or riding or chatting with his mother rather than be with me. Can't he understand that I need him to look after me? I feel he's abandoned me. He just leaves me here all day. I hate it."

"There I was in floods of tears, just needing him. And I'm told I have to book an appointment------with my own husband."

As late as 1991, Diana was still involved in attempts to convince the world that her marriage was doing well. In a story that appeared in Good Housekeeping, Andrew Morton qoted Diana:

"Don't worry about me, my marriage is fine....People jump to conclusions so easily. It is so easy for people to judge my marriage, but they don't understand me or my husband. I am never going to get divorced and that's that. Whatever people may think and say, I am very happy, thank you very much."

Diana makes more excuses for her marriage:

"I know what is going on. I know what people are thinking. Inevitably we are going to be frequently apart. It's the nature of the job. We both do lots of jobs in different directions, but our marriage is very good, thank you very much. We don't see as much of each other as we should."

Diana's term for the early 80's:

"My early fairy period."

In a letter to her former nanny, Mary Clarke, shortly after her marriage:

"I do get annoyed at not being able to do my washing and general ironing. I know sister Sarah would adore that situation!...I might even have to learn to ride a horse, Mary, as it is the only time I will ever see my husband on his own.....I adore being married and having someone to devote my time to."

After the wedding was over....Diana said this:

"After all this fuss (of the wedding), I am sure we will live happily ever after."

wishful thinking apparently.....

What did Diana do on the weekends when Charles had custody of their sons?

"I stay in town. If I go out, I keep my eyes down or straight ahead. Wherever I go, the press finds ways to spy, you know. Often I visit a hospice."

(the wedding time)

"I've asked for one hymn, 'I Vow to Thee, My Country,' which has always been my favorite since school days."

The hymn was also played at her funeral.

Raine's mother, the eccentric romance novelist Dame Barbara Cartland, was not invited to the royal wedding. Diana once remarked:

"Her false eyelashes look like two crows flying into the White Cliffs of Dover."

Watching the prewedding coverage on TV, Diana grew quite nervous. She asked her seamstress:

"Do I really have to go out in front of all these people?"

i like this one

She was obsessed with losing weight before the wedding.

"I'm not waddling up the aisle like a duck."

"I, Diana Frances, take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George, to be my lawful wedded Husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, cherish, till death us do part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I give thee my troth."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Nobility

Diana told her guests at a Buckingham Palace garden party:

"I'm going to videotape it (the wedding) so I'll be able to run back over the best bits and rub out the part where I say 'I will'"
Old 11-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Nobility

"Will you watch the wedding?" Diana asked one man at a garden party honoring the Year of the Disabled Person. "Yes," he replied. And then, momentarily confused by the radiant princess-to-be, he asked, "Will you?"

"No," she said with a laugh. "I'm in it."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:41 AM
Nobility

On the last night she spent in her flat, on the eve of the official announcement of her engagement, Chief Inspector Paul Officer told her: "This is the last night of freedom in your life, so make the most of it." Diana recalled:

"Those words felt like a sword through my heart."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Nobility

In November 1980, the Sunday Mirror ran a story alleging that Lady Diana had spent two secret nights with charles aboard the royal train, which was used by members of the royal family for official business travel. Diana pleaded:

"Please believe me. I've never been on that train. I have never even seen it."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Nobility

The night before the wedding, Diana told an interviewer she planned:
"to be tucked up into bed, I think, early night."

Charles blurted, "Not allowed to see me anyway the night before."

"We might quarrel," Diana rejoined.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Nobility

In response to the suggestions that Princes William and Harry were too young to be introduced to homeless shelters and AIDS wards, Diana said:

"I want them to have an understanding of people's emotions, of people's insecurities, of people's distress, of their hopes and dreams."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Nobility

a Q&A session with Grania Forbes of the London Press Association in July 1981 acquainted the public a bit better with their new princess:

"I've been extremely touched by everyone's enthusiasm and affection. It has taken a bit of getting used to the cameras but it is wonderful to see people's enthusiastic reaction; it is most rewarding and gives me a tremendous boost. The Prince of Wales has made everything far easier for me and it is very good to be able to do things together publicly. I miss the immediate company of my flatmates. I'm enormously greatful to the many people helping so well with all the wedding arrangements and very much looking forward to visiting Wales and getting to know it better as part of my duties as future Princess of Wales."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Nobility

Pointing to an outsized medal on her jacket, Diana told a group of photographers in a Klosters cafe:

"I have awarded it to myself for services to my country, because no one else will."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Nobility

In her first days of public life, on a crowded shopping street in Mayfair, someone called out: "Di!" Diana replied:

"Please don't call me that---I've 'never' been called Di. I really don't like it."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:46 AM
Nobility

On the new prime minister, Tony Blair:

"I think at last I will have someone who will know how to use me. He's told me he wants me to go on some missions....I'd really, really like to go to China. I'm very good at sorting people's heads out."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Nobility

On Harry learning about the world:

"Through learning what I do and his father does, he has got an insight into what is coming his way. He's not hidden upstairs with the governess."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Nobility

About her boys:

"I want them to experience what I already know---that they are growing up in a multiracial society in which not everyone is rich, has four holidays a year, speaks standard English, and has a Range Rover."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Nobility

Two months before she died, Diana said:

"All my hopes are on William now. I don't want to push him. Charles suggested that he might go to Hong Kong for the handover, but he said, "Mummy, must I? I just don't feel ready."
I try to din into him all the time about the media--the dangers and how he must understand and handle it. I think it's too late for the rest of the family. But William---I think he has it. I think he understands. I'm hoping he'll grow up to be as smart about it as John Kennedy Jr. I want William to be able to handle things as well as John does."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Nobility

charles asked Diana if she'd ever read Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. "Just so what?" she asked.

In December 1985, Diana danced onstage at the Royal Opera House, to the surprise of the audience---and Charles, for whom the performance was a Christmas gift. After eight curtain calls, she turned to Wayne Sleep, who'd partnered her onstage, and said laughingly, "Beats the wedding."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:50 AM
Nobility

"I can honestly say that one of my greatest pleasures has been my association with people....I've been allowed to share your thoughts and dreams, your disappointments, and your happiness. You have also given me an education by teaching me more about life and living than any books or teachers could have done. My debt of gratitude to you all is immense. I hope in some small way I have been of service in return.
Your kindness and affection have carried me through some of the most difficult periods, and always your love and care have eased that journey. And for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Diana, Princess of Wales 1961-1997
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Nobility

About her boys:

"I want them to grow up knowing there are poor people as well as palaces."
Old 11-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Nobility

from the Panorama Interview:

"Both William and Harry, I take them around homelessness projects. I've taken William and Harry to people dying of AIDS, albeit I've told them it was cancer. I've taken the children to all sorts of areas where I'm not sure anyone of that age in this family has been before, and they have a knowledge. They may never use it, but the seed is there and I hope it will grow, because knowledge is power."
Old 11-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Nobility

from the Panorama Interview:

"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that."

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana, quotations, speeches