Diana's Speeches and Quotes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In her first days of public life, on a crowded shopping street in Mayfair, someone called out: "Di!" Diana replied:

"Please don't call me that---I've 'never' been called Di. I really don't like it."

On the new prime minister, Tony Blair:

"I think at last I will have someone who will know how to use me. He's told me he wants me to go on some missions....I'd really, really like to go to China. I'm very good at sorting people's heads out."

On Harry learning about the world:

"Through learning what I do and his father does, he has got an insight into what is coming his way. He's not hidden upstairs with the governess."

About her boys:

"I want them to experience what I already know---that they are growing up in a multiracial society in which not everyone is rich, has four holidays a year, speaks standard English, and has a Range Rover."

Two months before she died, Diana said:

"All my hopes are on William now. I don't want to push him. Charles suggested that he might go to Hong Kong for the handover, but he said, "Mummy, must I? I just don't feel ready."
I try to din into him all the time about the media--the dangers and how he must understand and handle it. I think it's too late for the rest of the family. But William---I think he has it. I think he understands. I'm hoping he'll grow up to be as smart about it as John Kennedy Jr. I want William to be able to handle things as well as John does."

charles asked Diana if she'd ever read Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. "Just so what?" she asked.

In December 1985, Diana danced onstage at the Royal Opera House, to the surprise of the audience---and Charles, for whom the performance was a Christmas gift. After eight curtain calls, she turned to Wayne Sleep, who'd partnered her onstage, and said laughingly, "Beats the wedding."

"I can honestly say that one of my greatest pleasures has been my association with people....I've been allowed to share your thoughts and dreams, your disappointments, and your happiness. You have also given me an education by teaching me more about life and living than any books or teachers could have done. My debt of gratitude to you all is immense. I hope in some small way I have been of service in return.
Your kindness and affection have carried me through some of the most difficult periods, and always your love and care have eased that journey. And for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Diana, Princess of Wales 1961-1997

About her boys:

"I want them to grow up knowing there are poor people as well as palaces."

from the Panorama Interview:

"Both William and Harry, I take them around homelessness projects. I've taken William and Harry to people dying of AIDS, albeit I've told them it was cancer. I've taken the children to all sorts of areas where I'm not sure anyone of that age in this family has been before, and they have a knowledge. They may never use it, but the seed is there and I hope it will grow, because knowledge is power."

from the Panorama Interview:

"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that."

On her bulimia and suicide attempts:

"I was crying out for help but sending the wrong signals"

"They used my bulimia like a coat on a hanger. . .Diana is unstable"

On the birth of Prince William:

"Charles kept going to the front of the engine to see what was happening"

On the birth of Prince Harry (Charles being disappointed that Harry wasn't a girl)

"Something inside me died"

Thanks for the quotes, some were rather humorous and made me chuckle while others were serious.
Rest In peace :heart: .

Originally posted by babar100@Jun 19th, 2004 - 2:36 am
Thanks for the quotes, some were rather humorous and made me chuckle while others were serious.
Rest In peace :heart: .
I agree.

Rest in Peace Diana. You are still loved :heart: and won't be forgotten!! :flower:

Aww I'm loving these quotes. Especially those about her boys. So sweet.

:flower:

I've collected more!

"HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug: Heaven Knows, they need it."

"If more people are now aware of what a dreadful disease AIDS is, then his death will not be in vain. It is an experience I shall never forget."

"The world is too little aware of the waste of life, limb and land which anti-personnel landmines are causing among some of the poorest people on earth. Indeed, until my journey to Angola early this year- on which I am going to speak this morning- I was largely unaware of it too."

"For those whose living is the land, loss of an arm or leg is an overwhelming handicap which lasts for life."

"Being constantly in the public eye gives me a special responsibility, particularly that of using the impact of photographs to transmit a message, to sensitize the word to an important cause, to defend certain values."

"Hugs can do a great amount of good, especially for children."

"feel close to people whoever they are- that’s why I disturbed certain circles. I am much closer to people at the bottom than at the top. I have a real relationship with the most humble people."

"I’ve always thought that people need to feel good about themselves and I see my role as offering support to them, to provide some light along the way."

"make the trips at least three times a week, and spend up to four hours at a time with patients holding their hands and talking with them. Some of them will live and some will die, but they all need to be loved while they are here. I try to be there for them. I really love helping. I seem to draw strength from them."

On the first page of the photo album which served as an introduction to her dress auction in 1997, attached a note wrote by Diana .
"The inspiration for this dress auction is just from one person--our son William"

My favorite kept posted on her desk: "You can't comfort the afflicted without afflicting the comfortable."

And what about their visit to Venice when Charles' told her to watch her head (so she didn't bump it) and she responded: Why? There's nothing in it! Touche Diana!

found these on the website royal quotes (some have already been mentioned before)

Princess Diana Quotes
b.gif

Any sane person would have left long ago. But I cannot. I have my sons.
Princess Diana

Anywhere I see suffering, that is where I want to be, doing what I can.
Princess Diana

Being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Princess Diana

Call me Diana, not Princess Diana.
Princess Diana

Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.
Princess Diana

Everyone needs to be valued. Everyone has the potential to give something back.
Princess Diana

Everyone of us needs to show how much we care for each other and, in the process, care for ourselves.
Princess Diana

Helping people in need is a good and essential part of my life, a kind of destiny.
Princess Diana

HIV does not make people dangerous to know, so you can shake their hands and give them a hug : Heaven knows they need it.
Princess Diana

Hugs can do great amounts of good - especially for children.
Princess Diana

I adore himÉ I have never been so happy. I have real love.
Princess Diana

I am not a political figure, nor do I want to be one; but I come with my heart.
Princess Diana

I don't even know how to use a parking meter, let alone a phone box.
Princess Diana

I don't go by the rule bookÉ I lead from the heart, not the head.
Princess Diana

I don't want expensive gifts; I don't want to be bought. I have everything I want. I just want someone to be there for me, to make me feel safe and secure.
Princess Diana

I have a woman's instinct and it's always a good one.
Princess Diana

I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour; for a day, for a month, but I can give and I'm very happy to do that and I want to do that.
Princess Diana

I like to be a free spirit. Some don't like that, but that's the way I am.
Princess Diana

I live for my sons. I would be lost without them.
Princess Diana

I love to hold people's hands when I visit hospitals, even though they are shocked because they haven't experienced anything like it before, but to me it is a normal thing to do.
Princess Diana

I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.
Princess Diana

I understand people's suffering, people's pain, more than you will ever know yourself.
Princess Diana

I wear my heart on my sleeve.
Princess Diana

I'd like people to think of me as someone who cares about them.
Princess Diana

I'd like to be a queen in people's hearts but I don't see myself being queen of this country.
Princess Diana

I'm as thick as a plank.
Princess Diana

If men had to have babies, they would only ever have one each.
Princess Diana

It is a weakness that I lead from my heart, and not my head?
Princess Diana

Life is just a journey
Princess Diana

No one sat me down with a piece of paper and said, "This is what is expected of you. ButÉ I'm lucky enough in the fact that I have found my roleÉ I love being with people."
Princess Diana

Only do what your heart tells you.
Princess Diana

People think that at the end of the day a man is the only answer. Actually, a fulfilling job is better for me.
Princess Diana

So many people supported me through my public life and I will never forget them.
Princess Diana

The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.
Princess Diana

The kindness and affection from the public have carried me through some of the most difficult periods, and always your love and affection have eased the journey.
Princess Diana

There were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded.
Princess Diana

Whoever is in the distress can call me. I will come running wherever they are.
Princess Diana

Yes, I do touch. I believe that everyone needs thatÉ
Princess Diana

You can't comfort the afflicted with afflicting the comfortable,
Princess Diana

anbrida said:
When journalist Arthur Edwards asked Diana whether she intended to go watch charles play polo, she replied:

"No, I'm not going. I hate the game. I don't understand it and I never have. I also hate the sycophants who hang around it. So I'm not going at all this summer. The boys won't be going either. They don't like it and, anyway, it's a waste of quality time."

I guess they out grew that! :)

Indeed. God bless you Diana and rest in His everlasting Peace and Love.

was she good at giving speaches or was she often norvous

Josefine, I think she said she was always nervous before speeches; she got a lot of coaching over the years on how to improve her public speaking, but I don't think it ever became natural to her.

One of her coaches, Peter Settleton, who later spoke out a great deal about Diana and released private tapes of their coaching sessions for big $$$$, claimed to have helped her with her nerves and the speech about eating disorders. To his credit, and I did see the tapes, he really did a good job getting Diana to focus on the content of her speeches in order not to be so nervous. He also got her to slow her speech down; in her earlier ones, she races through them.

Elspeth said:
Josefine, I think she said she was always nervous before speeches; she got a lot of coaching over the years on how to improve her public speaking, but I don't think it ever became natural to her.

I'm not sure if this has been said but Diana called Kensington Palace "KP" and Buckingham Palace "Buck House." She also caled Harry "GKH" Good King Harry and said the Windsors were "PORGS" I can't remember what it stands for.

Lovelydiana said:
I'm not sure if this has been said but Diana called Kensington Palace "KP" and Buckingham Palace "Buck House." She also caled Harry "GKH" Good King Harry and said the Windsors were "PORGS" I can't remember what it stands for.

PORG: "People of Restricted Growth".

My Favourtie diana quote is from a walkabout in Liverpool when she talks to a boy in the crowd

Diana: "Are you behaving in school"

Boy: "No"

Diana: "Well, What ever you do dont get caught!"

everyone around her laughed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lovelydiana

sassie said:
PORG: "People of Restricted Growth".

You really are stooping low when you resort to name-calling!

Personally I always found Diana rather vapid and didn't think she had an original thought in her head.

I agree with you asmadasitgets2003 that was one of my favourite quotes as well. Does anybody have any opinions by what you think her most famous quote was?

Back
Top Bottom