The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2016, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

It depends what is in them, doesn't it, Osipi? If these mysterious tapes contain just a rehash of stuff we have all heard before, a raking over the ashes of her marriage, then I doubt that people's opinion of Diana, whether favourable or unfavourable, would change at all.

If they contain advice to William and to his future wife about the pressures they will face as public figures, as has sometimes been suggested, then there might be a slight interest. However, as she was known as a devoted mother I don't think people's views on Diana would be changed at all, unless something inflammatory came out about Charles.

Personally I have great doubts about whether these 'secret' tapes exist at all.
What worries me about them, if they do exist, is that Diana apparently made them in 1997, at a time when she was at her most paranoid.

A former poster towards the beginning of this thread posted quotes from Diana's friends that she would write and phone them in the mid 1990's with comments like her being a star in the heavens looking down on them etc etc.

In other words if these tapes exist then they might go into her fears of being got rid of, assassinated while she was still young. If she was in that frame of mind then she might well have recorded allegations about Charles and/or members of his staff as a warning/guarantee that 'If anything happens to me, watch out! The scandals you've already gone through are nothing to this!'

Let me make my position clear. I do NOT believe that anyone in the royal family or people near to them were planning to kill Diana. That doesn't change the impression however that Diana appeared frightened and suspicious of people's motives at this time. Therefore she might, just might, have wanted to record what she knew, or thought she knew, about others.

If anyone knows about the actual physical recording of these tapes it would be Paul Burrell. I have become convinced since his curious rescue by the Queen before his trial that this person (grub though he is) knows more about the doings of individual members of the Royal family than he has ever let out in the public arena, in spite of his disgraceful books. If Burrell knows nothing of them, then IMO these secret tapes only exist in unnamed sources' fevered imaginations.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:20 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to agree that the existence of these "secret tapes" is purely speculative at this time as no real proof of their existence and/or contents have ever been proven to be facts. Even if they were to come to light now in 2016 almost 20 years after Diana's death, other than fans and people interested in Diana's years as Princess of Wales, these tapes probably wouldn't really cause that much of a big splash publicly.

I also believe that the concept of Diana being paranoid can be pretty much taken as a possibility. The one concrete example that comes to mind for me was a statement in Simone Simmons' book "Diana, The Last Word", the author stated that it was Diana's wish that should something happen to her, that Simmons would write a book about it. Of course this could be taken as heresay from Simmons as Diana isn't around to dispute it but I think there is truth to Simmons statement.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-21-2016, 03:30 AM
Serene Highness

I wouldnt' take Simmons very much to heart, but I agree that Diana was very paranoid then and she might have recorded stuff to make a record or inform her friends or the public of what she feared might happen..And If they exist, I hope they DONT ever come out because I feel they will just now make Diana look crazy. And yes she may have recorded a few scandalous things abut the RF, at the time, because she knew of them. It doesn't mean the RF are terrible, but they may well have a few stories they would rather didn't get out..
But in Di's state of mind, then I think that she would have made mountains out of molehills and would look a bit crazy to us now. And of course conspiracy theorists and Diana worshippers who think everyting she said is true and that she was an angel, would problaby believe them
Old 06-21-2016, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But in Di's state of mind, then I think that she would have made mountains out of molehills and would look a bit crazy to us now. And of course conspiracy theorists and Diana worshippers who think everyting she said is true and that she was an angel, would problaby believe them
That's it in a nutshell I think. Diana's state of mind dealing with an irreconcilable marriage heading for a divorce wouldn't be a pretty picture and, speaking from my own experience, it is a very stressful, nerve wracking and emotional existence that takes its toll on body, mind and spirit.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-21-2016, 04:07 AM
Serene Highness

I haven't ever been divorced, but like most of us, Im sure there have been problems at times.. I think that Diana was a rather fragile personality and her very difficult divorce, made so mostly by the fact that as a royal she was not supposed to divorce, was probalby very hard on her. It woudl not have been easy for Chas either, witht his situation of "what would he do now if the public didn't wnat him as King", but he had Camilla. He was still POW and while he must have felt a sense of failure, he was problaby releived to be free of Diana by then. But Diana was stepping out into a very strange world, on her own, and with little experience of normal life.
Much of her adult life had been spent as a princess. I think she coudl trust people A LOT less than Charles could.
He had a large circle of loyal friends, she had a few, but a lot of the people in her life were new joiners to her circle and I dont think she could rely on them the way that Charles could rely on HIS set.
Even her lover Hewitt had been disloyal to her.
So i think she was a bit crazy then and said wild things and It would not make her look very good if we heard these tapes or memoes now.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:10 AM
Majesty

I think we're veering away from the topic of the secret tapes again.
― John Lennon
Old 06-21-2016, 05:38 AM
Serene Highness

sorry i was just trying to say why I'd rathter not hear the tapes. I DO think that they might exist, becauase she did like to record things... ( I do this myself Im afraid, I write down stuff sometimes just to mull it over)... But I think that they would be things that were way off beam and would make her seem like she was really really a mental case..
Old 06-22-2016, 03:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
ItA be Paul Burrell. I have become convinced since his curious rescue by the Queen before his trial that this person (grub though he is) knows more about the doings of individual members of the Royal family than he has ever let out in the public arena, in spite of his disgraceful books. If Burrell knows nothing of them, then IMO these secret tapes only exist in unnamed sources' fevered imaginations.
I think the queen rescued him because she was just Not liking the way the trial was going. I don't tink there are any MAJOR scandals hidden in royal households but of course there are bound to be things that one doesn't want to get out, if possible. And I think the queen may have felt that with Burrell talking away, he would say things that people would believe even if they weren't true, so it was better to bring the whole messy stupid situation to a halt. but I DO think that tehre might be tapes that Diana made. I think she had become a bit additcted to taping or writing down things...like happened with Settelen..