The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 07-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
According to your argument, why do we need to study about history, read history book, investigate history then? Since what difference would it really make? Actually why do we need to talk about Diana at all, she's been dead for 18 years, a very much history figure now, everything we talk about her are history. There is no rule here tell us what can we talk about and what we can't talk about right?
History, for the most part is looked at without rose colored glasses and is based in fact. Diana attending the State Opening of Parliament with multiple videos, photographs are witnesses to the occasion are part of history. Diana's children following in her footsteps with various charities and causes are historical and create a legacy that lives on and hopefully will through generations to come. What is pointless is to rehash and try to pull off as fact are things that are suppositions, maybes and could have beens and things that an author wrote that could very well have been embellished or totally made up as has happened in many, many books written about famous figures.

As time passes, historians can and will look at Diana with more impartiality and mostly for the facts. What I don't care about is all the "conspiracy" suppositions regarding her private life and secret tapes and whether or not Diana was pregnant by Dodi when she died.

ETA: About the rules of what we should talk about and not talk about, according to the TRF rules we should:

Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
__________________

__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Guangzhou, China
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Gosh are we still with that story ? I thought that one of the members of the forum, who worked for the landmine campaign at this time, told us that Diana was not a key figure at all and that all the decisions were already made.
This thread is borderline "conspiracy theory" imo ....
Why can't we just talk about everything about Diana, without giving label. IYO, it is a conspiracy theory, IMO I think it is a history study and analysis.

A member here said Diana was not a key figure, that is only her opinion. However it seems some politicians didn't think so. When Diana did her campaign, politicians called her "a loose canon", "meddling in politic", force her to pull out a private landmine meeting, asked her to "keep quite and don't seek so much publicity", before the Oslo meeting. If Diana was so irrelevant, why those politicians would be bothered to come out one by one to attack her.

A lot of evidences, not only in this thread, showing that Diana did have concern of her safety. Therefore if people want to talk about Diana's activity and state of mind in her last year, it would unfortunately make some people feel borderline conspiracy. Does that mean 1997 becomes a landmine field of Diana, which we should not talk about, study about, because it make some people feel that way?
__________________

__________________
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
-- The Road Less Travelled
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Guangzhou, China
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
History, for the most part is looked at without rose colored glasses and is based in fact. Diana attending the State Opening of Parliament with multiple videos, photographs are witnesses to the occasion are part of history. Diana's children following in her footsteps with various charities and causes are historical and create a legacy that lives on and hopefully will through generations to come. What is pointless is to rehash and try to pull off as fact are things that are suppositions, maybes and could have beens and things that an author wrote that could very well have been embellished or totally made up as has happened in many, many books written about famous figures.

As time passes, historians can and will look at Diana with more impartiality and mostly for the facts. What I don't care about is all the "conspiracy" suppositions regarding her private life and secret tapes and whether or not Diana was pregnant by Dodi when she died.

There is no limit to what kind of history we can talk about or not talk about. There is no limit to WHO should study the history and who should not. Even conspiracy claims can be a subject of history study AS LONG AS there are evidences to support those claims. However, not only physical evidences but also documentary evidences are considered as evidence.

Everything in history study is MAYBE or COULD HAVE BEEN. Most historian has never met the subject they study. Every conclusion they made is MAYBE or COULD HAVE BEEN. That doesn't mean their work is worthless. It depends on whether their evidences can adequately and logically explain some known events.

When we read a history book, they way we evaluate the book, is not by looking at its author. Who is the author doesn't matter, what matter is the content.

Different to other years of Diana's life, 1997 is her most informative year. Because she died on that year, many people who knew her came out to give a memoir of her, of course their clearest memory of her was in 1997. And there is an inquest to her death, which provide abundant information on her in the last year. Therefore, in terms of history study, 1997 is a gold mountain.
__________________
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
-- The Road Less Travelled
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Cris M's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Niterói, Brazil
Posts: 847
Seriously? Those Diana tapes are being compared to Jesus? Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour of all mankind?

That's beyond fanaticism. And it's also ridiculously pathetic.
__________________
“If a thousand thrones I had, I would give a thousand thrones to get the slaves free in Brazil."

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Seriously? Those Diana tapes are being compared to Jesus? Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour of all mankind?

That's beyond fanaticism. And it's also ridiculously pathetic.
I think you may have misunderstood.
I understood that Jesus' name was introduced here as being another subject for which there was anecdotal evidence as are the tapes, not at all to suggest that the tapes were sacred or a matter of salvation!
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-21-2016, 12:52 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
As for these tapes, no one even know if they really exist? So why are people here acting like their existence is fact? As for releasing them, I am a history major and part of this just seems like people being nosey in a world where everyone thinks everything is their business.
I understand personal matters are studied but usually it is because they impact the larger world. JFK being a man whore impacted the US govt. Henry VIIIs letter to Anne Boleyn had a huge impact on England. The rantings of a woman about her fantasy to be the QM seems more like petty gossip history.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
Once she admitted to the Hewitt relationship, the other rumours became so much more credible. That was the real turning point in my own opinion about Diana. Once Charles and Diana began "invading their own privacy", no holds were barred. The press went wild and published more negative stuff than ever before.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Yes I think you're right Mermaid. I think she HAD to, because there was plenty of gossip and there were other relationships she had had, that were more damaging to her reputation than the one with Hewitt.
He was single, at least and some of the others were with married men.. and I think to avoid questions about Hoare or Will C, she felt she had to tell about Hewitt, and also I think she wanted to hit back at Charles to say "OK so you are admitting an affair with camilla, well I haven't gone unadmired. I have had a lover as well."
but all the same, once she had admitted to one affair, the others became more credible. And while some people seem to be able to believe there was nothing in the other relationships, there is too much evidence and do we really beleive that she was checking a man out and saying "are you married" before she let herself get fond of him?
so once that had happened seh began to look no different to charles, that she was looking for consolation over her unhappy marriage and didn't care if she was getting it from someone already committed... and I think people began to cool and see her as - not a bad person but no better than her husband.. and perhaps begain to feel "OK they had a bad marriage.. noone's fault and they have both found other lovers..and they have not been able to live with each other and keep up a facade of marriage..She isn't an angel of goodness and he isn't a demon..." So the feelng of Diana as someone really angelic and special and her husband as a horrible guy began to ebb away...
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 06-18-2016, 08:29 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,888
You know neither you or I were there in their lives prowling the corridors to see who was sleeping with who. Why can't we ALL just move on. There is something a bit sad that we can't just let it go. Diana is dead she can't reply. And I don't buy it's history etc it's just sad very sad


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 06-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,643
Sometimes a person comes to these forums with knowledge about a certain area of the BRF as I once did. Interest in Diana, the triangle and the scandalous stuff I saw on the front pages of tabloids at the grocery store back then. Oh yah, and silly Ascot hats.

Trust me, I didn't even have knowledge at all. Look where its gotten me in 8 years. I'm astounding myself by learning something new every time I visit. I asked questions and stated stupid stuff that got me right royal corrected. I'm not there yet but starting to branch out to other royal monarchies and their families and who they are, what they do and yes, the royal scandals just because I can.

One way to learn and be a part of someone else's learning experience is just to be here. That's what TRf is for.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,888
There is so many threads about Diana and the same people say the same things. If she was your daughter or sister etc how would you feel about the rubbish that is discussed here. We are meant to be respectful to the royals but that doesn't seemed to apply to Diana. I guess my post will only encourage more


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,079
IMO 'Let sleeping Dogs lie'...
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
There is so many threads about Diana and the same people say the same things. If she was your daughter or sister etc how would you feel about the rubbish that is discussed here. We are meant to be respectful to the royals but that doesn't seemed to apply to Diana. I guess my post will only encourage more


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
With all due respect, what is one person's rubbish and out of the box thinking can lead to another person's passing on what they've learned and the why and how it all made sense once they learned and they go on to explore and ask questions in other areas that increases their knowledge of the British Royal Family, the ins and outs of it all and the ceremonies and rituals and pomp and circumstances that evolved from starting off with an interest in Diana, Princess of Wales and from there even feel comfortable passing on information themselves.

Trust me. For me it started with a boring summer night googling "silly royal hats". I do think that the Diana threads get repetitious and things seem to be rehashed over and over again but I remind myself that once upon a time, everything here was new to me too.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,888
Well who was sleeping with who and when is for sure a long way away from silly royal hats.



Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,197
Of course the main reason so many things get hashed over and over again here are the circumstances surrounding the Wales's marriage and its highly dramatic end, unique in the history of the BRF.

It also gets rehashed because it's a case of 'that's all, folks'. Diana, with all her faults and foibles, virtues and warmth, has now been dead for nearly two decades.

It would be good to be able to have seen her find love again, recall her second wedding, the birth of a daughter perhaps, the growing up of any later children and whether they resembled her. It would be terrific to see Diana at social events and charity work and discuss her clothing and conversation, as we do others. We can't though, because she died at 36 and all we have to 'rehash' are the main events of her life, and our varying opinions on them.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-18-2016, 10:51 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,888
It's just sad that it isn't the good times that are rehashed it's she was a bad mother bad wife etc etc all very disrespectful. I can't see we would be allowed to write of any living princess the way we do of Diana


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-18-2016, 01:55 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,931
Members are reminded that the Forum Rules apply equally to people who are deceased as to those who are alive. Now, back to the topic of the thread.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,931
This thread has now been tidied up, with off-topic posts either deleted or moved as follows:

Posts relating to Diana's friends have been moved to the following thread:
Diana's Friends, Lovers and Bodyguards

Posts relating to Diana's title have been moved to the following thread:
Diana's Styles and Titles

Please be mindful of the title of the thread before making a post. If you are having difficulty in finding the right thread for the subject you wish to post about, contact a moderator.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It's just sad that it isn't the good times that are rehashed it's she was a bad mother bad wife etc


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Look she had her faults, like everyone else. She wasn't a saint, but her early death has made some people rather inclined to sanctify her IMO. And I dont think any other princess has had so much "rumour" coming out about her.. so there are loads of stories out there about her death, why it happened, what happened in her marriage etc. And some of the fun of discussing history is to work out the true from the merely "exciting but untrue stories".
And there are people who do dislike her, and are inclined to attack her IMO too vehemently for her faults or to exaggerate them.
One of her escorts said soemting on the lines of "If I had to sum Diana up in a few words, I'd say she was a great mother and lousy to herself." and I think there's a lot of truth in that. She was a good mum, she adored her boys. She also did a lot of good to people, and was kind hearted.. but often too, she made bad decisons that often caused her more harm than they did to others. I think that a lot of her quarrelling iwth the RF, while it did harm them, in the end rebounded on her.. and made her more unhappy.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,643
To somewhat steer this conversation back on topic, I'd like to pose a question. Mindful though, I'm not even totally sure what is supposed to be in these "secret tapes" but how would they change the public's perception of Diana as a person?
__________________

__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diana's Engagements: 1981-1997, Complete List MaximaDianaFan Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 41 04-25-2014 01:41 PM
Diana, Princess of Wales: Visit to Bosnia - August 1997 roseroyal Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 26 08-25-2013 08:20 PM
The Settelen Tapes maryshawn Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 41 05-13-2007 10:24 AM
Secret Royal Meetings Warren Royal Life and Lifestyle 1 10-04-2005 09:51 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday birthday wishes catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week president nieto; state visit prince alexander of sweden prince bernhard prince charles prince joachim princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sonja state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises