The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Let's remember to keep the discussion about the tapes, please.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Well the difference is that Diana didn't look elsewhere through choice. She wanted her husband and actually asked Camilla to keep back from him but to avail. She was the only one out of the 2 couples involved who couldn't deal with the situation. Andrew P-B didn't seem to give a fig that his wife was sleeping with Charles and Camilla accepted his affairs too. Diana was the only normal one among these dysfunctional and immoral fruitcakes. Can you imagine Kate accepting William having a mistress? No chance and Diana was no different.
Both Charles and Diana said that they both tried to make their marriage work. When Diana confronted Camila, it was after both she and Charles had taken other lovers, James Hewitt, Camilla, et. al. According to Diana, she adored and was in love with James Hewitt, she also said that she was deeply in love with Barry Mannakee, has adult Diana ever proclaimed her love for Charles the way she did for those two? Anyhoo, I digress. I don't think that the reason Diana could not deal with the arrangement was because she was "normal" and had such high moral standards and regard for the sanctity of marriage vis a vis Charles, Camilla and Andrew, rather she could not deal with it because she had yet to find a long-term partner, and she also could not withstand her image being tarnished by it becoming known that she was an adulteress. I think that it stuck in her craw that Charles found contentment with Camilla, and I furthermore think that it became easy for her to engage in some form of transference where, rather than taking responsibility for her own actions and flaws, or accepting certain things, she re-directed her frustrations and disappointments towards Charles and Camilla.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Let's remember to keep the discussion about the tapes, please.
Sorry, I was in draft mode when this was posted.

The connection to the tapes is that Diana's "most stringent criticism" in the tapes was directed at Charles and Camila.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't believe Diana ever admitted to an affair with Barry M. or stated she was deeply in love with him....James Hewitt yes on the 'infamous' Panaroma interview.

LaRae
Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I don't believe Diana ever admitted to an affair with Barry M. or stated she was deeply in love with him....James Hewitt yes on the 'infamous' Panaroma interview.

LaRae
Princess Diana revealed 'the greatest love I've ever had' was bodyguard Barry Mannakee in secret tapes | The Independent
Old 08-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah gotcha ..I've never heard any of the 'secret tapes'

LaRae
Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
Diana said in the Settelen tapes that she fell deeply in love with Mannakee, she also said, "I was quite happy to give all of this up ... just to go and live with him." IIRC Diana denied that she had a physical relationship with Mannakee.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Right that's all I remembered ever being said...the secret tapes are 'new' to me really.

LaRae
Old 08-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Diana was the only normal one among these dysfunctional and immoral fruitcakes.
Spectacular morsel of 'value JUDGEMENT' there...
Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Majesty

The upper circles will not appreciate grand gestures. The owner of the tapes does not commit a crime. He is fully entitled to profit from the tapes, which belong to him legally.

Prince Charles proved ineffective in managing his family and his staff.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The upper circles in the west do not appreciate gestures of good will. The owner of the tapes does not commit a crime. He is fully entitled to profit from the tapes, which belong to him legally.

Prince Charles proved ineffective in managing his family and his staff.
The legal owner of the tapes may not have committed an illegal act but it is morally questionable.

What does Prince Charles and the management of his family and staff have to do with this?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I can't make any sense out of it either.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The legal owner of the tapes may not have committed an illegal act but it is morally questionable.

What does Prince Charles and the management of his family and staff have to do with this?
If Prince Charles were effective in managing his family and his staff, he would have avoided awkward situations.

It is odd to see the constant repetition about the morally questionable deed.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

For those who don't know who Barry Mannakee was - PPO, married with 2 children.

Killed while riding pillion on a motorbike by a newly qualified car driver in 1987

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Majesty

I believe that Diana felt close to Mannakee solely for the reason that being her PPO, it was his job to be by her side at all times. He kind of became a port in storm for a Diana that found herself to be unhappy in many ways with her marriage.

I don't believe that Mannakee and Diana ever took it to a physical level but they were close. That closeness was the reason he was transferred out of being in Diana's service. If I had to describe how I saw their relationship, I would put it at being a close, intimate friendship. Someone Diana could confide in and feel listened to her and was there for her (although that was his job). I don't doubt that she "loved" Mannakee but loving someone doesn't mean jumping into bed with them all the time.

Just my take on it.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I believe that Diana felt close to Mannakee solely for the reason that being her PPO, it was his job to be by her side at all times. He kind of became a port in storm for a Diana that found herself to be unhappy in many ways with her marriage.

I don't believe that Mannakee and Diana ever took it to a physical level but they were close. That closeness was the reason he was transferred out of being in Diana's service. If I had to describe how I saw their relationship, I would put it at being a close, intimate friendship. Someone Diana could confide in and feel listened to her and was there for her (although that was his job). I don't doubt that she "loved" Mannakee but loving someone doesn't mean jumping into bed with them all the time.

Just my take on it.
I thought that in the tapes she said "he was the love of my life" and was prepared to give up everything to be with him.

That's either the truth or she was exaggerating or fantasising. But none of it is good.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I thought that in the tapes she said "he was the love of my life" and was prepared to give up everything to be with him.

That's either the truth or she was exaggerating or fantasising. But none of it is good.
Could have very well been the mindset of someone with Barbara Cartland ideas of "happily ever after". She was also deeply and totally in love with Hewitt too until that went sour. A lot of the indications of Diana's mindset with men, to me, wasn't based in reality. She was conniving marriage plans with Dr. Khan too and trying to finagle him work in South Africa, I believe it was, for their "happily ever after" until she got the message that Khan wasn't interested in marriage to her. Seems like every man she admired was the "love of her life" in some form or the other. They all become some kind of an obsession with her until, for some reason or the other, life enters into the picture and the "happily ever after" gets tainted with reality.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

I think she was imagining a perfect fantasy life. She seems to have done that with some of her lovers as well. The more that comes out, in her own words via the tapes, the more it seems Diana had a tenuous grasp of reality.

I cannot make sense of how she thought she could put William on the throne in his father's place. This isn't the 13th century.

I also don't understand how she could have affairs with or be after married men, when she was so bitter about Charles and Camilla. Osipi said up thread Diana wanted what she wanted--I think that is true.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree with this, which is why I find it hard to believe what she says.

And that includes her stories about Charles

Old 08-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Majesty

So all in all, I think from reading all the responses here about these tapes is that, in the long run, they didn't do Diana any favors nor were they in any way something that really needed to be put out there to the public.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It does not work that way in our enlightened Western regime as you like to call it. People do not "manage" other people nor is the husband of any more importance in a marriage than the wife. That is why your statement of Prince Charles "managing" his family so preposterous to us lowly beings that disregard human decency.

Perhaps its different in your neck of the woods where women are still treated as inferior beings? Just guessing.

I just had tea come thru my nose!

LaRae