The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 AM
Courtier

I was confused myself! I didn't realise there were two sets of tapes. Going back to the start of this thread helped clear it up a bit!

It was an odd thing to do, but it does look like Diana wanted her own version of things on record. Whether she would want them aired twenty odd years on is another thing.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would think that if she had lived and these tapes were aired publicly, she most likely would have cringed in embarrassment. That is, presuming, that everything that happened in the ensuing time worked out to be as they are now. Time does change things and people's perspective of things.

How much of this is preying on the words of a woman no longer alive to defend her words and actions is pretty much the elephant in the room here. The saga of Diana, Princess of Wales ended in a tunnel in Paris and who she was at the time of her death is how she is going to be looked at forevermore.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I'm confused. I don't want the detail, but what are the timings of the "old" and "new" tapes ( when said, when released)
The "old" tapes aired on NBC in the US a long time ago and have been available on YouTube for quite some time. There isn't anything new or shocking there. Like many other non-European posters, I didn't realize there were also "new" tapes. I thought it was just the same set we had already seen before.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

The British media is making it seem like these tapes are some new revelations, but when the tapes aired here in America just a couple of years ago, the British media reported on it.

The media in the U.K. feel Charles and Diana's old marriage problems are a gift that keeps on giving. Even though everything that's been said has been said millions of times in books, articles, tv shows, movies and documentaries. There's nothing within the past Wales saga that's new.

Peter Settlelen should be ashamed of himself for selling those tapes for profit. At the end of the day, money is what people want and will do anything to get it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Nobility

And according to Richard Palmer, Channel 4 pulled in 3.5m viewers, which was its highest ratings in over a year.

https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/st...29194000093184

With that said, it seems rather a lot of handwringing in the press for something that only 5% of the population watched.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Serene Highness

The only ones cringing right now are Charles and Camilla and good enough for it. I'm glad the public are being reminded about the antics of this pair. Whatever problems the Wales' had in their marriage it was up to them to sort it out, it wasn't Camllia's place to get involved. She would have done better to have sorted out her own marriage.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Absolutely right, sophie. No marriage benefits AT ALL from the interference of a third party. If all four, Andrew, Camilla, Charles and Diana, had remained faithful and loyal to their spouses, all the drama, and much of the misery and bitterness Diana felt, could have been avoided.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

I disagree and think that if D&C had worked on their marriage from the start, Camilla would have not been involved and would be just an old acquintance.... but now we are starting a discussion which already has been done in several threads on these forums...
Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Which tapes are these? Are these new ones that have never been heard? I have been reading this thread but I still cannot figure it out.
The tapes referenced in the thread title are not the Settelen tapes which were made in 1992-1993, but they are not new tapes either given that this thread was started in 2014.

The article that I posted was from the Daily Mail but then they are sourcing another tabloid The Sun. What is not clear to me is did The Sun publish this story simply to capitalize on the attention being generated by the Settelen tapes and the 20th anniversary of Diana's death, or are they revealing information that while available outside of Britain since 2014 was not partially or fully available to the British public. ETA: Actually the article was published by Canada Free Press in 2006, I wrongly assumed that since the thread was created in 2014 that was when the story about the 1997 tapes broke.

Here is a link to the article published in the first post of this thread and some excerpts (less than 20% of the full article):

Diana's secret tapes

By Gordon Thomas
Wednesday, October 4, 2006

[snip]

the cameraman revealed he had kept a diary of that momentous month in March 1997, when he secretly filmed Diana.

[snip]

The story of those tapes is complex and revealing -- and casts new light on Diana's mindset in the months before she died in 1997.

The very existence of the tapes had been a closely-guarded secret until the collapse of the Paul Burrel trial.

[snip]

It began on a cold January day in 1997. For months Diana had been telling friends of her dissatisfaction with her now notorious Panorama "three in a bed" interview, in which she had revealed her own adultery with James Hewitt.

[snip]

Within the implacably hostile Royal Family, she had managed to maintain one friendship. That was with Prince Edward.

[snip]

In January, 1997, Diana asked [Prince] Edward if he knew of a good TV cameraman. He had to be trustworthy.

[snip]

She wanted him to film a set of videos in which she would speak directly to the camera. [snip] She did not know, then, how many videos she would make. But after each one was completed it would be handed to her. There would be no other copy made. The schedule for filming would depend on her other engagements.

A fee of ��5,000 was accepted for the assignment.

[snip]

Paid in full, the cameraman never saw Diana again.

[snip]

The reason the cameraman originally told Wilcox -- and may also be the same reason the broadcaster shared the secret with a second person -- is that both Wilcox and the cameraman had been questioned in the aftermath of Diana's death by MI5 security officers about the existence of the tapes.

[snip]

"They are Diana's video diaries of her marriage. In a sense they are an oral history of the Royal Family. She deals with each member in detail", he said.

The videos reserve her most stringent criticism for Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles.

[snip]

"Diana paints a portrait of how she pleaded with him for the sake of the children to give up Camilla. She says that she turned to Anne (Princess Anne) and Andrew (Prince Andrew) for help. Both, she says, refused to lift a finger", said the source.

[snip]

Diana was "highly upset" about Charles' relationship with Fawcett.

[snip]

She said there was something of the night about Fawcett. Diana reveals on one tape that she didn't like the way he seemed to dominate Charles, not just in a physical way, but mentally also."

[snip]

A member of Charles' staff told her about sexual misconduct within the Royal Household staff -- and that Charles "tolerated it".

[snip]

According to the cameraman's recall, there was also "a terrible anger" at the way she was being treated by the Royal Family -- especially Prince Philip.

"She talks about how his welcome into the Family had turned to cold hostility once the marriage had broken up.

[snip]

Undoubtedly, the most revealing part of her video diaries is how Diana saw her future.

"She makes it clear that she would do everything possible to make sure Charles never became King. She wanted William to succeed to the Throne when the Queen died. Diana clearly saw her role as the power behind William. She had this somewhat romantic idea of being a king-maker -- the mother behind the monarch", said the source.

He explained that the cameraman had told him last week that his abiding memory from the videos was of a very determined princess that nothing would stand in her way.

[snip]
Old 08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
The only ones cringing right now are Charles and Camilla and good enough for it. I'm glad the public are being reminded about the antics of this pair. Whatever problems the Wales' had in their marriage it was up to them to sort it out, it wasn't Camllia's place to get involved. She would have done better to have sorted out her own marriage.
Thanksfully, the public are also being reminded how unfaithful and somewhat hypotrical Diana was, complaining that her husband was a cheater but at the same time claiming that Barry Mannakee was the love of her life.
Helloooo double standart.

Everyone can cringe with this programme : a deeply bitter woman, still owning the title of HRH the Princess of Wales, freely rambling on about the most intimate aspects of her life to her VOICE COACH !!!

That's just disturbing.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
"She makes it clear that she would do everything possible to make sure Charles never became King. She wanted William to succeed to the Throne when the Queen died. Diana clearly saw her role as the power behind William. She had this somewhat romantic idea of being a king-maker -- the mother behind the monarch", said the source.[snip]
How revealing !
Old 08-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
[...] it wasn't Camllia's place to get involved. She would have done better to have sorted out her own marriage.
What does that say about the Princess of Wales, the future Queen, making herself at least accessible to a cavalry officer (Mr Hewitt), to a car salesman ("Squidgygate" Mr Gilbey), to a protection officer (Mr Mannakee), to an art dealer (Mr Hoare), to a medical surgeon (Mr Khan) and to a playboy (Mr Al Fayed)?

Also the last one was already around the Princess during marriage, according to the butler, referring to his memo's and instructions left by Diana. It seemed Diana thought Mr Al Fayed was instrumental in the her liaisons dangereuses "to win back Mr Khan". In the end the Marquise de Merteuil, eh, pardon, ... I mean, Diana, Princess of Wales, felt for Mr Al Fayed himself.

So spare any blaming towards Camilla because Diana herself was in no any position to blame anyone else at all...
Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Majesty

It all adds up to one person being a manipulator. Manipulation of people. Manipulation of opinion. Manipulation of getting what one wants. Manipulation of listening to the voices in her head telling her to manipulate to achieve her own ends.

Proves one thing. One cannot manipulate someone to feel love and adoration through machinations to "show" them. Love is built on trust, compromise, caring and compromise. Diana showed none of these traits in her private life but strove to achieve those for herself. I'd go as far to even say that a suspicious nature was her greatest enemy.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post

Undoubtedly, the most revealing part of her video diaries is how Diana saw her future.

"She makes it clear that she would do everything possible to make sure Charles never became King. She wanted William to succeed to the Throne when the Queen died. Diana clearly saw her role as the power behind William. She had this somewhat romantic idea of being a king-maker -- the mother behind the monarch", said the source.

He explained that the cameraman had told him last week that his abiding memory from the videos was of a very determined princess that nothing would stand in her way.

[snip]

If she didn't know it already, someone should have told Diana that making William the next king ahead of a living Charles would require an act of the UK parliament, which would then have to be confimed by separate legislation in various Commonwealth realms (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc.) as was the case with the recent Succession to Crown Act, which took about 2 years or so to be ratified and come into force. I doubt the politicians in all involved countries would go along with it based solely on the PoW's extramarital affairs, unless of course Charles himself willingly wanted to renounce his succession rights. It appears to me then that Diana was being completely delusional if she thought it was within her power to have any meaningful influence on that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
What does that say about the Princess of Wales, the future Queen, making herself at least accessible to a cavalry officer (Mr Hewitt), to a car salesman ("Squidgygate" Mr Gilbey), to a protection officer (Mr Mannakee), to an art dealer (Mr Hoare), to a medical surgeon (Mr Khan) and to a playboy (Mr Al Fayed)?
I don't see the point of going back to that discussion, but it suffices to say that Diana's affairs are public knowledge as was Camilla's relation with Charles. Those who are on "camp Diana" so to speak (who still seem to be most of the public 20 years later) will always forgive her transgressions on the premise that "Charles is to blame because he cheated first and treated her badly". I am not saying I agree with that; I'm just pointing out that raising Diana's infidelities will have no meaningful effect on the opinion of those who already decided a long time ago that she was the victim in this story. Her tragic demise just hardened the sympathy people had towards her. Had she stayed alive and carried on with dating Mr Al Fayed or similar boyfriends, perceptions might have started to change and public opinion could have turned against her.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Also the last one was already around the Princess during marriage, according to the butler, referring to his memo's and instructions left by Diana. It seemed Diana thought Mr Al Fayed was instrumental in the her liaisons dangereuses "to win back Mr Khan". In the end the Marquise de Merteuil, eh, pardon, ... I mean, Diana, Princess of Wales, felt for Mr Al Fayed himself.

So spare any blaming towards Camilla because Diana herself was in no any position to blame anyone else at all...
Well the difference is that Diana didn't look elsewhere through choice. She wanted her husband and actually asked Camilla to keep back from him but to avail. She was the only one out of the 2 couples involved who couldn't deal with the situation. Andrew P-B didn't seem to give a fig that his wife was sleeping with Charles and Camilla accepted his affairs too. Diana was the only normal one among these dysfunctional and immoral fruitcakes. Can you imagine Kate accepting William having a mistress? No chance and Diana was no different.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Majesty

I disagree. Diana wanted what Diana wanted and did what Diana wanted to do when Diana wanted to do it and was very selective of who was "in" and who was "out" in her favor. For Diana, the world had to revolve around her and what she wanted and when she didn't get the adoration and love and 100% being put on a pedestal that is typical of a paperback romance, there was someone else always handy to blame.

Just her thinking of the statement presented in a post further upthread that ""She makes it clear that she would do everything possible to make sure Charles never became King. She wanted William to succeed to the Throne when the Queen died. Diana clearly saw her role as the power behind William. She had this somewhat romantic idea of being a king-maker -- the mother behind the monarch", said the source." shows that Diana wasn't dealing with a full deck. Diana wanted what Diana wanted and didn't think things through or take other people into consideration.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well the difference is that Diana didn't look elsewhere through choice..
Lol you always look elsewhere throught choice.
So her affairs were maybe "accidental", and when she said she was madly in love with Manakee and James Hewitt it was accidental as well ?

They were ALL looking elsewhere, and Diana was not exception. When caught, she had just enough stamina to say it was not her fault.

Anyway it's always the same debate...
Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Even the egotistical Hewitt conceded that Charles was the only man she wanted and that if he'd loved her back she'd never have got involved with anyone else. That's backed up by her devastation at the Camilla affair when the rest of the parties involved were perfectly a ease with the whole seedy set up.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm going to since I'm jumping in the middle of a debate here; though I'm just popping in to say that I watched half an hour of the documentary that was about her other tapes last night (there isn't a thread for them so I thought here would be the best place to mention it) but soon switched over to something else as I realised it was not worth watching. Not only did it have a very anti-monarchy vibe but it was also a large invasion of privacy. I don't believe that the tapes should have been aired on television like this; out of respect for Diana given the fact that she is sadly deceased. If I were William and Harry I would not have been comfortable having had my mother's love life and private thoughts shared to millions of strangers.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Even the egotistical Hewitt conceded that Charles was the only man she wanted and that if he'd loved her back she'd never have got involved with anyone else.
Maybe, maybe not.
In any event, you can't force love.
The heart wants what it wants, as someone once famously said.

I don't think these tapes show anyone in a decent light.
Charles and Camilla will probably suffer most, because Diana is beyond where anything can hurt her.