Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is true that that the friendship between Princess Margaret and Princess Diana ended after the Panorama interview because of what Diana said about Charles not being able to rule, so Margaret didn't speak to her after that and didn't allow David and Sarah to either.

Yes, this interview IMO, was her biggest mistake. She has lost all the ones that still respected her in the royal circle and it gave to Charles' friends a reason to hate her and say to the others :"See, what did I tell you !". Before that the only was that she was mad and incapable of doing a thing which is absolutely untrue IMO.

Last edited:
Tina Brown suggests that the relationship between Princess Michael and Diana was less than cordial. I think she wrote that Diana referred to the Kent princess as "the Fuhrer" (page 174 - paperback).

Yes, it says that she and Princess Michael weren't the closest of friends. Princess Michael apparantly spied on Diana, and Diana retalliated by spying on Princess Michael. It must have been rather interesting, living with Princess Margaret, Prince and Princess Michael and Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella, and others at Kensington. Wouldn't that be a great reality t.v. show. I bet Princess Michael would be the one everyone ended up not liking.:D

Yes, it says that she and Princess Michael weren't the closest of friends. Princess Michael apparantly spied on Diana, and Diana retalliated by spying on Princess Michael. It must have been rather interesting, living with Princess Margaret, Prince and Princess Michael and Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella, and others at Kensington. Wouldn't that be a great reality t.v. show. I bet Princess Michael would be the one everyone ended up not liking.:D

Totally. Some said Diana was paranoid but with all these people living around you, I would have turned crazy. Princess Margaret had her spies also. They reported every move of the princess and told her about who went in the apartement etc.

Why would Princess Michael spy on the Princess of Wales?

Anybody knows if Diana has a good relationship with Princess Alexandra? so she's a good friend of Camilla and cousin-friend of Charles.

Diana enjoyed a friendship with Viscount Linley over the years. He accompanied Diana and her sons on a ski trip in the early 90's and she attended his store's grand opening event. She was close to Sarah Armstrong-Jones in the early years - Sarah was seen wearing Diana's hand-me-downs on a few occasions.

Both Sarah and Viscount Linley invited Diana to their weddings.

It is true that that the friendship between Princess Margaret and Princess Diana ended after the Panorama interview because of what Diana said about Charles not being able to rule, so Margaret didn't speak to her after that and didn't allow David and Sarah to either.
So Princess Margaret was quite close to Prince Charles when she was alive?I did not know much of this. Did she approve of the relationship of Charles and Camilla at the time?

Did she approve of the relationship of Charles and Camilla at the time?

That's a really good question. I don't know much about it but if she liked Diana she probably didn't encourage Charles to go with Camilla. Although like her sisiter, The Queen, she thought it was their problem not hers and has long as it didn't cause any damage to the monarchy it was okay.
Prince Philip, I think, didn't really enjoy knowing that his son could cause problems to The Queen (and Diana) by having his affair with Camilla. When they were aware that Diana had found Hewitt, they just forget about it and didn't think Diana would take her revenge on Charles with the Panorama Interview.

I had read in numerous books that Princess Margaret and Diana had a good relationship. The relationship soured on Margaret's side supposedly after the book and the Panaroma interview.:neutral: Don't know true that is?

I read this too but I think Diana always nice things to say about PM, calling her "dear Margot" and saying she was a fun, warm person. It makes sense that PM would have distanced herself from Diana somewhat after the separation and the public expressions of Diana about the marriage. I guess PM took the safe road.

I think most of the royal family was like that. Even though they at times got on well with Diana even after the separation, they tread carefully so to speak.
I think Diana probably felt that the Panorama interview was a mistake, as it made people in general (both people who knew her and didn't even know her) feel uncomfortable. It was just an uncomfortable interview, wasn't it? As uncomfortable as it was for me, who did not know her, I can't imagine how awkward it made those who knew her feel. The tragic thing about Diana is, I think now at 46 she would be such a different, evolved, mature person. I feel strongly that she would have by now battled out most of her worse demons, at any rate.

The Queen has always understood that some people who aren't as high as her in the hierarchy could be different and do things she wouldn't dare to do. She has forgiven Margaret for being sometimes too provocative and she has been really patient with Diana and Fergie. Some people seem to forget that sometimes and reproach her to not live in our world.

This is one thing I have always admired about HM, her extraordinary patience. Some might call it passivity, and I'm sure sometimes she has been frustratingly passive, but HM is always the one making excuses and trying to see people's better sides. There is so much to be said for that.

Last edited:
I read this too but I think Diana always nice things to say about PM, calling her "dear Margot" and saying she was a fun, warm person. It makes sense that PM would have distanced herself from Diana somewhat after the separation and the public expressions of Diana about the marriage. I guess PM took the safe road..

I don't think it was about safe path for Princess Margaret.
She has herself done quite a lot of mad and scandalous things, but she was always fiercely loyal to her sister - I guess she saw the interview (and so do I, quite honestly) as a betrayal and a slap for the Queen. And she would never forgive that anyone, not even Diana.

The tragic thing about Diana is, I think now at 46 she would be such a different, evolved, mature person. I feel strongly that she would have by now battled out most of her worse demons, at any rate.

Yes, I think this also. In 1997, she was already working things out by having mature conversations with Charles and I think she would have done the same with the RF. Life didn't give her this chance but as the years pass the anger goes away and leave the place to some understanding.

I don't think it was about safe path for Princess Margaret.
She has herself done quite a lot of mad and scandalous things, but she was always fiercely loyal to her sister - I guess she saw the interview (and so do I, quite honestly) as a betrayal and a slap for the Queen. And she would never forgive that anyone, not even Diana.

That makes a lot of sense. I never thought of the Panorama interview causing a decisive break in their relations, though I can see why it was seen by PM as Diana crossing the line. It was certainly one of Diana's most questionable actions, very awkward, and making things uncomfortable for many of her personal relationships. I suppose she was still feeling a bit vengeful and like TheTruth points out, she didn't start burying the hatchet and healing the wounds until after the divorce, and certainly in the last year. Maybe it's like one of my favorite movie lines, from What Lies Beneath: "Yes, it's a beatiful thing, alimony: Lose a husband, get a car!" In a similar vein, the divorce set her free, closed the book on things, and led to some important healing.

The rule is - you never crap on your own doorstep.

It is said that one of the Queen Mother's guiding rules was "Never Complain, Never Explain". It's certainly the way that the Queen and Princess Margaret have lived their royal lives. The Panorama interview really flew in the face of that, and I can see how Princess Margaret would have turned her back on Diana after that.

I read this too but I think Diana always nice things to say about PM, calling her "dear Margot" and saying she was a fun, warm person. It makes sense that PM would have distanced herself from Diana somewhat after the separation and the public expressions of Diana about the marriage. I guess PM took the safe road.

Actually Princess Margaret distanced herself from Diana after the publication of Andrew Morton's book well before the Panorama interview. I think it was because the Morton book did hurt the Queen and because Princess Margaret loved her older sister very much despite differences between the two sisters.

One of Margaret's friends said, Until the Morton book, she liked Diana but with any attack on the Queen, Princess Margaret reacts violently. She has not said enough bad things since then about Diana.

So Princess Margaret was quite close to Prince Charles when she was alive?I did not know much of this. Did she approve of the relationship of Charles and Camilla at the time?
Yes she was close to Charles when she was alive and wanted him to be king, but she also loved Diana because she was like a free spirit like her and Camilla wasn't as fun as Diana, but after Diana did the Panorama interview Margaret cut off the friendship.

Last edited:
it's rather a shame that diana didn't seek out margaret for advice. given margarets early celebrity she probably could have been a great friend. this might have been true with sarah as well.

I don't think Margaret was that much of an advice giver. Plus I think the Queen forgave a lot from her baby sister that she wouldn't forgive from her daughter-in-laws so if Diana and Sarah copied some of Margaret's behavior, I don't necessarily think it would have kept them out of the royal doghouse!

Though Diana and Anne weren't close, I have read that Diana respected Anne and the hard work she had done with Save the Children.

Though Diana and Anne weren't close, I have read that Diana respected Anne and the hard work she had done with Save the Children.

It's clear that they didn't like each other really but I don't think Diana personaly attacked Anne. Although I remember that Anne said :"It's not my cup of tea to hold every child". That was totally directed to Diana.

Well yes. I think the actual comment was "I don't do stunts" when a photographer said "Why don't you pick one of them up?" which I can wholeheartedly agree with and see her reasons for saying that. Anne did get there first and never got any praise because she wasn't a leggy blonde and didn't ask for "sicker children" to be pushed to the front where the cameras were waiting.

ask for "sicker children" to be pushed to the front where the cameras were waiting.
And theres no proof that Diana ever said that.

No but who doubts a nun?

Well yes. I think the actual comment was "I don't do stunts" when a photographer said "Why don't you pick one of them up?" which I can wholeheartedly agree with and see her reasons for saying that. Anne did get there first and never got any praise because she wasn't a leggy blonde and didn't ask for "sicker children" to be pushed to the front where the cameras were waiting.

Well maybe but the 'leggy blonde' raised a hell of a lot of money and I don't see anybody today that could do that as much as she did.

Princess Anne did a hell of a lot too you know. If you're trying to say that Diana did more for charity, I'd suggest to you that Anne may not have spread herself around like Diana did but unlike Diana she was dedicated to every single patronage she took and indeed, made it clear she'd only take them if there was a real role for her, not just because there might be glory in it if she let her name appear on the letter heads.

Diana was dedicated to all of her patronages especially AIDS and Landmines.
She was the first famous person to ever publicly shake hands with a person who had the virus at a time when the genral public thought that HIV could be transmitted through touch. Anne and Diana's charity works are in completly two different leagues but they had the main purpose to help those in need.

Princess Anne did a hell of a lot too you know. If you're trying to say that Diana did more for charity, I'd suggest to you that Anne may not have spread herself around like Diana did but unlike Diana she was dedicated to every single patronage she took and indeed, made it clear she'd only take them if there was a real role for her, not just because there might be glory in it if she let her name appear on the letter heads.

Yes I know that also but anyway those charities would have never attract so many people. And I'm not the only one to say that, the charities say it too.

Actually, Pope Pius XII was the first person to publicly shake hands with a person who had HIV when he met Liberace.

That can't even be proven since no one knows when Liberace contracted the virus.

Back
Top Bottom