Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO there was a lot about Diana that Prince Charles didn't know and vice versa about each other before they got married. They didn't really know each other very well when they got married.

Nascarlucy, I think you are right. That is what I meant by writting that her pedigree and her virginity was the most important thing. Had they had the chance like Will and Kate, there is NO doubt in my mind that they would never have gotten married.

Diana has been dead a long time. May she rest in peace. What would have happened if she lived will never be known. Speculation is useless.

:previous:
If Her Majesty were aware, as you stated, of incompatibility between Prince Charles and then Lady Diana Spencer, why did she allow the union to take place? Was there a hope that Princess of Wales would close her eyes and think about the Great Britain?
Oh, that is rude and unkind to both Diana and Charles. IMO Charles was besotted by that glowing charisma that Diana exuded. Why would he be any different to the majority of men that met her. Unfortunately their differences in nature and temperament were too great to overcome. That is sad. To infer something as vulgar as you have does her an incredible disservice and reduces her to a brainless thing.

Diana and Charles didn't have the chance to get to know each other. The dated 6 mos and saw each other less than 20 times; in a case like that both parties are still putting on their good dating faces. I truly think that if Charles had gotten to know Diana better he might have never proposed to her. I can't say the same for Diana because she was so young and probably believed in the fantasy enough to think that she could make herself more compatible to him because at 19 she didn't even know who she truly was yet and that someone like Charles wasn't suited to her.

Oh, that is rude and unkind to both Diana and Charles. IMO Charles was besotted by that glowing charisma that Diana exuded. Why would he be any different to the majority of men that met her. Unfortunately their differences in nature and temperament were too great to overcome. That is sad. To infer something as vulgar as you have does her an incredible disservice and reduces her to a brainless thing.
... rude and unkind ...? It has been said and endlessly repeated in a lofty/direct/diplomatic wording that Prince Charles' interest in Lady Diana was lukewarm at best.

Last edited:
Diana has been dead a long time. May she rest in peace. What would have happened if she lived will never be known. Speculation is useless.

I agree, at times its morbid one could say with such confidence that her life could have gone wherever with only his or her own personal bias to back them up.

olebabs
It was allowed to go unreputed by the Royal family, because they never, quite rightly, comment ón their private life.
The media is known to exaggerate and paint a rumor as truth so I agree with the BRF not to comment.
I remember reading Tina Brown's bio of the Princess and she wrote somewhere about how one day Charles was in his garden at Highgrove with a friend. And he told this person about the sweater he was wearing. And how Diana had bought it for him and he said she has impeccable taste. Very nice story but I doubt its truthfulness. A member of Charles' inner circle meeting with Brown and speaking of an intimate moment seems a little far fetch. As a journalist student I've never really taken Ms. Brown seriously.

Princess Diana and Prince Charles had a very short courtship (less than a year). The relationship seemed to be rushed. Because Prince Charles was in his early 30's, there was mounting pressure on him to marry and the sooner the better.

If they didn't have the pressure to marry, it would have been interesting to have seen where their relationship would have gone. Or what Princess Diana's relationship with the Queen and other family members might have been in different circumstances. They might have gotten married or they may have gone their separate paths. No one really knows what might have happened in this case.

Last edited:
... rude and unkind ...? It has been said and endlessly repeated in a lofty/direct/diplomatic wording that Prince Charles' interest in Lady Diana was lukewarm at best.
Tina Brown, Paul Burrell and Andrew Morton et al, could hardly be called reputable sources however, there is absolutely no situation in which I would find your statement at best, distasteful and at worst, utterly repugnant!

I could not disagree with that statement more. When I met them when they visited NZ I can only say what I saw with my own eyes. He was riveted by her as she smiled and charmed her way around the assembled people with her incredible charisma. To me he seemed absurdly proud and totally besotted. I am sad that their relationship did not mature into something more lasting but I have no doubts personally, that at that time, he was as in love with her as she was with him.

Last edited:
I actually meant that TRF loyalists of Prince Charles and Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall, said and repeated that Prince Charles' interest was lukewarm. I find your righteous indignation odd at best.

Last edited:
Well, I did read the article in question...it is very long and is a curious entwining of the sound and the not-so-sound to the out-and-out fabricated...
I was unsure at first what to think of this article and the "truth" it may contain. Then I checked a book by the same author, written after Diana's death and here he wrote:

"Elizabeth II had been one of the first in the family to fall out of love with Diana.
"The Queen is a very good judge of character," says one of her staff. "She was very quick in 'sussing' the less fortunate sides of the princess's personality."
The queen had tried to be fair to her daughter-in-law, taking her side on occasions in the bitter separation battle with Charles. But Diana's open sniping at what she had publicly derided as the stuffy palace establishment made her the last person for whom the queen — or still less her strong-minded husband — would command such a change. Only days previously Diana had been parading the Mediterranean with her Egyptian playboy lover, the couple draped over each other half naked, to the horror of the royal family and the agonised embarrassment of her sons."

In the new article he wrote:
What’s largely been forgotten in the dramatic arc of Diana’s short life is that the Queen was one of her most caring supporters.
‘She looked out at Diana coping all on her own and she really felt for her,’ said one of the Queen’s friends.
‘If anything, they tried not to side with Charles against Diana,’ said a friend.
‘They were very conscious that, in a sense, she did not have a family, and that they had to try to supply her with that.’

Make up your own minds about that....

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana seemed to be unable to see this, unfortunately--or at least she couldn't remember, years later. :sad:

He was riveted by her as she smiled and charmed her way around the assembled people with her incredible charisma. To me he seemed absurdly proud and totally besotted.

‘She looked out at Diana coping all on her own and she really felt for her,’ said one of the Queen’s friends.

It seems very odd to me, that if she felt so much for her, that she would do nothing but look. To my recollection Diana always stated that her respect for the Queen was emmense. If the article is true and help was provided for Diana, I am certain that she would have done what the Queen asked of her.

I am sure the Queen is a very wise woman on many subjects, but if she is so clever as to be able to suss out people, she should never have allowed them to marry in the first place.

This is by no means menant as a critique of the Queen, but merely a response to the article

I actually meant that TRF loyalists of Prince Charles and Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall, said and repeated that Prince Charles' interest was lukewarm. I find your righteous indignation odd at best.

Its such a general statement, yours is. Who are these TRF 'loyalists'? Is there a club? Can one get a membership? ;)

Anyway, I'm not a 'loyalist' of anybody - but I do care about people in the media spotlight who get smeared and have to take slanders in silence - which I have always thought was happening with Charles and Camilla.

These I would think are facts of human nature - its nigh on impossible for good-hearted, well-intentioned people to not feel something for each other in the intimacy of marriage rituals. Of course these two people felt something for each other. Of course Charles loved her - and her him. How could they not have? Diana was having her first taking - massively important - and no man can resist a woman who loves him. Of course they loved each other in the first flush of erotic passion - a kind of love. It was observable - as noted below by Marg who saw them in person - and it can be seen in their early photos.

I could not disagree with that statement more. When I met them when they visited NZ I can only say what I saw with my own eyes. He was riveted by her as she smiled and charmed her way around the assembled people with her incredible charisma. To me he seemed absurdly proud and totally besotted. I am sad that their relationship did not mature into something more lasting but I have no doubts personally, that at that time, he was as in love with her as she was with him.

The reality was that both had personalities - and characters - neither had any real knowledge of before the marriage - and both were taken by surprise. No amount of erotic tension could sustain the disparity. Unlike some I do believe that Charles was serious about his marriage - its in his character to have been so. He is nothing if not serious about his actions and I trust that he went into the marriage whole-heartedly - there was no one 'in the wings' - and what Marge saw - or intuited - was real.

MARG said:
Tina Brown, Paul Burrell and Andrew Morton et al, could hardly be called reputable sources however, there is absolutely no situation in which I would find your statement at best, distasteful and at worst, utterly repugnant!

I agree that they were in love, yet I was a very immature love, and a love interrupted, as it were. Interrupted by mental illness and emotional frailty on both sides, all of which prevented its growth into the kind of mature love that stands the test of time.

I think that you're "right on the money" here, Tyger. Charles is a serious, passionate man. He doesn't seem the type to do things just to go through the motions. Yes, he was under pressure to marry. True, he didn't understand Diana's character. But I can't see him coolly going into a marriage he didn't really believe in.

Unlike some I do believe that Charles was serious about his marriage - its in his character to have been so.

Let's get back on topic...Diana's relationships with the Queen and other members of the British Royal Family....we don't need to rehash the Charles and Diana marriage yet AGAIN.

Please note that posts have been deleted as off topic.

There topic of this thread is Diana's relationship with The Queen and other members of the British Royal Family, therefore there is no need to specualte on her supposed relationship with Kate, if William should reign before Charles, etc.

Nor is there any reason to be rude and curt with fellow members.

Any and additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Watching Kate being nurtured along by the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall I am wondering if this is a function of the acknowledged mistakes of the past - as with Diana?

Does anyone have any insight or information as to why Diana would not have been more openly seen with other Royals - or am I just forgetting what was actually happening back then? It is all a blur and a very long time ago.

Kate has only been on visits with the Queen and Duchess of Cornwall though while Prince William has been in the Falklands, who knows whether these visits would have happened if not for that? Prince Charles was around when Diana was taking her first steps as a royal and he accompanied her. He was also a full-time working royal, whereas William, of course, isn't.

:previous: Yes, Charles was with Diana on most of her engagements early on. I believe that her first official solo engagement was turning on the Regent Street Christmas lights in 1981? Her first solo engagement "performing" was in Norway in 1984. She had been to Princess Grace's funeral in 1982, but that was in a different category. There wouldn't have been any interaction with the public. In those early years, Prince Charles guided her a lot.

I know Diana had a friendship with the duchess of York but was Diana close to any other member of the BRF? The Queen?

I know Diana had a friendship with the duchess of York but was Diana close to any other member of the BRF? The Queen?

This thread is about Diana's relationships so reading back through it will give you the best answers. She was supposedly close to Princess Margaret for a while, The Duchess of Kent

I was going to say the exact same thing. There's 20 pages of answers to that question.

This thread is about Diana's relationships so reading back through it will give you the best answers. She was supposedly close to Princess Margaret for a while, The Duchess of Kent

I did not know Diana was close to the Duchess of Kent.

I know she was once close to Margaret, but after the break with Charles Margaret came to detest both Diana and Fergie.

Last edited:
They were close, yes. I remember Diana quoted as saying about the Duchess of Kent that she "would have liked to have looked after her." She could see the Duchess's fragility, and the Duchess would have understood the difficulty of marrying into the Royal Family.

I did not know Diana was close to the Duchess of Kent.

It doesn't surprise me that the Duchess of Kent and Diana were close, Katharine seems like such a nice person who get along well with everyone and she's been through so much, I'm sure she'd understand how hard a time Diana had.

They were close, yes. I remember Diana quoted as saying about the Duchess of Kent that she "would have liked to have looked after her." She could see the Duchess's fragility, and the Duchess would have understood the difficulty of marrying into the Royal Family.

Indeed, the Duchess did look a bit frail at yesterday's service.

Back
Top Bottom