The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
The Queen and Diana had a civil relationship after the Panorama Interview for the sake of the grandchildren. Before that TV interview the relationship with Diana, Princess of Wales and the Queen and Duke was in patch up mode for the marriage of Diana and Charles. I think the Queen and the Duke really were worried about the princes and the monarchy.
__________________

__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
The Queen and Diana had a civil relationship after the Panorama Interview for the sake of the grandchildren. Before that TV interview the relationship with Diana, Princess of Wales and the Queen and Duke was in patch up mode for the marriage of Diana and Charles.
So we are led to believe, by some or it could have been that HM really liked Diana and made every effort, like Philip to show her affection?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:42 AM
killer_bee's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well a few years after the wedding, their relationship wasn't very good. Diana went against alot of protocole 'rules', which didn't please the Queen but most of all Prince Philip. He's a very tough man, go-by-the-book man. All the contrary of Diana. I believe that by their differences they couldn't get along very well...
Yes it seems that Andrew and Diana got on quite well
Prince Philp didn't get on with Diana
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne & Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,983
Prince Philip and Diana did get on rather well considering. They shared a correspondance even after the divorce and although at times there was stalemate and were less than 'sugary' in what it was they were compelled to say; they remained in touch and had a good deal of affection for one another.

Diana respected Philip, and Philip tried his best to empathise with Diana, and she appreciated it (as I recall having read numerous times).
__________________

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St Helens, United Kingdom
Posts: 294
My understanding on the relationship between Diana and the other royals is:

a) The Royal Family doesn't take easily to outsiders, ie, anyone not born into the family. Royalty hates competition from any direction whatsoever because virtually from birth, they've been used to occupying the limelight and have taken it for granted so when Diana came along and eclipsed them all almost overnight and apparently without any effort on her part, they didn't like it at all.

b) The Queen is a countrywoman at heart but Diana was more a town/city person. It has often been said that there was mutual antipathy between the Queen and Diana but that's not true; it was nothing to do with antipathy at all, it's just that they were incompatible.

c) Diana was a very modern-minded woman and she found most of the other royals too remote, too absorbed in themselves, too aware of their status and too insensitive to the plight of others who were less fortunate than themselves. She didn't like being dictated to and found the system too restrictive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 50
Rather you want to realize it or not. Everyone on here defending Diana should take a minute or two to realize that she is not the Angel that she was made out to be by the press. She had her ways also behind closed doors. It is just a shame that when they were getting divorced that the press took the side of Diana. As though she was being mistreated when in reality she was being a bit harsh towards the royal family. She had her ways as well I am sure. They're is two sides to every story. And no one wants to hear Charles's story. Or hear the royal family's views on the way Diana TREATED THEM. She was no Angel. But a ordinary woman who signed in on the wrong marriage. May she rest in peace and may everyone please stop talking about this woman and praising her as though she is Christ. She was far from that ladies and gentlemen! LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Rather you want to realize it or not. Everyone on here defending Diana should take a minute or two to realize that she is not the Angel
I think there are a majority of people on this board who already know that.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,223
Let's not debate whether or not Diana was or was not an Angel.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of Diana whether its pro or con.

We can certainly talk about her relationship with other members of the British Royal Family without going down that road again.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 01-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 50
I think that Diana had a relationship with the royal family that was very cordial, but I don't think she loved any of them really. I think that after you divorce your husband you divorce that family as well. Your children are still members of that family, but you aren't. That is what I think. I think that you should look at it as though they are everyday people. Rather they are royal or not. I think that divorce works that same in any family. I however do apologize if I have stepped on anyone's toes. I think that Diana was a wonderful person, who didn't fit into royalty. Charles was better off marrying a Princess in another country. (Although I think he was related to most of them in Europe), he should have found some royal woman to marry who would have been more prepared for the job (Princess of Wales), and it would have been easier for the family.

What people fail to see is that being royalty is not something that can be married into (as though it may seem). It is a way of being. That can only be learned from BIRTH. That is why royalty is different from commoners and other members of society. Diana, Princess of Wales wasn't brought up like Charles or any royal for that matter. So how could you assume that she would be able to maintain a good relationship with members of the royal family. When in reality she is NOTHING LIKE THEM. I think that is the real reason that Diana did not fit into that family and that is the reason that she had such a hard time. This is what I THINK. I am not saying that any of this is known fact.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 01-01-2010, 06:18 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,174
I think there are a few Crown Princesses in Europe that would give the lie to your statement that you have to be born royal to be really accepted as royal.
Mette-Marit Maxima, Mary, Letizia, etc. seem to be living well adjusted lives for all they are commoners, wives and popular with their husbands families and their future subjects!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,219
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon seemed to get along quite well with her in-laws as well. Her husband's parents apparently were totally accepting of her, and the only negative comment seemed to be from Princess Marina, and later, the Duchess of Windsor.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon seemed to get along quite well with her in-laws as well. Her husband's parents apparently were totally accepting of her, and the only negative comment seemed to be from Princess Marina, and later, the Duchess of Windsor.

And she hadn't been raised in regular contact with the royals the way Diana had, but she, and Alice of Gloucester managed quite well.

Sophie also seems to be coping very well so it seems that it isn't the royal family that is the problem but the individuals concerned and the way they fit into the royal family (this is not putting the blame on Diana and Sarah but rather saying that there were problems both ways).

The royals have had no real problems with the majority of people who married in - only with one definitely and one possibly (Sarah has never really indicated a problem with the family but with the staff around the royals).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,219
And we mustn't forget Captain Mark Phillips. His marriage with Princess Anne broke down, but we haven't heard about him having problems with the family per se. Prince Charles was supposed to have said that he was "like fog, thick and wet," but there's no law saying that we have to always love everything about our in-laws...although I've been very fortunate in that respect. I think that it comes down to the people involved in the marriages, and not the families into which they marry--unless the family is horribly, horribly disfunctional and interferes with the marriage. The main criticism of the Queen is that she didn't interfere enough with her children's marriages, which I don't think is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The royals have had no real problems with the majority of people who married in - only with one definitely and one possibly (Sarah has never really indicated a problem with the family but with the staff around the royals).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmonds View Post
... [snipped]
What people fail to see is that being royalty is not something that can be married into (as though it may seem). It is a way of being. That can only be learned from BIRTH. That is why royalty is different from commoners and other members of society. Diana, Princess of Wales wasn't brought up like Charles or any royal for that matter. So how could you assume that she would be able to maintain a good relationship with members of the royal family. When in reality she is NOTHING LIKE THEM. I think that is the real reason that Diana did not fit into that family and that is the reason that she had such a hard time. This is what I THINK. I am not saying that any of this is known fact.
I have to partially agree with you. Indeed, a Princess has got a much better understanding about intricacies and limitations associated with the royal life. The case of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, is slightly different. Despite initial troubles, she did a decent job as a Crown Princess. Belonging to the British nobility, Lady Diana Spenser had a good idea about the way British royal family functioned. At the same time, a complex amalgam of personal issues and outside factors prevented her from saving face by preserving the marriage.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,219
Exactly. She did her job of being Princess of Wales beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Belonging to the British nobility, Lady Diana Spenser had a good idea about the way British royal family functioned. At the same time, a complex amalgam of personal issues and outside factors prevented her from saving face by preserving the marriage.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,601
Cool

I agree, Diana, as the Princess of Wales, did a great job and brought popularity back to the Royal Family. We have to remember that when Diana became engaged to Charles and then married, she was only 19 and then 20 years old at the time. An overwhelming responsibility was placed on her at a very young age. I know I couldn't have done such a task, but she managed to come through with flying colors even after some shaky moments.
I've always read that Diana had a warm relationship with the Queen and Prince Philip, Andrew and Edward. Anne may have been different because I believe she's a no nonsense personality who has little time for chit chat and Diana and Margaret had common interests in ballet and music.
I do believe that the relationships changed when Diana gave the Panorama interview and the family disapproved her "airing the dirty laundry" as it were, plus however a family may fuss at each other, when they believe they are being smirched, they circle the wagons. Margaret was very furious and refused to have anymore to do with Diana.
It's hindsight, but if she hadn't done the interview, her status would have remained favorable for her, but it's water under the bridge now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I agree, Diana, as the Princess of Wales, did a great job and brought popularity back to the Royal Family.
Not to go off topic, but was the British Royal Family really that unpopular before Diana appeared on the scene? I would rather assume that she became popular because she was a member of the British Royal Family.

However, I think Princess Diana had quite a good relationship with the Duchess of Kent, right? I always wondered how the relationship with the Duke has been, but to judge from pictures - especially from Wimbledon - I think they also shared quite a friendly relationship to each other.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,223
The BRF was never unpopular...I just think that Diana's entrance in the family brought the family to a new level of popularity. Much as the Queen Mother when the Duchess of York did for the Windsors. Just a new level of admirers, more press interest, etc. I hate to say it but I believe everyone knows it to be true....Youth...Beauty....Wealth...Glamour sells every time. That is why the British press was so fascinated with Diana (and the young Duchess of York, Princess Marina when she was newly married as well as the new Queen Elizabeth II).

From what I read, Diana did get on with the Duchess of Kent (Katharine). I think Katharine's estrangement from the Duke (which had been gradual until Diana's death) took new meaning after her death. In the Duchess of Kent book, the author mentions that Katharine felt some of the same things that Diana felt in her marriage. No support from the BRF when she married into it, no compassion from the DoK when she was experiencing problems, the press heavy interest, etc.

In conversation with Elspeth a while back, she mentioned that the press interest in Katharine, Duchess of Kent back in the day was VERY SIMILAR to the press interest in Diana. There was a lot of focus on her youth, her energy, her looks and cltohes.
__________________
.

Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,601
Cool

I didn't choose my words correctly above. The Royal Family was never unpopular, however, when Diana appeared, interest in the Royal Family soared because many in the press considered a breath of fresh air to a family that had become rather boring. She was a fresh face and energy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,219
Yes, I think that I'd have to agree with you. Although the Queen's image was present on money and on portraits in public places, I wasn't really interested in the monarchy until Diana came along. When I started following her, then I became more interested in the Royal Family; and I'm still interested in the Royal Family now, 12 years after Diana's death.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's family, princess diana, relationships


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family kil Royal Family of Spain 458 02-14-2014 08:46 AM
Interviews with Members of the Royal Family SpiffyBallerina Royal House of Sweden 92 02-08-2014 07:16 PM
Relationships between the Members of the Danish Royal Family jellybeans Royal House of Denmark 303 01-04-2014 07:11 AM
Relationships between members of the British Royal Family Ava Elizabeth British Royals 215 11-28-2013 01:18 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]