The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Diana made it clear how she felt about the RF in those tapes of her phone conversations that leaked to the public.
How they felt about her at the beginning, during that marriage and after her death is something we can only assume to know.
I agree Diana had a lot of issues and Charles inability to understand or help her compounded her problems.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think they thought much about it until it was flung in their faces. They were not used to "outsiders" commanding this kind of attention. I think, if she had found warmth inisde the RF, she might have reacted differently, but who knows. Charles was the pivot and he was too into Charles and another to really care.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree 100%. One could have thought that even an aristocrat who lived "next door" could cause them some distress, because of her youth alone. Diana added to it on her side, her insecurities and Charles and the family were not used to handling such issues. Even if they had to resolve their problems in privacy, she was a handful. Add the papparazzi to the mix and they had a time bomb in their hands. Such a pity!
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 AM
Heir Apparent

It certainly wasn't the kind of language that a person would expect to hear from Diana as she presented herself in public, or for that matter a description of in-laws that any real "lady" would make. I think that this was the first real crack in the image she was trying to present of herself. Here was the 'wronged wife', the victim, making plans to meet up with a male friend and worrying about getting pregnant.

I believe that Diana started her royal career with great hopes that Charles and she would be together for a long time. She was a wonderful Princess of Wales during her appearances and did many good public works. I expect that she ultimately disappointed herself as much as she disappointed others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I thought Diana made it clear how she felt about the RF in those tapes of her phone conversations that leaked to the public.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mermaid, this is to show us all that we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Most appear sweet and friendly and nice and approachable, when in fact, some behave worse than any of us could, when the cameras are no longer clicking.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I believe things could have turned out so beneficially for all of them. Diana's 'fame' would have brought something unique to the RF if she hadn't had this feeling of being whether supported or hated. There certainly was a big communication problem coming from Charles but she was definitely not a good example either: if you see people simply black or white, you never get to understand human nature (which is a huge handicap for someone who has to rule a country).

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

All Diana's 'fame' brought to the Royal Family was 'celebrity'. She apparently couldn't see the difference between being a royal and being a celeb.

Hard enough for a mature person to deal with a troublesome 20 something but a headstrong, disturbed 20 something..... I have heard it said that those with parents in a troubled relationship end up unable to form decent relationships themselves.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
All Diana's 'fame' brought to the Royal Family was 'celebrity'. She apparently couldn't see the difference between being a royal and being a celeb.
Of course; Yet, we can't deny that people had a huge interest in British Royals was when Diana was a member of it (I mean 'talked' in a good way...I'm not speaking about what happened after the separation). It could have been used in a great way and perhaps minimize the abolition threat a little.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Of course; Yet, we can't deny that people had a huge interest in British Royals was when Diana was a member of it (I mean 'talked' in a good way...I'm not speaking about what happened after the separation). It could have been used in a great way and perhaps minimize the abolition threat a little.
There was a great deal of interest in the Royals before Diana, not the frenzy, just a respectful interest. They were seen as reserved but 'worthy', people with standards to live up to, but that was in the days when it was not acceptable to be hugging and kissing total strangers, it is not something 'we' did. We didn't need therapists because we had cut a finger, people just got on with life. Rant, rant, rant.

There may not have been the interest abroad (I can't speak for Canada, New Zealand or Australia), but that was immaterial to many here. I don't recall there being a great deal of talk about abolishing the monarchy pre 1997, although Blair in '95 would have done so if he could have found support it is alleged.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
There may not have been the interest abroad (I can't speak for Canada, New Zealand or Australia)
There was still a huge amount of respectful interest here at that time, but mainly amongst the older Australians, many of whom still spoke of England as "home".

We were still British Subjects, and we could still appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council from decisions of our High Court (till 1975) and State Supreme Courts (till 1986).

Diana's entrance to the royal stage led to increased interest, and of course the arrival of William and Harry caused a frenzy amongst royal watchers, but it was still a respectful frenzy for those first few years.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I would say that the same was true for Canada.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Gentry

I know that I'm a bit late with this reply but was reading the whole thread only today. Also I might get my post deleted as this is nothing to do with the purpose of the thread, but I just cannot let it be!!! Princess Margaret was not allowed to marry the love of her life as he was divorced. Dear BeatrixFan, maybe you can explain this better than me.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Margaret was allowed to marry Peter Townsend, but she would have had to give up her Royal privileges and income. She chose her status.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

No, Margaret made the choice. It's hard to live off of love when you're used to having a substantial amount of money in your bank account.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Margaret would not have had to lose her privileges and income, only her place in the succession. I am not, however, certain that the government actually told her of their secret plans. Eden drew up plan to let Margaret marry lover Townsend - UK Politics, UK - The Independent
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

She was, I understand told that at the very least she would lose her civil list monies and all royal privileges. It is easy to forget that this was at a time when divorce was still very much frowned upon.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
It's been said The Queen had serious reservations about Diana from the beginning, including the fact she was very young, hadn't really done much with her life yet and was known to be quite willful. But she didn't press her case and did like Diana personally, so the marriage proceeded.

I think The Queen was very sympathetic to Diana and made a lot of effort to accommodate her (some have said too much), but at the end of the day, the monarchy had to come first. Diana became very bitter and angry and lost her sense of perspective and that damaged the monarchy.
I think I agree with you, I was thinking about this a few nights ago and really I believe in the beginning from what I've read/seen that the Queen and the Duke we're both protective of Diana, I think they mostly got along well, we saw with the letters that even during the War of the Wales Phillip and The Queen we're still trying to help out Diana. Despite what Diana may have thought at the time I think the Queen felt it wasn't her right to interfere in the marriage but I think she always cared. Unfortunately when they finally did interfere it was too late. Although I think the one thing that changed it all was when Diana went and did Panorama. I don't think they hated her after that cause I feel hate it a very strong word to use but I feel that they were utterly disappointed that she would go and do such a thing. I'm sure as we all were they were shocked and to some degree very sad over her death I mean she was their grand children's mother. I wouldn't know what they think of her now after all this stuff has come out but that's my two cents about their relationship during the marriage. I don't know what the Queen knew about the marriage and what she didn't while it was going on so that's as far as I can comment.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum View Post
I know that I'm a bit late with this reply but was reading the whole thread only today. Also I might get my post deleted as this is nothing to do with the purpose of the thread, but I just cannot let it be!!! Princess Margaret was not allowed to marry the love of her life as he was divorced. Dear BeatrixFan, maybe you can explain this better than me.
I know that he was divorced and had two small children. I don't need it explained to me! I am awear of the veiw of divorced people and the Royal family at this point in time (after the Duke of Windsor). She still chose to give him up to keep her place in line to the throne and her money(which at the time she thought she would lose) and I only mentioned this on this thread because it is about Diana's relationshiops with the members of the Royal family and as BeatrixFan had pointed out Margaret did not approve of Diana's actions and thought that she damaged the RF but took no account IMO to her own actions when she was younger! tMy opinion was that I found them very much alike both getting meida spot- light not always for the greatest news stories, and other common factors I feel they shared. You don't have to agree with me and I respect that but like I stated it is IMO.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

They never hated her. The Queen was very sympathetic and protective of Diana until she blew it with her Panorama antics. At that point, she had gone too far and lost the support of The Queen.

Princess Margaret was also supportive until the interview aired, after which she wrote Diana a frank letter expressing her anger and disappointment, stating The Princess had let everyone down and was unable to make even a small sacrifice for the sake of the monarchy.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well its good that the Princess of Wales and the Queen had a much better relationship by the Princess' death.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's family, princess diana, relationships