Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We know he had it (or at least he had been to the doctor complaining of the symptoms) when he met the Pope. Still, who am I to question Di's divinity?

Princess Anne did a hell of a lot too you know. If you're trying to say that Diana did more for charity, I'd suggest to you that Anne may not have spread herself around like Diana did but unlike Diana she was dedicated to every single patronage she took and indeed, made it clear she'd only take them if there was a real role for her, not just because there might be glory in it if she let her name appear on the letter heads.

No one doubts this, I think. Princess Anne is well-known for her hard work and high number of patronages. The thing is, however, you are trying to give her credit as "beating" Diana to AIDS, and I am not sure that is true. I think Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, and Diana all got involved in various AIDS work in the eighties and I am not sure who "got there first" or if it matters. I think the important thing is that they all did important work for AIDS/HIV. Whatever you feel about Diana, there is no use to undermine her influence in this area because the fact remains that her popularity was her most powerful weapon as a humanitarian. That is what made Diana such a good humanitarian, just being able to bring attention to things. As good and intelligent as dear Princess Anne is, she just never had the massive drawing power Diana had. She never wanted it, to be sure, but this is something Diana had and she used it, for whatever reasons. It doesn't matter why she used it, for the fact is that it would have been wasteful not to use such power to help charities.

Last edited:
Princess Anne and Princess Diana

did princess anne go to any of the diana tributes during the anniversary of her death. i read that the two were so different they really didn't get along.anne being upset that diana didn't allow her to be godmother to either of her sons.what has been anne's reaction to diana's death and the aftermath?i saw princess anne standing with the rest of the royal family at diana's funeral when her casket went by, anne looked shocked at the tragedy.

Diana with the Duke and Duchess of Kent ... here's the picture .

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL, the caption with that photo implies that Prince Edward, the Queen Mother, Prince Philip, the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Princess of Wales, Princess Anne, and Mark Phillips all gathered outside Sandringham House and announced this pregnancy. Do you really think that happened? :lol:

LOL, the caption with that photo implies that Prince Edward, the Queen Mother, Prince Philip, the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Princess of Wales, Princess Anne, and Mark Phillips all gathered outside Sandringham House and announced this pregnancy. Do you really think that happened? :lol:

LOL :ROFLMAO:. Sorry didn't read my sentence again. "The Royal Family announces that the Prince & Princess Of Wales are expecting". That's the title of the picture according to the site. :flowers:

Last edited:
I have to agree--airing dirty laundry is never a good idea. Especially if you have children. Charles and Diana airing their business all over the newswaves created too much bitterness and divisiveness among people.

And, I miss Princess Margaret, too.

Like you said, revealing some private matters when you have children is an horrible thing to do. Just imagine what William and Harry must have heard about their parents : insults, critics, ... . For sure, the War of the Waleses didn't save anyone from the massacre.

the answer is not at all! Princess Margaret may have been on the "rebel" side, but she was an ardent pro-monarchist and supported the privileges of the aristocracy. Diana's appeals to common popularity were very disagreeable to Margaret.

we know that diana got on well with sarah chatto and david linley as well as lady helen - i think i saw a picture of her hugging prince andrew once they were roughly the same age and must have had more incommon than charles and diana (maybe they might have been better to get married -oh one wonders would things have turned out differently)

we know that diana got on well with sarah chatto and david linley as well as lady helen - i think i saw a picture of her hugging prince andrew once they were roughly the same age and must have had more incommon than charles and diana (maybe they might have been better to get married -oh one wonders would things have turned out differently)

yes I wondered about that too although I remember when Andrew was still single, one of his friends mentioned that he admired his sister in law the Princess of Wales but that he preferred women who were more earthy. If he liked earthiness, I think he got more than he bargained for with Sarah. :rolleyes: :lol:

bravo to Anne

Princess Anne did a hell of a lot too you know. If you're trying to say that Diana did more for charity, I'd suggest to you that Anne may not have spread herself around like Diana did but unlike Diana she was dedicated to every single patronage she took and indeed, made it clear she'd only take them if there was a real role for her, not just because there might be glory in it if she let her name appear on the letter heads.

I think the Princess Royal doesn't get enough credit for all the work she has done. She certainly comes off as more sincere and loyal to her causes and not just using them as a photo op. I've known about the Save the Children work since the 70s and I'm sure there are more, PA doesn't get much press here as she's not tabloid fodder. Some of the women's magazines do better, accurate profiles of royals but not often enough for me. Thank you, TRF for being around to keep me up to date!

As for Diana and Margaret, I'm not sure they would have gotten along later. Sure, they were both rebels for their time but Margaret still knew where the line was drawn and didn't cross it. Glamorous party girl yes, Royal through and through definitely but airing dirty linen? never!

Last edited:
I wonder if Diana and the Duchess of Kent ever fell out of sympathy? Although Kate and Diana were similar in some ways, I think that Kate would have had a hard time understanding Diana's affairs and interest in the New Age.

Totally. "Ouch!" for him :neutral:. As far as I know Diana (not that far then), I believe she would have regreted what she said if he had been in that mercedes in Paris. Many people who knew her could tell she really loved him. She did this interview unconscious of what she was actually doing; IMO, a big mistake.

Actually....she did regret that interview. Rosa Monkton had stated she did. She felt like she should have not have done that because of her sons, but at the time she was angry over the Dimbleton interview Charles did. She was very upset over his revelations. Also supposedly by multiple sources, including Burrell (if it was only him....I would not have believed it), she and Charles were on friendly terms in her last months. He would actually stop by her apartments to talk. They were not friends mind you, but they had declared a truce in their war. :angel:

I for one was glad to hear that.

It's clear that they didn't like each other really but I don't think Diana personaly attacked Anne. Although I remember that Anne said :"It's not my cup of tea to hold every child". That was totally directed to Diana.

I personally have A LOT of respect for both women. While I don't think Diana ever attacked her personally, Anne took a lot of things personally. It was insulting to Anne that she felt as though her work was ignored while Diana because she was the "fairytale" picture perfect princess had the cameras and everyone exulting her virtues. It also did not help that Princess Anne expected she was going to be named a godparent and she was not. She, as I remember reading, skipped one of the christenings because of that.

Anne has done very well for the "firm" in the sense she has taken her charity work very seriously. She is very involved. She also must be commended for her raising of her children, both turned out pretty good. There have been no real scandals. I also must note that I believe that a lot of the issues that Harry and William had would have been dealt with a lot differently or not occured at all had Diana lived. She was a wonderful mother and her son clearly adore her.

In Diana's case, I believe it was an evolution on her charities. At first, she did it because it was the job of a royal and she was expected to do it. I think after awhile she found it to be rather therapeutic and took enjoyment in it. I think that is why at first she took on things she was more a letterhead for. Later on you notice her appearances at those started to drop off until she left completely when she lost her HRH title.

did princess anne go to any of the diana tributes during the anniversary of her death. i read that the two were so different they really didn't get along.anne being upset that diana didn't allow her to be godmother to either of her sons.what has been anne's reaction to diana's death and the aftermath?i saw princess anne standing with the rest of the royal family at diana's funeral when her casket went by, anne looked shocked at the tragedy.

My understanding is she did attend the 10 year memorial at the church Her daughter, her son, and her ex husband did as well. Princess Anne did keep people guessing though because it was NEVER listed on her official engagement list.

It has been said well personally she didn't care for Diana. She respected her as a mother and out of respect for her nephews she went.

It also did not help that Princess Anne expected she was going to be named a godparent and she was not. She, as I remember reading, skipped one of the christenings because of that.
Do you have any links to back this up?
I also must note that I believe that a lot of the issues that Harry and William had would have been dealt with a lot differently or not occured at all had Diana lived. She was a wonderful mother and her son clearly adore her.
You don't think that Diana's assertion that William and Harry should be 'normal' has led to many of their troubles? It certainly couldn't have helped hearing many of the things she said about their father, using them as confidents and the variety of boyfriends. How awful for the boys, as they were then, to have their parents dirty linen aired so publicly! :eek:

DYou don't think that Diana's assertion that William and Harry should be 'normal' has led to many of their troubles?

Well, I think William should have gone to Gordonstoun like Anne's children. Instead of raising him "normal", Diana managed to get her sons raised the traditional aristocratic way of the younger sons, IMHO - those who have a background that allow them to become idle playboys. Just look at the friends they made there! No wonder they constantly fall out of nightclubes because their friends are equally spoiled children with more money than brain and no real purpose in life.

I think Gordonstoun would have given them more direction in life than Eton, more to think of than meeting up with other "Young Etonians" in posh nightclubs. For me William, Harry and beatrice (not sure about Eugenie yet) are "third generation kiddies" - First generation makes the money, second keeps the money, third generation squanders the money...

I remember when Prince William was born, Princess Anne was in the USA. She was striding over a field as only Anne can and a reporter bailed her up and asked what she thought of the news. Her reply??.........."Naff off!!" :ROFLMAO:

It was reported that Princess Anne actually was quite fond of Diana and felt bad for her when things started going awry with Charles. But as time went on and Diana began using the media to secure her position (the Morton book and Richard Kay), Anne became disgusted with her tactics and avoided her.

the answer is not at all! Princess Margaret may have been on the "rebel" side, but she was an ardent pro-monarchist and supported the privileges of the aristocracy. Diana's appeals to common popularity were very disagreeable to Margaret.

I think the more accurate view is Princess Margaret was very sympathetic to Diana's difficulties in the beginning, but became appalled at Diana's increasingly public war against Charles, which damaged The Queen's standing with her people.

The Panorama interview was supposedly the last straw for Margaret and she wrote a tough letter to Diana afterwards calling her "selfish" and "incapable of making even the smallest sacrifice when necessary" and accusing her of "having let everyone down".

Yes PM Auto-bio Said that she felt diana betrayed the royal family with the book and hurt .

My impression of the Panorama interview was that it gave many of us the first hints into the way Diana's mind worked. There was a bit of megalomania there, I think. She seemed to think that she could do things that other people couldn't do, and I found that a bit un-nerving.:ermm:

I think by 1995 Diana, Princess of Wales only had Princess Michael of Kent on her side.

The day of her divorce Princess Michael wrote her a letter. The letter saidsomething like: if only Prince Charles would have loved you you would still be married.:flowers:

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that Princess Michael was that sympathetic. When Princess Michael was selling their country home, she told a "prospective buyer" (who was actually an undercover 'journalist') that Diana had become "strange".:ermm:

I think by 1995 Diana, Princess of Wales only had Princess Michael of Kent on her side.

The day of her divorce Princess Michael wrote her a letter. The letter saidsomething like: if only Prince Charles would have loved you you would still be married.:flowers:

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that Princess Michael was that sympathetic. When Princess Michael was selling their country home, she told a "prospective buyer" (who was actually an undercover 'journalist') that Diana had become "strange".:ermm:

Princess Michael in that same letter told Diana, Princess of Wales that she would not have to bow down to Princess Michael because she lost her HRH title.:)

How condescending of Princess Pushy......

IMO Princess Margaret was a bit like Diana, in the way that when Princess Margaret was younger she was a party princess with no other thing in life but to be a princess she even gave up the love of her life in fear of losing her stations. She would wisk off to tropical islands with partys of friends with rumors of men all over the papaer. Once asked about her behavor she repleied (not a quote) when there are two sisters and one is Queen the other has to be the bad one. not saying she was a bad princess only saying that her hate of Diana seems to ME a bit of a overcast on a shadow of her own life. People who live in glass houses should not cast stones....

Diana's relationship with the Queen

How was the Queen as a mother-in-law?How was their relationship before and after the wedding?Did they have a warm relationship with mutual respect or it was typical and only for their public images?After the divorce i consider they had nothing in common.

Also i would like to know when and who made the introduction between the Queen and Diana.I've heard that a close relative of Diana had strong connections with the Palace.

Back
Top Bottom