The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think they were scared of Diana... because she was clever at media manipulation and they weren't, and she was pretty and charming and had a LOT back then, of public support.
Of curse in the end, they can take the long view, that theyre Royal and always will be.. and they knew that she derived most of her importance from her relationship with them.
Diana too overplayed her hand at times, She was a clever strategist but did NOT think long term.
She had a lot of victories in the short term, but in the end, she let the "war" go on too long, the press and public got a bit fed up and disgusted..and bored.
And she was in the public eye all the time so that HER Faults began to show up, since it wasn't "Perfect Angel Diana V Bad Wicked Charles", but just two ordinary people with faults and good points..
But the more Di put herself out in the public eye of course there was more scope for HER faulty side to be seen

Old 06-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Commoner

Is it true that after Princess Diana's funeral, the Queen Mother flew straight back to Scotland to host a dinner party at Birkhall?

That goes on to show how much she liked Diana...

Old 06-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen Mother did not get along with Diana, Princess of Wales. She probably didn't feel concern for her great-grandsons William and Harry. She, along with her younger daughter Margaret, and son-in-law Philip, was fumed when Diana did that 1995 TV interview.

I wonder how she would have approved Harry and Meghan's relationship since she was a racist?

She was born in 1900, when racial attitudes where much stiff.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
The Queen Mother did not get along with Diana, Princess of Wales. She probably didn't feel concern for her great-grandsons William and Harry. She, along with her younger daughter Margaret, and son-in-law Philip, was fumed when Diana did that 1995 TV interview.

I wonder how she would have approved Harry and Meghan's relationship since she was a racist?

She was born in 1900, when racial attitudes where much stiff.
That was quite hypocritical on her part since her daughter Princess Margaret was one of the most scandalous women in the modern Royal Family.

I find it amazing that even after her divorce Diana stayed at Kensington Palace when the all neighbourhood despised her. Especially Princess Margaret, who was horrified when a statue of Diana for the gardens.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
I find it amazing that even after her divorce Diana stayed at Kensington Palace when the all neighbourhood despised her. Especially Princess Margaret, who was horrified when a statue of Diana for the gardens.
By my knowledge there were no official plans for a statue of Diana in the park of Kensington Palace and what the late Princess Margaret may have thought: any guess is as good as it is: we can not ask her, it is purely hearsay by claim without any backing for verification.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Queen Mother was shocked that she had to go to Diana's funeral. It was said that she always thought Diana would've been going to hers. It was announced in the news that The Queen Mother fell ill after the funeral and The Queen accompanied her back home.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
It doesn't surprise me one little bit. We have to remember too that when Diana was living at KP after her divorce, her sons were also in residence there a lot of the time. No matter what, Diana was and will always be the mother of a future king of the UK.

Even Diana's divorce decree stated that although she would lose her HRH status, she would always still be considered as a member of the royal family. What her neighbors at KP thought of her is something we only know by speculation and hearsay. I'm sure a lot of the family were disappointed that the divorce happened but there really wasn't any open animosity that I know of.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The Queen Mother was shocked that she had to go to Diana's funeral. It was said that she always thought Diana would've been going to hers. It was announced in the news that The Queen Mother fell ill after the funeral and The Queen accompanied her back home.
Shocked but glad, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It doesn't surprise me one little bit. We have to remember too that when Diana was living at KP after her divorce, her sons were also in residence there a lot of the time. No matter what, Diana was and will always be the mother of a future king of the UK.

Even Diana's divorce decree stated that although she would lose her HRH status, she would always still be considered as a member of the royal family. What her neighbors at KP thought of her is something we only know by speculation and hearsay. I'm sure a lot of the family were disappointed that the divorce happened but there really wasn't any open animosity that I know of.
I'm not sure she would still be living there if she was alive nowadays.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Majesty

If there's one thing that the British royal family is known for, its contained in the motto "Keep calm and carry on". Its not unusual that after a funeral of a family member for anyone regardless of if they're a prince or a pauper, that life goes on and back to normal when the funeral is concluded. Diana's funeral happened during the time the BRF was usually in residence at Balmoral so it stands to reason that is where they would return to once the funeral was over with.

We cannot ever begin to even speculate on what someone that is now long dead would "think" about someone in the here and now. It would be like speculating on what Henry VIII would have thought if he had found out that the reason he was prone to sire daughters rested within his own DNA.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Unkind to ascribe that to her. There may have been friction, even dislike, but rarely is anyone 'glad' of a tragic, before-time death. JMO. I think it's important to distinguish between Diana's tragic manner of death, and her words, actions and behaviors that caused so much distress to the BRF. The cessation of all of that would have been a relief, but the manner of the cessation was unlikely to have been greeted with 'gladness'.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Majesty

Twenty one years after her divorce, anything could have changed had the Paris accident never happened. Diana could have moved on with her life, found happiness in a second marriage and had a totally different life. We'll never know.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Unkind to ascribe that to her. There may have been friction, even dislike, but rarely is anyone 'glad' of a tragic, before-time death. JMO. I think it's important to distinguish between Diana's tragic manner of death, and her words, actions and behaviors that caused so much distress to the BRF. The cessation of all of that would have been a relief, but the manner of the cessation was unlikely to have been greeted with 'gladness'.
Well, I have no doubt that she was glad when Diana died and thought her funeral should have taken place in the backyard church at Sandrigham with no members of the RF in attendance.

The Princess, even though divorced, would always be a loose end for the family. Therefore, for a traditionalist like the Queen Mother, her death was for the best.

Regarding the rest, I think it's quite clear the only members of the Royal Family that she got along with were her sons.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

If she had remarried she'd have moved. Otherwise no. THe KP apartment was secure, with a police presence... and even fi some of the other royals didn't like her, they did not have to see her. The RF wanted her to have a secure base, in London and that was the best way of giving her one, letting her keep the apartment she'd had for a long time.
No idea waht's this thing about Margaret since there were no plans for a statue of Diana, during Marg's lifetime.

Quote:
Regarding the rest, I think it's quite clear the only members of the Royal Family that she got along with were her sons.
very possibly. She was friendly with Margaret for a time but that friendship ended. I don't think she was ever close to the queen's other 3 children. Anne was too abrasive and Andrew and Edward were rather young for her and busy with their own lives. but many people don't get on well with their in laws and just put up with them. She was I think friendly with the DUchess of Kent..
Old 06-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Well, I have no doubt that she was glad when Diana died and thought her funeral should have taken place in the backyard church at Sandrigham with no members of the RF in attendance.

The Princess, even though divorced, would always be a loose end for the family. Therefore, for a traditionalist like the Queen Mother, her death was for the best.
There never would have been a "backyard church" funeral for Diana at Sandringham. The original plan would have been a private funeral for her arranged by her family, the Spencers at or around Althorp. Besides, at the time, the royal family was in residence at Balmoral and not Sandringham.

No one ever is "glad" that someone has died unless they have a really black soul. I'm sure that Diana's death did put an end to many of her "loose cannon" ideas that the royal family didn't approve of but never, in a million years would anyone wish her dead.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
No, no one in the family were glad Diana died. The royal family aren't any different than all other families. They have their ups and downs as usual, but no one in the family wanted Diana to pass in a horrible car accident.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

er why on earth would she not feel concern for her great grandsons? By all accounts, she loved them and got on well with them. She didn't like Diana, hardly surprisingly, so it is possible she did go back to Scotland after the funeral if she had a dinner planned. I have no idea. however, unless she was keeping the boys awake with a raucous party, I don't think it was any great thing if she did...

Quote:
No, no one in the family were glad Diana died. The royal family aren't any different than all other families. They have their ups and downs as usual, but no one in the family wanted Diana to pass in a horrible car accident.
certainly not glad. They didn't get on with her, but that's a long way from being glad that a young woman had died suddenly and horribly.

Quote:

realy? The QM has her faults but she would be a very nasty woman if she really thogth lke this.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You know this how?

Or are you projecting your own thoughts and ideas onto the royal family?

I suspect that most of us don't know any of them personally and so we don't know what they thought or felt about anything.

What I do know is that many people - Diana fans in particular - openly state they want Charles to die, sooner rather than later, so that he is never King. If Diana's fans can want a person to do why can't a member of the BRF?

I have no idea but I am sure that there was an element of relief with certain members at her passing as she would no longer be able to tell lies about them, create havoc or be a loose cannon. In addition they now had total control over the boys rather than have her influences - both positive and negative - on them.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You know this how?

Or are you projecting your own thoughts and ideas onto the royal family?

I suspect that most of us don't know any of them personally and so we don't know what they thought or felt about anything.

What I do know is that many people - Diana fans in particular - openly state they want Charles to die, sooner rather than later, so that he is never King. If Diana's fans can want a person to do why can't a member of the BRF?

I have no idea but I am sure that there was an element of relief with certain members at her passing as she would no longer be able to tell lies about them, create havoc or be a loose cannon. In addition they now had total control over the boys rather than have her influences - both positive and negative - on them.
Iluvbertie, yes, the royal family and Diana had their differences and they didn't always get along. That's called family! That's just how the cookie crumbles in every family.

There's no proof that they wanted Diana to die or was satisfied that she was no longer in the picture. If they wanted, wished or was even satisfied that Diana died and was no longer around, then why in Gods name are people still supporting the royal family who's hearts are made by the devil?

I have not seen not one piece of proof they wanted her dead. They had their ups and downs, but I bet all the money in my bank that the royal family were shocked by her dying from a car accident. The Windosrs can be too stiff, starchy and formal. They can act like they have a 10ft pole up their behinds, and God knows The Queen Mother was often the biggest #*%^+ of them all, but I don't think she or any member of the family was happy about Diana's passing.

I do think William has a right to be upset that the adults that surrounded his mother in those days, didn't bother to help her and understand what she was going through at her desperate days.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Majesty

I think that many of us that are avid royal watchers, especially with the British royal family, come to the point where its easy to think one knows about how a certain royal would or would not think, act or believe in certain situations. What we need to remember is that what we're privy to is what has been presented to us through the media, books and interviews that have been made public.

I can pretty much assume what stance a poster like Dman, for example, will have as an opinion of Kate and her RFO from what he has posted previously but never in a million years could I begin to assume what Dman would be thinking should he encounter an opposite point of view unless he made his thoughts public.

Its the same with the Queen Mum. We know from her previous actions and statements what she may have thought about Diana but there's no way we could presume to know what her thoughts were at the time she heard of Diana's tragic death in Paris.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't say that they did want her dead but equally I an unable to say that they didn't.

I notice that you didn't answer the questions I asked?

1. How do you know?

2. Are you projecting your own attitudes onto the BRF?

I would like actual answers to those two specific questions not long-winded statements about your opinions but answers to Question 1 and Question 2.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's family, princess diana, relationships