The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 05-23-2016, 01:01 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Didn't Diana have bad relations with her own family? She cut them off stopped talking to them, felt abandoned by her mother, pushed her step .other down the stairs, wasn't talking to one or all of her siblings at the time of her death? Diana had bad relationships with a lot of people; the RF not wanting to associate with her isn't entirely their fault. Diana seems to need 100% of her relations whether friend family or lover, that is something most people cannot give to another.
__________________

__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
Yes, you're right. She was capable of a great deal of love, but she required a lot in return. She was very good with "the people" and loved by them because she didn't have in-depth relationships with them. Even those she met with whom she had correspondence didn't live with her day-to-day. I think that "the public" brought out the best in her and fulfilled something inside her.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, you're right. She was capable of a great deal of love, but she required a lot in return. She was very good with "the people" and loved by them because she didn't have in-depth relationships with them. Even those she met with whom she had correspondence didn't live with her day-to-day. I think that "the public" brought out the best in her and fulfilled something inside her.
Perhaps that is true, that she was a bit of a "street angel and a house devil", but it doesn't make her a bad person. I think she had problems, emotional ones that made her needy with her own close friends, but her kinder better side showed up in her dealings with the public. People DID recieve help and kindness from her, and that was real.. and they were grateful. Perhaps she was nicer with them because she COULD be helpful to them and not be the one who was unhappy and in need of help..
friends have said that she would sometimes fall out wtih tehm and cut them off, but then if they were in need of help she'd come back and be very kind and helfpul... ROsa Monkton said this about I think when she lost a baby.. that Diana who had had a row with her, called up and came around to help and was wonderful...
Perhps she felt very useless and unworthy and it was only when she was able to do something for people that she felt worthwhile..
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
Quite possibly. I know a fair number of people who are "givers". If they aren't actively helping, they get depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Perhps she felt very useless and unworthy and it was only when she was able to do something for people that she felt worthwhile..
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 05-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
Her brother did say that she had deep feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness so that would fit in wit her having a low opinon of herself so perhaps she only felt good when she was able to do something to help people, whether it was a friend with a child with problems, or an ordinary women with a sick child.. and the part of her that wanted to help people was very real
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 05-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,925
Further posts that have nothing to do wth Diana's relationship wth the Queena nd other members of the Royal Family will be deleted without notice. Please stay on topic.
__________________
JACK
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
Perhaps she was just good with people who only required a little bit from her. A hug, a touch, a photo op; but from those who needed a regular relationship that required more time and energy and exchanges she just couldn't do it. We know Diana brought Hewitt things but what else did she do for him, did she listen to his fears about Desert Storm etc.?
As for her relationship with the RF, about Margaret; has anyone heard that when she heard that Diana was dead and she had to return from vacation that she responded "even dead she's causing problems"? I don't know where I heard that from.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 05-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,188
Diana did have relationships, close friendships with people that lasted for years, her ex flat mates for instance. Diana's relationship with several members of the Royal family was changed and inevitably clouded by the breakup of her marriage to their son, brother, nephew, cousin, and that also coloured their memories of her. Blood will out, and most families will close ranks against an outsider if one of their own is unhappy. Just because they're Royal doesn't mean the BRF was somehow different.
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
I think you can't deny though that there were other friendships of hers that didn't last long.. or rather that she fell out with many of her "own friends". But I wont say more about that here because that's not the subject.
I think that (while a lot of what you say is true) Im not sure she was very close to younger royals in her early married life. I think she did befriend them, but i get the feeling she was always rather lonely among them because she didn't really fit in that well. I think she did try, and got on OK with them but one of her staff said that she siad wistfully that Fergie had more fun friends than she had, and I think one reason for her trying to get Sarah F into the family was to have a chum of her own age, who was not a born royal...
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,004
A quote like that was also attributed to the Queen Mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
As for her relationship with the RF, about Margaret; has anyone heard that when she heard that Diana was dead and she had to return from vacation that she responded "even dead she's causing problems"? I don't know where I heard that from.
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,822
Whoever said that was a dolt. Nobody lined up when Margaret died. She was not Diana, nor was she anyone most cared about, except the immediate family.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 05-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
But what has that to say to anything. I think that Margaret DID complain about the smell of rotting flowers around KP, which was nasty of her, but it is an indication of how fed up she and I think other royals were, at the time...that they didn't feel any great grief about Diana.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 06-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryGirl View Post
I can certainly agree with the last statement. Each and every day I see that the masses must be appeased, with little regard for logic or any other sense.
I dont see that at all. In the end, the "masses" pay for the royal lifestyle, and they are the ones who say whether the RF stays in its position or not. Diana was a public figure and loved by many, so I think that the public had a right to ask for some sign that the RF who had fallen out with her, had SOME respect for her in death and that they, the public were allowed to join in her final rites.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 06-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Perhaps she was just good with people who only required a little bit from her. A hug, a touch, a photo op; but from those who needed a regular relationship that required more time and energy and exchanges she just couldn't do it. that from.
I dont think that that is true at all. I think that Diana worked hard at her relationships, in fact I think that she put so much into them that she WOULD expect a lot back, and the RF are probably less inclined to be "intense" than she was. I believe she bought expensive thoughtful gifts for them and of course they dont do expensive gifts at christmas. She said that she longed to be close to her Mother in law and hug her and the queen does not "do" that sort of close lovey relationship...
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 07-29-2016, 11:21 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 2,888
Did Princess Diana believe the entire Royal Family was against her?
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 07-29-2016, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,188
At the beginning of her engagement? No, they were welcoming to her though of course some were closer temperamentally than others. For instance, I don't think Diana and Anne ever had too much in common!

At the beginning of her marriage I think Diana felt misunderstood because she didn't fit into the royals very structured life at places like Balmoral, (where she spent the latter part of her honeymoon) missed her friends, felt lonely, but I don't believe that she felt that many of them were 'against her' at that stage.

Of all the BRF, IMO Diana got on with Princess Margaret the best, was cordial with Andrew and quite fond of Edward. Her relationship with her neighbour at KP Princess Michael was fraught at best, and Diana was in awe of her mother in law. When you're in awe of someone I don't believe you are ever at ease. The Queen is also very shy.

After several years, as the marriage crumbled so did the various relationships between Diana and members of the BRF. Blood matters in the end, and I think the BRF very much close ranks when one of their own is attacked.

Therefore during the War of the Waleses, when it was becoming clear what had happened with Morton and the rest, Diana lost her support base. At the end of her marriage Diana did feel angry, resentful and bitter about various things, and yes I do think she probably felt the entire BRF was ranged against her at that stage.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 07-30-2016, 12:39 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
At the beginning of her engagement? No, they were welcoming to her though of course some were closer temperamentally than others. For instance, I don't think Diana and Anne ever had too much in common!

At the beginning of her marriage I think Diana felt misunderstood because she didn't fit into the royals very structured life at places like Balmoral, (where she spent the latter part of her honeymoon) missed her friends, felt lonely, but I don't believe that she felt that many of them were 'against her' at that stage.

Of all the BRF, IMO Diana got on with Princess Margaret the best, was cordial with Andrew and quite fond of Edward. Her relationship with her neighbour at KP Princess Michael was fraught at best, and Diana was in awe of her mother in law. When you're in awe of someone I don't believe you are ever at ease. The Queen is also very shy.

After several years, as the marriage crumbled so did the various relationships between Diana and members of the BRF. Blood matters in the end, and I think the BRF very much close ranks when one of their own is attacked.

Therefore during the War of the Waleses, when it was becoming clear what had happened with Morton and the rest, Diana lost her support base. At the end of her marriage Diana did feel angry, resentful and bitter about various things, and yes I do think she probably felt the entire BRF was ranged against her at that stage.
Diana really didn't have much of a support base when she was a member of the royal family. Her and The Queen got along. Her relationship with Philip was good and she was close to the Kent's. Andrew and Edward were good friends of hers, but she didn't have much emotional support though. She lacked support from her own blood family as well.

Princess Michael of Kent has been very frank about Diana's past situation.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,690
Actually, the HM and Prince Philip were still quite fond of Diana and supported her against Charles during the Troubles. It was the Panorama interview that upset them and they then joined the rest of the Royals in circling the wagons. Diana had a good relationship with Andrew and Edward, had a fairly good relationships with Anne and Margaret at first, then they waned. Concerning Princess Michael, Diana wasn't the only Royal to have a dicey relationship with HRH. She just joined the line with the rest of the Royal Family.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,124
I thought that Prss Michael was quite kind to her when the marriage broke up and said that she should not curtsty to her...
I think that Phil and the queen were supportive of her, fro longer than the rest of the RF but it was because they wanted to try and keep the marriage going rather than because they had much in common with her... or much affection for her..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
At
Therefore during the War of the Waleses, when it was becoming clear what had happened with Morton and the rest, Diana lost her support base. At the end of her marriage Diana did feel angry, resentful and bitter about various things, and yes I do think she probably felt the entire BRF was ranged against her at that stage.
yes I think by the War time, she was feeling angry and hostile to the RF as a whole and felt that they all disliked her, and I think by then it was true. In Morton's second book he said that Di had a present for Lady Sarah Chatto's first baby and because by then relations were so cool with Margaret, her neighbour at KP, she had to give it to one of the staff to pass on...
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, United States
Posts: 1,690
You're probably right about Princess Michael after the marriage break up. I hadn't ever read anything about her relationship with Diana after the divorce. I remember reading about the baby present and Princess Margaret.
Not to stray off topic, but I have the feeling that Princess Margaret was probably the most difficult of relationships Diana had especially during the years of her marriage problems. She could be more "royal" than even the Queen or Queen Mother and was quite prickly with people than even Diana. To me, her behavior towards Diana perhaps was a reflection of her own marriage difficulties combined with her own health and personal problems.
Sometimes we deflect our worst experiences on another person going through the same things and not in a positive way and become the worst to judge. Margaret didn't follow the Queen's lead and bow her head as Diana's coffin wheeled past, it was one of Margaret at her worst.
I apologize for going off topic.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's family, princess diana, relationships


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family kil Royal Family of Spain 471 09-17-2016 08:21 AM
Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family Ava Elizabeth British Royals 254 07-21-2016 02:35 AM
Relationships Between Members of the Swedish Royal Family Grandduchess24 Royal House of Sweden 56 11-02-2015 02:32 PM
Relationships between the Members of the Danish Royal Family jellybeans Royal House of Denmark 303 01-04-2014 07:11 AM
Relationships between members of the Norwegian royal family. Dennism Royal House of Norway 78 11-22-2012 08:04 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 belgian state visit to japan best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince alexander coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll fashion suggestions gothia cup grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikha moza state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises