Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Diana have plenty of statues and other kind of stuff in the world that illustrate her work so it's no big deal if she's not in front kensington palace IMO ;). Perhaps Margaret thought Diana betrayed them by giving the Panorama interview, although she shouldn't have taken it so personnaly. Margaret was never stated in that interview, okay it was THE royal family but she was not among the ones concerned. In fact, at the end of her life Diana didn't have so many friends in the royal family around her which is understandable in a way. I'm really sadden that Fergie and Diana weren't in a good relationship when she died. They seemed to support each other when something was going wrong, and we were used to see them having fun at polo.
Maybe today they would have been friends again ...

Last edited:
The story goes that Princess Margaret felt that Di had insulted and betrayed the Queen and to Margaret, that was unforgiveable. She didn't care about the marriage woes, she just felt Di had broken the mystique of Royalty and that was something Margaret really didn't like. Or so I understand. God I miss Princess Margaret.

So do I. I also miss Diana. Okay, she's made some mistakes but at least she had the honesty of saying what she thought about the royal family. Some people would have said all the good they felt about them but backstabbing everyone after.

That's the problem though. You don't criticise the RF, especially if you've been one of them. It's just wrong.

Alright, but wouldn't that be wrong to just shut up and tell all the bad you think about them to everybody around except the ones concerned ? At least after she explained herself, it was clear for everyone.

The rule is - you never crap on your own doorstep. And she did. And that's why things played out as they did and why her relationship with the RF broke down.

I'm not critizising that at all. I mean, I would have done the same thing as the RF. Perhaps we agree that the Panorama Interview might be the worst mistake she's ever done ?

Definately. Had it not been for that I think she would have had a leg to stand on with people who disliked her. Me for starters. I'm very much like Princess Maggie in the respect that for me, that interview was the final straw. It just came across as the ultimate insult to the Queen and I felt that was unforgiveable.

It doesn't show the good side of Diana indeed. Although I don't think she was a threatful person and I still have some respect for her and for her work. I still think about what made her go to that point, the vengeance of course but I've always had the conviction there was more than that ...

Well certainly the Queen of Hearts thing was well-rehearsed and quite insulting. Thats what stands out for me.

The rule is - you never crap on your own doorstep.
That is a great motto I'am gonna follow that.
I thought her statement about being Queen of Hearts was genuine but when she said "There were three of us in this marriage so it got a bit crowded" and when she said that Charles wasn't fit to become king I thought that was very calculating and it was a direct attack on Charles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well certainly the Queen of Hearts thing was well-rehearsed and quite insulting. Thats what stands out for me.

Yes, but it's the people who made her Queen of Hearts. She said "I would like to be" not "I want to be" . If they had found that insulting she would be named otherwise today, believe me ;).

I thought her statement about being Queen of Hearts was genuine but when she said "There were three of us in this marriage so it got a bit crowded" and when she said that Charles wasn't fit to become king I thought that was very calculating and it was a direct attack on Charles.

Totally. "Ouch!" for him :neutral:. As far as I know Diana (not that far then), I believe she would have regreted what she said if he had been in that mercedes in Paris. Many people who knew her could tell she really loved him. She did this interview unconscious of what she was actually doing; IMO, a big mistake.

What was Diana's relationship like with her nephews and nieces, Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie (she never met Lady Louise)? I heard that at Beatrice's 18th birthday party she had a video played about her life and there was a moving tribute to the late Princess of Wales.

That was so nice of Beactrice its been said that Diana had a very good relationships with her nieces and nephews.

Princess Anne was at the funeral she bowed and the rest of the family bowed their heads as Diana's coffin was brought to the catherdral.

I think that Diana loved Beatrice and Eugenie, especially since she never had daughters of her own. But after the estrangement from Sarah she rarely saw them. Unfortunately, Diana died before reconciling with Sarah.

But it's nice to know that Beatrice had good memories of her.

The story goes that Princess Margaret felt that Di had insulted and betrayed the Queen and to Margaret, that was unforgiveable. She didn't care about the marriage woes, she just felt Di had broken the mystique of Royalty and that was something Margaret really didn't like. Or so I understand. God I miss Princess Margaret.

Yes, Beatrixfan. Royalty is a msytique, and whithout it, Monarchy is dead. Is for that, I'm careful to worship some of its member who, maybe whithout wanting it, are broking this mystique, and wants desperately to show off that "we are people as you or the next door neighbor"...If they are...Why are they in a privileged position? Acting like commoners -and I do not despise commoners..since I'm one of them! :D:lol: - could be dangerous. If they are "like commoners" why should do live differently as commoners and have so much money and have some powers that commoners doesn't have? Hmmm....
I can certainly understand Princess Margaret feelings. She was VERY Royal. She had a mystique..and, yes...Oh, God! I miss her as well. :sad::cry:

Vanesa.

A true royal you say I'll believe that when I see it. I have more respect for Camilla than Princess Michael but lets not delve into that subject.
Did Princess Diana get along well with the Glousters? There was a picture of her with Lady Devina holding hands at windsor castle.

I believe what Beatrixfan means by this is that Princess Michael has quite a bit of royal blood. She is descended not only from Catherine De Medici, but also Diane de Poitiers, mistress to Henri II of France, to name but a few. There is quite a bit of Royal blood running through her veins.

I also liked Princess Margaret she was a rebel back in her day. I remember that she dated a younger man and I like that. They say that if a woman dates a younger man she looks young for age look at Tina Turner.

Its sad before Princess Diana died she was planning to reconcile with Fergie.

Alright, but wouldn't that be wrong to just shut up and tell all the bad you think about them to everybody around except the ones concerned ? At least after she explained herself, it was clear for everyone.

Well, personally I just think that it is wrong for anyone to air their dirty laundry in public. Private matters should remain just that. So in a way both Diana and Charles were in the wrong for using the media to try and sort/bash things out. It did no one any good what so ever.

Yes I know Empress she was descended Catherine De Medici she even wrote a fictional book about it. But that doesen't give her the right to say that she has more bluer blood than her majesty and the Windsors. Diana,Sophie, and Camilla are all descended from King Charles II but they didn't constantly remind people of it.

One thing to remember about Princess Margaret was that she was closest her sister the Queen. The Queen and the Princess Margaret had grown up together as two young girls during the Abdication Crisis, Depression and traumas of World War II. The girlhood experiences together formed a bond between the sisters that was well nigh unbreakable and was perhaps the cause of the Queen overlooking some of Margaret's more provocative actions.

There was a great loyalty between the Queen and Princess Margaret that made them feel very protective when each other was threatened.

The Queen has always understood that some people who aren't as high as her in the hierarchy could be different and do things she wouldn't dare to do. She has forgiven Margaret for being sometimes too provocative and she has been really patient with Diana and Fergie. Some people seem to forget that sometimes and reproach her to not live in our world.

Tina Brown suggests that the relationship between Princess Michael and Diana was less than cordial. I think she wrote that Diana referred to the Kent princess as "the Fuhrer" (page 174 - paperback).

She doesn't look very happy on that one with Price Philip

Well a few years after the wedding, their relationship wasn't very good. Diana went against alot of protocole 'rules', which didn't please the Queen but most of all Prince Philip. He's a very tough man, go-by-the-book man. All the contrary of Diana. I believe that by their differences they couldn't get along very well... :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom