The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

[B]Diana, Princess Of Wales and The Honourable Angus Ogilvy
Diana, Princess Of Wales, Kissing The Honourable Angus Ogilvy As They Arrive For Their Visit To The Imperial Cancer Research Fund At Lincoln Inn Fields.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...ljkwo1_400.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8...ljkwo2_400.jpg

Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM

No. HRH Princess Margaret disliked her and told many stories against her. Princess Margaret was in a unique position to witness the comings and goings of the Princess of Wales and her many male friends.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclarmonde View Post
No. HRH Princess Margaret disliked her and told many stories against her. Princess Margaret was in a unique position to witness the comings and goings of the Princess of Wales and her many male friends.
That state of affairs between Princess Margaret and Diana did not start until the Panorama interview. On the tapes for "Diana, Her True Story", Diana can be heard telling Colthurst (for Morton) that, "I just adore Margo; she's been wonderful to me since day one". And PM also told Charles after the 1992 legal separation that she was going to continue being friends with Diana despite the state of affairs between the PoW and his wife.

The Panorama interview hugely enraged PM mainly for the questioning of Charles' fitness to be king, as well as the implied criticism of the Queen, to whom PM was always loyal, even when the relationship between the sisters was at its various low points.

I've always been curious as to why PM chose to burn most of the correspondence between Diana and the Queen Mother. That is a major loss to history and it must have been intense reading for Margaret to go to those lengths to destroy it.

Your description is 100% correct of their post-Panorama relationship. It's ironic, as it was Margaret herself who showed Diana how to avoid the CC cameras by using her courtyard for guests she wanted to keep private and invited her to use it whenever Diana wished. (My guess is she was sympathetic because of her own experience pre-divorce with Lord Snowdon.) Margaret didn't even soften at Diana's death and was heard complaining about the "rotting smell" of the field of flowers left in front of KP and she did not follow the Queen's lead and bow to Diana's coffin. She encouraged HM to remain at Balmoral that week, refuse to lower the flag, etc - and was even heard complaining about having to return from her vacation in Italy upon news of Diana's death. In her book, Diana was no longer royal and her death should not have interfered with her time in the sunshine!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
I've always been curious as to why PM chose to burn most of the correspondence between Diana and the Queen Mother. That is a major loss to history and it must have been intense reading for Margaret to go to those lengths to destroy it.
I've heard this several times but does anyone have a reputable souce to back it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
. . . . . . Margaret didn't even soften at Diana's death and was heard complaining about the "rotting smell" of the field of flowers left in front of KP and she did not follow the Queen's lead and bow to Diana's coffin. She encouraged HM to remain at Balmoral that week, refuse to lower the flag, etc - and was even heard complaining about having to return from her vacation in Italy upon news of Diana's death. In her book, Diana was no longer royal and her death should not have interfered with her time in the sunshine!
Same again. Curious to know the souce and veracity of these statements as, if they are true, they speak to a whole different reasone for the Queen staying at Balmoral than we were led to believe.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I've heard this several times but does anyone have a reputable souce to back it up?
Yes, it is mentioned in the official biography of the Queen Mother, by William Shawcross.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Same again. Curious to know the souce and veracity of these statements as, if they are true, they speak to a whole different reasone for the Queen staying at Balmoral than we were led to believe.
As Isabella wrote, Shawcross is indeed my source for your first question. As to the second, I attended a lecture by Paul Burrell where he spoke of the work of the committee for the official memorial for Diana and PM's reactions came up both during the lecture and in the questioning period afterwards. I have also read about it elsewhere, around the time of Diana's death and into 1998, but I don't remember which books or biographies. I will look for one of the written sources and post it on your profile page when I find it.

I don't know if PM had very much influence on the Queen's actions that terrible week at Balmoral; I'm sorry if my post seemed to imply as such. I was just trying to relate PM's feelings for Diana and how they stayed hardened even after her death as demonstrated by her words and actions. English is not my first language, so I was probably confusing.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Courtier

I find it hard to believe that Princess Margaret hated her so much that she would have reacted that coldly to her death.

I don't think Paul Burrell is a reliable source, especially regarding the reaction of the royal family to Diana's death. He certainly wasn't at Balmoral during that week. Although he may have retained some friends among the staff, I can't believe he was trusted by those who would have been in the best position to know what was going on.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Margaret did encourage her sister to stay at Balmoral and now lower the flag I believe it had more to do with precedent and duty rather than a personal dislike of Diana. I believe many senior royals, her husband and mother, were also advising the same thing not for personal reasons but practical ones.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

As much as I liked 'Margot' for her beauty and stateliness, I would not have put it passed her to be so unaffected by the death of Diana. Margaret was known to have a razor tongue at the best of times and largely considered to be more royal, 'aka' pretentious', than the Queen in manner. From what I can gather, she could be extremely cold when she wanted to be and was known to be quite the unforgiving individual.

And as much as I am no fan of the man, I don't think anyone here is in a position to discredit Paul Burrell just because they don't want to believe what he's had to say or because they don't like him. Fact of the matter is, Paul was the eyes and ears for many years and had his finger on the 'pulse'. To what degree, I can not say, but to discredit him entirely would seem particularly irrational.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't have a hard time believing Margaret didn't get the fuss about Diana being dead. By 1997, Diana seems to have burned any bridges she had with her, and I really can picture her reaction to the news of her death as not caring.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never particularly cared for Margret. Seemed so off putting to me. Anyway I wouldn't have been surprised if she really reacted that way.
She never really striked me as being happy in her own personal life. Really sad.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I never particularly cared for Margret. Seemed so off putting to me. Anyway I wouldn't have been surprised if she really reacted that way.
She never really striked me as being happy in her own personal life. Really sad.
I agree with you, Sirhon. I too, think PM was very unhappy in her personal life; I think it's a shame she didn't marry Peter Townsend, and the situations with Townsend and then her own marriage with Snowdon are why, IMHO, she had so much sympathy for Diana prior to the Panorama interview.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

Some photos of Diana and the Kents
The Royal Kents
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Majesty

Royal biographer mourns the destroyed Diana letters:
Royal biographer mourns the destroyed Diana letters* - Princess Diana Remembered

I just find that rather sad.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Courtier

Let it be..

Otherwise it would have led to a whole new drama again, and tabloids having a field day with all their half-baked theories..
The purpose of past is to learn from it. And BRF, and in turn all other RFs, learnt a lot of things, and adapted themselves, from this entire saga. So its just better to move on with her pleasant memory, than revisit it again and again, just for something juicy..
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Majesty

I had just posted that article because I had never heard that story before, not to stir up anything.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Oh Dman..it wasnt bout u..I was just talkin bout tabloids..Imagine what big deal they make if the letters were found..They dont even care Diana's sons will be the ones worst affected by all this..
Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Majesty

Oh okay. Well that's an interesting way of looking at it too. Although I'm sure not all their correspondents were harsh but loving and sincere.

So much of Diana's relationship with the royal family have been the fodder for the tabloids and some stuff were just made up and tarnished. I think it would've been great to at least have some sort of insight of the real relationship between Diana and the royals. There are some things out there but I think destroying her latters was a careless act.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Courtier

Ha ha..

Whom do you consider a "responsible"/"careful" person..not to perform such "careless" acts? Princess Margaret and Frances Shand Kydd..can you get better irresponsible/careless/impulsive persons in that circle? Sorry..no offence for those two..
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Majesty

It's a shame though.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's family, princess diana, relationships