Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard nothing since then.

Nor has [almost anyone], I suspect. Tourists may stumble across it whilst ambling in the park, and local mums may take their kids to paddle in it on hot days, but as a Londoner I know of NO-ONE who has made an effort to visit it, and have never heard it mentioned in passing, let alone seen it advertised or 'promoted' in any way at all.

I'd almost forgotten that fountain existed. Perhaps it was overlooked because of all the hoopla over the tacky, over the top memorial display Mr. Al-Fayed set up in Harrod's in memory of Dodi and Diana. That is one eyesore I am so glad is gone.

Other than a small percentage of people that still arduously cling to everything Diana, the majority of the public has moved on as royal watchers watching living, breathing royals.

I haven't been to the Diana Memorial Fountain myself, but my understanding is that the original problems with the design have been fixed and it's all working properly, which is probably why we don't hear about it so much anymore.

What is it? :ermm: Is there a picture we can see? Why controversial?

I, too, was raised with this sensibility when among a small, modest group. One would remove one's glove as it's considered rude to take someone's hand gloved. :flowers: I was just thinking of one person glad-handing a large crowd. I see no virtue in doing so un-gloved.

There is also this: if someone (who has to do all the glad-handing) has a sensitivity, or a 'deformity' (perhaps a wart?) I could see wanting to use a glove as a courtesy. In any case, gloved or un-gloved, I never seek to shake a 'celebrity's' hand in a public place, unless they make the first move to do so. I've been taught it's an intrusion otherwise.

BTW I don't see much massive handshaking by royals (or celebrities). I'm trying to think when such happens. Is it a British thing? Do other royals do it?

I think the "virtue" that some interpret from shaking an ungloved hand is simply the actual physical contact of having skin-to-skin contact between a royal and a normal person. It's sort of symbolically removing a barrier, in a way.

As for handshaking, it's something that depends on the context of the situation, I think. I've certainly been in many situations with VIPs (royals, politicians, celebrities, etc.) where a lot of hands are shaken. It tends to happen in larger crowds or rope lines, etc., but if a VIP is walking past a group of people eager to see them, lots of hands reach out to be shaken, or even just touched. Otherwise it could just seem a bit like the VIP in question was walking by and inspecting troops or something. But in smaller groups, of course, things would be different. It depends on the occasion.

Diana was and is a part of the British Monarchy through her children and grandchildren. That will never change.

Diana was part of the British monarchy and might be remembered if her descendants ascend.

All it takes is two accidents then Princess Beatrice will be in the same position as the Queen was in 1935.

Would anyone remember Diana if Beatrice becomes Queen?

Diana was part of the British monarchy and might be remembered if her descendants ascend.

All it takes is two accidents then Princess Beatrice will be in the same position as the Queen was in 1935.

Wouldn't that be five accidents?

What!!! Takes more than two accident

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, Prince Harry, The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice. Six accidents? I suppose it depends on whether we're thinking of before or after the abdication, because Princess Elizabeth was heiress presumptive once her father became king.

Wouldn't that be five accidents?

The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, Prince Harry, The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice. Six accidents? I suppose it depends on whether we're thinking of before or after the abdication, because Princess Elizabeth was heiress presumptive once her father became king.

As I see it, for Beatrice to be in the same position as Elizabeth was in 1935, Charles would have to be king, with the line then being Harry, Andrew, Beatrice. So there'd have had to be one accident to eliminate Elizabeth and another to eliminate William/George/Charlotte. Possible. Though there's a lot more chance of Harry remaining in the line and marrying and producing children that there ever was for David to do so, especially as things stood in 1935, so Beatrice's position would be far weaker than Elizabeth's.

Last edited:

Of course. She would be the mother and grandmother of 4 heirs who died a tragic death like her.
(Lmao the reaching here.)

Why stop at Beatrice? Why not the whole Hanoverian line like in 'King Ralph'? ;-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course. She would be the mother and grandmother of 4 heirs who died a tragic death like her.
(Lmao the reaching here.)

Now there's a lot of fodder for years of Spencer Family Conspiracies to feed on eh?

But seriously folks... :whistling:

My bad for thinking one nice comment about Diana won't be met with wild hypothetical situations. I will leave you alone here in your world lol

A little bit of silliness and out of the box hypothetical thinking does a body good sometimes. I've enjoyed it.

My bad for thinking one nice comment about Diana won't be met with wild hypothetical situations. I will leave you alone here in your world lol

Sometimes this can seem like a strange little world, but don't be discouraged. :flowers:

Over the years a few of us here, myself included, have made a comment along the same lines as yours to the effect that by reason of contributing her DNA, she has made a contribution to the British monarchy that will endure as long as her line continues. It's a matter of fact, not opinion.

Okay, let's step away from hypothetical accidents and deaths thank you. Further posts on the matter will be removed.

Yes, I agree. Also, I think that line will continue for quite awhile yet.

Over the years a few of us here, myself included, have made a comment along the same lines as yours to the effect that by reason of contributing her DNA, she has made a contribution to the British monarchy that will endure as long as her line continues. It's a matter of fact, not opinion.[/QUOTE]

It was very big news in most Western Countries when Diana touched/hugged and worked with those people who had AIDS. I remember it being talked about on the news and in magazines of the day here in the U.S.

Just because you somehow were cut off from the rest of events doesn't mean it didn't happen and people didn't know about it. I live in small town USA and heard about it.

LaRae
I remember, but it was no big thing. Just a 2 minute blip on TV of foreign news here on the East Coast of NY, NJ n PA where at the time I lived and got 100% of my nightly news. There was a small article in People Magazine but no one I knew even talked about it. Aids were talked about on proper health channels by people that were in the medical field doing the "down and dirty" work to put a stop to this awful disease. Elizabeth Taylor [after death of Rock Hudson] was able to run events making millions for research by arm twisting her millionaire friends for yearly contributions. But here in America, Diana was not the big draw.

I do believe that Elizabeth had a bigger contributions To making AIDS and HIV less taboo and something that needed to he addressed. I believe she also touched people who had it though I'm not too sure about that. WHen I hear and read things about the 80s and HIV and celebrities it's usually Elizabeth Taylor who is mentioned, I don't hear much about Diana.
She definitely made a difference with humanizing the disease but I think the real crusader was Elizabeth.

I remember, but it was no big thing. Just a 2 minute blip on TV of foreign news here on the East Coast of NY, NJ n PA where at the time I lived and got 100% of my nightly news. There was a small article in People Magazine but no one I knew even talked about it. Aids were talked about on proper health channels by people that were in the medical field doing the "down and dirty" work to put a stop to this awful disease. Elizabeth Taylor [after death of Rock Hudson] was able to run events making millions for research by arm twisting her millionaire friends for yearly contributions. But here in America, Diana was not the big draw.

Well it was big in Australia as I said before we had children not being in school because they had aids and parents were worried that their child could "catch it'. I remember the photo and resulting news. I've heard the the US doesn't really follow news if it doesn't come from US. That's why you probably only heard about Liz Taylor. Lots of people the world over did work for aids that's for sure. But Diana and the patient put it and the touch on the front page.

Her legacy that lives on lies with sons and that's where we can actually see Diana's influence on them as they step into the roles she's raised them to take on and how they raise their children by the example that she set for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her legacy that lives on lies with sons and that's where we can actually see Diana's influence on them as they step into the roles she's raised them to take on and how they raise their children by the example that she set for them.

That's beautifully said :flowers:

I do think if we look closely, we can find quite a few examples where William and Harry have taken on causes that were of special interest to their mother. William with Centrepointe and Royal Marsden, Harry with HALO while he was in the US not long ago and his work with Sentebale for the HIV infected children in Lesotho and probably a few more I'm forgetting at the moment. Both Will and Harry have also continued on in interests important to their father too such as with their conservation work. Both parents have done an exceptional job with their children.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 6h6 hours ago
Today would have been the 54th birthday of Diana, Princess of Wales. Born 1st July 1961 at Sandringham.

I imagine that if Diana had lived- she would be busy enjoying her birthday with her family, kissing her grandchildren, being a supportive mother to William and Harry, being a great mother-in-law to Catherine and being hands on with her many charitable organizations. She is indeed missed.

I just want to remember her and nothing more... I think too much has been said about her... and thinking at "what if" would happen it she still were here it is not use. R.I.P. That is enough IMO

Like most people her greatest legacy is her children and now her grandchildren. It is a tragedy that she did not live to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom