Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. The celebrity obsession that we currently have started, I believe as well, in the 80s. Diana was there at the right (wrong?) time and place. Given her insecurities as well as her personal gifts ('the way she lit up people's lives'), it was almost inevitable that she'd get caught up in the celebrity-media vortex.

Media and news changed in Diana's time. The 80s drastically changed how people interact with news and celebrities, and with time Royals began to be viewed in more of a celebrity light, especially when viewed by US news sources. Diana certainly learned how to work this to her advantage and made the best of it - and in the end had it turn on her - but she didn't create it. It's possible that the way we view royals now wouldn't have happened had Diana not had the understanding of the media that she did - she really did play with and manipulate the press and public opinion - but we can't say. It may have very well happened with or without her just because of how the media was changing at the time. It may not have. This whole thing is definitely a legacy of Diana, but it didn't start with her.

'Our mother would be proud': Princes William and Harry honour those given the Diana Award-
Princes William and Harry pay tribute to Princess Diana Award | Royal | News | Daily Express

It's very nice for them to honor their late mother and the charity. I just wished William & Harry were more involved with the awards and shine more light on it. I see what has been done with the Princess Grace Foundation and how the royal family is involved with the awards, I think that too could be done with the Diana Awards.

It's good that there's an award in Diana's name and that William and Harry were involved with the anniversary book that was produced. It would be nice to see one of them make a presentation some time--perhaps for truly outstanding public work--as Prince Edward has done for years with the Duke of Edinburgh awards. :flowers:

The difference between Edward's involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and William and Harry's involvement in the Diana Awards is that the DofE is an award system initiated by the Duke of Edinburgh himself and in the UK is a royal charter corporation. Edward's involvement is largely because he's expected to become the next Duke of Edinburgh. The Diana Awards, however, are a memorial awards that were initiated by people not necessarily connected to Diana after her death. It's not a royal award like the DofE and doesn't have (or doesn't seem to have) any royal patronage. I think if William and Harry were to be involved with an award in the same level as Edward is involved with the DofE that happens to be named for Diana I'd almost rather it be one that they themselves had conceived (or that Diana had conceived). Their work with charities that Diana was actually involved with seems to me to be a better way to pay tribute to her than to be involved with the Diana Awards.

And William is involved with some of her patronages- Centerpoint, and the Royal Marsden Hospital.

The difference between Edward's involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and William and Harry's involvement in the Diana Awards is that the DofE is an award system initiated by the Duke of Edinburgh himself and in the UK is a royal charter corporation. Edward's involvement is largely because he's expected to become the next Duke of Edinburgh. The Diana Awards, however, are a memorial awards that were initiated by people not necessarily connected to Diana after her death. It's not a royal award like the DofE and doesn't have (or doesn't seem to have) any royal patronage. I think if William and Harry were to be involved with an award in the same level as Edward is involved with the DofE that happens to be named for Diana I'd almost rather it be one that they themselves had conceived (or that Diana had conceived). Their work with charities that Diana was actually involved with seems to me to be a better way to pay tribute to her than to be involved with the Diana Awards.

It's great that William & Harry support some of their mother's charities and pay tribute to her in that way but I think it would be brilliant if they established a new charitable foundation in her name and become active in the foundation. The Royal Foundation of The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are now the legal owner of the memorial fund. I think they could possibly rehab the fund and establish a foundation and awards programme. I think they could take everything to a whole new level.

And I agree.

I know they are busy with their own foundation but I'm wondering if William & Harry ever thought about a royal foundation in their mother's name. I know it touches them that the Diana Awards is the only charity that bears their mother's name. I know I've been thinking about a Diana, Princess of Wales Foundation for years.

I don't expect to see a charity set up in Diana's name now. They usually are created while a person is alive or soon after her death. The latter was the case with the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund (which was wound up) and the Diana Awards. There is a generation of people now who weren't alive or aren't old enough to remember when she was with us. It's hard to believe her death was that long ago, but it's true. :ermm:

I don't expect to see a charity set up in Diana's name now. They usually are created while a person is alive or soon after her death. The latter was the case with the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund (which was wound up) and the Diana Awards. There is a generation of people now who weren't alive or aren't old enough to remember when she was with us. It's hard to believe her death was that long ago, but it's true. :ermm:

I have no doubt that Diana would've setup a charitable trust in her name if she was alive today. I think her interest was vast and would've grown over time. I think she was on her way to doing some amazing things before she unexpectedly and tragically died. She truly cared about cancer, aids, landmines victims and she had a major love for the arts. I think an established royal foundation in her name would not only continue on her work in helping others and sick children but it would help teach the new generation about who she was, the humanitarian work she did while she was alive and why it's important to keep her legacy and work alive.

I'm re-reading Bradford's Diana, purely because I came across it in the recorded book bio section of my library. It's been helpful to reach back in time and remember some of the things that happened in her life and the order in which they occurred. I had forgotten how long they were separated, for example. There are many other examples of what I have forgotten, or remembered in error!
And it's making me think anew about where she might be today, given where she was headed in the last two years of her life. Just as important (and a bit off topic), it has been remarkable to compare the Bradford 2006 Charles and Camilla to the people they seem to have become today. It's fascinating!
I'd just encourage anyone who is at all curious, to go back and pick up one of the Di bios for a re-read. It is an eye opener.

I have no doubt that Diana would've setup a charitable trust in her name if she was alive today. I think her interest was vast and would've grown over time. I think she was on her way to doing some amazing things before she unexpectedly and tragically died. She truly cared about cancer, aids, landmines victims and she had a major love for the arts. I think an established royal foundation in her name would not only continue on her work in helping others and sick children but it would help teach the new generation about who she was, the humanitarian work she did while she was alive and why it's important to keep her legacy and work alive.

I donno. Diana didn't start any organizations in her name during her lifetime, while she certainly had the time to do so. I think Diana was happy to be involved with charities and to lend her image to them, but didn't need them to be in her name.

I'd read in a couple of biographies that she wanted to start a Princess of Wales Trust but was told that it would conflict with the Prince of Wales Trust. That would have been while she was still married.:flowers:

Sarah Bradford and Tina Brown's are the most reliable IMO. They both had access to people who were in her circle as well as the people whom she helped. I also like the way that both of these writers talk about the background of the Spencers and how they and the old British aristocracy viewed the Royal Family.:flowers:

I'd just encourage anyone who is at all curious, to go back and pick up one of the Di bios for a re-read. It is an eye opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until a couple of hours ago, I was unaware that the Althorpe Exhibit of Diana's things had been dismantled and the items returned to W & H in August of this year (the article is dated 2013). Did this happen?. BBC News - Princess Diana: Althorp House exhibition to close

This exhibit included her wedding gown. I wonder what will become of them.

When the artifacts start to disappear, so does the interest of the public.

Until a couple of hours ago, I was unaware that the Althorpe Exhibit of Diana's things had been dismantled and the items returned to W & H in August of this year (the article is dated 2013). Did this happen?. BBC News - Princess Diana: Althorp House exhibition to close

This exhibit included her wedding gown. I wonder what will become of them.

When the artifacts start to disappear, so does the interest of the public.

Yes,
The award winning Diana: A Celebration exhibition closed in August 2013 at Althorp - See more at: Visiting Althorp » Spencer of Althorp

The items that belonged to Diana was returned to William & Harry. I'm guessing that everything has been returned to the Royal Collection and the items will be on official display at some point in the future.

The Touring exhibition also closed in August of this year.

Last edited:
I would think they would belong to the boys (her wedding gown etc) and if they have them/want to keep this stuff they will use or store whatever it is...or perhaps donate some things even.

LaRae

And as some might argue, about bl88dy time! :)

I don't think the interest will die down though. William & Harry may do something with the collections at some point in the future in memory of their mother. As we have seen with other royal historical artifacts.

I don't think the interest will die down though. William & Harry may do something with the collections at some point in the future in memory of their mother. As we have seen with other royal historical artifacts.

The interest is already tied down. The times that only the name Diana on a cover or on a movie poster was enough to hit the bestsellers or blockbusters lists are behind us.

The interest is already tied down. The times that only the name Diana on a cover or on a movie poster was enough to hit the bestsellers or blockbusters lists are behind us.

I certainly do not see big crowds at the Diana memorial fountains.

I certainly do not see big crowds at the Diana memorial fountains.

The Diana movie with Naomi Watts was a flop even. For the youngsters of our time "Diana" is already history. It is possible that "Wallis" will remain more in the history books, since a King once abdicated for her, than "Diana" whom, in essence, will be a footnote as the first wife of Charles and the mother of the two Princes.

:previous: I'm not sure that I agree with that assessment, Duc_et_Pair. I think she'll be remembered for the upheaval she caused the BRF in the 90's, even if not for her more positive attributes. She'll also be remembered for being the mother of royal line, even though she was never Queen Consort, and that makes her part of history. :flowers:

This is true. It would take something of historical value to make the serious news now--like if she was secretly spying for the Russians or something.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Diana movie with Naomi Watts was a flop even. For the youngsters of our time "Diana" is already history. It is possible that "Wallis" will remain more in the history books, since a King once abdicated for her, than "Diana" whom, in essence, will be a footnote as the first wife of Charles and the mother of the two Princes.

The whole "Diana (or Camilla) will be a footnote in history books" statement always makes me cringe.

This is not how history books work. History books focus on a subject and discuss it. They tend not to relegate people into the footnotes unless they only played a very minor part in whatever the subject is, but even then they're more likely to not be mentioned at all than simply put into a footnote.

If a history book is written on the history of the British Crown, comparable to say David Starkey's Crown and Country or Mike Ashley's British Kings and Queens then many consorts will only have a brief note on them - Queen Anne's husband, Prince George of Denmark, for example, doesn't tend to make a big splash in such texts. This is because the overall role that the consorts played isn't necessarily a big one in regards to the historical narrative. George of Denmark didn't have a huge role in an overarching history of Britain. Some consorts, however, are rather noted because they did play a big role - Eleanor of Aquitaine, Elizabeth of York, Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Wallis Simpson, etc. These consorts are focused on a lot in such history texts, and really it's very likely that both Diana and Camilla will receive a similar amount of focus as Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. Their roles, their shared history, is one that changed the monarchy.

If a history book is written even more narrowly about Charles himself, then neither Diana nor Camilla will be in the footnotes. If it's about pop culture or major events the 80s or 90s, both women stand to be mentioned, especially Diana. There was an American program not too long ago called "The 90s: The Last Great Decade" that spent time focusing on both the divorce and Diana's death.

Historic figures aren't simply relegated to the footnotes. At least not outside of a high school textbook which deals with everything in such broad strokes that it's impossible to note relegate important things into the footnotes.

Diana is an historical figure from the British royal family. She was a famous princess known all over the world and her personal assets historical as well.

I doubt Diana will be relegated to a footnote. Almost anytime the Royals are mentioned on tv or in books (even biographies about the Queen etc) Diana has a good portion of print.

One cannot mention William and Harry without thinking of their mother.

LaRae

We have seen with the exhibits for the summer openings for BP that the royal collection has a vast and varied amount of stuff. I would think that William and Harry would turn the stuff returned from Althorp over to the royal collection for preservation and part of a future display.

Diana's wedding dress maybe in special need of care since its being globe trotting the world for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

If William becomes King, then Diana will be remembered in much the same way as Queen Victoria's mother.

I doubt Diana will be relegated to a footnote. Almost anytime the Royals are mentioned on tv or in books (even biographies about the Queen etc) Diana has a good portion of print.

One cannot mention William and Harry without thinking of their mother.

LaRae

Yep. Diana definitely won't be a footnote. Love her or hate her, it can't be denied that she made a big impact. Some of it through her charity work and some of it through her (and Charles') tabloid antics.

I would say the same for Camilla. I don't see her relegated to just a footnote.

Last edited:
If William becomes King, then Diana will be remembered in much the same way as Queen Victoria's mother.
However I do believe that William and Harry were allowed to sleep in their own rooms and to walk downstairs by themselves. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom