Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To throw my two cents into the pot here, I'm going to go with the opinion that Diana and Charles were neither a good nor bad parents. What Diana and Charles aimed for was to be a different kind of a parent than what they experienced themselves at a young age.

When William and Harry were born, I think Diana and Charles both wanted to have more of a family environment and made a point to spend more time with their children such as story time, bath time, meals etc. No more of the "Children should be seen and not heard" and kept upstairs with the nannies, governesses and tutors and maybe paraded in to see mum and dad for an hour before they headed out to the theater or dinner party. Of course there were times when it was a necessity that either Diana or Charles or both would have full schedules, I think they both did the very best they could to put their children first and being actively involved in every part of their lives was a top priority.

They did turn out two remarkable young men that they can and should be very proud of.

I don't think she was a brilliant mother. She wasn't even a good mother. She was an Okay mother. She couldn't control her symptoms and used her children to vent her emotional garbage. JMHO.

I disagree. People who are completely off the rails can be good parents. All it takes is a focus on loving the child and helping them grow and become the best people they can be. Diana did that. She had a vision for what her boys would need to be in 2010 forward - and she helped them become that vision.

Every parent messes up somehow. Thankfully children can let a lot of things flow by. As long as mom and dad help you be who you are not hurt others, find an inner self, be strong and know how to move forward - you can turn out just fine.

I like her boys and the proof in in the pudding, as they say.

Charles & Diana did the best they could and when Diana died, Charles went on to do a pretty good job as a single parent.

I disagree. People who are completely off the rails can be good parents. All it takes is a focus on loving the child and helping them grow and become the best people they can be. Diana did that...
Unfortunately that is exactly what Diana did not teach her children. The best parents teach by example, and Diana publicly hurt the children and their father. The children would not known about his affair with Camilla if Diana hadn't made sure they knew about it.

William and Harry did turn out well. Partly because of the base Diana and Charles established when they were very young. Also because they went off to boarding school and were (mostly) shielded from the day to day drama at Kensington Palace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles & Diana did the best they could and when Diana died, Charles went on to do a pretty good job as a single parent.

That is considerably different than saying Diana was a "brilliant" mother.

Unfortunately that is exactly what Diana did not teach her children...
I simply dare you to find a parent who did not mark their children with parental failings. That's my point. Good parents try to fill the cup up enough that children succeed in life. Get that cup half full and a kid will be able to live a solid life.

I think we all see the positive and negative marks BOTH parents left on the boys. But the boys seem to be social successes - with weaknesses like all of us - but they are successes. Pudding.

When I said Diana was a "brilliant" mother, I didn't mean she was the perfect and heavenly mother. I'm just saying she was a good mother. Charles was and still is a good father.

I simply dare you to find a parent who did not mark their children with parental failings...
I disagree that parents take 100% responsibility for how children turn out. William and Harry seem like fine young men. Diana did some things right, they felt loved and they weren't physically abused--but that doesn't mean that she was a great mother. There are many examples of children who had horrible childhoods who turned out well.

I wasent to aware of Diana growing up but I will share my story of how I came to know of her and her wonderful legacy.

At the age of 19 I became very ill, with a lot of pain throughout my body. I became depressed and I was in the hospital a whole lot and I often wondered, how much suffering is it going to take to get to a better place. I remember asking a nurse if she had any good ideas of reading material for me, so she went off and when she returned she had several print offs of Diana and her life, her suffering and her triumphs.

For some reason I related to her and in a way I knew that if a Beautiful woman like her could have everything and be so unhappy and battered and used, that I could make it somehow to. In a way she inspired me to keep strong and keep going, and still to this day I read about her and Collect things.

She was an amazing mom, wife, and princess. And I love the fact that she reached out to so many people, the ill, the poor, the homeless... What an amazing woman. I think a lot of women can relate to her suffering and learn from it as she did, and become strong. When she died the world certainly lost an amazing being and an Incredible Humanitarian. She will never be forgotten and her legacy will live on through many, even people who never met her. And of course we get to see her beautiful sons grow and now her grandchild George.

I am glad to have learned about a very strong and beautiful woman, who helped so many. and endured so much suffering.

Im also going to see the new movie DIANA with Naomi watts.

Rest in peace Diana.

I wasent to aware of Diana growing up but I will share my story of how I came to know of her and her wonderful legacy.
Thanks for sharing your personal story.

Thank you for your honest, sincere, and respectful post.

May she rest in peace.
May her family and fans enjoy their memories of her.
May everyone respect that she was a Woman, Sister,Wife, Mother, Ex-Wife & Friend; every time something is published about her it can hurt those left behind.
Let her rest.
Let her Family live.

She is an historical figure and so will be discussed and debated to the end of time.

She is an historical figure and so will be discussed and debated to the end of time.

Absolutely! In her way, despite she had no politicall action, with her behavior, she changed the Monarchy in UK! You can be with her or against her, but she provoked a deep breal through, and this will be discussed for ever.

I think Diana and Charles were both the best parents they knew HOW to be. it is very, very difficult being a parent, impossible to be a perfect parent. One thing, IMO, that I do not doubt is that both Charles and Diana really loved their two children. Maybe they did not always show this love in the best way possible at the time, but they loved their kids very much nonetheless. Just my 2 cents

I agree 100%. And perhaps the 2 people's who's opinion matters the most, Will & Harry understand this as well.

Absolutely! In her way, despite she had no politicall action, with her behavior, she changed the Monarchy in UK! You can be with her or against her, but she provoked a deep breal through, and this will be discussed for ever.

Yes, she tried to change the Monarchy in a very petty way. Unfortunately of her courting the Tabloids to undue the Monarchy were made public in court and will now overshadow any good that she may have done. Her poor sons. They must be so ashamed of her right now. What was she thinking?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iana-leaked-royal-directories-News-World.html

Yes, she tried to change the Monarchy in a very petty way. Unfortunately of her courting the Tabloids to undue the Monarchy were made public in court and will now overshadow any good that she may have done. Her poor sons. They must be so ashamed of her right now. What was she thinking?

Princess Diana 'leaked royal directories to the News of the World' | Mail Online

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry is not ashamed of their mother in anyway. Their mother and father went through a very tough time back in the day and unfortunate things happened. They know that and they've moved on.

If I found out that my mother, regardless of the circumstances, had given away sensitive information about my father I would be more than ashamed of her - she would be persona non grata in my eyes (and that would be the same the other way). There is no excuse for this behaviour but of course the Diana fans will excuse her, as they always do, rather than condemn her as they would any other person.

They most likely look back on their mother with fondness, just as they love their father now. Diana's been gone now for almost 17 years. She's been deceased longer than either of them were with her when she was alive. As they've matured, no doubt they've learned more about both their parents than any of us will ever know. Neither William nor Harry have said anything derogatory about either of their parents or their parents friends and lovers. The only people they've spoken out about are those who worked in the Wales households and went on to write books about their parents and their marriage.

I wouldn't be surprised if at times they have been perplexed with things that both their parents have done. We honestly don't know because we can't read their minds.

The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry is not ashamed of their mother in anyway. Their mother and father went through a very tough time back in the day and unfortunate things happened. They know that and they've moved on.

Last edited:
If I found out that my mother, regardless of the circumstances, had given away sensitive information about my father I would be more than ashamed of her - she would be persona non grata in my eyes (and that would be the same the other way). There is no excuse for this behaviour but of course the Diana fans will excuse her, as they always do, rather than condemn her as they would any other person.

I'm a big fan of both the late Princess and the Prince. I don't make any excuses for any of them. I do understand that they were going through a very rough, tough and hurtful time and they did rather stupid and very childish things during their separation and divorce. It was a crazy time and dumb things happened. Things were leaked from both parties.

They most likely look back on their mother with fondness, just as they love their father now. Diana's been gone now for almost 17 years. She's been deceased longer than either of them were with her when she was alive. As they've matured, no doubt they've learned more about both their parents than any of us will ever know. Neither William nor Harry have said anything derogatory about either of their parents or their parents friends and lovers. The only people they've spoken out about are those who worked in the Wales households and went on to write books about their parents and their marriage.

I wouldn't be surprised if at times they have been perplexed with things that both their parents have done. We honestly don't know because we can't read their minds.

I agree. I think they know it was a very tough time for their parents when everything went down. William & Harry have shown nothing but love for their father and I know they would be doing the samething for their mother, if she was alive today.

Last edited:
I think her legacy is alive in her sons and I think it will continue when Prince George is told what kind of woman his grandma was when it came to causes dear to her heart. Not even Step-Grandma will be able to replace Diana in that forum.

Not everyone is as condemning and unforgiving. Some of us were taught to be more humane and forgiving. It has nothing to do with being an apologist or a fan of a particular person.

I think her legacy is alive in her sons and I think it will continue when Prince George is told what kind of woman his grandma was when it came to causes dear to her heart. Not even Step-Grandma will be able to replace Diana in that forum.

The beauty is that William & Harry do keep her legacy alive. Not only by supporting her charities but also just by living their lives to the full and trying to make her proud. I'm sure George will be told all kinds of stories about his grandmother and go on to do the same in supporting some of her causes as well.

I know Diana's engagement ring is now Catherine's engagement ring but every time I see it, I'm reminded of Diana.

May her light forever shine and she's well missed indeed.

In June 2000 the Princess of Wales Memorial Playground for children, situated in Kensington Gardens, close to Diana's home in Kensington Palace, opened.
Princess Diana liked children to have enjoyment.
It is a fitting tribute that there is the Playground where children can play joyfully.

I don't think it's quite true that every new princess is as image obsessed as this article implies, but it's a thought provoking read anyway.:sad:

Diana’s disastrous legacy |

I wouldn't necessarily say that the princesses themselves are image obsessed so much as the public is obsessed with the image and not the deeds of the princesses.

There are some princesses who seem to focus more on their fashion than their deeds, possibly as the result of this. If we don't care about the things they're trying to promote then why should they?

Actually, I think it's a little of both Ish. In at least a couple of cases in Europe, the(apparent) obsession of a princess with her weight and appearance feeds and sparks the press/public frenzy. Nobody would be interested in a dowdy princess, but part of it is also narcissism and vanity on the part of these women marrying in. As the article stated, they WANT to look like Hollywood starlets.

It's very unfortunate, because the long term effect is to reduce the historic roles of the families they have married into to little more than high-end reality TV families...in a couple of cases it has already happened.

And yes, as much as I liked her it started with Diana.

Last edited:
Of course when women in royal families 'fail' to live up to the ridiculous standards that the media places on them then there is immediate criticism. Wasn't Fergie's fashion sense ridiculed, and her struggles with her weight reported in the Press. 'Duchess of Pork', anyone?

Diana, unfortunately was a lovely but very insecure woman. She played games with the Press without fully realising the dangers, in my opinion. I was a fan, and she will continue to live on in the fond memories of her legions of admirers who saw her blossom, cheered her on, and were saddened by the end of her marriage.

Incidentally, the wars of the Windsors covered no-one with glory, neither the Prince or Princess of Wales of their so-called faithful retainers, ex staff etc., who later rushed into print.

However, it's often forgotten among those who point to Diana's closeness with the tabloids, that Camilla spent ten years talking weekly to the editor of the 'Express' and I'm sure they weren't chatting about the weather! Also Charles put his points across in a misguided televised interview in which he inadvertently outed Camilla.

Hmm... I think it would really depend on the woman. It's a bit of a chicken/egg type debate - which came first, the princess' obsession with her appearance or the media's obsession with it?

There are some princesses who seem to have started out caring a lot about their appearances, some of which has only been exaggerated by the press attention, while there are some princesses who didn't care about their appearances as much as the media did to begin with but became a bit obsessed because of the press frenzy over their appearances. I think a good example would be Kate vs. Beatrice and Eugenie. Kate has always cared about her appearance, even before she was a princess, causing a press/public frenzy about her appearance at any event. On the other hand, the Yorks haven't always cared about their appearances but there's still been a press/public frenzy about what they're wearing at events - remember the frenzy about the wedding hat? Over time, we have seen them begin to care more about their appearances than they used to, I think likely because of the public critique.

I don't think it necessarily makes them more than, as you put it, high-end reality TV families. I think in their own way that's part of what they are and have always been. Royals have long been trendsetters and people have long looked at what the royals are wearing. Consider how popular wigs became when Louis XIV and Charles II began to wear them. Rather the problem is that this focus is taking away from whatever the women are actually doing. So when Kate does an engagement with a charity and the article in the DM is about what shoes she wore and how long her skirt is then we're not learning anything about the engagement itself.

I would also hesitate a bit to credit Diana with starting this trend. She was definitely there when it started and she played a great role in it, but I don't think she necessarily started it. A good chunk of it started long before Diana came on the scene - Louis XIV started a trend of men wearing wigs afterall. But even still, if you look at the affect that Victoria had on the culture of Britain during her reign, or the way Edward VII and Alexandra influenced fashions. Wallis Simpson was well known for her fashion. If I remember correctly, she was even often on best dressed lists.

Media and news changed in Diana's time. The 80s drastically changed how people interact with news and celebrities, and with time Royals began to be viewed in more of a celebrity light, especially when viewed by US news sources. Diana certainly learned how to work this to her advantage and made the best of it - and in the end had it turn on her - but she didn't create it. It's possible that the way we view royals now wouldn't have happened had Diana not had the understanding of the media that she did - she really did play with and manipulate the press and public opinion - but we can't say. It may have very well happened with or without her just because of how the media was changing at the time. It may not have. This whole thing is definitely a legacy of Diana, but it didn't start with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom