The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2016, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Elizabeth Taylor was an early AIDS supporter started in 1984. Testifying to Congress, creating amFAR pre Diana handshake. Raised more $270 million during her lifetime. Certainly not a D list celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Funny, i was thinking about her too

Old 05-11-2016, 04:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

How celebrities got into the AIDS discussion on this page is confusing. Yes, of course, many came out and did wonderful things, including touching. The point missed, is that Diana did it from this position where things like this weren't done. Whether she was told to touch someone or not, she did and continued to. That was in 1989. No many years later when the all clear had been sounded, so to speak.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

The point to me was that she wasn't the first to do that. Personally, I like to have the exact picture of what was happening not just the impression that that's how it was. Those people did do it before her which is what we were pointing out.

Overall, I was talking about it in terms of legacy. For those that lived through hearing about her touching an AIDS patient that will always stick in their memory because it was in every newspaper. But speaking as someone that didn't live through that (and when it comes to considering legacy, most people will not have lived through it), when I think of Diana 'AIDS activist' is not what I remember her as.

That doesn't mean she wasn't involved in that particular field or that what she didn't wasn't important. But we're discussing how she will be remembered. I think the things that have lasted regardless are that she was a pretty, stylish girl; she was cheated on by her husband; and she died tragically and left behind two sons.

It happens to all famous people. The public picks and chooses what to remember about them. No one's legacy is ever the complete list of everything they ever did or accomplished in their life. Maybe if she had founded various charities, constantly given speeches, and continuously raised funds for AIDS she would have that moniker, but she didn't really do that. To me, Magic will forever be considered an AIDS activist because of how long and how synonymous he is with the cause. Again, this is not an indictment on her and I'm not saying she wasn't a good person or a charitable person. I'm just saying, in my opinion, that's likely not what will be her main legacy.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I always remember reading about the Queen going into a leper colony at a time when that was still highly contagious and shaking hands, yes with gloves on, but still she did that. That did a lot to remove the stigma around lepers and that was before Diana was born. That has been the way of royals - go to the contagious and show that things can be better.

As for Diana - her biggest legacy is William and Harry and their determination to finish what she set out to do (Harry's recent words say exactly that - unfinished business) but what is that business - modernising the BRF or destroying it????
Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I always remember reading about the Queen going into a leper colony at a time when that was still highly contagious and shaking hands, yes with gloves on, but still she did that. That did a lot to remove the stigma around lepers and that was before Diana was born. That has been the way of royals - go to the contagious and show that things can be better.

As for Diana - her biggest legacy is William and Harry and their determination to finish what she set out to do (Harry's recent words say exactly that - unfinished business) but what is that business - modernising the BRF or destroying it????

If the Queen wore gloves it's a totally different thing I think most people can see that. And as for Harry comments of course the BRF has to move with the times and it always has think back to the first christmas message being aired.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Please note that off topic and inflammatory posts (as well as the subsequent responses) have been deleted.

Let's stay on topic.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
If the Queen wore gloves it's a totally different thing I think most people can see that. And as for Harry comments of course the BRF has to move with the times and it always has think back to the first christmas message being aired.

You are missing the point about the gloves.

In the 1950s going near lepers was seen as a big deal - let alone touching them at all, even with gloves.

That was a huge deal then and the Queen did it - she touched lepers, she was in their community.

A lot of the information about leprosy as a disease was still to be learnt when she did that.

The point is that she went there, she touched lepers and made a stigma go away in the process (if the Queen of Britain can touch lepers - a disease that has been around since biblical times - then maybe these people shouldn't be social outcasts).
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

I won't reply as it's off topic

Old 05-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I certainly don't think that Diana's intention was to destroy the British monarchy at all. She was well aware that her much-loved elder son was an heir to it. And how can finishing Diana's unfinished business destroy a monarchy of which William and Harry are a part?
Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

I think her biggest legacy is her sons. They each in their own way continue her work and build on it.
Yesterday William visited the Passage charity, he was presented with a photo taken 23 years ago of him, Harry and his mother when they made a private visit.

Centrepoint tweeted this early today, it shows the continuity between Diana and her boys.

Centrepoint @centrepointuk
Did you know: before Prince William became Patron of Centrepoint, the role was held by his mother, Princess Diana!

https://twitter.com/centrepointuk/st...47753126121472
Old 05-14-2016, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

It's lovely to see how natural Diana was with everyone. No awkwardness, stiffness or woodenness. People really responded to her in a big way.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I certainly don't think that Diana's intention was to destroy the British monarchy at all. She was well aware that her much-loved elder son was an heir to it. And how can finishing Diana's unfinished business destroy a monarchy of which William and Harry are a part?
she may not have consciously intended to do so, but her actions DID nearly destroy the monarchy....
Old 05-14-2016, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
she may not have consciously intended to do so, but her actions DID nearly destroy the monarchy....
I agree. It was most likely never her intention, but the best intentions can cause World War III. What started as a detoriating marriage became a monarchy rocking on its foundations, even so that the Queen publicly classified it as an Annus Horribilis in her long reign.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say her actions nearly destroyed the monarchy as when we really think about it, all this was played out on a stage where the private and personal lives of the people that make up the royal family were the players. We sat back and watched the show. Crown and government went on with business as usual.

With being given a keyhole to peep into their private lives, it did however, change the perspective on how the public saw the royal family. Some aspects we saw were the good, the bad, and the very ugly. On the positive side of all of this though, the public came to see that the "mysterious" and "mystical" and "untouchable" royals were actually human beings capable of having all the negative kind of things that everyday people have. In a way, it made the royal family more "real" to the people. People started to identify themselves with certain members because they had something in common with them they didn't have before. Proof is right here and seeing these threads on the BRF continuing on and on and on for a very long time.

Along with Diana's legacy living on in her two sons and their families, I think we need to include that perhaps by doing things that she did, it did change forever our perspective of the royal family.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I agree. It was most likely never her intention, but the best intentions can cause World War III. What started as a detoriating marriage became a monarchy rocking on its foundations, even so that the Queen publicly classified it as an Annus Horribilis in her long reign.
That statement by the Queen wasn't just about Charles and Diana's marriage.

LaRae
Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
That statement by the Queen wasn't just about Charles and Diana's marriage.

LaRae
Anne and Mark divorced in 1992
Charles and Diana separated in 1992
The fire at Windsor Castle happened in 1992

There might be more but it doesn't come to mind at this point.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Fergie and Andrew separated in March.

Fergie's toe pictures and the Diana tell-all book came out.

Queen had to start paying income tax.

The last African commonwealth declared independence.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Andrew and Sarah separated.
The Morton book
Charles and Diana's disastrous Korean tour
Diana at the Taj Mahal alone.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Majesty

Thanks folks. I knew there was stuff I was forgetting about. '92 was a bad year all around for the Queen and she named it aptly. It wasn't only Diana but a conglomeration of a whole lot of things. With Diana at the forefront and dishing out "tell all" scoops of her marriage, she was perhaps the most memorable and with this, brought in a new era of the public wanting to know and see every aspect of a royal's life. That was before social media too.
― John Lennon
Old 05-15-2016, 03:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think that Di was a bit disingenuous at times... either that or she really could be very foolish. She would do things and say "but I never intended such and such to happen" from that..Like the Bashir interview. Did she realy not think that that would infuriate the queen?

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana