The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
. What always boggeled my mind is how did Marilyn Monroe become an icon?

Well Marilyn became the Icon but Norma Jean made her that when she posed for Playboy .... after that they choped her hair colored it Blonde and changed her name to something not so farm girl and there it was she was the Icon Marilyn Monroe ...not to mention her famous marriages ... I would never have been her for a second...IMO sorry to go off the topic of the thread!!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post

MM died what could be called a "sudden untimely death" at the age of 36.
Well, apart from the age there's still a big mystery around her death, almost 50 years after. The so-called mystery around Diana's death was debunked efficiently (well, IMO...). However, even if monarchies had rarely experienced something like Diana, I doubt it will be as powerful as MM's since the latter kept a real mystery about herself (IIRC, she didn't say much when interviewed and she never did one in the same vein as the Panorama interview).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I would never have been her for a second...
Nor would I have. Mind you, I feel the same about Diana. I'm okay with who I am

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Courtier

For all the things I believe are great about Diana I would never wanted to be her either ...
Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Royal Highness

I think Diana, Princess of Wales greatest legacy will be her boys. The family you leave behind and taught will pick up where you left off.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I believe that that was a motivating factor in her life: To make a difference. Not to be just a brood mare for the "heir and the spare", but to truly make a difference.
And she did make a difference. Look at all the fund-raising she did for worthy causes and visiting people with aids and stuff. I bet some of the people she visited are still alive partly because of the hope she spread about. She was lovely wasn't she.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Most Powerful Angel

Does anyone else see that she was an angel in disguise?? I do...Charles was lucky to have her for the short time he did and we are blessed also. It is such a shame that money and fame for the paparazzis killed this woman. I hope they learned something from this...i know that they cried at what they caused also...will they chase someone else to their graves?? I wish people will frickin wake up and see what they do to people. They didnt just kill her...they killed alot of people's hearts when they did this. Not to mention 2 boys who dearly miss their mother.

Gladys in Ohio
u.s.a
Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Majesty

I don't think that she was an angel in disguise. I think that she was a charismatic young woman who tried very hard to be a perfect princess and then became overwhelmed by the many forces in her life. She did much good, but she was also troubled and went to the wrong people for advice. Her life could have ended differently, but she "made bad choices."
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always believed that the Princess had much too much fame, much too early and she couldn't handle it. At 19 she was engaged to marry the most famous bachelor at the time. I'm 19 and I can't picture getting married at this time in my life.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

When I think of angels I don't think of liars, manipulators or seriel adulterers. Diana was all of those so no she was no angel.

I do have some questions:

Why were the paps chasing her and Dodi that night? Answer: To take photos to sell to media outlets.

Why would the media outlets pay the paps for their photos? Answer: Because the general public will be more likely to buy their products with a picture of Diana on the cover (or a story about her inside).

Therefore the people who really chased the car that night weren't the paps - they were the instruments of the chase - but the true blame for the chase was the general public - Diana's alleged fans killed her because they were the ones who would have been buying the magazines and papers with the photos.

However true blame rests with one person and one person alone:

Diana - she got in the car with a drunk driver - stupid move, she didn't put on her seatbelt - stupid move, she agreed to leave a perfectly safe hotel to go to another one - stupid move, she allowed herself to be convinced to run from her 'fans' outside the hotel who simply wanted to see her - stupid move.

Her own stupid actions that evening killed her (along with the fact that the driver was drunk and the staff too scared to say anything against Dodi's decisions).
Old 01-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQueen622 View Post
Does anyone else see that she was an angel in disguise?? I do...Charles
Run for your life Gladys, most of the more prolific posters here have not a single thing positive or pleasant to say about Princess Diana... watch what happens next....
Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQueen622 View Post
will they chase someone else to their graves??
I'm pretty sure they didn't chase Henri Paul to the bar that night.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Majesty

Speaking for myself, I'm not anti-Diana. However, it does bother me when people refer to her as being more virtuous than most other people or better than the family she married into. For the first 10 years of her public life, I do admit that I had her on a pedestal. I still like to read about her and look at picture books of her sometimes, but I also realize that she was not all that her image would suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Run for your life Gladys, most of the more prolific posters here have not a single thing positive or pleasant to say about Princess Diana... watch what happens next....
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
When I think of angels I don't think of liars, manipulators or seriel adulterers. Diana was all of those so no she was no angel.

However true blame rests with one person and one person alone:

Diana - she got in the car with a drunk driver - stupid move,
Well no one is perfect and Diana wasn't perfect either many people have affairs and lie,their lives though aren't put under a microscope like Diana's was and kinda still is to this day(not trying to start anything people just stating the obvious), but I'd just like to point out one thing Diana didn't know Henri Paul was drunk almost no one did.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
, she agreed to leave a perfectly safe hotel to go to another one - stupid move,
While I agree that Diana should have worn her seatbelt that night, I understand her reason to wish to go back to Dodi's appartment that night: she had all her things there, her clothes, even her toothbrush. So of course she wanted to spend the night there and not at the Ritz.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
/-/-/-/-/-/
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
/-/-/-/-/-/
You're right. One really growns tired of pointing people to the available, believable sources on the life of Diana and to hope that they make up their own mind independantly once they have taken the time to think about the information. It's not that there's a smear campaign with unfounded information about - it's the words said under oath at the inquest or having been autorized by people who have given their name which makes up the information that shows IMHO that Diana was not an angel.

We have all a different kind of understanding for the behaviour of the late Diana but one should really get to know the established facts and then come up with a clear position. We're not talking a dream fantasy of a fairytale princess here - we are trying to be honest to the real Diana.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
she agreed to leave a perfectly safe hotel to go to another one - stupid move, she allowed herself to be convinced to run from her 'fans' outside the hotel who simply wanted to see her - stupid move.
Perhaps as Jo of Palatine said, Diana had all of her belongings at Dodi's apartment. Or perhaps she was tired and fed up with the paparazzi following her the whole entire day that she decided she didn't want to be photographed and be surrounded by throngs of people screaming her name and asking for autographs. She was mind you on a private holiday.
Its so easy to judge someone especially only on their faults than instead of trying to understand them.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

What I believe to be so sad about this is that IMHO she brought it all partly on herself when she had said that about an upcoming act of hers ("See what I'll do next!"). At the inquest it turned out that she in all probability had just tried to get even with Charles and Camilla in the headlines of the tabloids. And see where that landed her. And I say sad because I understand her, it must have been hurtful to see Charles with his great love and to have in Hasnat Khan just lost a man who could have been her great love. So she did in typical Diana-Fashion something unwise. Poor girl.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Courtier

(IMO) I don't think she disguised herself well at all, she was no angel but, she did great things for charity and worked hard to do best by her title and husband at first. The POW was lucky to have such a wonderful mother for his children but, if they did not love one another why stay together? That would not have been fair to any one. It is hard to say that the paparazzi killed Diana, although, I believed they played their part. Diana had a very odd relationship with the press they used her as she used them. There are many parts of Diana as well. We will never know all of them. Only the side she aloud us too... the one that she thought best to suit her .. She was a great many things to different people who liked her, and to those who did not like her she was not ...As for her boys what child does not miss a mother that is lost to any kind of death, I believe that they are better people because of who she was and who their father is. but that is what we are here for to give opinions and no they are not all the same and sometimes it is fare to agree to disagree.. (IMO of course)
Old 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
What I believe to be so sad about this is that IMHO she brought it all partly on herself when she had said that about an upcoming act of hers ("See what I'll do next!"). At the inquest it turned out that she in all probability had just tried to get even with Charles and Camilla in the headlines of the tabloids. And see where that landed her. And I say sad because I understand her, it must have been hurtful to see Charles with his great love and to have in Hasnat Khan just lost a man who could have been her great love. So she did in typical Diana-Fashion something unwise. Poor girl.
I believe you are right Jo. For the first time I fully agree with you.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana