The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Harry is Diana's legacy

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes, hes done a great job of turning himself around and honoring her work, got all teary eyed at work reading about how he wants to make him mother proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

I don't get the purpose of a statue honestly. The statue will rust long after many who remember her are gone.
A statue could be maintained, we have several that have been around for many many years. Its a way for people to see and remember her while out on their daily routine. By that logic, why do we have statues of anyone?

It just seems to be one of the things we do to remember important people, thats all. By no means would I want it to substitute her other works continued by others.

I also like the idea of a garden as well, although Charles was more a gardener than her, but it would be a nice quiet place to remember her and for children to play, which she loved. Also she was a big fan of juicing vegetables long before it became trendy, so maybe part of the garden could be used for vegetables and health promotion, which she was big on.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry but what has she done that she will be remembered even 50 years from now? Other than having William who will be king? Nothing. Many people of this generation don't know her even now. At least if the money went to a park, people could enjoy it for generations. What is the point of a statue? And I mean anyone's. Ooh people stand and stare maybe. A park or garden, a hospital wing, these make sense. A Princess Diana memorial park would be enjoyed for generations, even if people only know her in the history books. Queen Alexandra will never be an icon, but she is remembered not by a statue, but because her name is on hospitals and other things. Statues aren't built often any more as they take money to maintain and who should cover that cost??? Better that money be spent to maintain something that people will continue to enjoy and use.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I am sorry but what has she done that she will be remembered even 50 years from now? Other than having William who will be king? Nothing. Many people of this generation don't know her even now. At least if the money went to a park, people could enjoy it for generations. What is the point of a statue? And I mean anyone's. Ooh people stand and stare maybe. A park or garden, a hospital wing, these make sense. A Princess Diana memorial park would be enjoyed for generations, even if people only know her in the history books. Queen Alexandra will never be an icon, but she is remembered not by a statue, but because her name is on hospitals and other things. Statues aren't built often any more as they take money to maintain and who should cover that cost??? Better that money be spent to maintain something that people will continue to enjoy and use.
Her work changing peoples attitudes on AIDS, Leprosy and Landmines, her caring touch, and her showing the BRF the importance of taking a more active, caring role. On the more infamous side, the divorce, the battles, etc.

Since your issue is with statues in general, I can see where youre coming from on that. Guess I just grew up with them around, so for me, they're a touchstone to people from the past. They carry alot of symbolic value for people, I think thats why at least tacitly, the BRF is not keen to have one erected of her. But yes, something that people can use and enjoy is nice also.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I am sorry but visiting people in the hospital is not going to make her go down in the history books. yes, she was an amazing person, and a breath of fresh air in the BRF, but nothing that is going to be for the history books, besides being the mother of a future king. And maybe her more infamous moments. People love royal scandals, look how popular Henry VIII and his wives still are.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Majesty

I think that the War of the Waleses will be in the history books: "Her True Story", the Dimbleby documentary and book, and the Panorama interview. I don't agree with a statue for Diana. There are many other memorials to her which involve living, breathing people.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, I believe that the UK is at the stage where if anyone is going to be memorialized in any shape or form, it will be HM, Queen Elizabeth II. Her legacy is much more far reaching and encompasses a much longer period of time and already is starting to be encapsulated as the second Elizabethan era.

I also do not see any reason for memorials to be built to honor Diana. She was what she was and her legacy is very much alive in the two boys she raised, their families and how they affect the UK as a whole. In the future also, I would imagine that when it comes down to the legacies of of Wills and Harry, their father will be given equal recognition as far as influencing them.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Majesty

Yes, I agree. There is so much out there by which to remember Diana, and it will be available to future generations. Her dresses will be appearing on display in years to come in Palace exhibitions, children will play in the parks, Londoners and tourists will walk on the Walk, and cyberspace will have many archives of videos and articles. She will not be forgotten.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I believe that the UK is at the stage where if anyone is going to be memorialized in any shape or form, it will be HM, Queen Elizabeth II. Her legacy is much more far reaching and encompasses a much longer period of time and already is starting to be encapsulated as the second Elizabethan era.

I also do not see any reason for memorials to be built to honor Diana. She was what she was and her legacy is very much alive in the two boys she raised, their families and how they affect the UK as a whole. In the future also, I would imagine that when it comes down to the legacies of of Wills and Harry, their father will be given equal recognition as far as influencing them.
I do agree with a lot of what you have said (question that the boys really will honour their father in any way - but that is just me - they don't seem to ever really mention him, unless they are doing a specific interview about him it is always their mother and not their father who is mentioned as influencing them. They never voluntarily mention him.)

As for
Quote:
already is starting to be encapsulated as the second Elizabethan era.
I think the implication that this is something recent might surprise Winston Churchill who used that term in 1952 - early February to be exact - just as it was starting.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

None of us KNOWS with certainty what will be remembered and what will not 100 years from now. We all just have opinions.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As for I think the implication that this is something recent might surprise Winston Churchill who used that term in 1952 - early February to be exact - just as it was starting.
I know I can count on you to set the historical facts straight. I've just put a check mark by my "things to do today" list where it says learn something new.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I do agree with a lot of what you have said (question that the boys really will honour their father in any way - but that is just me - they don't seem to ever really mention him, unless they are doing a specific interview about him it is always their mother and not their father who is mentioned as influencing them. They never voluntarily mention him.)

As for I think the implication that this is something recent might surprise Winston Churchill who used that term in 1952 - early February to be exact - just as it was starting.
William and Harry do make their father proud, but they always make sure to talk about the one parent that's no longer here. They want to keep her memory alive.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
William and Harry do make their father proud, but they always make sure to talk about the one parent that's no longer here. They want to keep her memory alive.
Agreed, especially as it seems some are intent on her memory slipping away, im glad they make sure its kept around.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Majesty

I don't think there's one person who has had someone near and dear and beloved to them that has passed on that doesn't do certain things that will keep the memories of that loved one alive. For example, when I'm missing my mom, I put on a bit of the perfume she used to wear as it keeps her close.

Its natural that this happens in families but on a public scale, I think after a certain amount of time has passed, people move on to other things and the public memory fades. Its happened with many famous personages that have passed on. James Dean, Elvis, Monroe, and even JFK. The list goes on and on. They'll always be remembered but not on a grand scale. This also happens with unexpected events such as Pearl Harbor, 9/11, 7/7 and others. They're never quite forgotten but the shock, outpouring of grief and outrage fades with time. Its nature's way of healing.

I believe Diana falls into these categories.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Everyone's memory slips away. Diana did some groundbreaking things. Touch an AIDS patient bare handed and being a princess, too. The queen wears gloves to touch anyone. 50 years from now, Elizabeth will be remembered as living a very long time. She has done nothing groundbreaking. Just a very nice and decent person. George III lived a very long time, if not for the Revolutionary War, who would remember him? Yes, Diana was an icon in many ways, but icons fade, too. Victoria was Elizabeth in her day. Perhaps, greater. More influence on the continent. Today, she is a statue of a short, stout lady. That's how things go.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Heir Apparent

An excellent observation Osipi. IMHO most of us realize that over time that even the most admired will become less relevant in the eyes of future generations.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Gentry

yes, as time moves on, the intensity of memory fades for every famous figure, people would be utterly exhausted if the intensity of that week was maintained on a permanent basis.

I know a statue is not a unanimous opinion, but I think this picture would make a terrific one, IMO

LadyDianaSpencer-1980-1981219.jpg Photo by dawngallick | Photobucket
Old 05-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Majesty

If there was to be a statue sculpted, I think you've hit the nail on the head with the picture of Diana and the children.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Memorial statues are to mark the passing of someone of importance. Both Diana's boys are hale and hearty and it would be downright creepy having them immortalised in a memorial statue.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Ahhhh.... my eyes fail me once again. I didn't realize it was Wills and Harry with Diana in the photo. I thought they were random children. Nope... not a good idea to put Wills and Harry on a memorial. They'll make their own mark on the UK all by themselves.

Just looked at the photo again carefully and they are random children and the notations say photo was pre-marriage years. Most likely taken at the kindergarten she worked at perhaps?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Aristocracy

Great debate as to who or what deserves to be memorialized. There can never be a full consensus, but I tend to believe that there would really be no reason to create a statue of Diana. By the way can anyone tell me the first year that she touched/interacted with AIDS patients?

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana