The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree royal rob. The more recent royal brides/groom been older and have spent more time in a relationship with their future spouses. If you think about it quite often royal watchers have been asking "When will Prince/Princess _________ and Ms/Mr. ___________ become engaged?"

Old 01-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've always believed that there's always a positive in any negative if you look for it and your post, royal rob, reminded me of that.

It really wasn't that long chronologically that there was the royal mystique and a golden aura surrounded royalty. Think back to the time of the relationship of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson. Although known in social circles, it was not widely reported on and there were only whispers of rumors and when the bomb of the abdication dropped, it shocked and awed the public to the core.

Although Diana and Charles' marriage was a fiasco for many reasons and it was a time where the media began to capitalize on the lives and doings of the royal family, it was a time when the walls started tumbling down and the sashes raised from the windows of palaces. Although during the War of the Wales, the media fed on the negatives and scandals, it was then that I think the public started to see royals as not icons on a pedestal in a gilded cage but as human. People identified with Diana as they recognized that she had faults and foibles and warts just like the rest of us. I think it was the beginning of allowing the public to actually identify with various members of the royal family. When I think about this, the terminology "The People's Princess" does come to mind and although it can sound trite and a well planned PR spin but more and more, the people were drawn to "know" these royals in ways they never had before. A bridge was built.

In that respect, perhaps Diana's biggest gift was to raise her sons to know, experience and understand the world outside of the palace gates. She taught them to be "normal". She taught them that no matter what the circumstances are in someone's life, underneath it all we're all human and matter. Life is a balance. Give and take and if you have the chance to better someone else's life and outlook on life, its what you do. We see that in the attitudes of William and Harry (and Kate) as they show the world that they're not doing what they do because they are royal but because it has become part of their human nature.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince William and Harry plan to mark the 20th *anniversary of their mother’s death next year with a *landmark memorial in London.

Following criticism of other tributes to Princess Diana, a special garden will be *created at her home at Kensington Palace.

The determination of the princes to keep their mother’s memory alive has inspired the *poignant new memorial garden in the grounds of her London home.

The move follows years of criticism for a series of failed efforts to build a fitting tribute to Diana after her shock death in a car crash in 1997 at the age of only 36.
Read more: New Princess Diana memorial garden to be created by William and Harry to mark 20th anniversary - Mirror Online
Old 03-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sounds perfect and I'm glad her boys are going to be involved as they should be

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm always thinking that a royal foundation (one similar to the Princess Grace Foundation) should be set up or a hospital set up in her name. I think that would be the ultimate way the preserve Her legacy.

The garden sounds nice though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I'm always thinking that a royal foundation (one similar to the Princess Grace Foundation) should be set up or a hospital set up in her name. I think that would be the ultimate way the preserve Her legacy.

The garden sounds nice though.
There is already an hospital in Grimsby, Lincolnshire: the Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There is already an hospital in Grimsby, Lincolnshire: the Diana, Princess of Wales Hospital.
I think I forgot about that. It would be nice to a royal foundation set up in her name though.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-19-2016, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The garden at Kensington Palace sounds a wonderful idea and I hope it will be kept in good order in years to come. It will be a place for her grandchildren and descendants to come to visit, too.

The last resting place of Diana at Althorp apparently has not been well cared for, and if the reports were true I find it sad. Her brother and sons could surely find time one day a month each to go to Althorp and keep the moss and lichen at bay on the island if ground staff are a problem. As for the public monuments I'm afraid many statues and other memorials get daubed with graffiti, bird poo etc and as years pass neglect does the rest.

At the time of her death when donations were pouring in I hoped that hospitals would receive money to inaugurate wards for AIDS and HIV patients, also children's wards, including those suffering from cancer. If these had been set up in her name it would have been the best memorial possible, I believe, better than all the fountains and play areas on earth
Old 03-20-2016, 12:00 AM
Majesty

If I recall, not too long ago, I read a blip on how Harry loves to putter around on his own little plot of a garden. I wouldn't be too surprised if he is actually very involved with the planning and the layout of the memorial garden at KP. Harry's had some success with his crew as far as planning an exhibit for the Chelsea Flower Show with the Sentebale entries and I am just thinking Harry will enjoy doing something like this. Its sure to include some forget-me-nots I bet.

As far as hospital wards and such, I think the greatest legacy of Diana in this respect is not something in her own name as a memorial but the ongoing work her sons have put their passions into. What better memorial to a parent than to use their mother's influence on them in the areas of compassion and caring to follow in her footsteps with dedication to making a difference? We've heard recently from Harry that he hopes that his mother is proud of what he's been doing. That tells me that she's still very much a driving factor in his life. Both William and Harry keep their mother's memory very alive in just about everything they do. That is a legacy to be proud of.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Yes, and there's no reason not to suppose that George and Charlotte and Harry's future children will continue on this path of "making a difference".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What better memorial to a parent than to use their mother's influence on them in the areas of compassion and caring to follow in her footsteps with dedication to making a difference? We've heard recently from Harry that he hopes that his mother is proud of what he's been doing. That tells me that she's still very much a driving factor in his life. Both William and Harry keep their mother's memory very alive in just about everything they do. That is a legacy to be proud of.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 AM
Courtier

How do any of us.know how often members of Diana, Princess of Wales RIP do or do not visit her grave?
Old 04-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts regarding the marriage of Charles and Diana have been moved to Charles and Diana .

Old 05-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry speaks to HELLO! about his late mum Princess Diana

I've been saying that there should be something done to help commemorate her life and highlight her memory. I still would like to see a charitable foundation setup in her name to help other people. Something on the line of the Princess Grace Foundation.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Prince Harry speaks to HELLO! about his late mum Princess Diana

I've been saying that there should be something done to help commemorate her life and highlight her memory. I still would like to see a charitable foundation setup in her name to help other people. Something on the line of the Princess Grace Foundation.
I agree, or maybe even to continue her work with landmine victims, etc. perhaps a best guess as to what she would have continued doing. Also while I find most reproductions dont do her justice, can we PLEASE have a statue, already????
Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes a statue would be beautiful 💐

Old 05-09-2016, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duch_Luver_4ever View Post
I agree, or maybe even to continue her work with landmine victims, etc. perhaps a best guess as to what she would have continued doing. Also while I find most reproductions dont do her justice, can we PLEASE have a statue, already????
Her work with landmines has been continued for many years. Queen Noor has been a huge force in the work, even during Diana's last years.

I don't get the purpose of a statue honestly. The statue will rust long after many who remember her are gone.

At least a garden is something that can be enjoyed by people for generations, long after her 'legacy' is in the history books.

The issue with a foundation would be who would continue to fund and run it. Unlike Princess Grace, Diana was no longer a royal and the royal family have no need to carry on her legacy. Her sons have their own foundations and work, and honor her through that.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

We have several nice statues in Melbourne. They unfornately are mainly the depository for birds' waste products. I'd like to see something done in Diana's memory in the area of AIDS victims (which seems to have dropped off the radar lately) and children's health. Diana was interested in and identified with both these vital areas.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Majesty

Harry is actually has been involved with HALO and was their patron for the 25th anniversary appeal in 2013.

Prince Harry becomes Patron of the HALO Trust
Old 05-09-2016, 05:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Her legacy lives on in her sons. William is Patron of Centrepoint, Child Bereavement UK and President of the Royal Marsden Hospital, all charities his mother was involved with.

Julia Samuel is a godparent to Prince George. Princess Charlotte is named after Diana, so it's not like she will ever be forgotten.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry is Diana's legacy

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana