The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2015, 02:59 AM
Courtier

Diana's "legacy" will only live on in bits and pieces through her 2 sons.
- William likes to keep his family private because of the media's hounding of his late mother. He already has issued warnings to all and threatened to sue if pics of George and Charlotte are take clandestinely and published. Already somewhere in these forums, people were deciding if, when, and where George needs to start preschool and why. He doesn't understand yet, but there already pressure being placed upon a 2 year old. They need to let his parents parent him and be happy any information about his life is officially released by his parents.
- Harry is even more of a genuinely warm, down-to-earth person than was his mother. He seems to be very "fluid" - he is comfortable and appropriate in any situation and with people in any circumstance(s). The press doesn't hound him because it would just bounce off of him. He is nice to the press and they are nice to him in return. Even if something bad would be reported about him, he would go on smiling, photo - bombing, being his happy-go-lucky self. He has be given everything in life, but never gives the impression of being a spoiled brat.
- other than through her 2 sons, Diana is no more...there is no "if she had lived then maybe..." There is no "maybe" because she passed away many years ago, and none of the "maybe's" will ever be...

Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

We do know that should would be very proud of her sons, continue to be a loving mother and now grandmother. We can say that because of the way she lived her life.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-31-2015, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I think you are underestimating the affection people who were of her generation or slightly older had and still have for her, NotHRH. If she is forgotten except in the memories of her sons, why the number of threads and pages on Diana on this forum (84 on this thread alone) and why are there Tumblrs and Internet sites still devoted to her?

The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, the former beloved in her day, the latter a media star in her day, died years after her and don't hold that interest. Even today Camilla is not the Princess of Wales, a decision made after she married Charles because of possible public reaction to a title held by Diana.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:54 AM
Royal Highness

Excellent post.
I always think William knew what he was doing when he gave Kate his mothers ring it is in every photo every time she steps out.
It's saying don't forget her she's part of us

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I think you are underestimating the affection people who were of her generation or slightly older had and still have for her, NotHRH. If she is forgotten except in the memories of her sons, why the number of threads and pages on Diana on this forum (84 on this thread alone) and why are there Tumblrs and Internet sites still devoted to her?

The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, the former beloved in her day, the latter a media star in her day, died years after her and don't hold that interest. Even today Camilla is not the Princess of Wales, a decision made after she married Charles because of possible public reaction to a title held by Diana.
I am of Diana's generation - Diana was born in 1961, I was born in 1965. It is not so much remembering her, it is all of the "if she had lived then maybe..." I think Time magazine had an edition of "Diana at 50" four years ago. There was no Diana at 50 - she died at barely 36 years old. It is all of the "what if's" I object to because there are no and there will never be any what if's. Diana will be forever 36 and that's all there is to it. The Queen Mum and P Margaret both grew older and media attention to them both waned; Diana will never be old. Actually and officially Camilla is THE Princess of Wales, but chose to be known as The Duchess of Cornwall out of "respect" for William, Harry, and somewhat for Diana. It was announced also Camilla will be The Princess Consort when (if?) Charles becomes king, but enough time has passed and I do believe she will be HM The Queen. Everyone seems more accepting of Camilla than was originally thought. Memories and affection for a person who has passed can be very soothing, but there are no "what if's" because they will never be. Would William have married Kate if Diana had lived, and would Wm and Harry be different people than they are today if Diana was still with us? Doesn't matter - because that is not the reality of the situation. Wm married Kate and Wm's and Harry's personalities today I'm sure have been affected in some ways because of Diana's death. Honoring her memory is wonderful but all of the speculation of her being alive today is pointless because she exists no longer...that is the reality of this situation.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:52 AM
Royal Highness

Again we all know she died doesn't mean we can't talk about what ifs. I took my grandsons to my mothers grave and spoke about how much she would have loved them. So I say Diana would have loved her grandchildren. talking about people who have passed isn't pointless and most people who have lost a love one would agree.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 12-31-2015, 05:12 AM
Courtier

I believe and this is my humble opinion that Diana, Princess of Wales, death and the reaction to it shocked many including The Royal Family. Discussions were had and changes made. She will not be airbrushed out of history, I suspect.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

50 years from now when they are making biographies or documentaries about the BRF Diana will still get a spot. You can't talk about her sons/grandchildren, one of which will be a reigning monarch, without talking about her. That sapphire is going to be passed down as well.

LaRae
Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
50 years from now when they are making biographies or documentaries about the BRF Diana will still get a spot. You can't talk about her sons/grandchildren, one of which will be a reigning monarch, without talking about her. That sapphire is going to be passed down as well. LaRae
That is just what is seems like to people who are now alive but come back in 50 years or so she will remembered as much as Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.

Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld daughter was much more famous than Diana and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld is rarely or never mentioned when discussing her grandchildren. Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld was alive when her grandchildren were alive.

When the diehards fans of Diana die out so will the 'legacy'.

When Charlotte is older they will compare her to Kate.
When George marries his wife will be compared to Kate.

There will always be a few, especially older, who will try to compare everyone to Diana but those people are getting fewer and fewer.

The ring may or may not be passed on but it will be the same as the jewelry the Queen wears, a few will know the provenance but most will not.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am sure that as time passes, Diana will have her own blips in the annals of British royal history but I don't believe it will be extensive. 100 years from now perhaps she will be regarded as perhaps Wallis Simpson is now (due to her relationship with The Prince of Wales/King Edward VIII). Diana's royal phase in her life was relatively short from 1981-1996 although during that time she did provide the heir and the spare from which the succession to the Crown will continue.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Courtier

I specifically did NOT say talking about Diana posthumously should NOT be done, or that she should be air - brushed out of BRF history. It's the ridiculous speculations, such as Diana would not have approved of Kate, or if Diana was still alive, Wm and Harry's lives would so different than they are now. The TIME magazine cover 4 years ago, "Diana at 50" with an illustration of what a 50 year-old Diana would have looked like was just stupid (the BEST word I can use to describe it). Go back, read, and try to understand my previous post. Posters are insuating things did state at all - read my previous post and undertand it before posting anything else about how I don't get this and that. Don't put words in my mouth when my post was obviously not understood.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Camilla is very much the Princess of Wales. She is HRH Princess Charles, The princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall....... Camilla has chosen to use one of her husband's lesser titles, but that is her choice and she is very much entitled to be called Princess of Wales. Honestly as much as it was said to be out of respect to her stepsons and their memories of their mother, it also is likely just to make things simpler. Diana is still considered Priness of Wales by the media and so many. Having a new POW would be a gong show. Instead of being Camilla, the new princess of wales, or current princess of wales, or whatever, Camilla Chooses to be Duchess of Cornwall, and like Diana, in Scotland Duchess of Rothesy.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Duchess of Cornwall, a title chosen at the time because of possible public reaction (as Diana was THE Princess of Wales in the public mind) which is precisely what I said in my post!

As for other posters pointing out that when die-hard Diana fans pass it will be a new era and she won't be remembered, several of the hard-core Diana fans that I know are women in their forties. If they and others live a normal life-span that's still 40 years or so into the future.

Those who dislike Diana for various reasons constantly look to a bright future for Camilla in the public mind. Well, it hasn't happened so far has it? All polls conducted in the past few years show her personal popularity ratings as extremely low.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Camilla is very much the Princess of Wales. She is HRH Princess Charles, The princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall....... Camilla has chosen to use one of her husband's lesser titles, but that is her choice and she is very much entitled to be called Princess of Wales. Honestly as much as it was said to be out of respect to her stepsons and their memories of their mother, it also is likely just to make things simpler. Diana is still considered Priness of Wales by the media and so many. Having a new POW would be a gong show. Instead of being Camilla, the new princess of wales, or current princess of wales, or whatever, Camilla Chooses to be Duchess of Cornwall, and like Diana, in Scotland Duchess of Rothesy.
Exactly. It is very possible that had Diana lived and Charles did marry Camilla with a living ex wife, it would be within the rights of Camilla to be known as The Princess of Wales whereas Diana would use the divorced styling as Diana, Princess of Wales. It follows along the same lines as Charles Spencer's ex-wives using (name), Countess Spencer whereas his current wife would be The Countess Spencer I believe.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
That is just what is seems like to people who are now alive but come back in 50 years or so she will remembered as much as Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld.

Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld daughter was much more famous than Diana and Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld is rarely or never mentioned when discussing her grandchildren. Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld was alive when her grandchildren were alive.

When the diehards fans of Diana die out so will the 'legacy'.

When Charlotte is older they will compare her to Kate.
When George marries his wife will be compared to Kate.

There will always be a few, especially older, who will try to compare everyone to Diana but those people are getting fewer and fewer.

The ring may or may not be passed on but it will be the same as the jewelry the Queen wears, a few will know the provenance but most will not.
Princess Victoria of saxe coburg saalfeld daughter was queen victoria. You are saying she was not well known?
Old 01-01-2016, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Exactly. It is very possible that had Diana lived and Charles did marry Camilla with a living ex wife, it would be within the rights of Camilla to be known as The Princess of Wales whereas Diana would use the divorced styling as Diana, Princess of Wales. It follows along the same lines as Charles Spencer's ex-wives using (name), Countess Spencer whereas his current wife would be The Countess Spencer I believe.
Not just possible, it WOULD be. The wife of the Prince of wales is the Princess of Wales plain and simple. Camilla can choose to go by whatever title she wants of her husband's but she IS The Princess of Wales, and would have been The Princess of Wales even if Diana had lived. I thik if Diana had lived Camilla would have been even more likely not to use it, not wanting the whole old vs new comparison.

Yes divorced wives use their titles as a last name, Sarah, Duchess of York for example. Its no longer a title but a surname until they remarry. I don't know about his second wife, but Charles Spencer's first wife Victoria is remarried, so she no longer is referred to as Victoria, Countess spencer.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:45 AM
Heir Apparent

No-one is denying, as far as I know, that, as Charles's wife, Camilla is Princess of Wales.

However, the point of my original post was to point out that, at the time of Charles's second marriage, Palace advisers were very wary of the public's reaction to Camilla assuming the title of Princess of Wales. This was almost certainly due to the deep public mourning at Diana's funeral which was virtually unprecedented and the feelings which emanated from that event.

That, and that alone is, in my view, why Camilla assumed the title of Duchess of Cornwall. The Palace and the RF were worried about the British people's reaction to an extremely unpopular woman who, in the public mind, was blamed for much of the misery of Diana's marriage, assuming the title of her much-loved predecessor.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Princess Victoria of saxe coburg saalfeld daughter was queen victoria. You are saying she was not well known?
I believe she is saying that Queen Victoria's mother isn't well known - not that Queen Victoria herself isn't well known.

She is correct with that as most people couldn't name Queen Victoria's mother or possibly even her father. Many probably assume that William IV is her father as the most usual way for a monarch to succeed is to follow their parent.

Obviously people who study royals or 19th Century British history would know Victoria's relationship to William but again not all of them would necessarily know the name of Victoria's mother. Within her own lifetime, Victoria's mother was well-known but now - not so well known and Diana will end up possibly the same way - the mother of a king etc but not as a consort in her own right.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Diana's "legacy" will only live on in bits and pieces through her 2 sons.
- William likes to keep his family private because of the media's hounding of his late mother. He already has issued warnings to all and threatened to sue if pics of George and Charlotte are take clandestinely and published. Already somewhere in these forums, people were deciding if, when, and where George needs to start preschool and why. He doesn't understand yet, but there already pressure being placed upon a 2 year old. They need to let his parents parent him and be happy any information about his life is officially released by his parents.
- Harry is even more of a genuinely warm, down-to-earth person than was his mother. He seems to be very "fluid" - he is comfortable and appropriate in any situation and with people in any circumstance(s). The press doesn't hound him because it would just bounce off of him. He is nice to the press and they are nice to him in return. Even if something bad would be reported about him, he would go on smiling, photo - bombing, being his happy-go-lucky self. He has be given everything in life, but never gives the impression of being a spoiled brat.
- other than through her 2 sons, Diana is no more...there is no "if she had lived then maybe..." There is no "maybe" because she passed away many years ago, and none of the "maybe's" will ever be...
In a way I think you are right. Her two sons are the inevitable result of a broken home, of which there are hundreds of thousands. The only thing that distinguishes them is their parents divorce and the subsequent death of their mother was played out in the media, a lot of which they did not see or understand at that time.

But, I have to admit to a really creepy feeling when people make sweeping statements about what would have happened if their mother had not died at 36. She did and ideas that one, both or neither of her sons would have joined the military, they would both be happily married or happy bachelors, that Diana would have loved or loathed their wives, etc. are pure speculation and not what this thread is about.

Diana's legacy is one thing, her fantasy life quite another.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Diana's legacy is one thing, her fantasy life quite another.
Hmmm.....well, a summation of legacy entails the counter-image as much as the positive.

Of course, we will never know. Life being what it is, people change, recover, mature, move on. Voila! It all changes in ways one could never have imagined.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana