Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but the question TLLK was asking (of Denville) was why she felt that much of the hostility towards Charles (and Camilla) was coming from outside the UK, and I was trying to explain why IMO I don't think it is mostly Americans or Commonwealth citizens or other foreigners who are the ones feeling that.

IMO there is a large proportion of UK citizens who will never accept Camilla and don't warm to Charles, and that, iin my view, comes mainly from what happened in Charles's first marriage. It is the British who feel that way, not overwhelming numbers of Americans etc.

Last edited:
Given that Charles and Camilla always poll very badly, I think that’s a good point, Curry. However, I done think polls ever reflect the entirety of a population, which is why I don’t like them. When these to make appearances, fortunately (pre-pandemic) they attracted only those who support them. If people want to hate them inside their own homes, so be it. Charles has lived with being the villain in the public’s eye for a long time; at this point, I’m sure that his sons’ support is the only thing that matters

Denville why do you suspect that the hostility is coming from those outside the UK?

I dont know for sure.. but from comments I've seen on Youtube, the level of well lack of knowledge about the RF etc, (which is mind boggling) is such that Im kind of assuming that a lot of the nay sayers on Social media, who still have it in for Charles and Camilla, are not British...
In the past year I've watched some of the documentaries about Charles and Royal life that I missed years ago, and they are usually pretty skewed towards the Diana POV.. so I'd kind of expect Americans to be more likely to sympathise with her rather than sympathize with Charles.
However perhaps Im wrong and there are lots of British who have virtually no knowledge of royal history, etc who take an interest in the RF and who support Diana rather than Charles....

Last edited:
Nearly a quarter of a century after her death; I thought all her jewellery was to be divided among her son's wives. But instead, it has all just been hidden away in boxes under lock and key. Such a shame. It didn't all belong to the Queen.

Nearly a quarter of a century after her death; I thought all her jewellery was to be divided among her son's wives. But instead, it has all just been hidden away in boxes under lock and key. Such a shame. It didn't all belong to the Queen.

whatever jewellery Diana had that was borrowed from the queen was returned after she died. the rest of her jewellery, like all her property was left to her sons.. so if they don't want to use it, that's their choice. Some of it is worn by Kate and Meghan.. if they don't want to use all her jewellery, that's up to them

What makes you think Diana's jewellery was not divided between his wives? Just because they have chosen to not wear most of it does not mean that it has not ended up with the boys. Actually, both daughters-in-law have been seen wearing jewellery from Diana's collection.

What makes you think Diana's jewellery was not divided between his wives? Just because they have chosen to not wear most of it does not mean that it has not ended up with the boys. Actually, both daughters-in-law have been seen wearing jewellery from Diana's collection.

Yes of course it was divided. She left all her property to her sons, so it belongs to them.. I think that neither daughter in law greatly likes Di's jewellery, so apart from a few items most of it probably is sitting in a box.. or maybe its been sold

A lot of Diana's jewellery was "of its time" and doesn't necessarily suit her daughters-in-laws' tastes when they have large collections of their own.

They also might be very careful about using it for everyday wear, imagine if they lost an earing or damaged a bracelet?

Lots of people's inherited and/or special jewellery is lovingly kept safe and not actually worn very often.

As for Charles and Camilla, I think there's a certain section of British society that will never accept her and The Crown has certainly stirred that up but also I agree with Denville that a lot of SM comments come from people who don't live in Britain, as do a large number of comments on the RF in general.

I think that Meghan and Kate are both not that keen on big jewellery so unless they remodel Diana's ornaments they may not find them to their taste.. and Megs' not working as a royal any more so I dont see her as likely to wear big jewellery.
Yes of course, there are people in the UK who don't like Charles and Camilla.. there are people who don't like any of the royals etc etc. But I think that the remarks on some of the social media show a COMPLETE lack of knowledge about the RF.. so I am kind of guessing that they are more likely to be Americans than British.

I think that Meghan and Kate are both not that keen on big jewellery so unless they remodel Diana's ornaments they may not find them to their taste.. and Megs' not working as a royal any more so I dont see her as likely to wear big jewellery.
Yes of course, there are people in the UK who don't like Charles and Camilla.. there are people who don't like any of the royals etc etc. But I think that the remarks on some of the social media show a COMPLETE lack of knowledge about the RF.. so I am kind of guessing that they are more likely to be Americans than British.

When I read the comments under American celebrity reporting Youtube channels (Clevver News, Entertainment Tonight, HollywoodWire, E! News, Hollywire etc.), I don't think the presenter/reporter nor people making the comments have comprehensive understanding of the Royal Family. This was when they are reporting about Harry and Meghan. Whilst the presenters/reporters are mostly Americans, I do not know the general percentages of nationalities of the people making the comments. Most of the comments that I have read were very pro-Diana & pro-Sussexes and pretty much against the Royal Family in general not just Charles & Camilla.

I do notice that with these celebrities/entertainment channels, most of them were not reporting on The British Royal Family until Meghan arrived on the scene. To some, this could be an indication that their producers and presenters have lack of knowledge on The Royal Family. Another evidence to support "this claim" included that these channels presented the topics in a "celebrity-like" manner and most of the topics were on Harry & Meghan and Diana (particularly with The Crown)

When I read the comments under American celebrity reporting Youtube channels (Clevver News, Entertainment Tonight, HollywoodWire, E! News, Hollywire etc.), I don't think the presenter/reporter nor people making the comments have comprehensive understanding of the Royal Family. This was when they are reporting about Harry and Meghan. Whilst the presenters/reporters are mostly Americans, I do not know the general percentages of nationalities of the people making the comments. Most of the comments that I have read were very pro-Diana & pro-Sussexes and pretty much against the Royal Family in general not just Charles & Camilla.

I do notice that with these celebrities/entertainment channels, most of them were not reporting on The British Royal Family until Meghan arrived on the scene. To some, this could be an indication that their producers and presenters have lack of knowledge on The Royal Family. Another evidence to support "this claim" included that these channels presented the topics in a "celebrity-like" manner and most of the topics were on Harry & Meghan and Diana (particularly with The Crown)

ET (Entertainment Tonight) often uses Katie Nicholls as their source, though she’s not the only one. The hosts of this and other similar shows do not know anything about the BRF; they only ever cover them when it’s a gossipy, big deal kind of situation generally involving William, Kate, Harry or Meghan...Diana is still sort of a big deal to some Americans, so her sons are also (relatively speaking as Americans in general don’t care about the Royals). These entertainment shows are incredibly gossipy by nature and yes, that IS how they cover the Royals they do cover

Its not the journalists, its ordinary people commenting on the Crown or programmes about H and Meg and the Royals in general. While I dont know for sure where the posters are from, I get the impression that they are more likely to be American than British..partly because of the COMPLETE lack of knowledge that they display about the RF.

Quite a few US entertainment channels use British or British-born correspondents when dealing with Royal segments on their shows. Victoria Arbiter for example keeps busy doing those.

Not all British people have a great deal of knowledge about the BRF, though. Many in the younger age groups know little and care less.

If you asked questions in any High St in the UK about the Queen's grandchildren for example a lot of the age groups under thirty years of age might know three or four of them, if that. Names like Princess Margaret and Edward and Sophie of Wessex may well get blank looks, and I once mentioned Prince Philip to a 19 year old university student studying at a northern university, and she asked 'Who?' and that was only two years ago.

Last edited:
Victoria Arbiter is awesome, I love her..but she’s mostly on CNN or networks, not she is like ET, etc... Same goes for her father, who I also love.

Denville. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are Americans. I’ve said many times before that Americans in general don’t care about the BRF - not that they hate them, just that they don’t think about them. We don’t have a monarch, or our own Royal family - of course, our history is predicated on ridding ourselves of the Monarchical form of government, so there’s no reason why a majority of Americans should know anything about the BRF.

I think it may be easier to believe that it is US citizens who are making these comments, presumably out of ignorance, than to believe that British people, even those who are young who are mostly on Twitter etc who can't remember Diana, would watch The Crown and form some pro Diana anti Charles views from it.

There are older people in Britain too, who have watched The Crown and had their long held ideas about Charles and Camilla reinforced, so one can't say that hostilities have been stirred up against Charles only on one side of the Atlantic and not the other.

The Crown has been widely watched (and criticised) in the UK and certain sections of TPTB have been quick to attack its portrayal of Charles in the media, which IMO shows anxiety that his reputation in Britain may suffer from it. I haven't seen any British commenters worried about what Americans feel about this particular season.

why would anyone worry what Americans think of it?

They're not worried about it. In spite of the debate on this thread that it's mainly (ignorant) Americans commenting on The Crown on sites and forming anti-Charles views, it is far more of a worry to CH and Charles's friends that his reputation is taking a hit in Britain due to British people watching the new season there. And there is some evidence, in spite of the conversations here, that has been happening.

My point is.,.. i dont know for sure who makes these comments.. but if they are British they are totally unaware of royal life/history etc. If they're Americans, its a bit more understandable than if they're Brits that they should know litlte about it..
But the whole show is pretty nonsensical.....

I dont know for sure.. but from comments I've seen on Youtube, the level of well lack of knowledge about the RF etc, (which is mind boggling) is such that Im kind of assuming that a lot of the nay sayers on Social media, who still have it in for Charles and Camilla, are not British...
In the past year I've watched some of the documentaries about Charles and Royal life that I missed years ago, and they are usually pretty skewed towards the Diana POV.. so I'd kind of expect Americans to be more likely to sympathise with her rather than sympathize with Charles.
However perhaps Im wrong and there are lots of British who have virtually no knowledge of royal history, etc who take an interest in the RF and who support Diana rather than Charles....

Thank you for your reply Denville.

A lot of Diana's jewellery was "of its time" and doesn't necessarily suit her daughters-in-laws' tastes when they have large collections of their own.

They also might be very careful about using it for everyday wear, imagine if they lost an earing or damaged a bracelet?

Lots of people's inherited and/or special jewellery is lovingly kept safe and not actually worn very often.

As for Charles and Camilla, I think there's a certain section of British society that will never accept her and The Crown has certainly stirred that up but also I agree with Denville that a lot of SM comments come from people who don't live in Britain, as do a large number of comments on the RF in general.

Good points Heavs. What was appealing to Diana in the 1980's and 1990's might not be as interesting to her daughters-in-law in the 21st century. Also I believe that the older and more valuable pieces were wisely kept safe in the vaults at Buckingham Palace. The jewelers could keep them clean and make any necessary repairs until William and Harry were ready to present them to their future wives. Then any alterations that needed to be made to make them wearable could be done.

The last yougov poll (October) showed 3 in 5 have a positive opinion of the PofW. I guess we'll find out what the affect of The Crown has been on his reputation in the next poll.

They're not worried about it. In spite of the debate on this thread that it's mainly (ignorant) Americans commenting on The Crown on sites and forming anti-Charles views, it is far more of a worry to CH and Charles's friends that his reputation is taking a hit in Britain due to British people watching the new season there. And there is some evidence, in spite of the conversations here, that has been happening.

I agree that what Americans (or any non-Britishers) think about Charles (or any member of the BRF) are irrelevant. I pointed out somewhere that his already low polling numbers dropped by 5% since June (and William’s rose 2%), which - considering Charles didn’t do anything in the months since that would explain the drop - can be attributed to the Crown. I’m really sorry for him, but he’s lived with worse - and, as nothing can be done about it- I appreciate that he’s just getting on with things. When the time comes, and he becomes King, hopefully those that do support him will be vocal, and those that don’t won’t do anything that might hurt him or damage the Institution. These latter people need to deal with the fact that William is not going to be King before his father.

I'm not Denville, obviously, :lol: but IMO there is still a great deal of resentment in the UK towards Charles and Camilla that doesn't have much to do with watching The Crown, though it might stir up old feelings towards the couple for some.

Much of the support for Diana during her lifetime IMO came from British women of the same age who had young children as she did and some had difficult marriages which helped them identity with her. Of course men in the UK loved her as well. When you see videos of her funeral many men are seen to be as upset as their women folk.

Diana drew huge crowds for her engagements wherever she appeared in Britain. These events occurred more than in the Commonwealth, where she was also extremely popular, and far more than in the US and other countries. After Diana died in her 30s there was a feeling in the UK population of the unfairness of a life cut short while those who had done her wrong lived on. And IMO again, that has been reflected in the opinion polls (taken among UK residents) for the woman who became Charles's second wife.

I believe that many of those who watched this season of The Crown are young, that is under 30 year olds who are seeing aspects of Diana and Charles's married life for the first time, and instinctively are sympathetic to Diana. Many might be Americans, I don't know, and certainly a great many who are on Twitter and discuss this series probably are. But don't discount the huge number of British people of middle age and younger who've been watching, either.

And in case some here think I don't know what I'm talking about, I was born and brought up in England, have large numbers of friends and family who still live there.

I was also in England a lot in the 1980s and '90s, and, perhaps more to the point, I was there when Diana died, was among the crowds before and after Diana was buried and heard what British people were saying in those crowds about certain royals.

Memories often die hard, and I don't think feelings about Diana and Charles and Camilla can all be attributed to watching The Crown and to its American and foreign viewers by any means.

It's only fair to point out that life carried on much as normal outside London in the week following her death. There was certainly initial shock at the accident but plenty didn't care or had little interest afterwards. Much of the reaction was exaggerated by the media who whipped up quite a witch hunt against HM.

Last edited:
I agree that what Americans (or any non-Britishers) think about Charles (or any member of the BRF) are irrelevant. I pointed out somewhere that his already low polling numbers dropped by 5% since June (and William’s rose 2%), which - considering Charles didn’t do anything in the months since that would explain the drop - can be attributed to the Crown. I’m really sorry for him, but he’s lived with worse - and, as nothing can be done about it- I appreciate that he’s just getting on with things. When the time comes, and he becomes King, hopefully those that do support him will be vocal, and those that don’t won’t do anything that might hurt him or damage the Institution. These latter people need to deal with the fact that William is not going to be King before his father.

As it says in the good book "let him who is without sin" & all that. The private domestic arrangements of the monarch or heir have no bearing on their capabilities. The French have a much healthier attitude towards this sort of thing.

Some wishful thinking here :previous:

Charles is a survivor, he endured way much worse than his portrayal in "The Crown". How many times some ominous birds predicted with delight the end of the Prince of Wales ? After the Camillagate, after the Panorama interview, after the Divorce, after Diana' death, after his wedding to Camilla, after Diana's memorial service and so on and on. And you know what ? He's still there.

The fact is, in this crazy year, "The Crown" is already forgotten and people in GB have so much to worry about than the somewhat twisted rendition American style of a too well known story. Because yes the story is too well known and the vast majority of people really don't give a damn anymore.

30+ years have passed and if, indeed, some actions during that time are not forgotten, they are now largely forgiven. Oh i know some spiteful and frustrated people are , again, stirring the pot, crying "you know what he did, you know what he did!", but the mainstream response is, as far i can see, "Yeah we know, so what ? She was not an angel either".

Because, as we are talking in the Diana's legacy thread, it's very interesting to note that the late princess 's memory is well and alive in all its complexity, good and bad times, and despite some desperate attempts of some rose tinted glasses hagiographers, people generally aknowledge the fact that she was a wonderful human being but also a real pain in the neck .

She was human, Charles is human, and humanity is made of mistakes. Thank God in our growing over PC and binary world, we can still recognize that fact. Time has always been on Charles's side. If God wills he will be King. And the 30 years old blabbing of the usual naysayers, the majority being not his future subjects, will not change that fact.

Last edited:
As it says in the good book "let him who is without sin" & all that. The private domestic arrangements of the monarch or heir have no bearing on their capabilities. The French have a much healthier attitude towards this sort of thing.

And, he’s happily married - it’s not as if he’s living dissolute life. I do wonder if the public knows or care about about much Charles does and has done.

As to the attitude of the French, I can’t say I like it very much - though I don’t judge them - if you mean that they don’t care if their public officials carry on affairs, have mistresses, etc.. It used to be, actually, in the States, that the media wouldn’t write about such things - they didn’t reveal about JFK’s affairs, as an example. I agree that they don’t really have much to do with how a country is run, but I would never not want to know as I think it does speak to a lack of morality I wouldn’t want in my President. This isn’t to judge Charles at all, who in love; his situation was a lot more complicated than, say, JFK sleeping around.

It's a matter of degree certainly but I tend to think private lives are no one else's business. I see the "French approach" as more honest & less hypocritical.

Being from a Welsh family but very much American I had an interest in Prince Charles, beginning in the late sixties. That changed when I spent a day with my great uncle while visiting Aberystwyth. He lived with my great uncle for several weeks as the prince went to the University of Wales. Great uncle's opinion of Charles was not good even though he was a mayor. My mother would send me clippings as my travels took me all over the U.S. and Canada for many years. It was when she sent me a clipping of when he was dating Princess Diana that I took notice of her. From that point onward she was like a brilliant shining light. America had fallen in love with her as we all know. She enjoyed that 'freedom' while here and I believe fell in love with America as well on her different trips and I believe she some how conveyed that to Prince William and Prince Harry. So as time has gone onward and memories fade and children that have been born since her tragic death, the star does not shine as bright. What I have seen and have read is a very wide opinion of the royal family, the Spencers, Diana, Charles, their sons, and their son's wives, including Camilla. All this before 'The Crown'. Which I have watched but was greatly annoyed by the dramatic inaccuracies. In my Facebook groups, websites forums, Twitter, and in this forum as well I have seen a wide variety of opinions from both sides of the pond including Australia, and New Zealand. Some are radical and full of hate and racism, which I absolutely despise these opinions. Usually and for the most part I find commenters to be kind and considerate, or will have a neutral opinion. I just find it hard to believe that a person can come to the conclusion that this group or that group have an unbalanced opinion due to what country they are from or where they live. I would like to see concrete evidence of enormous polls in a wide variety of people and that is just not going to happen. I honestly respect all of your opinions in here, good and bad, because for the most part they are informed or they have some proof.

[.....] I mean that private issues between couples are their own concern. A marriage falling apart is intensely personal to those involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a reason that we refer to these entities as royal families and not just monarchs. The British and other monarchies brand themselves as a family and use family oriented activities and events like weddings, births, birthdays, etc. to promote and justify themselves along with other activities / events like state visits, opening parliament and charity work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom