The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
It's interesting that whenever anbrida states something see post #1500), it is not just an opinion. But if anyone says anything to the contrary--even people who actually knew Diana--it's only an opinion.

How interesting, I've noticed exactly the same pattern.

Regarding Diana, I think her primary legacy (and the only one that will truly stand the test of time) are her children, grandchildren and future descendants. Her legacy will always be in the veins of the House of Windsor.

But in a century or two, she'll be no different from Anne Boleyn. Famous, yes, but not greatly well known. She'll be on History books, of course, but it'll be because of King Charles III and King William V - and on genealogical charts of King George VII and his successors.

She has done many good things when she was alive (and many terrible things as well), but nothing that makes her different from any other royal. I'll never be able to understand the hype (that sometimes almost looks like idolatry) around her.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, the hard work she put in as Princess of Wales and future Queen should be very much appreciated and not denied, watered down or tarnished.

It is indeed sad, but her memory lives on through her children, grandchildren and her charities. No one can touch that!
What I said was she lent her royal status and interest - that is as far as I went. "hard work" is relative and I have no idea about that. That is your opinion and it isnt mine

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There were several causes that were being highlighted, but Diana's royal status really brought some issues to many peoples attention all over the world. It's not about trying to attribute everything to Diana, that's just how it was.
I had a good friend who was dying of AIDS at the time Diana was photographed holding the hand of an AIDS sufferer. I used to sit close to my friend him and hold his hand but I remember a lot of our friends were afraid to get close to him or touch him. It is devastatingly sad for a sick person who knows he is dying and craves the touch and comfort of his friends to be shunned by them when he needs them most. Anyway, when Diana did that and that image was seen on TV and in magazines all over the world, my friend was ecstatic and I know he thought of her as an angel. It made a big difference to him to see her do that, and it made a difference to the attitudes of a lot of people of my acquaintance.

In that action I believe she was simply motivated by compassion and the desire to do what she could to help.

Quote:
Personally, I didn't know anything about landmines, leprosy or bulimia until Diana talked about it. Those issues were already known, but Diana brought it to my attention.
I did know about landmines and leprosy and bulimia before Diana spoke about it, but if she spread awareness of those things to people who were not aware, that is a good thing and she should receive credit for it. For all her flaws, she did have a lot of good points and she should be given credit for those, as should the rest of us.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
What I said was she lent her royal status and interest - that is as far as I went. "hard work" is relative and I have no idea about that. That is your opinion and it isnt mine
cepe, I was just stating my opinion and not making it seem like that was what you were saying. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I had a good friend who was dying of AIDS at the time Diana was photographed holding the hand of an AIDS sufferer. I used to sit close to my friend him and hold his hand but I remember a lot of our friends were afraid to get close to him or touch him. It is devastatingly sad for a sick person who knows he is dying and craves the touch and comfort of his friends to be shunned by them when he needs them most. Anyway, when Diana did that and that image was seen on TV and in magazines all over the world, my friend was ecstatic and I know he thought of her as an angel. It made a big difference to him to see her do that, and it made a difference to the attitudes of a lot of people of my acquaintance.

In that action I believe she was simply motivated by compassion and the desire to do what she could to help.

I did know about landmines and leprosy and bulimia before Diana spoke about it, but if she spread awareness of those things to people who were not aware, that is a good thing and she should receive credit for it. For all her flaws, she did have a lot of good points and she should be given credit for those, as should the rest of us.
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend who had aids. I had a family member who had the virus, and it was very hard to watch that person die of that terrible disease.

Diana simply worked hard in raising awareness for countless causes. I say -work hard- because I think the royal family work very hard in their roles by working and being very hands on with their charities and other organizations.

We all have opinions on Diana. Diana wasn't some angel who descended from the heavens to reign on earth. She was human, and as all humans do, she made some mistakes in her life. Although, her mistakes shouldn't be the main focus of her life and legacy. She accomplished some very important things in her very short life. She was a wife, although not the perfect one. She took on the roles as Princess of Wales and supported the future king and monarchy. She also became a loving mother to William and Harry; whom she adored more than anything. In her royal role, Diana became royal patron of countless charities and organizations. She carried out her official engagements and supported her patronages. After her divorce, she reduced her charities and decided to focus on a few that she could be more hands on. I'm sure had she lived, Diana would've gone on to support many other charities and organizations. She probably would've set up her own foundation at some point. We can only speculate, because Diana died just when she was about to embark on other ventures.

I happen to think Diana was about to start a new chapter in her life, and leave behind the tragedy of her divorce and all the drama it produced. Sadly, her fresh start was death and we'll never know what kind of life she would've gone on to live past her bad marriage.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

I have made comment before about that photo and the difference it made. Of course I was knocked down about it which is typical but it did make a huge difference.
We had little children with AIDS that schools were turning away etc all that changed after that photo was on every paper , magazine and nightly news. I remember it well very well

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 AM
Heir Apparent

We only need to look into British history: Princess Alexandra, then Diana's forebearer as Princess of Wales, made continuous efforts for a decent medical care for British soldiers. Since Florence Nightingale informed the British public about the horrors wounded soldiers had to endure in the Crimean War, the Princess of Wales was on her side. In the late 19th C the first steps were set for a nursing service. Finally in 1902 Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps was set with the name-giver as it's first president. That corps, with those striking uniforms, still exists today. So what Diana did, that was honorable and applause for that. At the same time we can say: this was "just" the role any Princess has (had) to play.

This was more or less standard all over Europe. In 1956, when Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands became 18, she requested the public not to give cadeaux but eventually donate something to a new fund, the Princess Beatrix Fund. She became its first President and this Fund, once a birthday gift, still finances research to musle diseaes, multiple sclerosis, Huntingdon's disease, Parkinson's disease, etc. Princess Beatrix initiated 10 fully adapted and equipped holiday bungalows for people suffering muscle diseases. That was 1956. Diana was not even born at all...

Conclusion: Diana did great work for charities and good causes. Work which was expected from Princesses. Not only in Great Britain but all over Europe.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Royal Highness

Of course other princess did great things but why use that to bring down Diana. This is Diana's legacy I can't understand how people can seem to make it their lives work to bring down Diana. No offence to anyone here but truly the amount of research and time some go to, to make a point is astounding . Every time Diana's name is mentioned the boots come out.
I guess we all have our passions in life and I'm not as passionate as others are on this topic.
This is JMO
Old 05-24-2015, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Of course other princess did great things but why use that to bring down Diana. This is Diana's legacy I can't understand how people can seem to make it their lives work to bring down Diana. No offence to anyone here but truly the amount of research and time some go to, to make a point is astounding . Every time Diana's name is mentioned the boots come out.
I guess we all have our passions in life and I'm not as passionate as others are on this topic.
This is JMO
It is not bringing own Diana at all. It is seeing things in the right proportions with the conclusion that her efforts for causes and charities to her heart fit in a long-standing tradition which still continues these days. In 1964 the Fondation Princesse Grace was established in Monaco. Princess Caroline of Hannover is the current president, continuing her mother's work. Thousands and thousands and thousands of children have been helped, quietly but efficiently, by this foundation. This is just an example. It is not about bringing Diana down. It is about seeing things in a wider perspective.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:39 AM
Nobility

I can only discuss Diana's legacy as I experience it as a normal UK citizen. I am in my late 20s and I only barely remember her. I remember the day she died and my parents being non-plussed at the totally over the top few days that followed. I remember seeing pictures of her lounging around on a fancy boat in the Mediterranean before her death.

I suppose her legacy for me is that she did some charity work, had a tumultuous marriage to say the least, wore some nice clothes which now look super dated, and died young. Not much more than that.

I work with a lot of people in their early 20s who just don't remember her at all. When the world was waiting for Kate to give birth earlier this month we discussed it every day at lunch, we occasionally chat about William and Harry and what they get up to. Diana simply never comes up - she's just not a relevant part of any of our lives. They know who she was, but that's about it.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is not bringing own Diana at all. It is seeing things in the right proportions with the conclusion that her efforts for causes and charities to her heart fit in a long-standing tradition which still continues these days. In 1964 the Fondation Princesse Grace was established in Monaco. Princess Caroline of Hannover is the current president, continuing her mother's work. Thousands and thousands and thousands of children have been helped, quietly but efficiently, by this foundation. This is just an example. It is not about bringing Diana down. It is about seeing things in a wider perspective.

Once again JYO how many people , children were helped. It's great that they do this work but once again I say you can't say one is better than another. Anyway I will leave you to it I should know better and give anything with Diana's name in it a wide berth
Old 05-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe she did do the same things as P.Alexandra or Q.Victoria in their time (though i find it hard to compare her to Ann Boleyn, whose legacy wasn't really her charity work) but all the people who knew them are dead by now and we can only judge with hindsight knowledge

Diana touched many people's lives who are still here today; and she made a big difference for many individuals across the world. With all these posts of comparisons, continiously ending with "she did what lot's of royals do" it feels like you're trying to tell a person who was touched by Diana "what she did for you was nothing special".
Why is that necessary in this thread? (There are loads of threads about the various aspects of Diana)

What the real question is; why is there a thread like this for Diana's work and not for other royals?

just my 2 cts..

ETA: i'd say that one of her great accomplishment was that she not only did things herself but was an inspiration to others to follow up on it, from two people i'm almost sure (even though i didn't ask them) that she inspired them for years to come: her two sons
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I agree Duc_et_Pair. Too often we don't hear about the work that royals do on a regular basis in the English language media so the public's image might be that they're not that involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I can only discuss Diana's legacy as I experience it as a normal UK citizen. I am in my late 20s and I only barely remember her. I remember the day she died and my parents being non-plussed at the totally over the top few days that followed. I remember seeing pictures of her lounging around on a fancy boat in the Mediterranean before her death.

I suppose her legacy for me is that she did some charity work, had a tumultuous marriage to say the least, wore some nice clothes which now look super dated, and died young. Not much more than that.

I work with a lot of people in their early 20s who just don't remember her at all. When the world was waiting for Kate to give birth earlier this month we discussed it every day at lunch, we occasionally chat about William and Harry and what they get up to. Diana simply never comes up - she's just not a relevant part of any of our lives. They know who she was, but that's about it.
Which is what I'd expect from your generation. The emotional connection to this person isn't there. As time moves on this will be the norm.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Which is what I'd expect from your generation. The emotional connection to this person isn't there. As time moves on this will be the norm.
Indeed. We are already almost nearing the second half of 2015, going to 2016. Time moves fast...
Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

This isn't Diana's fault, but when I watch specials on William, Harry or Kate and they talk about the charity work William or Harry does they always say they got it from Diana or it is Diana's legacy that makes them do it. I hate that they are allowed to portray this false image by ignoring the other members of the Royal family and their charity work and acting like it all started with Diana. Yes she did good things but why pretend she is the only one who did good things?
Another aspect is that anything to do with Will and Kate then they have to throw in Diana. When George and Charlotte were born their were glossy magazines devoted to it and at least 10 pages devoted to Diana. Remember the comparisons because Kate wore a polka dot dress after the birth? And the worst of it is when they have comparisons of Kate and Dia a because they word an outfit that had some similarity; Kate wears blue, red, green then lets dig up a picture of Diana in blue, red, green etc. The media won't let her go even if the younger generation don't have much knowledge or interest.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do believe that Diana's charity work inspired William and Harry a lot in their younger years. William most definitely continued Diana's work with the homeless with Centrepoint as Diana took a young William there with her to see first hand to experience what young homeless people faced day to day quite a few times. With Harry, one of his earliest endeavors into charity work was forming Sentebale with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho for HIV infected children. Sentebale means "forget me not" and was named in honor of both the Princes' mothers. For the past two years, we've seen Harry participate in entering a display in the Chelsea flower show portraying Sentebale (and winning the silver gilt award). To me, that shows not only Harry continuing Diana's work with HIV/AIDS but also incorporating Charles' influence with the love of gardening. Both boys reflect very positively on aspects they've inherited from both of their parents.

I was able to catch the PBS documentary of "Diana vs. The Queen" late last night and although I do feel it was biased, there was a good point brought up. At first when Diana wanted to do charity work with people suffering from AIDS, it was shut down as being too political and controversial by the Queen as she needed to approve all engagements and representations. From this report, it stated that Diana went ahead with it anyways. What we'll never really know is if that action was taken out of altruistic motives or if Diana was starting to buck the system at that point. Doesn't really matter now as what does matter is the good that those visits brought.

The important thing is that the work Diana did affected many people that still remember her fondly today. AIDS and HIV and homelessness still present a problem to our societies. Perhaps in 300 years they will be problems that have been conquered and eradicated and her work will be relegated to the history books along with other problems humanity has solved such as no more need for Save the Children near and dear to Anne's heart.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

She touched people ,physically, like the Aids patient. That was very important. The Queen, certainly, has done her job, both always wears gloves, which gives you the sense that she is not going to touch skin. No one wears gloves, today.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
She touched people ,physically, like the Aids patient. That was very important. The Queen, certainly, has done her job, both always wears gloves, which gives you the sense that she is not going to touch skin. No one wears gloves, today.
But they should. IMO there is no virtue in shaking so many hands with one's own bare hands.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
This isn't Diana's fault, but when I watch specials on William, Harry or Kate and they talk about the charity work William or Harry does they always say they got it from Diana or it is Diana's legacy that makes them do it. I hate that they are allowed to portray this false image by ignoring the other members of the Royal family and their charity work and acting like it all started with Diana. Yes she did good things but why pretend she is the only one who did good things?
I understand what you're saying and though I, too, find it a bit irritating, I also don't find it at all surprising. She was their mother and she was taken from them in tragic circumstances at a vulnerable time in their lives. Their memories of her are bound to be biased.

But Diana was only one in a long line of royal and aristocratic women who devoted their lives to charitable works. How many people today know anything about William & Harry's ancestor, the original "people's princess"? Yes, Diana was not the first to be given that moniker. HRH Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, later HRH The Duchess of Teck, the mother of Princess May of Teck (Queen Mary), was a tireless worker for charity and took on many patronages.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With a disease such as AIDS that was just starting to take hold in global awareness during the Diana years, there were many fallacies surrounding just how it could be communicated. With Diana being photographed touching and hugging those affected with AIDS, I think it did disprove to the general public that you could catch it by touch. Some of the AIDS patients became quite close to Diana and if IIRC, she rushed to the hospital to be with one close to her as he approached his final hour. There were many reports that came out that Diana did do what she could off the clock because she wanted to.

As far as gloves go, I think it was around the 70s and 80s that a lady's attire complete with hat and gloves started to go out the window. Growing up in the 50s and 60s, I remember well that one always wore a hat and gloves to church according to my mother. It was the fashion and style of the times.

I do agree that pressing the flesh with a hoard of people is generally not a healthy idea. We pick up things most commonly through our hands. Its normal these days to see a lot of ads for antibacterial soaps and disinfectants and I do think the norm now is to wash hands frequently with antibacterial soap. What they don't tell you though is that to be effective, a thorough wash for 2 minutes at least is needed. But I digress...
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Eeerh..... your statement "no one wears gloves, today" is really not true....

Queen Mathilde

Queen Máxima

Princess Charlène

Etc.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana