Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me it was not given the proper time for plan it. I think the blueprint for the one decided on should have been rejected and others be considered.

Why do you say that? Its over 20 years since Diana died.. teh Garden isn't soemthing that was rushed into a year or two after her death. I haven't been to see it but it may look better now than it did after it was first opened.

The plan supposedly was not good but they went along with it anyone. It had a lot of structural problems once it was built that had to be corrected. Maybe the problems could have been avoided if the planning was done more carefully.

Why do you say that? Its over 20 years since Diana died.. teh Garden isn't soemthing that was rushed into a year or two after her death. I haven't been to see it but it may look better now than it did after it was first opened.
I saw it in 2017 and IMO it was lovely. Despite its issues at the onset, I've always thought that it was a beautiful tribute to Diana.

I saw it in 2017 and IMO it was lovely. Despite its issues at the onset, I've always thought that it was a beautiful tribute to Diana.

That's the garden? I only have seen pictures of it, and I didn't like the first ones I saw. But its been over 20 years since Diana died so whoever planned it had plenty of time...

I imagine Diana's sons, daughters in law, grandchildren, her sisters, her brother, and her nieces and nephews will all be there. Plus her friends like Carolyn Bartholomew and Rosa Monckton.

I hope and expect that Diana's godchildren will be present too. It has seemed so long since this plan for a statue was first mooted and now we have a firm date. Can't wait to see what this statue looks like, and I hope it will be kept clean for visitors, not left smattered with bird droppings etc as so many city statues are.

Well one daughter in law might be there. Imo only Diana’s sons and siblings should go. I don’t see why there should be such a big group there for this Was there a big group that attended the other unveiling. It should only be the main players. Anyone else would be a distraction.

I expect that besides her sons and their families that we'll see her sisters and brother present along with anyone else on the committee. ?

The Culture Secretary was present at the 2004 opening of the Diana Fountain, if that is what's being asked, and Diana's ex mother in law, the Queen, unveiled it. The Spencer family was there and Prince Charles and his sons. Members of the public watched on.

BBC NEWS | UK | Queen unveils new Diana fountain

Last edited:
It was hideous and a complete waste of time and Money. I dotn know what it was meant to represent but it was a mess. So I've given up hoping for a memorial to Diana that is attractive and meaningful...

Honestly I believe that that her sons have started with "Heads Together" is IMVHO the most fitting way to remember and honor their mother who struggled with depression and bulimia.

Not only Heads Together. William continuing on his work with Centrepoint and Harry being involved in HALO (I wonder if that will continue now) are Diana's sons keeping Diana's work alive and continuing. This is the *real* legacy.

While Halo continues Diana's work, I don't think it is Harry's true tribute to her, or Headstogether. Sentebale is and always will be. And not simply because he named it in honor of her (and Seeiso's mother).

While Diana worked with land mines, and there is a link to mental health,what her fans seem to love about her was her connection to people. His work with the children whose families have been affected by AIDS is a true monument to his mother's legacy.

Mamohato 'queen of the nation' and Diana 'Princess of hearts' surely are proud of the legacy their sons have created to remember their work. Both women did great work for children, Mamohato created the Hlokomela Bana trust to work with the chiefs in Lesotho to help children with disabilities.

Last edited:
While Halo continues Diana's work, I don't think it is Harry's true tribute to her, or Headstogether. Sentebale is and always will be. And not simply because he named it in honor of her (and Seeiso's mother).

While Diana worked with land mines, and there is a link to mental health,what her fans seem to love about her was her connection to people. His work with the children whose families have been affected by AIDS is a true monument to his mother's legacy.

Mamohato 'queen of the nation' and Diana 'Princess of hearts' surely are proud of the legacy their sons have created to remember their work. Both women did great work for children, Mamohato created the Hlokomela Bana trust to work with the chiefs in Lesotho to help children with disabilities.

Oh you're absolutely correct! How could I have omitted Sentebale? Geesh.. the memory is the second thing to go.

It's rather fitting that the delays and advent of the pandemic have led to the statue being revealed on what would have been Diana's 60th birthday!

I hope the artist's rendering turns out to be worthy of the occasion and long-lasting in its symbolism and in its sentimental value.

Not only Heads Together. William continuing on his work with Centrepoint and Harry being involved in HALO (I wonder if that will continue now) are Diana's sons keeping Diana's work alive and continuing. This is the *real* legacy.

Absolutely true Osipi.?

I don’t expect any of the grandchildren to attend. Her sons will obviously be there since they are the ones who commissioned the statue.

I think it should just be William, Harry, Jane, Sarah and Charles S.

But looking at Concert for Diana where Harry had Chelsy and the Davy family front and center next to him, I can see Harry insisting on bringing Meghan and Doria.

Just like the Concert, I think William will have Catherine and the Middletons more in the background, maybe they'll visit once the photographer leaves, as he'll try to keep the focus on his mother.

After the unveiling, the larger extended family might gather for an unofficial 60th birthday party for Diana as they reminisce.

I think it should just be William, Harry, Jane, Sarah and Charles S.

But looking at Concert for Diana where Harry had Chelsy and the Davy family front and center next to him, I can see Harry insisting on bringing Meghan and Doria.

Just like the Concert, I think William will have Catherine and the Middletons more in the background, maybe they'll visit once the photographer leaves, as he'll try to keep the focus on his mother.

After the unveiling, the larger extended family might gather for an unofficial 60th birthday party for Diana as they reminisce.

I don't expect the grandchildren to attend simply because children under 10 normally don't attend public ceremonies like that in the UK. It is not the British custom, I think. Besides it wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to attend as they never knew Diana and have no personal connection to her (and neither do Kate or Meghan for that matter).

I agree it should be just William, Harry, and Diana's siblings, but it would be nice if the Prince of Wales also attended, not only in a personal capacity as Diana's ex-husband and father to her children, but also officially representing the Queen. I don't think William counts as the Queen's representative in that case because he will be attending as Diana's son more so than as the Duke of Cambridge and second in line to the throne.

Last edited:
:previous: I don't see the queen needing a representative. Diana has been dead for 23 years. There is no need for the queen to be involved or for her to have an official representative at it either. Diana was a private citizen when she died, and her sons will be more then enough royal representative there.

I also don't see any need for Charles to attend this. While he certainly would respect her memory, it has been 2 decades. Life has moved on for him and most of the world. Its not the early years after her death when the grief would be fresh, and her sons would need him there. Now if this was something like the 20th anniversary, him attending I'd say maybe.

I see nothing wrong with the wives being there and supporting their husbands. And that goes for all spouses, like Jane, Sarah and Charles' spouses as well. Unlike Charles, they are family of Diana even if some entered after she died (Sarah and Jane's husbands knew her).

Seating at a concert is certainly different then attending an unveiling.

Kate may have not sat with William but she caused just as much a stir. Her and William were not officially back together yet from their split in the spring. Her being there with her family certainly caused a lot of talk. If William thought having her not sit next to him would slow the talk, he was definitely mistaken about that.

I would definitely expect Diana's grandchildren to be there. Both Diana's sons want their children to know about and love the grandmother Diana would have been if she had lived.

Diana's immediate relatives are the only ones I expect to be there. Siblings, her sons, the grandchildren. I predict it'll be a small "family" affair rather than some grand public spectacle or anything on a note of being "official" such as representation of the Queen.

As stated, its been 23 years since Diana died and the the world has moved on for the most part.

It will be a day of celebration and remembrance...and I would think it would be interesting and fun for anyone to attend. Put old grudges in the past and move on with the times, this was the problem with the 'old school' monarchy. Let the children have fun and maybe take the time to explain to them about Princess Diana and what she meant to millions of people all over the world. Like her or not her life made a difference to thousands of people. She is in the history books.

It will be a day of celebration and remembrance...and I would think it would be interesting and fun for anyone to attend. Put old grudges in the past and move on with the times, this was the problem with the 'old school' monarchy. Let the children have fun and maybe take the time to explain to them about Princess Diana and what she meant to millions of people all over the world. Like her or not her life made a difference to thousands of people. She is in the history books.

I dont think it will be a "fun" occasion, rather a solemn sad one and I think the kids are rather young for it as yet. But Di's sons, siblings and daughters in law should be there.

I would hope the grandchildren go. I think that would be appropriate. They would perhaps want the memories later in life of honoring their grandmother.

I dont think it will be a "fun" occasion, rather a solemn sad one and I think the kids are rather young for it as yet. But Di's sons, siblings and daughters in law should be there.

Honestly I believe it will be a mix of happy and solemn memories of Diana. Naturally I expect her sons, daughters-in-law, siblings and a couple of close friends to be present.

I believe that by July 2021 George and Charlotte will certainly old enough to be present at the unveiling. As for Louis and Archie who by then will be three and two respectively, it will depend upon their attention span. As long as it's not too long and there's an adult ready to whisk them away if needed, one or both might be able to be present. ?

I hope they do go. It would be lovely to see all of Diana's descendants together

I just don't envision a birthday celebration as sad and solemn like a funeral. When it comes to Diana I immediately have a feeling of sadness, but that is me personally. I would enjoy going to a celebration in hopes it would be intentionally upbeat and fun. The great hope is by July 2021 this covid will be history.

July 2021,the celebrations for the late POW Diana, should be more a celebration of her life, then a sad memory of her untimely death. And focus on all the lives she touched and changed for the better, at least gave it a try. Put no focus of what could be if she was still alive,but what she was able to change in the short time she was allowed to be the Peoples Princess. Let her RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom