The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

There seems to be little appreciable legacy left by the Princess, other than the genes in her sons..

As the years pass, the memory fades, and she becomes a photo of a beautiful woman, just as Marilyn Monroe has..

Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh yes that's her....she saw Diana not long before her death.

LaRae

Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Diana cared less to the criticism she received over her landmines pictures. She knew tackling bigger issues like that would bring on the critics, and she accepted it.
I personally don't believe that is true. Diana did care a great deal about public criticism. But, I can truly understand as she was young still fairly immature even though a mother and did enjoy the bright limelight. Nothing wrong with any of that at times, but I don't believe she had the mental attitude to handle at the time. There was just too much going on in her life and not all pretty and to her liking. She was just a very complex girl that should never have married who and when she did. She never found the place we wanted. Shame.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
There seems to be little appreciable legacy left by the Princess, other than the genes in her sons..

As the years pass, the memory fades, and she becomes a photo of a beautiful woman, just as Marilyn Monroe has..
Aren't fading memories what most people leave? Future kings of England will still have her blood in their veins. Also, I think leaving two sons who love and remember her is a notable achievement.

Anyway, Diana and her achievements in her lifetime are still remembered and discussed today, as we are doing now. As for Marilyn, there are posters and books, and documentaries are still being made about her life and death.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

She is still be discussed here and in other places. Her photo still appears now and again in some publications. Her son will be King of England, if there is such a thing at that time. She has a grandson, who will also be king. What great legacy will most leave. Queen Mary is remember for the great style and the way she wore jewels, which was beautiful.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

Marilyn Monroe is the very last person Diana would want to be compared to. According to her brother Charles, she hated the comparison and found it incredibly insulting. (I don't blame her one bit.)

The woman she most identified with was Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and during her ill-fated fling with Dodi Fayed she had begun to feel that he could become her Ari Onassis. There are several problems with the Diana/Jackie comparison, among them the fact that Dodi was NO Aristotle Onassis.

Diana and Jackie: Maidens, Mothers, Myths auth. Jay Mulvaney.

For the record, I don't see the slightest similarities in the lives of Diana and Marilyn either, other than that they were attractive blondes who both died tragically at age 36.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Courtier

I always thought Diana and Marilyn were very much alike. They had the same negative personality traits, and the same positive personality traits. They both projected a very human vulnerability, that underlied something darker. They both had the "IT" factor. They both had messy love lives.

I don't think the BRF has ever had a Jackie Kennedy. The Duchess of Cambridge on the other hand, is more a Ethel Kennedy.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Majesty

Kate Cambridge is about as unlike Ethel Skakel Kennedy as is humanly imaginable. Ethel in her heyday was a madcap livewire...hyperactive, blunt to the point of rudeness, wild, fearless, fun loving and extroverted. She was an expert equestrienne, and a risk taker.

She was and still is a devoutly religious Catholic who celebrates Mass daily.

In her youth, Ethel was more like a religious version of Sarah Ferguson(without Sarah's avarice and tendency to adultery)
Old 03-20-2015, 02:42 AM
Courtier

I wouldn't call Ethel wild. She is definitely quirky and fun, but she always tried to take a more supportive, back seat role to her husband. She didn't chase the limelight the way some of the Kennedy women did. Living in the countryside with her family and pets was her comfort zone.

As for her being devoutly religious, well there sure was a lot of rumours about her and Bobby Darin after Robert's death. Just saying...

She was accused of stalking the Kennedy brothers, the same way Catherine was accused of stalking William. There's more evidence against Ethel.

With their love of skiing, family, supporting roles, and sequestered silliness - I happen to see a lot of similarities between the two women. We have to agree to disagree.

Just like we won't agree on the Diana vs. Marilyn front.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I personally don't believe that is true. Diana did care a great deal about public criticism. But, I can truly understand as she was young still fairly immature even though a mother and did enjoy the bright limelight. Nothing wrong with any of that at times, but I don't believe she had the mental attitude to handle at the time. There was just too much going on in her life and not all pretty and to her liking. She was just a very complex girl that should never have married who and when she did. She never found the place we wanted. Shame.
I think this is only your personal opinion. Did Diana really care a great deal about public criticism. No one can speak for her rather than herself. Here is her own words in the Le Monde interview on Aug 21st, 1997.

Quote:
"Over the years, I had to learn to ignore criticism. But the irony is that it gave me strength that I was far from thinking I had. That doesn't mean it didn't hurt me. To the contrary. But that gave me the strength I needed to continue along the path I had chosen"
She did receive some unfriendly press coverage over her trip to Bosnia. Here is one article published right after her Bosnia Trip (Aug 8-10, 1997). Basically it said her trip to Bosnia was merely a "photo op"

Quote:
Di's poison rose of Cairo

She may have thought going to Bosnia and doing her touchy-touchy, huggy-huggy, weepy-weepy bit with landmine victims would show up the Windsors yet again.

Not so. All she managed to do was turn it into a horror-chic fashion shoot in her pretty pink Ralph Lauren shirt and Armani jeans.

Her fleeting visit can't have done much for the Bosnians who've had bits of their bodies blown off by these barbaric weapons. Most of them had to be told who she was and seemed bewildered by the attention she brought.

The attention, sadly, had little to do with them - and everything to do with those snogging snaps.
Di's poison rose of Cairo. - Free Online Library

After reading this, I really understand why she said those words in the La Monde Interview.
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
-- The Road Less Travelled
Old 03-20-2015, 02:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I simply cannot believe that Diana would ever have agreed to marry a man like Dodi Fayed.

(I always thought she took up with him in the first place as a show of defiance to Charles and the RF. But MARRY him? No way!)
Diana took up with Dodi as a show of defiance to Charles and the RF? Do you have any evidence to suggest this, for example, her personal letters, her conversation with people, etc?
"Only a relative and fortunate few continue until the moment of death exploring the mystery of reality, ever enlarging and refining and redefining their understanding of the world and what is true..."
Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 AM
Nobility

Just a personal opinion. But after many days of discussion here, I found the biggest problem of this board is people just express their own opinions without providing or only providing very little substantial evidence to support them. I read in another thread that a member said "it seems we know so little about the Royal". I personally think, of course we would know little if we are here just reading other people's opinions instead of real information.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Surely that's the difference between opinion and fact? You don't have to provide evidence for your opinion.

Stating your opinion as fact is a different matter.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 AM
Courtier

.. to think that having offsprings and giving your genes to another generation is an 'achievment'... oh well, that is the most basic thing a living thing does in this world. I wouldn't call that an 'achievment' in itself - is it such a great achievment in the parents of 18 kids of the 'great unwashed'? mhhh I wonder.

I fear she left pretty little, apart from a little gossip for futur generations - her 'good heart' and her mines activity's .. I doubt there will be much talk about that after our generation, who 'knew' her and her dramas has passed away... In history books she will be mentioned as mother of King William; and disgraced wife of King Charles who died tragically young. In her familys history she will live on longer - just as much as anybody is living on in the familys mind of a history-concious family. Probably much more cherrished in the Spencer-history than that of the Windsors.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Surely that's the difference between opinion and fact? You don't have to provide evidence for your opinion.

Stating your opinion as fact is a different matter.
Hostory does not depend on people's opinion. but historical facts. Even 1000 people share the same opinion, without the backup of hiatorical facts, this opinion will has null cintribution to the hiatory.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
When Diana first arrived on the royal scene, she was unable to handle the criticism, but after many years of being a HRH The Princess of Wales, she developed confidence over time. She knew some of the issues she was tackling would stir up some critics. Diana wasn't as fragile as some would like to make her out to be. She didn't like harsh criticism, but she didn't let it stop her from helping others.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
.. to think that having offsprings and giving your genes to another generation is an 'achievment'... oh well, that is the most basic thing a living thing does in this world. I wouldn't call that an 'achievment' in itself - is it such a great achievment in the parents of 18 kids of the 'great unwashed'? mhhh I wonder.

I fear she left pretty little, apart from a little gossip for futur generations - her 'good heart' and her mines activity's .. I doubt there will be much talk about that after our generation, who 'knew' her and her dramas has passed away... In history books she will be mentioned as mother of King William; and disgraced wife of King Charles who died tragically young. In her familys history she will live on longer - just as much as anybody is living on in the familys mind of a history-concious family. Probably much more cherrished in the Spencer-history than that of the Windsors.
Why would Diana be 'a disgraced wife'? Surely if that were true (and in my opinion it's far from the truth) she would not have received the very public funeral that she did.

Disgrace --adultery? Did Charles not commit adultery, and we won't mention Camilla? Disgrace--taped conversations? Well, at least not about sanitary products! Disgrace--giving interviews? Does Charles's interview with Dimbleby not count? Disgraced? I don't think so!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Why would Diana be 'a disgraced wife'? Surely if that were true (and in my opinion it's far from the truth) she would not have received the very public funeral that she did.

Disgrace --adultery? Did Charles not commit adultery, and we won't mention Camilla? Disgrace--taped conversations? Well, at least not about sanitary products! Disgrace--giving interviews? Does Charles's interview with Dimbleby not count? Disgraced? I don't think so!

Exactly , and I wonder how Charles will be remembered in a 100 years

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 03-20-2015, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

This is about Diana's legacy - not Charles's or Camilla's. Keep them out of this thread.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

Definitely disgraced - read The Treason Act.

On less evidence of treason than Diana provided Anne Boleyn was executed.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana