Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Run for your life Gladys, most of the more prolific posters here have not a single thing positive or pleasant to say about Princess Diana... watch what happens next....
Right you are, dear scooter. It is in bad taste to write a positive post about the late Diana, Princess of Wales without acknowledging negative sides of her life. It comes as no surprise that Gladys has been given a lesson very fast.

Okay. Let's not go down a personal road here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Her legacy will be that she was an enormously popular and well-loved woman, who brought an awful lot of attention to the Royal Family. She popularized and then almost destroyed them. I think at the end she regretted the back-stabbing and treacherous behavior. History will treat Charles and the Royals more kindly than people currently do. She sank very low attempting to destroy him, and he never resorted to the same thing. Had she lived, I think they would have been better friends than they were while they were married. I always think that while Charles couldn't live with her, he'd have wanted her to live. She is the mother of two very popular, beloved sons, so she did manage to be a better mother than wife. Had she been able to accept the help she needed, she'd have been a fantastic person. She and Charles might have stayed together and things would have been very different now. I am pleased that Charles and Camilla are happy, because I like them very much, but perhaps a healthy Diana would have kept her husband and the story would have had a much happier ending for her as well. She had so much promise, but it just didn't turn out the way she wanted, and she was unable to understand that her own actions precluded it. All in all, she will be remembered fondly by many people. She gave us all pleasure for a brief time, and then she was gone. I think reality is better than the fairy tale the press so wanted to preserve. When they couldn't they attempted to destroy the Royal Family. They almost succeeded. They carry and will always carry a lot of the blame. The press and the people put her up so high that there was no place to go but down.

This will not turn into another Charles/Camilla/Diana fight. Posts of this nature have been deleted.

Last edited:
t All in all, she will be remembered fondly by many people. She gave us all pleasure for a brief time, and then she was gone. I think reality is better than the fairy tale the press so wanted to preserve. When they couldn't they attempted to destroy the Royal Family. They almost succeeded. They carry and will always carry a lot of the blame. The press and the people put her up so high that there was no place to go but down.

I agree with your post Mara Jade. Diana, Princess of Wales will live in the memory to a lot of people. :angel:

The press almost destroyed the BRF, but they did help in the cause of her death.:ohmy:

The press almost destroyed the BRF, but they did help in the cause of her death.:ohmy:

Blaming on the others what they are responsible of, right. ;)

i have posted this on other threads about Princess Diana.

It would be wonderful to build technology in her name that will assure what happened to her, her sons and family will not happen to others.

Technology can assure a car will not move from its spot unless it meets the requirements set out by the passenger. A personal body guard of sorts when the human in us is compromised.

Peace

Technology can assure a car will not move from its spot unless it meets the requirements set out by the passenger. A personal body guard of sorts when the human in us is compromised.

In that case, the vehicle will be inmobilized in an emergency while the occupants attend to the "requirements", and photographers or attackers on the outside take their time to accomplish their own goals. Just a thought.:ermm:

What can be done to assure this does not happen again?

Some have encouraged technology that will offer the passenger some choices. Some suggestions have been to build technology that communicates with the cars CPU. This technology would listen to what the passenger wants when safely going from one destination to the next.

In this case the results of the findings from the automobile accident could be built into a device so to assure the passenger's choices are honored. This is a back up in case the body guard is incapacitate in some way from doing their job.

This is a start more thoughts will be required to assure this does not happen again to any Royal. Such thought can benefit others too.

Peace.

E-T

What did Diana want?

Peace,

E-T

Last edited by a moderator:
Her death was an accident, there's no way to prevent accidents, they happen. Moreover, she wasn't being driven by someone employed by her or the Royal Family, but by someone from the Al Fayed's. She was no longer under the kind of security protection offered to members of the Royal Family ( she didn't want it). If this had been an Royal Family or her own staff member driving drunk, yes it could be prevented in the future by being more cautious. But this would never happened had that been the case.

I think Diana's greatest legacy is her sons and eventually their descendents. Her blood will be in every monarch starting with William and after. Eventually, there won't be any Royal Family ( as the other branches get more minor and minor) that isn't descdended from her. She never lived to see that ( not that its come true yet). She also was one of a kind as a royal icon people can relate to- maybe she made royalty more relatable to ordinary folk or maybe not, but she will be remembered for merging royalty and celebrity into one. She was also beautiful, glamourous, and caring and will be remembered both as a fashion icon and as being devoted to good causes and wanting to help people- a unique mix.

The questions was how can we utilize technology in our future to assure this does not happen again ... to anyone.

The care for Diana could be focused not so much on destruction rather constructive ways to assure we learn from this regrettable "accident".

Driving under the influence of alcohol seems to be a choice, that Diana had no choices over as passenger. How can we change this in our future so this can not happen again without taking away choices or stigmatising.

i know even after all these years this is very sensitive a topic.

Peace,

E-T

won't be .

:-(lol)

"To be or not to be ... " who asked this? Why?

Peace,

E-T

She also was one of a kind as a royal icon people can relate to - maybe she made royalty more relatable to ordinary folk or maybe not, but she will be remembered for merging royalty and celebrity into one. She was also beautiful, glamourous, and caring and will be remembered both as a fashion icon and as being devoted to good causes and wanting to help people- a unique mix.

Nicely said.:flowers: When the bitter fires of the CDC factional wars have finally died down, this might indeed be Diana's true legacy. Merging royalty and celebrity is not necessarily a bad thing.

The questions was how can we utilize technology in our future to assure this does not happen again ... to anyone.

The care for Diana could be focused not so much on destruction rather constructive ways to assure we learn from this regrettable "accident".

Driving under the influence of alcohol seems to be a choice, that Diana had no choices over as passenger. How can we change this in our future so this can not happen again without taking away choices or stigmatising.

Technology isn't the answer to all of humankind's problems.

There are already devices that stop a person starting a car if alcohol is detected on their breath, but that collision could have occurred even if Paul hadn't been drinking. He was driving too fast and was responding inappropriately to an inappropriate outside stressor, i.e. speeding to try to get away from the pursuing pests with camera flashlights.

Anyone who agrees to be a passenger in a vehicle being driven by another puts their life in that other person's hands.

All you can do is provide people with vehicles with working safety features like seat belts, and hope the driver doesn't drive too fast and hope the passengers wear the seat belts.

I think that I have to vote for not mingling royalty and celebrity. Royalty stands for tradition and constancy, whereas celebrity is something that comes and goes with people's whims.:flowers:

Nicely said.:flowers: When the bitter fires of the CDC factional wars have finally died down, this might indeed be Diana's true legacy. Merging royalty and celebrity is not necessarily a bad thing.

To answer the earlier question what did Diana want? I assume they meant what did she want her legacy to be? I would assume her sons and her charity work, would have been the answer could she have answered that question.

When the bitter fires of the CDC factional wars have finally died down
I don't believe they ever will, you only have to read some of the posts by the younger posters. Children tend to reflect their parents view and so it goes on and on and on.
I think that I have to vote for not mingling royalty and celebrity. Royalty stands for tradition and constancy, whereas celebrity is something that comes and goes with people's whims.:flowers:
As you might expect, I agree with you. Royalty should be above the here today, gone tomorrow celebrity cults. Celebrity panders to their audience, doing whatever they feel is needed to stay in the limelight, Royalty is normally above all of that.

"Celebrity cults." Yes, that's about it. Sometimes I think that today's obsession with celebrity is like the Greco-Roman ruminations about their gods and goddesses: they weren't about having a good/ethical lifestyle and concern for others--they were entertaining stories about sex and super-human deeds. The sex is still there in regard to the cult of celebrity, but the super-human acts have been replaced with unnaturally good looks and our-tongues-hanging-out-with-envy lifestyles. And, oh yes, there's the voyeuristic enjoyment of watching someone else's tragedy.:ermm:

Celebrity panders to their audience, doing whatever they feel is needed to stay in the limelight, Royalty is normally above all of that.

Technology isn't the answer to all of humankind's problems.

There are already devices that stop a person starting a car if alcohol is detected on their breath, but that collision could have occurred even if Paul hadn't been drinking. He was driving too fast and was responding inappropriately to an inappropriate outside stressor, i.e. speeding to try to get away from the pursuing pests with camera flashlights.

Anyone who agrees to be a passenger in a vehicle being driven by another puts their life in that other person's hands.

All you can do is provide people with vehicles with working safety features like seat belts, and hope the driver doesn't drive too fast and hope the passengers wear the seat belts.

You make some excellent points.

DPOW technology could tell the car to go at the legal speed limit. The folks wanting her picture would have been avoided with tinted windows. Video cameras already saw who Diana was with prior to the accident as we have now all seen. Perhaps purchasing pictures from the video feed is safer for all.

Diana's legacy can also be technology that assures the safety of Royal families when passengers in any car that communicates with DPOW technology.

Please share your thoughts too.

Peace,

E-T

Agree.

Can blur fantasy with serious issues. Though Royals can still be fun and engaging. Privacy is a serious issue when trying just to be.

Peace,

E-T

To answer the earlier question what did Diana want? I assume they meant what did she want her legacy to be? I would assume her sons and her charity work, would have been the answer could she have answered that question.

Did Diana want peace in life not death?

What can be built that will assure such choices are honoured in the future?

Peace,

E-T

"Celebrity cults." Yes, that's about it. Sometimes I think that today's obsession with celebrity is like the Greco-Roman ruminations about their gods and goddesses: they weren't about having a good/ethical lifestyle and concern for others--they were entertaining stories about sex and super-human deeds. The sex is still there in regard to the cult of celebrity, but the super-human acts have been replaced with unnaturally good looks and our-tongues-hanging-out-with-envy lifestyles. And, oh yes, there's the voyeuristic enjoyment of watching someone else's tragedy.:ermm:

need to read hamlet again to come up with some great quote.

Perhaps we can learn from "tragedy" and learn how "tragedy" is turned around for a happy ending.

Peace,

E-T

I think Diana wanted peace in life and death, certainly. All her life was a quest for peace, if you see it that way. I think she believed ( and she had no reason to believe otherwise) that she would find her peace in life. But that wasn't to be, instead she found her peace in death, although her memory and legacy haven't been exactly peaceful with regards to the inquiries and allegations about her death. But those things, the inquiries and allegations, seem to be over.

:ermm::ermm:"Peace" is the last thing I would associate with anyone who publicly vowed "not to go quietly".

:ermm::ermm:"Peace" is the last thing I would associate with anyone who publicly vowed "not to go quietly".

When i sit on the throne i am not quiet either. This may not be appropriate.

Let's focus on how we can help so this does not happen to others. Would the choice to interact with the car have offered Diana the choice to set the speed as a passenger of the hired car?

Peace,

E-T
I think Diana wanted peace in life and death, certainly. All her life was a quest for peace, if you see it that way. I think she believed ( and she had no reason to believe otherwise) that she would find her peace in life. But that wasn't to be, instead she found her peace in death, although her memory and legacy haven't been exactly peaceful with regards to the inquiries and allegations about her death. But those things, the inquiries and allegations, seem to be over.
Is it now time to think of solutions and utilize the information to make safer choices for passengers in hired cars?

Peace,

E-T

I think Diana vowed not to go quietly with regards to her divorce and how the RF (perhaps) and some of Charles's supporters ( defintely) dubbed her a ''loose cannon. She wasn't going to let them win, she wanted to be Queen of People's Hearts. But I think she was searching for peace from all paparazzi coverage she had and I think she wanted to find peace in a relationship with the right man instead of the many men she dated in the last few years of her life, who never seemed to be right for her. I agree safer choices for passengers in hired cars is an important issue.

Good lord

I think Diana vowed not to go quietly with regards to her divorce and how the RF (perhaps) and some of Charles's supporters ( defintely) dubbed her a ''loose cannon. She wasn't going to let them win, she wanted to be Queen of People's Hearts. But I think she was searching for peace from all paparazzi coverage she had and I think she wanted to find peace in a relationship with the right man instead of the many men she dated in the last few years of her life, who never seemed to be right for her. I agree safer choices for passengers in hired cars is an important issue.

:ohmy: good lord how embarrassing ... foot out of mouth. Oh i feel awful oh how embarrassing and for all the world to see ... what to do?

All the personal issues will not help make the most of a life that dedicated herself to the people of the UK and those that appreciated her fine qualities. For me it was her commitment to work with men for peace.

After 2011 our crew will continue our work on some thoughts designd to keep people happy. i think there is room for DPOW to assure people get to where they want to go in good heath.

Peace,

E-T

But I think she was searching for peace from all paparazzi coverage she had and I think she wanted to find peace in a relationship with the right man instead of the many men she dated in the last few years of her life, who never seemed to be right for her. I agree safer choices for passengers in hired cars is an important issue.

Peace can only be found if you look into yourself, it's not somewhere out there to be found.

At the time of her death, she was old enough to have learned that. There are plenty of famous people living in the public eye but not live for their public image. The last two months of her life was frantic. According to Paul Burrell's account, she was in St Tropez one day, back to KP and packing up for trip to Bosnia next day, and another trip as soon as she got back from Bosnia. It was as if she was living life of an escaped convict on the run, not a person at peace with herself.

For all technology can do, there is no one who should be more careful of his/her own safety than themselves.

Defintely, she wasn't at peace with herself. The circumstances of her death say that well enough. Indeed, it was the company she kept at the time of her death ( Al Fayed) who continued to disturb her peace in death ( with regards to her memory) years after her death. But, it was only one year after her divorce, I think she needed more time to find peace for herself, and within herself.

I firmly believe that at the time of her death Diana was coming into her own, and while she may not have been completely at peace (who really is?), I think she was at the most at peace she had ever been. We must remember she had a tumultous childhood, a marriage that just didn't work for multitudes of reasons, etc.... She had always been someone's daughter or someone's wife. She had finally found her niche, her place, and her own identity. She still needed more time to find her path, but I've always felt she was well on her way.

It's hard to know. I think a year was too soon to say one way or the other. Until her divorce and split from the Royal Family, there were defintely loose ends in her life that precluded finding peace within herself, and it's anybody's guess if her outside life with all the press coverage was ever going to get peaceful. I think her '' Time and Space'' speech in 1993 was an attempt to find peace both within herself and in her public life, but it was too soon for either. Diana's legacy is a mixed one, and one wonders how she will be remembered say in 2097 when it will be a 100 years since her death. We are only eleven and half years removed now from her death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom