The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

Ryan White went public with his story in 1985. Rock Hudson died in 1985.
In 1985 it was already known that AIDS could not be transmitted by casual contact. Ryan White's mother fought the school board arguing that she did not have AIDS or HIV and she had close contact with her son, including giving him hugs & kisses.

Diana held a hand of a friend in 1987 and hugged a child in 1989.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Majesty

These were both well-publicized American cases, yes. However, I think that Diana's involvement with the AIDs issue did raise consciousness of seeing AIDs patients as people in need of care and human reassurance. Because Diana was The Princess of Wales, she had a high profile in society. That a princess would be involved with AIDS patients--visiting them and raising funds for research--must have meant a lot to those suffering from the disease.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Serene Highness

Although people knew intellectually that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact, the photographs with Diana touching AIDS patients were a powerful reminder. But she was one of many celebrities calling attention to AIDS. As was previously noted, Michael Jackson visited Ryan White and there were many newspaper and magazine articles, as well as made-for-TV movies.

Many famous people were diagnosed with the illness, including Elizabeth Glazer, Arthur Ashe and Olympian Greg Louganis. The awareness would have eventually happened, Diana's involvement sped it up, particularly for people who aren't interested in current affairs but who religiously watched Entertainment Tonight and People Magazine.

Regardless of the long-term impact, Diana's work with AIDS is part of her legacy. She really did help a lot of people.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
In 1985 it was already known that AIDS could not be transmitted by casual contact. Ryan White's mother fought the school board arguing that she did not have AIDS or HIV and she had close contact with her son, including giving him hugs & kisses.

While it was known that the disease could not be transmitted by casual contact, that did little to calm the public. Ryan White and his family fought for almost a year to get him back into school. When he was finally allowed to come back (for the 86-87 school year), the school made him use disposable utensils and separate bathrooms. Parents pulled their children out of school and his family had to deal with death threats and constant harassment.

That's why Diana's visit to the AIDS ward got worldwide attention. Not only because it was the first ward to be opened in London, but also because she was one of the first high profile celebrities to be photgraphed touching a person with HIV/AIDS. I remember reading how one of the patients said that her visit meant so much to him, because she treated him like a person and didn't wear gloves when shaking his hand.

So while people can argue how big/small her role was in the fight for the disease, it can't be said that she didn't have an impact.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've noticed is that it hasn't been established just how far in the future Diana's legacy would be looked at historically.

Take for instance Diana and her involvement with AIDS. Right now its being debated how much of an influence she did have on people's understanding of the disease and how she perhaps assisted in spreading the concept that AIDS itself was not transmitted by human contact. It is very possible that 200-300 years from now, AIDS/HIV itself will have been eradicated and other than for medical research such as one would look back at Jonas Salk and the polio vaccine, Diana and her work against AIDS may be a trivial blip.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Royal Highness

Ryan White was being hugged by strangers and famous people before Diana touched the hand of her friend.

Sorry but Diana did not reach a global audience with her touching the hand of a friend with HIV/AIDS. Rock Hudson story reached far more.

fyi, Diana never made news in Chicago for any of her visits including when she visited Chicago. (Never knew she visited but another forum claims she visited.)

Diana was on the cover of the tabloids and magazines but never did they write about her 'charity' work.

If Diana was known for her AIDS visit there would be magazine covers proclaiming this but AFAIK there isn't any.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
This has been a very interesting discussion because I've been approaching the whole "will Diana be a footnote or not" discussion as an American. It's natural for me to consider members of the modern British royal family as "footnotes," but UK nationals and members of the commonwealth have a different view. I'm learning a lot.
Good point! I agree. One's view would be influenced by one's own nationality. Makes sense.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Really, Diana never made the news in Chicago?

I seem to recall a crowd of people standing outside of Chicago building (not sure what building) waiting to see Diana when she visited in the late 1990's. She might not have been mentioned in the Chicago Tribune but she certainly made the Washington Post. Maybe even the front page if I recall.

Here is a pic of her visiting Cook County Hospital.

Diana Princess Of Wales In Chicago USA Visiting Cook County Hospital... News Photo 52101685 | Getty Images

She even stayed at the Drake Hotel.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thedra...go/4615683122/

Yes I can see why this trip wouldn't have made the news.

I get that Diana is still controversial...and that people will never like her for a variety of legitimate reasons just as people will always love her despite those reasons and make excuses for some of her actions. But let's try to keep everything in perspective and stop making sweeping generalizations (never made the news, didn't change at least one person's perception on something).

I think its possible to dislike someone and acknowledge that person may have some positive attributes. Just as its possible to like someone and acknowledge that person may have some negative attributes.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Royal Highness

The point being is her charity work is being overblown.

If she was known for her charity work the tabloids and magazines during her lifetime would have covered her 'charity work'.

There are no magazine covers heralding her AIDS work.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, Diana's visit to Chicago was pretty big and I remember there were lines of people and media outside the Drake hotel when she arrived. Her speech at Northwestern University on cancer research was well covered and she comforted the patients at Cook County Hospital. People went nuts over her at the cancer research dinner/gala at the Field Museum. Her whole visit to Chicago was covered Live on Chicago tv channels.

Her impact was huge and I personally don't let all the books, articles and movies tarnish her impact and her memory.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

If she was known for her charity work the tabloids and magazines during her lifetime would have covered her 'charity work'.

Um they did. There was tons of coverage of her work with AIDS, land mines, etc etc.

I get it that people aren't big fans of Diana, and I'm sure that her contributions didn't always 'change the world,' but why denigrate the fact that she DID help bring a lot of issues to the fore?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Maybe not in the US but the world doesn't stop at the East River and the Hollywood sign.

In the UK there was a lot of coverage of her charity work. You can argue she didn't impact Americans' perceptions of homelessness, AIDS and landlines, I don't know as I didn't live there but she did in the UK.

I didn't like her and still don't and I think her charitable work was over emphasized when compared to what the Prince of Wales and Princess Anne achieved but to deny her having had any impact in the UK is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Yes, Diana's visit to Chicago was pretty big and I remember there were lines of people and media outside the Drake hotel when she arrived. Her speech at Northwestern University on cancer research was well covered and she comforted the patients at Cook County Hospital. People went nuts over her at the cancer research dinner/gala at the Field Museum. Her whole visit to Chicago was covered Live on Chicago tv channels..
Never saw or heard of any of this...

Exactly what was Diana's expertise on cancer research?
What was her speech?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Never saw or heard of any of this...

Exactly what was Diana's expertise on cancer research?
What was her speech?
Here's a part of her speech-
Princess Diana Helps Raise Over $1 Million for Cancer Research | Cancer Network

Video Clips:
UK - Diana's Appeal For Cancer Organisations | AP Archive

I've been trying to find a full copy of her speech.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Diana's particular expertise was in the field of fundraising.

From People Magazine:

Diana helped raise, to the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center in Chicago, where about $350,000 in proceeds from her 1996 fund-raising trip will fund cutting-edge research, to an alternative London AIDS clinic, where patients receive massage and aromatherapy thanks to the $40,000 she brought in. As for a 1996 U.S. breast cancer benefit for which Diana helped raise $1.4 million, "she raised the visibility twice as much as it had been," says Katharine Graham, chairman of the executive committee of the Washington Post Company. "People were more willing to give—and to give more."

"Diana used her power just like a magic wand, waving it in all kinds of places where there was hurt," says Debbie Tate, cofounder of Grandma's House, a group of Washington homes for abused, abandoned and HIV-positive children, which was $100,000 richer after Diana hosted a 1990 fundraiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Um they did. There was tons of coverage of her work with AIDS, land mines, etc etc.

I get it that people aren't big fans of Diana, and I'm sure that her contributions didn't always 'change the world,' but why denigrate the fact that she DID help bring a lot of issues to the fore?
Why indeed?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Ryan White was being hugged by strangers and famous people before Diana touched the hand of her friend.

Sorry but Diana did not reach a global audience with her touching the hand of a friend with HIV/AIDS. Rock Hudson story reached far more.

fyi, Diana never made news in Chicago for any of her visits including when she visited Chicago. (Never knew she visited but another forum claims she visited.)

Diana was on the cover of the tabloids and magazines but never did they write about her 'charity' work.

If Diana was known for her AIDS visit there would be magazine covers proclaiming this but AFAIK there isn't any.
Diana holding the hand of her friend with HIV happened in 1997, years after her visit to Middlesex Hospital's (first) AIDS ward. The visit to the ward happened in 1987 and it most definitely reached a global audience.

Here are two articles discussing the impact her visits had.
How Di brought hope to gays - News - The Independent

BlogPost - World AIDS Day: timeline of a worldwide pandemic (scroll down to see the photo)

As for Chicago, Diana did make the news there. Here's a CNN article about her visit to Chicago. It even says that the local tv stations broadcast the visit live.

CNN - Princess Di casts royal spell over Chicago - June 6, 1996

She even got press when she wasn't visiting Chicago. Here's an article in the Chicago Tribune about a visit she made to New York

On Her 1st Visit, Princess Diana Savors A Well-polished Big Apple - Chicago Tribune

There are tons more articles, but I'm way too lazy to post them

ETA: Here's video from one of Chicago's local stations.

Princess Diana In Chicago June 6, 1996
Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 AM
Nobility

Diana's legacy : What is left or what will be left ?

Quote:

What is scientifically known doesn't translate to how the general public perceives things.
Rock Hudson made a difference but the general public still perceived this as a gay disease. Not that many people knew about Ryan White. But that was the beginning of people seeing that this was a disease that didn't Just affect one particular group. Princess Diana did make a difference . I think anyone who worked to raise AIDs awareness or raised money made a difference. I was in medical school in the 1980's. It is a horrible time - taking care of 20 year olds with HIV. We had little to offer them only Palliatve care.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Royal Highness

The world is not the U.S. or U.K. It is the world.

Diana did not have a global impact. Diana's charity work was not covered world wide. Her visit to an AIDS clinic in 1987 did not have a global audience.

Diana may have contributed to raising funds but that is not the same as having an impact.

As far as the coverage in Chicago, apparently she was here for 3 days, yet even though I regularly watch the news, I heard nothing about it.

I think this more accurately portrays her visit to Chicago.

Media have made Diana what she is: Princess of Hype
But the alleged Diana giddiness still boils down to maybe a dozen or so Chicagoans.

Media Have Made Diana What She Is: Princess Of Hype - Chicago Tribune
Old 11-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Lets look at this from another perspective. Instead of AIDS, lets look at Polio. It wasn't until 1955 that Jonas Salk presented his first polio vaccine. Today, its among the WHOs most necessary vaccines. Although there have been outbreaks of polio as recently as 2013 in Syria, there really isn't much in the news about this disease. I'm sure in the past there have been spokespeople and fundraisers that spoke out on polio but I'd be hard pressed to be able to tell you who they are. What is amazing too is the list of well known personalities that contracted polio and survived and aren't generally known to the public. Franklin D. Roosevelt would be the one most commonly known but people like Alan Alda, Johnny Weismuller, Donald Sutherland, Judy Collins aren't well known. What history teaches us is that Jonas Salk invented the vaccine.

It will be the same with AIDS. Diana did stand up and speak up for AIDS and many of us here do remember it but AIDS also will follow the route of polio when it comes to history with hopefully a name added that has come up with a cure/vaccine against AIDS/HIV.

Diana, I don't think, will be singled out for her charity work as all of the British Royal Family does this. Its what was expected of them in that time frame and continues on in our present. What Diana did will have no more impact on history than what anyone else in the family has done. Perhaps if Diana had set up a Princess of Wales Research Center where the cure/vaccine would possibly be found, it would have more of an impact and she would have been remembered for that contribution but this didn't happen. Spokespeople and fundraisers call attention to causes and its the cause that is remembered, not the person when it comes to the annals of history.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

...and the spin goes on.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana