Yes, Diana's legacy.

Brain Tumor
Brain Cancer
Brain Aneurysm

Old 10-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
We shall see, or some of us will! At the end though it will be Diana's blood that will be in the future Royal family, not Camilla's.
Ah, good! You agree with me. I said the very same thing about Diana's blood on page 4 of this thread, more than six years ago.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think as far as history goes, the average person taking mandatory history classes in school will see Diana, Princess of Wales as data he needs to remember for next Friday's test and then is filed into the far recesses of his mind.

There will always be a sector interested in her probably. I'm sure there is quite a bit published out there about Constantine the Great but it is not knowledge the average Joe seeks out. As the years roll by, the general interest in Diana will fade.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

Diana did some great work publicizing AIDS, but ultimately it was the work of hundreds of medical researchers that truly changed the lives of AIDS patients. The average nurse probably provides more comfort and assistance to more people in six months than Diana did throughout her lifetime. But none of that matters. People were, and are, fascinated by her and that phenomenon will probably interest academics for years to come.
At the time that Diana helped soothe the panicked fears of those who were afraid of AIDS patients, it was an inevitably fatal disease. The medical researchers were doing their thing, and eventually made AIDS a manageable disease, but that was a long time coming. I was "there" when the stigma of AIDS was at its highest point, and I saw, and heard, and felt the difference in attitudes after Diana became involved. And I saw, and heard, and felt the gratitude of AIDS patients and their friends and loved ones and caregivers when the 'future Queen of England' made her poignant gestures.

Sadly, those I cared about did die before a 'cure' or disease management plan was developed. But I/we appreciated what Diana did all those years ago when there was no hope. It was no small thing that she did.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think as far as history goes, the average person taking mandatory history classes in school will see Diana, Princess of Wales as data he needs to remember for next Friday's test and then is filed into the far recesses of his mind.
Only in England.

Quote:
There will always be a sector interested in her probably. I'm sure there is quite a bit published out there about Constantine the Great but it is not knowledge the average Joe seeks out. As the years roll by, the general interest in Diana will fade.
And there you have hit on it: it was Constantine's mother, the Empress Helena, who was one of the prime movers and shakers of her time (the power behind the throne), setting in motion the structures and doctrines of the Early Medieval Church. The fickleness of history: we hear plenty about Constantine, not so much about Helena. Most people would be startled to realize her impact. Diana comes no where close to being on the scale of Helena, who is indeed a footnote and yet had far more substance in her lived-life's impact on history than Diana.

History is littered with such personages like Helena, far more worthy of note than anyone like Diana. I know those who love her and have some pride wrapped up in her memory, wanting her to be significant to history but she won't be. Only to the social historian and even then it's dicey. Had Diana pulled down the British Monarchy, for sure she would be an historical footnote of some significance, if not an historical figure in her own right. As it stands, sadly, Madonna has had more social impact from the 1980's than did the very conservative Diana. Again, it's Diana's relationship to Charles, as his first wife and the domestic scandals attendant upon her as mother of the heir, that will always bring her forward.

Camilla will also, to assuage those who feel this is a contest, be a footnote to history, as the second wife of Charles and one of the Queens of England. Camilla will be in that list. Camilla will be a footnote in terms of importance but she will definitely be there as a personage in the roll call of English monarchs, assuming all proceeds as expected. IMHO.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

History is littered with such personages like Helena, far more worthy of note than anyone like Diana. I know those who love her and have some pride wrapped up in her memory, wanting her to be significant to history but she won't be. Only to the social historian and even then it's dicey. Had Diana pulled down the British Monarchy, for sure she would be an historical footnote of some significance, if not an historical figure in her own right. As it stands, sadly, Madonna has had more social impact from the 1980's than did the very conservative Diana. Again, it's Diana's relationship to Charles, as his first wife and the domestic scandals attendant upon her as mother of the heir, that will always bring her forward.
When you really think about it, Oliver Cromwell did bring down the British monarchy and other than scholarly, there's not that much interest in him either.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oliver Cromwell was not a knockout dresser and good looking. His face was not on millions of pieces of paper all over the world. There was no internet where his image could live forever. And he lived in a time where documentation which is visual, not that that mattered, was rife. She will be remember for many trite things, but that seems to be today's way and for many good things and the Mother of a King.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

When was the last time a new book was written about Diana? No one is writing new books about Queen Alexandria, Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth the QM. Even the Queen, had some new books written for the diamond jubilee but it is not a yearly event. There probably some after the Queen dies and maybe a new book about Charles then.

Thanks to historical fiction the Tudors remain popular and now it's the War of the Roses Kings & Queen that are being written about.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
When was the last time a new book was written about Diana? No one is writing new books about Queen Alexandria, Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth the QM. Even the Queen, had some new books written for the diamond jubilee but it is not a yearly event. There probably some after the Queen dies and maybe a new book about Charles then.

Thanks to historical fiction the Tudors remain popular and now it's the War of the Roses Kings & Queen that are being written about.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

April 2014 for Diana (according to an Amazon search). Amazon also has two books with 2012 release dates on the Queen Mother.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The future Queen Camilla (or Princess Dowager Camilla) isn't consort to a King yet. If the Queen lives another ten years Charles's tenure on the throne may be very brief. Then William, the child of Charles and Diana, will be monarch.
No kiddin', Sherlock.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. When William becomes king, Diana will have been dead at least 2 decades, William's father will be dead, Camilla will have been married to Charles longer than William's mother was married to him and Diana will be a footnote in writings about the late king (Charles).

People who are interested in the BRF will read about Diana, and look at the photos of her walking around land mines and they will listen to the tapes of her berating the family that made it possible for her to go from a minor noble to the lady in the land mines. She is now just a memory, to her fans and most probably to her children. Kind of like Elvis. All his fans (incl. me) tried to keep him alive after his death and it didn't work. As fabulous a person as was King Hussein of Jordan, he is fading from memory, too. His wife is still around and she reminds those of us who were fond of the late king, that he was here.

Diana's the same. She's gone, there is no more to write about her, no more tapes, etc. There is only what was and most of that was superficial, just as the current working royal family does is superficial.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, Diana has been dead for 17 years now, and people still remember her and are debating her legacy. In fact there are over 60 pages on this one thread doing just that. As Ish has pointed out there was a new book out about Diana this year. I also doubt that she is a fading memory to her children.

I was just pointing out that nothing in the future is certain. Just as Diana was once regarded as a future Queen Consort so is Camilla now. However, there is no guarantee that anyone can give that Charles will outlive his mother. I'm certainly hoping he does do so, but nobody knows what is going to happen. If he doesn't come to the throne then Camilla will remain Duchess of Cornwall and a very minor footnote indeed.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Royal Highness

And if William predeceases his father, Diana becomes an extremely minor footnote.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

She will still be the progenitor of monarchs.

Her lineage won't be the only reason that she will be dissected for millennia to come however. She will be a figure of note because of the angst she caused within the family and the nation.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 AM
Royal Highness

The longer between her death and William becoming King, the less people will associate William with Diana.

William is no longer a child. He has another woman in his life, Catherine. The focus will be on his wife and children rather than his mother.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She will still be the progenitor of monarchs.

Her lineage won't be the only reason that she will be dissected for millennia to come however. She will be a figure of note because of the angst she caused within the family and the nation.

I think she'll also always be an iconic pop culture figure and her work will always be highlighted in the history of AIDs research.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-15-2014, 04:43 AM
Majesty

I doubt people still connect AIDS to a Princess somewere in the 1990's. Even knowledge how deadly AIDS once was (compare it with Ebola) is faded away from collective memory.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I doubt people still connect AIDS to a Princess somewere in the 1990's. Even knowledge how deadly AIDS once was (compare it with Ebola) is faded away from collective memory.
I didn't realize Diana had a connection to Aids, so that probably illustrates this
Old 11-15-2014, 05:57 AM
Royal Highness

I too never associate AIDS and Diana.

The first time I heard/read of her connection was from forum posters within the past 2 years.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I too never associate AIDS and Diana.

The first time I heard/read of her connection was from forum posters within the past 2 years.
Diana was ONE of the first noteworthy people to touch someone with HIV/AIDS. And this was a big deal at the time because not much was known about the disease and many were afraid that you could get it by touching an infected person. She wasn't the first and only but she was public figure and such a small gesture helped a lot.

I think there is some confusion about the legacy of well known figures or how they will be remembered in the future. It's worth nothing that NOT all historical figures are equal.

For some she might be a quick answer on a history test, or a passing mention in discussion about the BRF. For others she might be someone that they take a general interest in as they discuss her role in the BRF, the eternal triangle and whether or not she isn't a saint or sinner.The very fact we are discussing how someone who died 17 years ago but will be remembered in the future, tells me that Diana is a controversial subject that may be debated for years to come.

Aren't we still talking about the likes of Lincoln, Churchill and Kennedy. Okay...Diana certainly in their class in term of historical importance BUT Isn't Elvis remembered more than 25 years after his death? And not just by fans? Don't we still talk about Marilyn Monroe when previously undiscovered pictures are published? Will it by the mass hysteria that accompanied Diana's life and death? Of course not, I doubt that anything will reach that again. But she will be remembered, even if its just a footnote as the mother of a King and a grandmother of a King/Queen. The interest in the Diana might not be same as an American President or British Prime Minister or a British King, but there might be some interest in her.

She is forever connected with the Queen, Charles, William, Harry and the of the BRF. She will be mentioned with Charles and William become King and when they die. If William and Harry have daughters, and if ONE of them has a passing resemblance to Diana, it will be pointed out by the press just as the press does know when they make reference to current members of the BRF who resemble deceased family remembers (Prince Michael of Kent/Nicholas II, Lady Louise Wessex/a young Princess Elizabeth of York, etc.).

Many of us here at TRF have an interest in royalty. Mine began when I learned about Henry VIII and I read everything I could about him in the old fashioned encyclopedia...this was before the internet and even before Charles married Diana. The renewed interest in the Tudors as well as the many books written about Henry VII, Henry VIII, Mary, Elizabeth I and others have happened a good 450 years AFTER they lived. But they also lived in a time when you had to fight to survive and live through severe court intrigue, and were absolute rulers. So of course they can't be compared to Diana. Only Anne Bolyen can (mother of a future ruler) and yet many (us at TRF, authors, historians, etc.) are still talking about her.

As previously pointed out there is continued interest in the Tudors, War of the Roses, Marie Antoinette and the Windsors. Who would have thought that there would still be interest these people many many years later? Whose to say that 50 to 100 years from now...there will not be a renewed interest of Diana, Princess of Wales. Someone somewhere might feel the need to look for a new angle, and reshash (the very good and the very bad) everything we have been talking about for the past 10 years.

In conclusion, I wouldn't write her off just yet. There might be a budding historian or author, who following the death of King William V (Not that I am wishing harm on William).....and while people are discussing his legacy learns about his late mother, Diana. In the past, she was just something briefly mentioned in passing. This budding writer/historian was born a good 50 after Diana's death and decided to focus Diana's life/death and how it played a part in William's reign. And its all at their finger tips.

Anything is possible but many of us might not be around to see it. Cause that is just life.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Nobility

I've very much associate Diana with the fight against AIDS. The picture of her holding the little black baby with AIDS is iconic. It move me at the time and it is an image that I will never forget. I think she set a new standard for young celebrities to use their popularity promote serious causes. Angelina Jolie and others have said that they found their inspiration in Princess Diana.

So although the divorce proceedings were very negative and may have taken away from her image at the time, I think her long-term legacy is going to be her use of her celebrity for good. I'm not saying that she was an AIDS researcher but sometimes a picture or a celebrity saying something ( e.g. Elizabeth Taylor) can draw attention and money to an important cause.

I also think her legacy is her sons. Harry definitely seems to get the point about using a celebrity and popularity for the good. Finally, I think another aspect of her legacy is that she did change the way that the British royal family relates to the media. Although Prince Charles despises the intrusions by the media it is also clear that he has caught on to how to use the media and celebrities to promote his causes.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana