The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
George being POW or William being King?

For something to go amiss with Charles.

William will, in time, likely be PoW and King. As will George: but I wouldn't wish for something to happen to Charles.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
George being POW or William being King?
I would have though that the comment 'something going amiss with Charles' - the first part of the quote is what Ish was referring to.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
This is true...

To me, the "footnotes" are the people who are mostly forgotten. The ones who aren't studied at all - the ones who only come up in a sentence or two when dealing with another topic or person. So... in my opinion, the British royals alive today that will be "footnotes" are the Gloucesters, Kents, Phillips, and York and Wessex children. They're people who aren't likely to ever be studied themselves and will only come up in studies of their parents, grandparents, or the Queen. Diana, in contrast, might not have any more of a lasting impact than the Queen's cousins or most of her grandchildren, but she's a figure who's going to be studied in her own right and along with her ex-husband and his second wife. The scandal of her marriage may not have had any lasting impact - and beyond whatever impact it has on Charles, Camilla, William, and Harry, I don't think it has any significant lasting impact - but it's something that has captivated the imaginations of people and as such has, in my opinion, ensured her legacy. She'll be studied by academics because of her marriage, not her impact. She'll be remembered in pop culture for the same reason.

Consider... Madame du Barry. She was a mistress of Louis XV and was not herself a significant character - she had no interest in politics, didn't birth an heir, etc. She had no lasting impact outside of her life. Yet we still remember her and people still study her - Wikipedia lists sources on her as recent as 2005. History continues to care about who she was not because of anything that she achieved but rather... well, because of who she "did". I think that's the kind of legacy that Diana will have. It's not about the things that she did that changed the world or impacted a significant number of lives, but how she captivated the attention of people.
I agree with you given this definition, although I wouldn't use this as a definition myself. It is undeniable that Diana's incredible popularity will inspire study for a long time. It is remarkable that people feel so strongly about her.

Diana did some great work publicizing AIDS, but ultimately it was the work of hundreds of medical researchers that truly changed the lives of AIDS patients. The average nurse probably provides more comfort and assistance to more people in six months than Diana did throughout her lifetime. But none of that matters. People were, and are, fascinated by her and that phenomenon will probably interest academics for years to come.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
For something to go amiss with Charles.

William will, in time, likely be PoW and King. As will George: but I wouldn't wish for something to happen to Charles.
Kitty Atlanta said should something go amiss with CHarles. I was just replying.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Should something go amiss with Charles, then King William will have George invested as POW. :-)
Goes without saying.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

eBay would indicate that Diana's importance to those who collected her memorabilia are now letting them go. There are over 18,000 items in the U.S. listings. She was important when the items were purchased, but not so much now.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

The Princess's legacy is now negligable.. my nieces and nephews [in their 20s] haven't a clue who she was [not even that she was William & Harry's mother, altho' they do know who the Princes are].

To people over 40 she is a face, and a name.. principally remembered for the extraordinary hoo-ha surrounding her death, and [less so] for the messy and acrimonious divorce.

So.. 'sic transit gloria mundi'...
Old 10-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Kitty Atlanta said should something go amiss with CHarles. I was just replying.
That is true. Point still remains; let's not wish it on him.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I just don't think that Diana will be a footnote or forgotten. She will be remembered among those who worked for her charities and those who followed her through magazines.
She will come up whenever the history of popular culture in the late 20th century is studied, and in documentaries of the times. Diana will certainly be more than a footnote to those who write about British royalty, whether generally or about a specific royal, Elizabeth, Charles, William, Harry.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I just don't think that Diana will be a footnote or forgotten. She will be remembered among those who worked for her charities and those who followed her through magazines.
She will come up whenever the history of popular culture in the late 20th century is studied, and in documentaries of the times. Diana will certainly be more than a footnote to those who write about British royalty, whether generally or about a specific royal, Elizabeth, Charles, William, Harry.
For most that is a 'footnote'.

I would say Wallis Simpson is a footnote in history, too, although she caused a king to abdicate.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

To me, the footnote on the family tree is where it says 'married 2nd Camilla Shand Parker-Bowles No issue'. As long as one is the mother of a king, one never is the footnote.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
To me, the footnote on the family tree is where it says 'married 2nd Camilla Shand Parker-Bowles No issue'. As long as one is the mother of a king, one never is the footnote.
Camilla will be Queen. She will be the same 'footnote' as Prince Philip. IMO.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

No. Prince Philip is the parent and grandparent of future kings. Camilla is NOT. Hardly the same.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

But Philip is only a consort, even if he is the father of a future king. In my opinion it is the consort's personality and their deeds and achievements during their lifetime that makes them memorable or forgettable, not the mere fact they sired/bore a child.

I don't think either Diana or Camilla will be mere footnotes. Diana performed her job well while she was Princess of Wales, and Camilla is performing hers well now and will continue to do so when she becomes Queen Consort, however her position is officially described when that time comes. As wife of a king she will never be a mere footnote.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

My point is if one is the parent of the future sovereign, one is never a footnote. One will be in every history book. If one is the later spouse and has not, for whatever reason, produced a child, for the purposes of a royal historian, one is historically superfluous. Just MHO, of course.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No. Prince Philip is the parent and grandparent of future kings. Camilla is NOT. Hardly the same.
I meant as a spouse of the reigning monarch. We tend to forget the spouses, they are footnotes. Though Prince Albert is an exception. There are others. When it comes to that, Diana will be the mother, which matters, of course, and Camilla will have been Queen. Surely you see that?

At any rate, it's not an area I am concerned with, certainly not enough to quarrel about. Hope you feel the same. I am aware that 'footnote' is a moveable marker. It's not a bad thing to be a footnote in history. It's something. I think it's meant as at least something, but not as much as our pride and hubris while alive would have it be so. Most of us have nothing in that regard, after all, but that is okay, too. Perhaps better in some ways.

"The growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs." - George Eliot, Middlemarch
Old 10-25-2014, 03:05 AM
Royal Highness

A long term spouse is more important than a parent, especially when the parent died when the person was 15.

Catherine has been in William's life for 11 years.

We know more about Prince Albert than we do of Queen Victoria's mother even though Queen Victoria's mother also died in 1861. Victoria was married only 21 years, yet in all biographies of her Albert plays a significant role, her mother does not.

I know it is hard for some people to admit but Diana has no historical importance.

She was a mere footnote in William Shawcross biography of the Queen Mother.

She will continue to be just a footnote if she is even mentioned.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

The future Queen Camilla (or Princess Dowager Camilla) isn't consort to a King yet. If the Queen lives another ten years Charles's tenure on the throne may be very brief. Then William, the child of Charles and Diana, will be monarch.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

And if Charles lives as long as his mother, he may have at least 20 years or more on the throne with Camilla by his side as Queen Consort.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

We shall see, or some of us will! At the end though it will be Diana's blood that will be in the future Royal family, not Camilla's.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana