The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The interest is already tied down. The times that only the name Diana on a cover or on a movie poster was enough to hit the bestsellers or blockbusters lists are behind us.
I certainly do not see big crowds at the Diana memorial fountains.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I certainly do not see big crowds at the Diana memorial fountains.
The Diana movie with Naomi Watts was a flop even. For the youngsters of our time "Diana" is already history. It is possible that "Wallis" will remain more in the history books, since a King once abdicated for her, than "Diana" whom, in essence, will be a footnote as the first wife of Charles and the mother of the two Princes.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Majesty

I'm not sure that I agree with that assessment, Duc_et_Pair. I think she'll be remembered for the upheaval she caused the BRF in the 90's, even if not for her more positive attributes. She'll also be remembered for being the mother of royal line, even though she was never Queen Consort, and that makes her part of history.

This is true. It would take something of historical value to make the serious news now--like if she was secretly spying for the Russians or something.

Quote:
The interest is already tied down. The times that only the name Diana on a cover or on a movie poster was enough to hit the bestsellers or blockbusters lists are behind us.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The Diana movie with Naomi Watts was a flop even. For the youngsters of our time "Diana" is already history. It is possible that "Wallis" will remain more in the history books, since a King once abdicated for her, than "Diana" whom, in essence, will be a footnote as the first wife of Charles and the mother of the two Princes.

The whole "Diana (or Camilla) will be a footnote in history books" statement always makes me cringe.

This is not how history books work. History books focus on a subject and discuss it. They tend not to relegate people into the footnotes unless they only played a very minor part in whatever the subject is, but even then they're more likely to not be mentioned at all than simply put into a footnote.

If a history book is written on the history of the British Crown, comparable to say David Starkey's Crown and Country or Mike Ashley's British Kings and Queens then many consorts will only have a brief note on them - Queen Anne's husband, Prince George of Denmark, for example, doesn't tend to make a big splash in such texts. This is because the overall role that the consorts played isn't necessarily a big one in regards to the historical narrative. George of Denmark didn't have a huge role in an overarching history of Britain. Some consorts, however, are rather noted because they did play a big role - Eleanor of Aquitaine, Elizabeth of York, Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Wallis Simpson, etc. These consorts are focused on a lot in such history texts, and really it's very likely that both Diana and Camilla will receive a similar amount of focus as Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. Their roles, their shared history, is one that changed the monarchy.

If a history book is written even more narrowly about Charles himself, then neither Diana nor Camilla will be in the footnotes. If it's about pop culture or major events the 80s or 90s, both women stand to be mentioned, especially Diana. There was an American program not too long ago called "The 90s: The Last Great Decade" that spent time focusing on both the divorce and Diana's death.

Historic figures aren't simply relegated to the footnotes. At least not outside of a high school textbook which deals with everything in such broad strokes that it's impossible to note relegate important things into the footnotes.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Diana is an historical figure from the British royal family. She was a famous princess known all over the world and her personal assets historical as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt Diana will be relegated to a footnote. Almost anytime the Royals are mentioned on tv or in books (even biographies about the Queen etc) Diana has a good portion of print.

One cannot mention William and Harry without thinking of their mother.

LaRae
Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

We have seen with the exhibits for the summer openings for BP that the royal collection has a vast and varied amount of stuff. I would think that William and Harry would turn the stuff returned from Althorp over to the royal collection for preservation and part of a future display.

Diana's wedding dress maybe in special need of care since its being globe trotting the world for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Royal Highness

If William becomes King, then Diana will be remembered in much the same way as Queen Victoria's mother.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I doubt Diana will be relegated to a footnote. Almost anytime the Royals are mentioned on tv or in books (even biographies about the Queen etc) Diana has a good portion of print.

One cannot mention William and Harry without thinking of their mother.

LaRae
Yep. Diana definitely won't be a footnote. Love her or hate her, it can't be denied that she made a big impact. Some of it through her charity work and some of it through her (and Charles') tabloid antics.

I would say the same for Camilla. I don't see her relegated to just a footnote.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
If William becomes King, then Diana will be remembered in much the same way as Queen Victoria's mother.
However I do believe that William and Harry were allowed to sleep in their own rooms and to walk downstairs by themselves.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Is Queen Victoria's mother remembered by anyone besides historians of the earlier Victorian period? She wasn't much known by the public at the time, just as the rather reclusive foreign widow of one of King George III's sons, whose daughter had became Queen. She led a very quiet life in her old age, unlike the glamorous Diana who died while still young and beautiful in a very shocking and sudden way.

When the history of Elizabeth II is discussed and written about in the future Diana's role in the royal family will be more than a footnote. Certainly if Charles III has a notable reign and biographies are published, she will be discussed.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Royal Highness

Victoria died in 1901. A hundred years later very few people can name her mother.

A hundred years after William's death very few people will be able to name his mother.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

How many books have been written about Queen Victoria's mother though? Diana has graced thousands of magazine covers and had hundreds of books and articles written about her. I don't think you can compare the two.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Royal Highness

All these books and magazines are out of date and will no longer be available 100 years after William's death.

If William lives to be 80-90, a hundred year later will be 2162-2172. That is same as trying to locate a magazine or book printed in the 1850s or 1860s.

Today, in most libraries, you would rarely find a book printed prior to 1970. In 30 years, most books and magazine about Diana would have been destroyed.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

It's not about whether or not the magazine/books will be available in 100 years. I'm talking about the impact she made on the world (and the BRF). Diana's popularity was huge - even now magazines with her face sell. You can't compare her legacy to Queen Victoria's mom.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:35 AM
Royal Highness

Diana did not have an impact on the world.

She was known but that is not the same as having an impact.

She was popular.

Queen Victoria's mother was not crowned Queen. Diana was never crowned Queen.

Edward VII's mother was a Queen, Queen Victoria.
George V's mother was a Queen, Queen Alexandra.
Edward VIII's mother was Queen, Queen Mary.
George VI's mother was a Queen, Queen Mary.
Elizabeth II's mother was a Queen, Queen Elizabeth.
Charles III or George VII's aka current Prince of Wales' mother is Queen Elizabeth.
William's mother was never Queen.

Comparing Victoria's mother to William's mother is accurate.

Queen Victoria's mother has been dead 153 years. William's mother has been dead 17.

In 2150, William's mother would have been dead 153 years and her "popularity" and magazine covers from the 1980-1990s would not matter.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Diana did have an impact and in no way think her legacy can be compared to Victoria's mother. I don't see Diana being a footnote.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Diana did not have an impact on the world.

She was known but that is not the same as having an impact.

She was popular.

Queen Victoria's mother was not crowned Queen. Diana was never crowned Queen.

Edward VII's mother was a Queen, Queen Victoria.
George V's mother was a Queen, Queen Alexandra.
Edward VIII's mother was Queen, Queen Mary.
George VI's mother was a Queen, Queen Mary.
Elizabeth II's mother was a Queen, Queen Elizabeth.
Charles III or George VII's aka current Prince of Wales' mother is Queen Elizabeth.
William's mother was never Queen.

Comparing Victoria's mother to William's mother is accurate.

Queen Victoria's mother has been dead 153 years. William's mother has been dead 17.

In 2150, William's mother would have been dead 153 years and her "popularity" and magazine covers from the 1980-1990s would not matter.
No, it is not accurate to say that Diana is comparable to Queen Victoria's mother (whose name was also Victoria).

First of all, there is no individual in British history who is comparable to Diana. The closest consort would be, in my opinion, Catherine of Aragon, first wife of Henry VIII. There are many other consorts who had to deal with their husbands' cheating ways, and several others who were married to the heir but died before ever becoming Queen or whose husbands died without becoming King, but these circumstances don't necessarily mean that their situations were really comparable to Diana's.

The Duchess of Kent was never the wife of the heir. She was never particularly high up in the line of succession - at the time of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent's death he had 3 living elder brothers and his father was still alive. It was clear for a good long while that it was very likely that Victoria would be Queen, but it was never a given that the Duchess of Kent would be Queen. In comparison, Diana was from the moment she said "I do" until the moment her divorce went through the woman married to the heir apparent. In that regards, it makes her more comparable to someone like Joan of Kent or Augusta of Saxe-Gotha - two women were were married to the heir apparents (Edward, the Black Prince, and Frederick, Prince of Wales, respectively) than the Duchess of Kent.

That said, even assuming that the two women were of comparable situations and we should assume that in 100-150 years time Diana will be remembered the same as the Duchess of Kent now is, the Duchess of Kent has not been, as you keep on insisting, relegated to the footnotes of history. The fact that we're talking about her right now at all is proof that she's not simply a footnote. Does Joe Average know who she is? No, probably not. That means jack all. Joe Average probably can't name most of the consorts of British history, at least not beyond the really infamous ones like Anne Boleyn and Wallis Simpson - which, personally, I would argue that Diana is going to be remembered more on that kind of level, because her marriage was one of scandal. Just because Joe Average can't name a person of historic importance doesn't mean said person is relegated to the footnotes of history - it means that Joe Average doesn't know history.

I have a degree in history and have spent a lot of time studying Canadian history and the history of the English/British crown. I will be the first person to admit that I can't name every Prime Minister of Canada or every English/British consort. Does that mean that the ones I don't know are individuals who have been relegated to the footnotes of history? No. It means that I have a gap in my knowledge base - the fact that I can, in a couple of seconds, find on the internet a list of every PM or every English consort means that these people haven't been relegated to the footnotes of history.

Also, I really wonder what kind of libraries you're entering if they don't have books that are older than 30 years. First of all, even if they don't have books that were printed older than that, they'd still have newer prints of books that are older than 30 years. Second of all, while many public libraries may not have editions of books that were printed more than 30 years ago (although, again, they would have newer editions of books that were first printed more than 30 years ago) any university library is going to have books that are that old, if not older. Any university or museum or archive is going to have books and magazines that are older than this. Thirty years from now, any online database is going to have magazine and news articles that are older than 30 years - and I don't simply mean the search engines like Google, I mean actual academic databases. These books and articles aren't simply destroyed.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Heir Apparent

There are points of similarity between the marriage of Diana and Charles and the Prince Regent and his wife Caroline of Brunswick. Not in terms of personality of course, but Caroline was as popular with the British public in her time as Diana was in hers. The Prince tried to divorce her, and she died shortly after George IV ascended the throne. The media maintained a huge interest in the couple's quarrels.

Is Caroline a footnote in history? Not as far as biographers of George IV are concerned.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't think the interest will die down though. William & Harry may do something with the collections at some point in the future in memory of their mother. As we have seen with other royal historical artifacts.
Well, I'll have passed on by that time. I don't see a display of anything Diana until after Charles and Camilla are both gone. William may do something, but until he's in charge, I think not.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana