The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1141  
Old 09-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,234
I agree. The celebrity obsession that we currently have started, I believe as well, in the 80s. Diana was there at the right (wrong?) time and place. Given her insecurities as well as her personal gifts ('the way she lit up people's lives'), it was almost inevitable that she'd get caught up in the celebrity-media vortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Media and news changed in Diana's time. The 80s drastically changed how people interact with news and celebrities, and with time Royals began to be viewed in more of a celebrity light, especially when viewed by US news sources. Diana certainly learned how to work this to her advantage and made the best of it - and in the end had it turn on her - but she didn't create it. It's possible that the way we view royals now wouldn't have happened had Diana not had the understanding of the media that she did - she really did play with and manipulate the press and public opinion - but we can't say. It may have very well happened with or without her just because of how the media was changing at the time. It may not have. This whole thing is definitely a legacy of Diana, but it didn't start with her.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1142  
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,290
'Our mother would be proud': Princes William and Harry honour those given the Diana Award-
Princes William and Harry pay tribute to Princess Diana Award | Royal | News | Daily Express

It's very nice for them to honor their late mother and the charity. I just wished William & Harry were more involved with the awards and shine more light on it. I see what has been done with the Princess Grace Foundation and how the royal family is involved with the awards, I think that too could be done with the Diana Awards.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #1143  
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,234
It's good that there's an award in Diana's name and that William and Harry were involved with the anniversary book that was produced. It would be nice to see one of them make a presentation some time--perhaps for truly outstanding public work--as Prince Edward has done for years with the Duke of Edinburgh awards.
Reply With Quote
  #1144  
Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 AM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,358
The difference between Edward's involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and William and Harry's involvement in the Diana Awards is that the DofE is an award system initiated by the Duke of Edinburgh himself and in the UK is a royal charter corporation. Edward's involvement is largely because he's expected to become the next Duke of Edinburgh. The Diana Awards, however, are a memorial awards that were initiated by people not necessarily connected to Diana after her death. It's not a royal award like the DofE and doesn't have (or doesn't seem to have) any royal patronage. I think if William and Harry were to be involved with an award in the same level as Edward is involved with the DofE that happens to be named for Diana I'd almost rather it be one that they themselves had conceived (or that Diana had conceived). Their work with charities that Diana was actually involved with seems to me to be a better way to pay tribute to her than to be involved with the Diana Awards.
Reply With Quote
  #1145  
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,223
And William is involved with some of her patronages- Centerpoint, and the Royal Marsden Hospital.
__________________
Best. Photo. Ever. My RH exactly as he was. Soon after we met- Exactly the same look . At Westminster Abbey on his 90th birthday meeting HM. Another day at the office.
https://www.youcaring.com/dariashevc...rechild-755595
Reply With Quote
  #1146  
Old 10-16-2014, 02:33 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The difference between Edward's involvement in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and William and Harry's involvement in the Diana Awards is that the DofE is an award system initiated by the Duke of Edinburgh himself and in the UK is a royal charter corporation. Edward's involvement is largely because he's expected to become the next Duke of Edinburgh. The Diana Awards, however, are a memorial awards that were initiated by people not necessarily connected to Diana after her death. It's not a royal award like the DofE and doesn't have (or doesn't seem to have) any royal patronage. I think if William and Harry were to be involved with an award in the same level as Edward is involved with the DofE that happens to be named for Diana I'd almost rather it be one that they themselves had conceived (or that Diana had conceived). Their work with charities that Diana was actually involved with seems to me to be a better way to pay tribute to her than to be involved with the Diana Awards.

It's great that William & Harry support some of their mother's charities and pay tribute to her in that way but I think it would be brilliant if they established a new charitable foundation in her name and become active in the foundation. The Royal Foundation of The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are now the legal owner of the memorial fund. I think they could possibly rehab the fund and establish a foundation and awards programme. I think they could take everything to a whole new level.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #1147  
Old 10-16-2014, 02:35 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,223
And I agree.
__________________
Best. Photo. Ever. My RH exactly as he was. Soon after we met- Exactly the same look . At Westminster Abbey on his 90th birthday meeting HM. Another day at the office.
https://www.youcaring.com/dariashevc...rechild-755595
Reply With Quote
  #1148  
Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
And I agree.
I know they are busy with their own foundation but I'm wondering if William & Harry ever thought about a royal foundation in their mother's name. I know it touches them that the Diana Awards is the only charity that bears their mother's name. I know I've been thinking about a Diana, Princess of Wales Foundation for years.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #1149  
Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM
roseroyal's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rose Bush, United States
Posts: 5,223
That makes 2 of us!
__________________
Best. Photo. Ever. My RH exactly as he was. Soon after we met- Exactly the same look . At Westminster Abbey on his 90th birthday meeting HM. Another day at the office.
https://www.youcaring.com/dariashevc...rechild-755595
Reply With Quote
  #1150  
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,234
I don't expect to see a charity set up in Diana's name now. They usually are created while a person is alive or soon after her death. The latter was the case with the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund (which was wound up) and the Diana Awards. There is a generation of people now who weren't alive or aren't old enough to remember when she was with us. It's hard to believe her death was that long ago, but it's true.
Reply With Quote
  #1151  
Old 10-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't expect to see a charity set up in Diana's name now. They usually are created while a person is alive or soon after her death. The latter was the case with the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fund (which was wound up) and the Diana Awards. There is a generation of people now who weren't alive or aren't old enough to remember when she was with us. It's hard to believe her death was that long ago, but it's true.
I have no doubt that Diana would've setup a charitable trust in her name if she was alive today. I think her interest was vast and would've grown over time. I think she was on her way to doing some amazing things before she unexpectedly and tragically died. She truly cared about cancer, aids, landmines victims and she had a major love for the arts. I think an established royal foundation in her name would not only continue on her work in helping others and sick children but it would help teach the new generation about who she was, the humanitarian work she did while she was alive and why it's important to keep her legacy and work alive.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #1152  
Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,069
I'm re-reading Bradford's Diana, purely because I came across it in the recorded book bio section of my library. It's been helpful to reach back in time and remember some of the things that happened in her life and the order in which they occurred. I had forgotten how long they were separated, for example. There are many other examples of what I have forgotten, or remembered in error!
And it's making me think anew about where she might be today, given where she was headed in the last two years of her life. Just as important (and a bit off topic), it has been remarkable to compare the Bradford 2006 Charles and Camilla to the people they seem to have become today. It's fascinating!
I'd just encourage anyone who is at all curious, to go back and pick up one of the Di bios for a re-read. It is an eye opener.
__________________
"And the tabloid press will be a pain in the ass, as usual." - Royal Norway
Reply With Quote
  #1153  
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I have no doubt that Diana would've setup a charitable trust in her name if she was alive today. I think her interest was vast and would've grown over time. I think she was on her way to doing some amazing things before she unexpectedly and tragically died. She truly cared about cancer, aids, landmines victims and she had a major love for the arts. I think an established royal foundation in her name would not only continue on her work in helping others and sick children but it would help teach the new generation about who she was, the humanitarian work she did while she was alive and why it's important to keep her legacy and work alive.

I donno. Diana didn't start any organizations in her name during her lifetime, while she certainly had the time to do so. I think Diana was happy to be involved with charities and to lend her image to them, but didn't need them to be in her name.
Reply With Quote
  #1154  
Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 6,234
I'd read in a couple of biographies that she wanted to start a Princess of Wales Trust but was told that it would conflict with the Prince of Wales Trust. That would have been while she was still married.

Sarah Bradford and Tina Brown's are the most reliable IMO. They both had access to people who were in her circle as well as the people whom she helped. I also like the way that both of these writers talk about the background of the Spencers and how they and the old British aristocracy viewed the Royal Family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'd just encourage anyone who is at all curious, to go back and pick up one of the Di bios for a re-read. It is an eye opener.
Reply With Quote
  #1155  
Old 10-20-2014, 11:52 AM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 3,126
Until a couple of hours ago, I was unaware that the Althorpe Exhibit of Diana's things had been dismantled and the items returned to W & H in August of this year (the article is dated 2013). Did this happen?. BBC News - Princess Diana: Althorp House exhibition to close

This exhibit included her wedding gown. I wonder what will become of them.

When the artifacts start to disappear, so does the interest of the public.
__________________
Yes, I said it. No, I won't apologize. Yes, I will say it again.
Reply With Quote
  #1156  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:04 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Until a couple of hours ago, I was unaware that the Althorpe Exhibit of Diana's things had been dismantled and the items returned to W & H in August of this year (the article is dated 2013). Did this happen?. BBC News - Princess Diana: Althorp House exhibition to close

This exhibit included her wedding gown. I wonder what will become of them.

When the artifacts start to disappear, so does the interest of the public.
Yes,
The award winning Diana: A Celebration exhibition closed in August 2013 at Althorp - See more at: Visiting Althorp » Spencer of Althorp

The items that belonged to Diana was returned to William & Harry. I'm guessing that everything has been returned to the Royal Collection and the items will be on official display at some point in the future.

The Touring exhibition also closed in August of this year.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #1157  
Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 5,570
I would think they would belong to the boys (her wedding gown etc) and if they have them/want to keep this stuff they will use or store whatever it is...or perhaps donate some things even.


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #1158  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:21 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
When the artifacts start to disappear, so does the interest of the public.
And as some might argue, about bl88dy time!
Reply With Quote
  #1159  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 13,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
And as some might argue, about bl88dy time!
I don't think the interest will die down though. William & Harry may do something with the collections at some point in the future in memory of their mother. As we have seen with other royal historical artifacts.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #1160  
Old 10-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 7,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't think the interest will die down though. William & Harry may do something with the collections at some point in the future in memory of their mother. As we have seen with other royal historical artifacts.
The interest is already tied down. The times that only the name Diana on a cover or on a movie poster was enough to hit the bestsellers or blockbusters lists are behind us.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left Or Right-Handed Royals? Peggy Royal Life and Lifestyle 49 02-03-2016 02:34 AM
The Legacy of Elizabeth II vkrish Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh 21 12-18-2012 07:45 AM
Princess Grace's Legacy HMTLove23 Princely Family of Monaco 16 02-18-2011 06:15 AM




Popular Tags
affair best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events denmark duchess of cambridge style duke of cambridge dutch earl of snowdon fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king abdullah in australia king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news official visit picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family united kingdom victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises