The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Diana was a brilliant mother to William & Harry. Very hands on like their father and they were very loved by both. She may be gone but they carry on the love she gave them.

I don't think she was a brilliant mother. She wasn't even a good mother. She was an Okay mother. She couldn't control her symptoms and used her children to vent her emotional garbage. JMHO.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Courtier

I think Diana and Charles were both the best parents they knew HOW to be. it is very, very difficult being a parent, impossible to be a perfect parent. One thing, IMO, that I do not doubt is that both Charles and Diana really loved their two children. Maybe they did not always show this love in the best way possible at the time, but they loved their kids very much nonetheless. Just my 2 cents

Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

William & Harry knows that their parents were good parents and they don't have a problem telling everyone this.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

There are no perfect parents, and the people whose views matter most are the children themselves.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Diana, Princess of Wales paid with her life for the BRF to modernized.
Silly woman paid with her life because SHE DIDN'T FASTEN HER SEATBELT.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Diana didn't pay for anything in losing her life. Her life was taken away from her.

Death is not a cashier's check or a promissory note and most certainly not a punishment. Some would even say its a reward we work all our lives toward.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

William and Harry were largely raised by nannies and by the school masters/tutors/housemates. No doubt both Charles and Diana loved their sons but I think it is true to say the boys were unfairly used during the War of the Wales.
I think Dianas legacy is that she remains a very divisive figure.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

How anyone can describe Diana as a 'brilliant' mother is beyond me. She used, and emotionally abused, those boys and they are still suffering from that abuse today, particularly William. She encouraged them to not follow the rules e.g. taking Harry to a movie that was rated higher than his age - she snuck him in the side door but was found out and then tried to justify it as a 'birthday treat'. She publicly tried to destroy their father and the family that gave them a special status in the world in both book form as well as interview and lied to William about what she was going to say 'you will be proud of me' was what she told him - not 'I am going to trash your father and tell the world he isn't up to the job and you should be king next not him.'

Hardly 'brilliant' but adequate - all parents make mistakes in raising their kids and she made heaps of damaging mistakes that were also played out on the world stage - such as telling the press where she would be with them boys for a good photo op - and then she complained about the press and their coverage of them.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Courtier

I have to agree. She was a good mother for the fact that she loved her Sons but in no way was she Brilliant! That is a overstatement. She was not even close to Brilliant, She was far from brilliant And for the reasons that you listed above! On a Grade scale I would give Diana a B- at most.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

I doubt that either Harry or William is going to criticize either Diana or Charles publicly. Diana was a good mother, if not a very good mother for the boys when they were young. It was unfortunate that she fired their nanny when William was 4, but everyone makes mistakes. Although most people credit Diana for the decision to send the children to Eton, it was a joint decision with Charles.

Charles was a better parent when the kids were older, and certainly the better parent after the marriage broke down. Diana was NOT a good mother during the late 80s and into the 90s--and, no, Charles did not do exactly the same thing Diana did. It was terrible the way she treated William as a confident.

Good mothers wear their seatbelts--especially when racing down a street at twice the speed limit.

It will be interesting to see if George is sent to a boarding school. He will certainly be taken to amusement parks, movies and fast food places, as Diana and Charles (to a lesser extent) wanted.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To throw my two cents into the pot here, I'm going to go with the opinion that Diana and Charles were neither a good nor bad parents. What Diana and Charles aimed for was to be a different kind of a parent than what they experienced themselves at a young age.

When William and Harry were born, I think Diana and Charles both wanted to have more of a family environment and made a point to spend more time with their children such as story time, bath time, meals etc. No more of the "Children should be seen and not heard" and kept upstairs with the nannies, governesses and tutors and maybe paraded in to see mum and dad for an hour before they headed out to the theater or dinner party. Of course there were times when it was a necessity that either Diana or Charles or both would have full schedules, I think they both did the very best they could to put their children first and being actively involved in every part of their lives was a top priority.

They did turn out two remarkable young men that they can and should be very proud of.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny2 View Post
I don't think she was a brilliant mother. She wasn't even a good mother. She was an Okay mother. She couldn't control her symptoms and used her children to vent her emotional garbage. JMHO.
I disagree. People who are completely off the rails can be good parents. All it takes is a focus on loving the child and helping them grow and become the best people they can be. Diana did that. She had a vision for what her boys would need to be in 2010 forward - and she helped them become that vision.

Every parent messes up somehow. Thankfully children can let a lot of things flow by. As long as mom and dad help you be who you are not hurt others, find an inner self, be strong and know how to move forward - you can turn out just fine.

I like her boys and the proof in in the pudding, as they say.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles & Diana did the best they could and when Diana died, Charles went on to do a pretty good job as a single parent.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I disagree. People who are completely off the rails can be good parents. All it takes is a focus on loving the child and helping them grow and become the best people they can be. Diana did that...
Unfortunately that is exactly what Diana did not teach her children. The best parents teach by example, and Diana publicly hurt the children and their father. The children would not known about his affair with Camilla if Diana hadn't made sure they knew about it.

William and Harry did turn out well. Partly because of the base Diana and Charles established when they were very young. Also because they went off to boarding school and were (mostly) shielded from the day to day drama at Kensington Palace.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Charles & Diana did the best they could and when Diana died, Charles went on to do a pretty good job as a single parent.
That is considerably different than saying Diana was a "brilliant" mother.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Unfortunately that is exactly what Diana did not teach her children...
I simply dare you to find a parent who did not mark their children with parental failings. That's my point. Good parents try to fill the cup up enough that children succeed in life. Get that cup half full and a kid will be able to live a solid life.

I think we all see the positive and negative marks BOTH parents left on the boys. But the boys seem to be social successes - with weaknesses like all of us - but they are successes. Pudding.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

When I said Diana was a "brilliant" mother, I didn't mean she was the perfect and heavenly mother. I'm just saying she was a good mother. Charles was and still is a good father.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I simply dare you to find a parent who did not mark their children with parental failings...
I disagree that parents take 100% responsibility for how children turn out. William and Harry seem like fine young men. Diana did some things right, they felt loved and they weren't physically abused--but that doesn't mean that she was a great mother. There are many examples of children who had horrible childhoods who turned out well.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM

I wasent to aware of Diana growing up but I will share my story of how I came to know of her and her wonderful legacy.

At the age of 19 I became very ill, with a lot of pain throughout my body. I became depressed and I was in the hospital a whole lot and I often wondered, how much suffering is it going to take to get to a better place. I remember asking a nurse if she had any good ideas of reading material for me, so she went off and when she returned she had several print offs of Diana and her life, her suffering and her triumphs.

For some reason I related to her and in a way I knew that if a Beautiful woman like her could have everything and be so unhappy and battered and used, that I could make it somehow to. In a way she inspired me to keep strong and keep going, and still to this day I read about her and Collect things.

She was an amazing mom, wife, and princess. And I love the fact that she reached out to so many people, the ill, the poor, the homeless... What an amazing woman. I think a lot of women can relate to her suffering and learn from it as she did, and become strong. When she died the world certainly lost an amazing being and an Incredible Humanitarian. She will never be forgotten and her legacy will live on through many, even people who never met her. And of course we get to see her beautiful sons grow and now her grandchild George.

I am glad to have learned about a very strong and beautiful woman, who helped so many. and endured so much suffering.

Im also going to see the new movie DIANA with Naomi watts.

Rest in peace Diana.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmprelude View Post
I wasent to aware of Diana growing up but I will share my story of how I came to know of her and her wonderful legacy.
Thanks for sharing your personal story.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana