Diana's Legacy: What is left or what will be left?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Diana's legacy is that we are still discussing her? That says something about the impact she made and continues to make surely? She was human, good, bad, flawed, like us all?

Perhaps Diana's legacy is that we are still discussing her? That says something about the impact she made and continues to make surely? She was human, good, bad, flawed, like us all?

Totally spot on IMO. :flowers: I think it is even what Diana wanted: to be remembered and talked about for ever...

Thank you. I believe part of why she is remembered so much is those of us who did grow up with her found her to be part of our daily life. She was in the media especially the newspapers on a daily basis, not always for her royal engagements but on many occasions, yes for her work. That woman had a work ethic she took seriously and I am aware DOC is in a different position, she is not married to the heir to the throne.

Thank you. I believe part of why she is remembered so much is those of us who did grow up with her found her to be part of our daily life. She was in the media especially the newspapers on a daily basis, not always for her royal engagements but on many occasions, yes for her work. That woman had a work ethic she took seriously and I am aware DOC is in a different position, she is not married to the heir to the throne.

I remember too I was heart broken when she died. I still remember the shock of the news report ...accident .. Injured.. Then dead. Yes she wasn't perfect Nobody is !! I cried for her and her sons. As I have said before her boys show how much they loved and miss her all the time through words and actions. Every time Kate appears with Diana's ring on every photo that shows it speaks volumes

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Diana will live on in the hearts and memories of those who loved her and of those who admired her so much for the humanity she brought to royal life and royal duties. She won't be forgotten while those people live.

You're welcome, both of you. I liked the article very much.

I think that my experience was different from that of the other women. I identified with her more when she was a very young woman and less so once she was in her 30s. Perhaps if I had gone through a separation and divorce, I'd feel differently. Her experience mirrored what was becoming increasingly common throughout the 80s and 90s: marriage breakdown.

Yes, I agree. However, even with women whose experiences didn't mirror hers, a bond seemed to be forged. Other women did feel an emotional connection that was suddenly cut with her death. It was strange and I've never seen it happen before or since, certainly with no other Royal.

I think that my experience was different from that of the other women. I identified with her more when she was a very young woman and less so once she was in her 30s. Perhaps if I had gone through a separation and divorce, I'd feel differently. Her experience mirrored what was becoming increasingly common throughout the 80s and 90s: marriage breakdown.

At the time of her death I had no idea that in a couple of months I would be going though a separation But I still felt a huge connection and compassion for her.

Pfff... "What she could have thought of the Duchess of Cambridge"... Lay her every word in her mouth if you wish... She is not amongst us, she can not confirm it, she can not deny it, easily enough... Shoot for free, always win a prize...!

What a non-issue.

Last edited:
I will be at my news agent seeing if I can pre order a copy. Looks like a lovely edition

This article about Tatler's front page has left me feeling somewhat sad, and I'm not entirely sure why. I'd disagree that Diana seemed more mature at 33 than Katherine does. Diana did have a real magic about her that's indefinable. I just wish that she had discovered some real stability before she died and had a chance to settle down and be content.:sad:

I too wish there was some stability in her life before her passing. She died before she was able to write another chapter in her life. Sadly I think it's one of the reasons why people have capitalized off of her life so much. She was never able to turn the page from her painful marriage years, and people have defined her as a total tragic story.

I think it's so important to remember her not just as a princess, but as a loving mom and humanitarian. William and Harry is making sure her legacy lives on, and that she's forever part of their lives.

I agree with the above, one of the saddest things about Diana's death was that her life at the time seemed rather chaotic and unsettled - a sort of crossroads I suppose. By now, all the problems of those last few years would surely have been forgotten about and the hype would have been more manageable and less intense.

I agree with the above, one of the saddest things about Diana's death was that her life at the time seemed rather chaotic and unsettled - a sort of crossroads I suppose. By now, all the problems of those last few years would surely have been forgotten about and the hype would have been more manageable and less intense.

mmm, I'm not too sure about it. It would all depend on what Diana's life would be like now... not to mention all the more annoying comparisons... who know what she would be up to now...

mmm, I'm not too sure about it. It would all depend on what Diana's life would be like now... not to mention all the more annoying comparisons... who know what she would be up to now...

Well yes, I see what you're saying and of-course who knows what the last 18 years would have brought. I've just always had the idea in my mind that living such lifestyle in the media spotlight, doing things deemed to be controversial etc etc would be difficult to sustain or live with.

I'm not saying either she would have got bored or the media would, but I just can't imagine that should would have still been living the same lifestyle now as she was then.

Well yes, I see what you're saying and of-course who knows what the last 18 years would have brought. I've just always had the idea in my mind that living such lifestyle in the media spotlight, doing things deemed to be controversial etc etc would be difficult to sustain or live with.

I'm not saying either she would have got bored or the media would, but I just can't imagine that should would have still been living the same lifestyle now as she was then.

I just wonder if the royal family would ever feel comfortable around her or would always live with tension and fear Diana would "spill out" something... don't know, but it's strange for me to imagine the future of Diana and the BRF now together or .. Like, it would be two diferrent paths that would bring more and more divergencies...

Maybe she would have settled in and become a sort of global charity ambassador but without leaking the stories to the press stuff of earlier days. I can also see that it could have gone the opposite way. She could have a problem giving up the Royal spotlight, getting older and watching a new woman become involved with her sons as the start to date and get married. Kate gets compared to Diana now image if she was still alive and didn't want you around. William may not have even met Kate.

It seems to me any woman who married William would be subject to such comparisons by certain segments of the press.

The only way to avoid it would be to remain a bachelor.

As with most people who are no longer with us, we have a tendency to remember the good and forget the bad. Who knows what Diana would be up to or what her views would be on things if she were alive.

I find it difficult though to believe she would be nothing but happy for William and eventually Harry to find love.

Had she lived, the spotlight would have always been on her. Being a former senior Royal and mother of a future King, Diana still had a role to play on the global stage. I think she would be busy being an humanitarian today, a supportive mother, mother-in-law and grandmother.

I think her relationship with the royal family would've approved over time.

It's just sad that she never got a chance to find some sort of happiness and turn her life around. Her former husband got that chance, but she didn't. That's life and life isn't fair, unfortunately.

I just pray her life is full of love and peace in another kingdom.

Had Diana lived today, she would have been a lady going on to her sixties. Of course the interest would remain, but it would be more in normal proportions and no longer the dianamania of those days. Of course, without the royal protection and without the many changes after her tragic death regarding the press, she probably would have had a miserable 1990's and early 2000's, being besieged all time.

Queen Paola of the Belgians is an example of how a total media frenzy, a total madhouse, a total mania, incredible street scenes and even a hit song (Dolce Paola), still can result into a 'forgotten lady' anno 2015. Picture: the Prince and Princess de Liège with the Prince and Princess of Monaco.

Last edited:
However it is certain that everyone will never stop to discuss for Diana.

It seems to me that it's largely people from other countries who continually wish to discuss her.. In Britain she is rarely talked about, or referred to ,except in the 'Daily Express' which runs 'non stories' about her so often it is laughingly known as 'the Daily Diana'.

Many, many people would prefer just to forget, principally [I think] because [A] we all consider ourselves partially responsible for her being hounded to death by a press WE expected to follow her, and because we are embarrassed at the VERY uncharacteristic outburst of emotion [in the immediate aftermath of her death]. It was SO unlike our reserved and unemotional 'national character' and is not something we are proud of, or care to be reminded of !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom