The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

One would have thought having William tell both his parents to stay away from Eton and William inviting Tiggy to be his guest for family day at Eton would have been a pretty strong message that he disapproved of what was going on around him.

When Diana was dissing Charles at every opportunity I do not think she ever considered the damage she was doing to her children or to the institution that was their heritage. After becoming formally separated in 92 I never understood why she continued to attack or what she hoped to gain from it. They were never going to get back together and while she was just separated she pretty much had the best of both worlds. still royal but independent of her husband. She just came across as a vindictive wife who did not care who got hurt. Could she have honestly believed that the Panorama interview was going to help her or her children in any possible way. I don't think anyone who watched it could have been surprised that divorce was the end result.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Like a child, she lived in the moment and didn't understand the consequences of her own actions.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Majesty

After Charles and Diana's interviews, I think The Queen figured that a divorce was for the best. It was a bad time for the couple and they both admitted that they wished none of it had happened. They both were saddened by all those events.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Don't know if all that is true...
I believe Penny Junor's source was the Eton House Master himself.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
On would have thought having William tell both his parents to stay away from Eton and William inviting Tiggy to be his guest for family day at Eton would have been a pretty strong message that he disapproved of what was going on around him.

When Diana was dissing Charles at every opportunity I do not think she ever considered the damage she was doing to her children or to the institution that was their heritage. After becoming formally separated in 92 I never understood why she continued to attack or what she hoped to gain from it. They were never going to get back together and while she was just separated she pretty much had the best of both worlds. still royal but independent of her husband. She just came across as a vindictive wife who did not care who got hurt. Could she have honestly believed that the Panorama interview was going o help her or her children in any possible way. I don't think anyone who watched it could have been surprised that divorce was the end result.
According to Andrew Morton, Diana was trying to build public anger against Charles so that he would be forced to renounce his right to the throne, he and Camilla would leave the country, and Diana would be left to groom William for the throne.

I'm sure she convinced herself that it would be best for William, but she failed to consider whether William and Harry wanted their father to leave the country.

I think Diana may have also been motivated by the thought that she, herself, would become very powerful when William ascended the throne. I remember one quote from an unnamed 'friend,' "when William ascends the throne, Diana will have won."
Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Majesty

The Queen wasn't happy with both Charles and Diana's actions, especially with the Camillagate and Squidgygate tapes. The couple was doing things that were damaging to their family lives and the Monarchy.

As William and Harry have said time and time again. Their mother should be remembered for being a great mom, the love that she shared and for the great work she did for countless charities and children.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen wasn't happy with both Charles and Diana's actions, especially with the Camillagate and Squidgygate tapes. The couple was doing things that were damaging to their family lives and the Monarchy.

As William and Harry have said time and time again. Their mother should be remembered for being a great mom, the love that she shared and for the great work she did for countless charities and children.
They may have been embarrassed by these but both couples were hacked and the fact nothing was done about that still makes me madder than hell. If the police had stepped in then to stop hacking, think of the suffering that would have been prevented.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana was upset with Prince Charles over a number of issues and the Panorama interview was one way that she get to him and the royal family in a way that no one else ever had before or since. She was probably the only person who would ever get away with this.

Seems like she thought about her actions after the fact or after her children were hurt by it which is then too late.

I think both of them wanted out of the marriage and perhaps Diana knew that this was one way to get out of her marriage by bad mouthing Prince Charles. Maybe that was in her plan when she did the interview, who knows.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

They were already separated and living apart. All she had to do was see her lawyer and have the appropriate papers filed if she just wanted a divorce. There was no need to do the Panorama interview if she just wanted a divorce.
I think she wanted to be as vindictive as possible and enjoyed playing the victim. She did not care about who would be hurt by the interview or the damage it might do to the monarchy and royal family that were her sons heritage. That interview was all about "me me me".
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
According to Andrew Morton, Diana was trying to build public anger against Charles so that he would be forced to renounce his right to the throne, he and Camilla would leave the country, and Diana would be left to groom William for the throne.

I'm sure she convinced herself that it would be best for William, but she failed to consider whether William and Harry wanted their father to leave the country.

I think Diana may have also been motivated by the thought that she, herself, would become very powerful when William ascended the throne. I remember one quote from an unnamed 'friend,' "when William ascends the throne, Diana will have won."
Really ? It's so much worse than i ever imagined !
It was really a mess ...
Old 08-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

"
If this is true, she also failed to consider that what she was doing was actually treason under the 1702 Treason Act and I would be very surprised if her advisors did not tell her that.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Majesty

I'll remember her has a great person. Diana wasn't perfect but she did great things while she was here by being supportive to Charles, being a good and loving mother and using her royal status to raise awareness for very worthy causes.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=US Royal Watcher;1587653]According to Andrew Morton, Diana was trying to build public anger against Charles so that he would be forced to renounce his right to the throne, he and Camilla would leave the country, and Diana would be left to groom William for the throne.
[QUOTE]

Thankfully we were spared that.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'll remember her has a great person. Diana wasn't perfect but she did great things while she was here by being supportive to Charles, being a good and loving mother and using her royal status to raise awareness for very worthy causes.
Well at least on one of your three points we can agree.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I was thinking the same.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Lol, it's okay to agree to disagree but I think Diana did her part in supporting Charles, especially early on in their marriage. They travelled across the UK and Commonwealth representing The Queen and the people. There were great times and laughs along the way. I think despite the problems, the Wales's did their duty.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I was thinking the same.
Ditto.

To be fair, I think she was incapable of good parenting - she just had too many issues.

I believe, from everything I've read, every reputable source, that she had some sort of mental illness. Yes, I AM an armchair psychiatrist, so take it for what it's worth. But you can no more blame a person for being mentally ill than you can blame a person for being born without a foot. I have seen this condition up close and personal too many times. At times the best that can be said is that a person did the very best they could. It might just be that Diana did the very best she could, even though some of her decisions regarding parenting were questionable indeed. Some of her other decisions were questionable as well. If she thought she was going to oust Charles and Camilla by star power, that smacks of grandiosity.

I don't have a problem with those who want to see Diana in a good light, but I do wish that people would see her in an honest light. She was not some sort of saint. People see her as larger than life. She wasn't. People are idolizing (not saying people HERE, people out there) a woman who I believe was mentally ill. I don't think it's productive or good for society to idolize a mentally ill woman (or anyone for that matter).

JMHO, of course.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Courtier

Diana was starry eyed about being in love with a Prince. I think it was a juvenile way of looking at life, Added to that, Charles was in love with Camillia and had been forbidden to marry her, because she wasn't considered good enough and she wasn"t a virgin. He was trying to do his duty. Added to that was Diana's mental illness or whatever you want to call it. The Bishop that married them said it was an arranged marriage. Diana, herself, even said she didn't think the marriage would work, but thought it was too late to back out. That whole story should be put to rest, as we will never know the entire truth. May she rest in peace.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Ditto.

To be fair, I think she was incapable of good parenting - she just had too many issues.

I believe, from everything I've read, every reputable source, that she had some sort of mental illness. Yes, I AM an armchair psychiatrist, so take it for what it's worth. But you can no more blame a person for being mentally ill than you can blame a person for being born without a foot. I have seen this condition up close and personal too many times. At times the best that can be said is that a person did the very best they could. It might just be that Diana did the very best she could, even though some of her decisions regarding parenting were questionable indeed. Some of her other decisions were questionable as well. If she thought she was going to oust Charles and Camilla by star power, that smacks of grandiosity.

I don't have a problem with those who want to see Diana in a good light, but I do wish that people would see her in an honest light. She was not some sort of saint. People see her as larger than life. She wasn't. People are idolizing (not saying people HERE, people out there) a woman who I believe was mentally ill. I don't think it's productive or good for society to idolize a mentally ill woman (or anyone for that matter).

JMHO, of course.
i agree with your opinion, but I want to add that in idolizing Diana, they have demonise Charles and that is not right. I read that people think he has done nothing compared to Diana but he has. he has given his own money in £millions to good causes and to people in distress, the Princes Trust has given opportunities and work to thousands, and he has been a good father.

Agree mistakes on both sides, but with Charles keeping v quiet whenhe must have wanted to shout from the rooftops, especially with the negative comments about Camilla.

But it should be over. DIana allowed to rest in peace, Charles and Camilla to build their lives in service to the country and love their children and grandchildren.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Poor, Poor Charles. Gave so much, got so little. What crap. He was in his 30's, she was 19. His press force has really been at work since her death. Oh, Camilla, barely knew her. Never was her "tampon", etc. Diana should have run. The BRF has only one ideal and that is themselves. Although, I see Kate making a space for herself and child. Would not be possible without her mother-in-law. Spending the first 2 weeks at her mother's house. Wow. Charles was spoiled person, to this day he has someone crack his egg in the morning, yuck!!! He has never earned a dime, and I doubt he has given much away, on a personal level. But I do respect his trust. And, please tell me what is Camilla's big contribution?

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana