The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
...Since the actual attack on their car, a couple of years ago, Charles and Camilla have not seemed to appear quite so frequently going out and about like regular people. Must be a drag.

Of course, I'm certain of correction if I'm wrong about their life going out and about.
I think Charles and Camilla continue to go out and about, both separately and together. There was at least one article about Charles and Catherine being seen together because they both enjoy art.

Obviously they have security when they go out. Charles has lived with threats all his life. We don't hear about it like we heard about Diana going out because the media doesn't follow Charles and Camilla the way they did Diana. That's a good thing.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I agree with both Ish and Iluvbertie regarding the actual events...
Well said!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Amen to that...
Speaking about "genetic material" seems a little bit far fetched though. I know some people are simply terrified at the idea of Diana being forgotten but bringing the "blood in their veins" into that is a little bit ridiculous.
I don't understand why "genetic material" is far fetched in this context. Diana got her blood into the Royal Family. Fact. It is therefore part of her legacy in the objective, long term, sense, rather than the short term, subjective sense of what she taught her sons and what they remember of her.

And lest you for one second think that I might be one of those people who are simply terrified at the idea of Diana being forgotten, I most certainly am not, as a perusal of the older Diana threads should make quite clear.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Courtier

As always, it depends on your definition. Most people don't think of their genes or blood type as a 'legacy' from their parents.

Similarly, if some people want to argue that Diana's legacy includes William and Harry's title because she married Charles, then Charles's legacy includes their Spencer heritage and the way they interact with people, which many people apparently incorrectly have given sole credit to Diana.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know whether any of the Windsors will even be depicted in this latest film.

Quote:
The Diana movie will probably not be that bad, but since it is from Diana's point of view (or the point of view of her friends), I suspect it will show Diana courageously standing up to the cold, out-of-touch and uncaring royal family. In particular, Charles will probably be portrayed as weak, selfish, and jealous of his ex-wife. Unfortunately, a lot of people who see it will believe this was the reality. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II = Queen Victoria
Prince Charles = Edward VII
Prince William = George V
Prince George = Edward VIII

If Prince George abdicates, is that part of Diana's legacy or does that becomes just Charles?

If Diana's legacy is her DNA, then we must include the Fermoys, Spencers Hamiltons, Gills, the Works.

Diana DNA wasn't exactly stellar. Both parents died at age 68 after long illness.

John Spencer had a brain aneurysm at age 54, which he never recovered and died of a heart attack.

Frances Roche had Parkinsons and died of a brain cancer.

Cynthia Hamilton died of brain tumor.

Diana's legacy to William and Harry might be an inherited diseases. Brain aneurysm, Parkinson and heat disease are said to be inherited.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

I had a laugh when I saw this post came from "Queen Camilla"
Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Majesty

I like that William & Harry are trying to keep Diana's legacy going and keeping her memory alive. Right now Harry is in Angola touring minefields and meeting beneficiaries of The HALO Trust.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I like that William & Harry are trying to keep Diana's legacy going and keeping her memory alive. Right now Harry is in Angola touring minefields and meeting beneficiaries of The HALO Trust.
And we have to remember that Princes Seeiso and Harry named their endeavor to help children in Lesotho "Sentebale" which means "Forget Me Not" in honor of their mothers. HALO and Sentebale have an international status and I expect it to gain more and more momentum in the years to come. William has been very actively involved in Centrepointe which was also a favorite patronage of his mother.

To take a concern that one person has worked towards making a difference in the world and making it grow and prosper and reach more and more people, to me that's a huge legacy.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't know whether any of the Windsors will even be depicted in this latest film.
They probably won't be portrayed on screen, but we know the film includes a recreation of the Panorama interview. Since it covers the last two years of her life, I assume the Diana character will be shown reacting to various events, i.e., the loss of her royal status and the party Charles gave for Camilla in his own house (for those who might forget, James Hewitt often saw Diana at Highgrove).

I suspect these scenes will be portrayed from Diana's point of view and, therefore, will not show the royal family in the best light. I think it is safe to assume the film will not include Diana's harassment of Tiggy Legg-Bourke, Will Carling's divorce, etc... In fairness, it would be impossible to include the whole story in a film.

I do expect that the film will at least touch on Diana's resignation from over 100 charities in a childish snit over losing her royal status and her inappropriate tendency to use her 14 year old son as a confident. But I suspect that these negative aspects of Diana's character will be dealt with swiftly and the film will devote more time to events that offer a more positive view of Diana, such as the two landmine photo ops because those are very memorable.

I am not sure how the film will portray Diana's relationship with the media. I expect it will touch on Diana's use the media, but I am betting that the media, particularly the paparazzi, will be the major villains in the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
...To take a concern that one person has worked towards making a difference in the world and making it grow and prosper and reach more and more people, to me that's a huge legacy.
I agree. It is one of the things Diana did best.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt the film will go into her dependency on William all that much. I've read reports that say William and Harry only have one scene in the film, where they're saying goodbye to her for the last time before the accident.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Royal Highness

I wonder if the film will note, at least in the final moments, that Diana left not one red cent (or shilling, I should say) to all these beloved charities, nor did she contribute her personal money towards them during her lifetime. In fact, I believe she made money off them.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I wonder if the film will note, at least in the final moments, that Diana left not one red cent (or shilling, I should say) to all these beloved charities, nor did she contribute her personal money towards them during her lifetime. In fact, I believe she made money off them.
I don't believe I've ever heard of any British royal bequeathing donations from their personal wealth to different charities and patronages but I'm sure I'll be corrected in this matter.

I do believe Charles has been known to put his own money into various endeavors but for the most part, I think if a royal would have donated out of their own pocket, it would have been kept as an anonymous donation.

Just my take on it.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Majesty

I won't be going to see the film but will wait for the DVD.
There's a lot of false accusations out there about the late Princess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't believe I've ever heard of any British royal bequeathing donations from their personal wealth to different charities and patronages but I'm sure I'll be corrected in this matter.
The royals contributions are usually private.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:

The royals contributions are usually private.
The reason the lack of charitable donations is an issue is because: 1) Diana was not a royal at the time of her death, and 2) she urged others to make donations and bequests. She may have privately donated some money to charity, but it couldn't have been much. We know that her estate was worth $35.6 million and she received between $25 million and $33 million in the divorce. So she couldn't have donated that much to charity.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Majesty

According to palace officials, Diana remained a member of the royal family, despite her divorce. The Princess of Wales did her job in help raise a great deal of money for her charities that she was royal patron or president.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
According to palace officials, Diana remained a member of the royal family, despite her divorce. The Princess of Wales did her job in help raise a great deal of money for her charities that she was royal patron or president.
I meant that she had lost her HRH title, so she may have been a member of the family, as Zara and Peter are, she was no longer a royal.

Regarding the fact that she raised money. She certainly did, but I think it is hypocritical for people to raise money from other people but not contribute themselves--especially when they have $35 million.

It's just another indication of how deeply she truly felt about her charities. I think she cared about them, but not as much as she's given credit for.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Majesty

I'm sure Diana contributed to her charities privately. I'm sure other current members of the royal family contribute to their charities privately as well, although I don't see anyone asking about it.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
...It's just another indication of how deeply she truly felt about her charities. I think she cared about them, but not as much as she's given credit for.
Yes, indeed. It was always claimed that Diana did more than the BRF, cared more for her causes than they did. I tend to believe people should put the money where there mouth is, and there are many Hollywood celebrities, for instance who do. So I'd say she was no better than the royals it is always claimed she was better than.

P.S. As for false accusations about Diana, for every false accusation about Diana, I think there's at least two for Charles.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Majesty

If they are claims that Diana did more for her causes than the other royals, then that's a false statement. All members of the royal do a great deal for their causes. It's not fair to put that blame on Diana though. I'm sure she did her thing privately.

I'm sure there are false accusations about the Prince of Wales too. Although I think some people have figured out the way to stick up for Charles is to put Diana down and place a great deal of blame on her. I think that's very unfair to Charles and Diana. None of them are/were saints.

Dr. Maya Angelou

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana