The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
That's an important point and argument to what forms my opinion about what her legacy actually is.

She had a self-pitying and vindictive streak in her character which led her to trying to manipulate the public into overthrowing the succession to the throne in favour of her own son. 500 years ago the queen would have had her beheaded for High Treason, just like the First Elizabeth had Mary Stuart tried and found guilty but Mary's son lived to become Elizabeth's successor. But nowadays a beautiful princess gets away with it and even earns a nice divorce settlement.

As for her charities: Princess Anne does work endlessly to support charities and the organizations she is patron of, but because she is not a beautiful but only a dutiful princess she does not have that over-whelming amount of devotees.

So for me the whole thing burns down to the fact that Diana was a beauty from the outside and thus could get away with doing lots and lots of unpleasant things. Reminds me of cruel fairy-tale princesses like Turandot - all of them beautiful, of course- who commit serious crimes but end up loved none-the-less by their princes. Well, obviously in real life there are no such fairy-tales.

For me Diana the icon is the symbol for the vanity, superficiality and moral insensibility of the world she lived in and we unfortunately still live in.
Jo, Thank you! You were able to beautifully articulate what I could not. Your example of The Princess Royal is completely correct; she certainly does not receive the credit she has earned-but at the same time she doesn't seem to be too upset about that. Which proves that she is not "in it" for the show. Anne does not need the adulation of people who take sides to affirm who she is. She does not measure her self-worth by how many magazine covers she lands on or how many books are written about her, or how many well-planned photo shoots she can arrange. I admire The Princess Royal for so many reasons--she is completely confident, capable, and down-to-earth. Her legacy will be one well worth discussing.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
I don't think that Diana will have one clear defined legacy. She is so many different things to people that to say 'this is exactly who and what she was' is next to impossible. Besides AIDS and Landmines most of the other charities that she was involved in have already been forgotten by the general public. All these tell-all books the keep being published and all the in-dept documentaries that they keep making aren't exactly helping things either. Almost 11 years ago when she died she was held up as a saint which was I think was a bad idea. All the stories about her character, her personality started to come out, are still coming out, and it makes people wonder what version is the truth, who was she really and did she just fool us all. I know she wanted to be the Queen of People's Hearts but I think she will have to settle for being the Queen of Some People's Hearts and being something totally different to others.
Great post--I love the part about being "Queen of Some People's Hearts"--it is very true because Diana has, unfortunantly, become a polarizing figure. People either like/love or dislike/hate her. Not much of a legacy if you look at it that way. I admit it is hard to look past that element about Diana to see her more compassionate side, but like Jo said, other Royals who work harder and do more receive less press and attention than Diana. When you look at that way, other than her legacy as a mother, why should she be so revered?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

I have a lot of respect for Princess Anne, but it's not really possible to compare her to Princess Diana. Anne was born into the firm and she knew what was expected of her from a very early age; she lived it and breathed it her whole life. Diana did not. She became Princess of Wales a few weeks after her 20th birthday. Within a year and a half, she got married, became a senior royal (with all the obligations that implies) and she became a mother. Not many 20 year olds could pull that one off. She went from being a nanny at 19 to having world leaders pay tribute to her when she died. Nelson Mandela even insisted on personally paying his respects at her grave at Althorp. THAT says something.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
..... who was she really and did she just fool us all.
As the saying goes - You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
I have a lot of respect for Princess Anne, but it's not really possible to compare her to Princess Diana.
The comparison is that Anne works everybit as hard as, if not more than, Diana ever did but she never receives the accolades, credit, and fanfare which Diana received. I agree, it isn't possible to compare Anne to Diana--Anne far exceeds Diana, in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I agree that Princess Anne should have big publicity for her impressive work endurance for people. I find it very unfair that you need to make the everyday headlines to get attention on an important matter.

Diana's work is far more known, of course not because she did better than others, but because she had huge coverage.

Unfortunately what's left of Diana's charity work has been condensed in an association, the Diana, Princess of Wales memorial fund, that has only been known for its financial problem and bad management.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
..... Unfortunately what's left of Diana's charity work has been condensed in an association, the Diana, Princess of Wales memorial fund, that has only been known for its financial problem and bad management.
That could all have been so different with a proper management team. I agree they had to protect the use of the Diana, Princess of Wales trademark, but to take on a huge company over a doll?

The drainage ditch/trough/memorial was a complete waste of money. A sculpture incorporating a fountain, showing a dancing Diana, would IMO, have been more in keeping with her spirit.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Apart from charities and publicity, it would be fair to say that Princes William and Henry are a major legacy of the late Princess Diana. It does not matter (1) whether one likes/hates her and (2) what her legacy is or may be, namely her children are going to continue the bloodline. This is the important point. The late Princess Diana does not care about anything at this point in time.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The drainage ditch/trough/memorial was a complete waste of money. A sculpture incorporating a fountain, showing a dancing Diana, would IMO, have been more in keeping with her spirit.
True, but I'm not really for sculptures. A memorial plaque on one wall of Kensington Palace would have been a simple way to make a good and dignified tribute.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
True, but I'm not really for sculptures. A memorial plaque on one wall of Kensington Palace would have been a simple way to make a good and dignified tribute.
I was try to show consideration for those that seem to want a memorial to visit.

I rather like fountains with the statues spouting water, we have one at home, not as large as Trafalgar, but sizable enough to push brothers & sisters in over the years!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

i don't think you need statues or fountains to remember a person. we all remember her in our own way. memories of her will fade in time and this is only natural. she has made her place in british history and will be mentioned in history lessons in generations to come, with or without statues or fountains.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you, Duchess. Diana will always be remembered in some way, although people who were around to witness "The Diana Years" will remember her in a different way than those who read about her as a historical figure. For example, I can't understand the excitement about Prince Edward, the Prince of Wales who later became Edward VIII. He was idolized in his time; but for someone like me, born in the early 1960s, he was a former king who abdicated to marry a twice-divorced woman. It will be the same with Diana, I think. She'll be remembered with more balance than she is now. Perhaps, in a generation or two, Royal Watchers will be able to discuss her without getting into heated discussions. But now she's controversial, in part because people remember her for different things. For every person who remembers her acts of kindness (and the acts that were private until DIANA: THE PORTRAIT came out) and her abilities with people, there's a person who remembers her vindictiveness and her dishonesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i don't think you need statues or fountains to remember a person. we all remember her in our own way. memories of her will fade in time and this is only natural. she has made her place in british history and will be mentioned in history lessons in generations to come, with or without statues or fountains.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

^I agree and I also have to say I think everyone has their flaws, I'm sure if you were to examine me in every which way I'd probably come out looking as a horrible person at some points and loving at other times, it's just human nature everyone has their problems everyone makes mistakes everyone does someting bad once in a while just Diana's was on a different level and was released for the whole world to see.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no need to start comparing Diana's charity work to Anne's or any other member of TBRF. By saying her's was better or genuine your forgetting the true purpose of the charity which is to help the less fortunate.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
Many do, it would appear from the 'outrage' over the ditch and the calls for a 'proper & fitting memorial'. The British do have a habit of immortalising the dead in stone, hence the statues dotted around the country, especially in London. I don't feel it is a case of 'remembering them', more a case of honouring their memory.

As with the youngsters who asked if Victoria and Albert were pop stars, history lessons are for some 'dead' subjects. Already, so I am told, the only mention seems to be that she was married to Charles, had two children, divorced and died in a car accident. They barely cover the monarchs who did reign..
Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I was try to show consideration for those that seem to want a memorial to visit.

I rather like fountains with the statues spouting water, we have one at home, not as large as Trafalgar, but sizable enough to push brothers & sisters in over the years!
The most beautiful fountain I've ever seen was the Place de la Concorde in Paris.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The most beautiful fountain I've ever seen was the Place de la Concorde in Paris.
Yes that too is beautiful, the Trevi Fountain is very ornate, but also wonderful. I think you are either a lover of fountains and statues, or you are not.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
^I agree and I also have to say I think everyone has their flaws, I'm sure if you were to examine me in every which way I'd probably come out looking as a horrible person at some points and loving at other times, it's just human nature everyone has their problems everyone makes mistakes everyone does someting bad once in a while just Diana's was on a different level and was released for the whole world to see.
I'm not sure that the problem is that Diana's mistakes were out there for everyone to see, I think the problem is that after she died the world went sort of crazy and acted as thought she was perfection. I remember watching it all unfold in the immediate days after her death and the blame was being laid at the media's door not the Royal Family, yet by the time of her funeral the media had tuned it all around so that she was the victim of a cold calculating Royal Family, coupled that with her brothers funeral speech and suddenly we had Diana, Princess of Wales the perfect woman. Except she wasn't perfect, she was human and by not allowing her to be remembered as anything other than perfect, her very human mistakes, when they did come out, seemed so much bigger than they actually are. In my opinion if she had been allowed to be remembered as someone who did quite a lot of good but had some problems in her personal life and made a few mistakes her and there then she maybe would have quite a nice legacy in todays world.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

^I agree, I never viewed her as a saint, I always thought she was flawed just like the rest of us, like you said it's jut for a while after her death she was seen as a saint and therefore when her issues were finally revealed to the world it somehow shocked everyone, but to me it was no surprise, it's just how this world is nobody is perfect.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

It was like an extreme case of how people don't speak ill of a dead person during times of grief; except it wasn't just a family and their friends--it was people all over the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
^I agree, I never viewed her as a saint, I always thought she was flawed just like the rest of us, like you said it's jut for a while after her death she was seen as a saint and therefore when her issues were finally revealed to the world it somehow shocked everyone, but to me it was no surprise, it's just how this world is nobody is perfect.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana