The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
excuse me my friend, but in my country, in argetina and averybody know the political troubles argentina' england, in my school a couple yearsago, we have todo a posters with the most significant persons in the 20 century and one person ( not me) out a diana's picture with sandra, the kid of angolavictim of the landmines. and in the movie and tha band go on, in the end with the song ''the lans song'' of elton jonh with the people that die fot VIH and the people to work for the VIH was diana there.

To cool Corazon! Sounds like a moving tribute to the Princess. Nor am I surprised to find that she has her fans in your home country. Despite the problems between the two states. Thanks for sharing

Old 05-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Pillow View Post
To cool Corazon! Sounds like a moving tribute to the Princess. Nor am I surprised to find that she has her fans in your home country. Despite the problems between the two states. Thanks for sharing
you are very welcome! diana had a lot of fans here!!!! really a lot! in province of chubut, she visited in 1995 a house of tea, and here have a little museum about here, with photos and the memorablia she used! is so so so loverly!
the politic problem argentina-england really don't matter about diana, when she die all the tv shows send cameras to london, and we had a condolence book in the british embassy. she is very loved here, she had a very close frien argentino, robert devorick, he wan in the wedding of william.
the only two people that when they come here don't were very welcome were andrew and charles. sarah, duchess of york love a lot this country for her mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You are wrong - there have been many reports of photos of Diana in CH - when he did it up after the death of The Queen Mum and the boys and he went to live there.
Various people who have been through CH have also reported that there are pictures of her there.
I respect your opinion, but for me, for charles diana never exist. I don't said he have to talk of her in public, of course not. but he never do or said about her, he don't was to the diana concert in wembley neight

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Majesty

Of course Diana existed for him - his two sons are also hers.

He doesn't have to go to a concert to remember her. That was the sort of thing that was put on the satisfy the 'fans' who needed to have their demands mollified rather than for any real reason to remember her by those who actually knew her - her family.

To them she was a real person - not some picture in a magazine - a person with feelings and character and that was a very real part of Charles' life.

I feel sorry for people like you because you haven't been able to do what Diana herself was able to do - accept that the marriage was over and that she was 50% responsbible for its breakdown (her words by the way - she took half the blame for the marriage breakdown - leaving 50% and only 50% of the blame to Charles). Sadly many of Diana's fans haven't accepted that fact and so remain in a bitter sad place regarding Charles and his relationship with Diana - he even sent her flowers in the last month of her life - one of her last comments to a friend was 'guess what I just got - flowers from my ex' (might have been a card) but that is hardly what a person does if they wish to forget about someone who was a part of their life for some time and is the mother of his children.

For Charles to try to forget Diana means he also can't have any relationship with his own sons.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Majesty

I think we have to remember Charles lost his ex-wife and the mother of his two sons. Despite their past problems, Charles & Diana had lots of love between them and that was pretty evident when they decided to bring William & Harry into the world.

During the last year of her life, friends has mentioned that Charles & Diana had started to become friends and they had two young children to look after. Charles actually used to pop in at Kensington Palace and visit Diana. The bitterness and upset had started to melt and Charles even invited Diana to accompany him on a farewell tour on the Royal Yacht Britannia before it was decommissioned. Of course it never got a chance to happen because of her unexpected passing.

Charles wore his wedding band Diana gave him for many years and up until he became engaged to Camilla. He has moved on with Camilla but I think we just have to remember Charles also lost Diana and I don't think he will ever forget her. I'm sure she was on his mind when William got engaged to Catherine, gave her what once was Diana's engagement ring and on the wedding day. I just try my best to consider his feelings about things.

Diana's memory will most likely never die out totally.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Courtier

I read somewhere that Charles and Diana were even planning to go on a Vacation (as friends) with William and Harry after she got back from Paris. Diana said herself that they made better friends then spouses. In the last months of her life they were starting to make amends. I think Diana would be happy for Charles and herself would want everyone to move in and accept Camilla.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
... Some reports have said they were even reaching a comfortable friendship towards the end of Diana's life.
I do not have any source to back up my belief, it is only my female intuiton-but I believe that while C&D did not work out as a couple (for many reasons that have been sufficiently discussed), they did have some common interests and also had admiration for each other.
Prince Charles has done charity from a very early age on & founded the Prince´s Trust who mainly aims to help at-risk children in UK but also has many other important causes like organic farming or saving the rain forest etc.
Both Diana and Charles were very involved and cared a lot for their sons and also their charities were close to their heart. They both worked hard and try to raise both awareness but also raise money for good causes- they are both highly succesful fundraisers and also create a lot of good press for the charity causes they support and believe in.
This is why I also share your opinion, Osipi,that they had a friendly, if not good,relationship after they got divorced. Unfortunately they never got the chance to deepen this relationship or talk about it in public.
IMO this is a private matter- how and what Charles feels for Diana or for Camilla should not be made public, we are free to speculate, but I understand and also think it is a good thing to keep such things in the family
. Helen Keller
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I am going to go OT for just a minute here.

I really have to admire our members here that post and participate on TRF in full steam even though English is not their native language and are perhaps not top notch at doing it at a college level. It shows guts, determination and a willingness to try and express thoughts in a language that is not their most comfortable one. I know I would be totally lost trying to participate in any forum in any other language than English. Corazon, be proud of your posts and keep on sharing!

Back to Diana and history. I do think that as time passes and history classes are taught, what will be noted will be most likely dates. Birth, marriage, children and death. I've not seen a history book in over 40 years but I would imagine that nowhere in them is mentioned Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis other than the base facts about her although she was a big icon of the 20th century much as Diana was in the 80s and 90s. There will be a lot of information and books about Diana in the library and online information sites though and if a spark of interest happens to catch fire, it will be available. Much like to me that Richard III was a blip in English history until his bones were found and I was interested enough to pursue more information about him.

For all we know, 5000 years from now someone may be digging in Nashville, Tennessee and discover that at one time there was a King that lived there and his name was Elvis.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Courtier

First, I agree with you about the people who take the time to post in English even if it is their second language. It's always interesting to read another perspective.

I also agree with your point about Diana's place in history. One of my kids was born after Diana died, but she knows more about Diana than about either Jack or Jacqueline Kennedy.

President Kennedy's assassination in 1963 plunged the U.S. and the rest of the world into mourning much the way Diana's sudden death did in 1997. The reaction was slightly different and more prolonged after Diana's death, but I think that was because Kennedy was buried within 3 days and Diana's funeral occurred about a week after her death. Funerals have an aura of finality and help people move on.

Regardless, in the 15 to 20 years after the Kennedy assassination in 1963, it was fairly common to ask people where they were when they heard President Kennedy had been shot. There were still many books, newspaper articles, and television shows dedicated to the Kennedy family, especially Jackie. Candidates were still arguing about whether they could be compared to Jack Kennedy as late as 1988.

But now, 50 years after the assassination, things have changed. The Kennedys are rarely mentioned in pop culture anymore. My son's history book includes a section on the 60's, but most of it centers on the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War. Certainly, President Kennedy is a major figure during that time period, but the perception of his place in history is very different than it was 20 years ago.

I think that will be the way it will be with Diana. To answer Ish's excellent post (#907, this forum), anyone who wants to study pop culture in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's will study Diana. And, of course, anyone who studies the royal family between 1980 and through William's reign, will also know about Diana. But in 2050 will most teenagers know who she is? I just don't think so. And that will be a healthy thing.

Of course, if the monarchy doesn't survive or drastically changes during the reign of either Charles or William, her place in history will be far more prominent, although I am not sure it will be remembered in a positive way.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
...(her words by the way - she took half the blame for the marriage breakdown - leaving 50% and only 50% of the blame to Charles).
I hadn't heard that Diana accepted any responsibility for the breakdown of the marriage, when was this?

For the record, I agree with you. Charles and Diana were married and had children. He cared for her and mourned her death. He's also a good father. Of course, he thinks about and talks about Diana in private.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
...But in 2050 will most teenagers know who she is? I just don't think so. And that will be a healthy thing.
I agree. In the End History will Judge for it self! It only been 16 Years since Diana died and anyone over 23 know who she is weather they like her not. And some may have never heard of her either. if you go ask someone who is 15 or 16 or even 17 about Princess Diana I wonder how many of them would know who you are talking about? a lot of them probably wouldn't even care who she is. She was a person who was there at that time at the right moment and was popular for that generation and then she died. I have to disagree about Jackie Kennedy. But that is a different discussion of it own.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Majesty

Old Press Report on Prince Charles's Last Letter to Diana:
http://royal-lover.tumblr.com/image/50361826784

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Old Press Report on Prince Charles's Last Letter to Diana:
http://royal-lover.tumblr.com/image/50361826784
Thanks for sharing this!

It's really nice to see that despite the fact that the marriage ended rather disastrously and is probably best known for the War of the Waleses that encompassed the early 90s, both parties managed to set their differences and problems aside and become friends again. While each of the Queen's elder children had their own marital problems, they all seem to have been able to handle good relationships with their exes post-divorce. In the case of Charles and Diana I just wish we remembered that ending more and focused on the illusion of the fairy tale beginning and the disastrous separation less.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Thanks for sharing! Ot does show how Diana and Charles were reaching a bit of a truce in Diana Final months. There seem to be some friendly affection between them before she died. I think the letter showed that Charles still loved Diana in a way (maybe not romantically but a least as the mother of his Children's ) They seem to get closer after the divorce and made better friends. A least for Their kids sake they were able to put their differences aside and be friends. There are some divorced couples who can't stand to be in the same room together! Who knows if Diana had lived there might have been a small chance of reconciliation.

The beginning was the good and The end (last year of Diana life) was Good. It is the stuff in the middle that is not good and what we are always concentrating on. We should focus on the beginning and the end.

I know this is a lot different but Edward VII had affairs bit he still loved his Wife Alexandra in spite if his affairs.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I hadn't heard that Diana accepted any responsibility for the breakdown of the marriage, when was this?
During the Panorama interview, she said something about accepting 50%. I can't remember the exact quote.

Quote:
...He doesn't have to go to a concert to remember her. That was the sort of thing that was put on the satisfy the 'fans' who needed to have their demands mollified...
IIRC William and Harry put the concert together as a tribute to their mother 10 years after her death. In their interview, I don't remember any suggestion that they were doing it to please "fans."
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I have to agree! The beginning was the good and The end (last year of Diana life) was Good. It is the stuff in the middle that is not good and what we are always concentrating on. We should focus on the beginning and the end.
I actually think it's a shame that people only focus on Charles & Diana's troubles. There were some very happy times and they did work very well together in those happy years.

Then again, a lot of money has been made off of the troubled times. There has been countless books, articles, movies (you name it) about the other side of their marriage. That's just where the focus is and, to me, that's very sad. I like knowing things had calmed down and Charles & Diana started a friendly relationship. I think it would've been great to see them do a last tour on the Royal Yacht and spend some time together as a family. I'd like to think we would've seen a close and family relationship between them today.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
IIRC William and Harry put the concert together as a tribute to their mother 10 years after her death. In their interview, I don't remember any suggestion that they were doing it to please "fans."

Just because they didn't say it didn't mean that wasn't the reason - just as they keep mentioning her now - it is as much as sop to her fans as it is because they feel a need to do so - they know that they will get 'brownie points' for mentioning their mother as her fans will continue to support them as long as they remind people that they are her sons.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Courtier

People's will know who their mother is without the need to remind them who their mother is. Everyone know who William and harry impther us Just like people's Know Anne Boleyn is Elizabeth I mom or that George VI mother is Mary. Diana is the mother of a future king and the former deceased wife of a future king. So that statement that William and Harry have to keep reminding people's who their mom is does not make sense.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Just because they didn't say it didn't mean that wasn't the reason - just as they keep mentioning her now - it is as much as sop to her fans as it is because they feel a need to do so - they know that they will get 'brownie points' for mentioning their mother as her fans will continue to support them as long as they remind people that they are her sons.
I think that not only is that cynical, it's also very much an outsider's perspective. You're looking in from the outside, and assuming that William and Harry view their mother as a brand and as a tool, and that they consciously choose to manipulate the portion of the public who remains devoted to her memory.

I would be inclined to guess that their feelings about their mother are deeply private, centered around her as a person rather than as a media icon, and that speaking of her, especially as it relates to causes they care about because of her, is something that they do to honor her in their own way.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Majesty

You are contradicting yourself - if their feelings are deeply private then they should stop talking about her all the time when the media is there as that starts more media stories about her and them - she is being used now by her sons.

Not cynical but realistic - William and Harry never mention their father - but only their mother - why - because they know that she is the one that people love and they are hanging on her coattails.

Sadly she is still being used but now by her own sons along with her fans.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Iluvbertie...I think you are being a bit harsh.

Isn't it possible that the boys talk about their mother because they love her and miss her, and want to keep her alive in the public memory in some way?

My own late parents are not world famous of course, but I discuss them among family and friends for the same reason...to keep them alive and a part of my world in some small way.

William and Harry obviously love and admire Charles too-but he is living and very much still in their lives. I say GOOD ON THEM for refusing to allow their mother to fade away as if she never mattered.

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana