The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

COUNTESS and GracieGiraffe, thanks for the great posts. ICAM 100%.

Tiggersk8, your memories of your personal encounter with the late princess brought tears to my eyes and confirmed what I have always felt. For all her flaws, for all her neuroses, Diana was an amazing human being. She was a gift to her country and the world. In her own small way she lit both, for the brief time she was here.

She was descended from kings and will be the mother of the king... not Camilla, basically the mistress who had the tenacity that made her into a wife and will go down in history as such.

Anyone who truly believes the beautiful, tragic, intensely controversial Diana will be relegated to a mere footnote is probably engaging in wishful thinking.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Anyone who truly believes the beautiful, tragic, intensely controversial Diana will be relegated to a mere footnote is probably engaging in wishful thinking.
or maybe they just understand the difference between history books and People magazine.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tigersk8: Thanks for such a moving message.

Those of us who are lucky have life changing moments with successful or important people; we remember them all our lives and our lives are shaped with the help of what happened in those moments.

The great thing about Diana - is that she planted seeds in her children. Look today at Harry interacting with the competitors in the cycle race in Colorado. These are not different, wounded, less-than-whole people to him, they are just comrades in arms and ready for a good listen or joke. She lives on in Harry, Wills and I think Sophie gets it too.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/168...2sEOoVYw%3d%3d

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/168...nG0AFPlw%3d%3d

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/168...TJpAMOdg%3d%3d

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/168...BtSByZXA%3d%3d
Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Tigersk8: Thanks for such a moving message...
Could not have said it better myself.I also think Catherine gets it.......
Old 05-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
or maybe they just understand the difference between history books and People magazine.
I certainly understand the difference. I gave up on People Magazine about 15 years ago and have been an avid reader of history since childhood.

My point is that Diana will not be relegated to a mere footnote in British Royal history by anyone with an objective opinion on the subject, and I stand by that.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

People Magazine is garbage. That being said, Diana will hardly be a footnote. Her children are her legacy. The new prince on the way will be HER grandchild. She will be the Mother and Grandmother of Kings.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Tigger for recounting your personal encounter with the POW. She was very perceptive and compassionate.
King Edward, the one who abdicated, was so much more of a star than ANY of the royals of today. Songs were written about him, etc. newsreels.
The fact that there wasntin ternet, twitter, tv, in fact competing mediums for disseminating "news" made many less celebrities, and bigger stars.
Diana was another very attractive, photogenic royal, whose ascention happend to coincide with the birth of the tabloid media machine in the UK by a certain Australian.
I believe that was instrumental in her celebrity, and the advent of move newsreels, the ascent of the former POW Edward, later King
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Commoner

Here is what I have to say about this:

Diana will be a historic figure in her own right. She might be compared to Marilyn Monroe whom till now is talked about due to their young deaths.

Diana might also be compared to Caroline of Brunswick or Catherine of Aragon... who knows

However when it comes to Charles and Camilla, Diana will be a footnote in their relationship. No matter what anyone thinks of them, their relationship resembles the typical love story forbidden starcrossed lovers story. Here is a piece that was written about them in 2005 by Australian comedian Wendy Harmer...very interesting:

Charles and Camilla

In conclusion:

Diana will be remembered for her beauty, tragic death and her bloodline ruling will determine whether or not she was an asset to the monarchy

Charles and Camilla have also made their mark with their relationship...They will be remembered like that of Anthony and cleopatara or Tristan and Isolde.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well when I think of great tragic relationships like Marc Anthony and Cleopatra, Charles and Camilla do not come to mind it's like a huge stretch. But that's just my opinion.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Well when I think of great tragic relationships like Marc Anthony and Cleopatra, Charles and Camilla do not come to mind it's like a huge stretch. But that's just my opinion.
Well Anthony and Cleopatra's story is much more...I didn't really think of the comparison until I also read this two articles which compared both...

Tragedies of Shakespeare: Antony and Cleopatra | Bookstove

Love, marriage and Shakespearean tragedies are wasted on the young - Howard Jacobson - Commentators - The Independent

Both relationships are unique and bizarre in their own way.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
People Magazine is garbage. That being said, Diana will hardly be a footnote. Her children are her legacy. The new prince on the way will be HER grandchild. She will be the Mother and Grandmother of Kings.
of course!!!! william and d harry are diana's sons, nobody can change that! and the little prince/ princess (I hope princess) is DIANA'S GRANCHILD not charles and camilla's grandchild.
I fell sick when I see in some magazine ''charles and camila, the granparents'' for god sake.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well the baby is Charles and Diana's grandchild. Diana is and will always be the mother to Will and Harry. And the paternal grandmother of their children.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

yes, of course, my friend.
ALWAYS will be diana the mother of the kids and the drandmother of the grandchilden. and cambridge's baby IS CHARLES AND DIANA GRANDCHILD, nobody and nothing can change that.

I am diana fan since I was 14 years old and I am 30 years old now and now I can think more clear: diana's legacy are her sons and humanity.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
yes, of course, my friend.
ALWAYS will be diana the mother of the kids and the drandmother of the grandchilden. and cambridge's baby IS CHARLES AND DIANA GRANDCHILD, nobody and nothing can change that.
Diana is dead. She will never know this baby and the baby will never know Diana. When the baby is visiting with grand daddy Charles it would be natural for Camilla to fulfill the grandmother role in that household.
One of my grandmothers died before I was born and my grandfather was remarried before I was born. As far as I was concerned she was the grandmother for that side of the family. In fact I was 6 or 7 before anyone filled me in on her being second wife, but it did not make a difference. A dead person who you never knew can only be a grandmother on paper not someone you have any emotional attachment or connection to.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Tell that to the AIDS Community...
Tell that to the Disabled Community...
And try telling that to me!!...
Thanks for putting things straight about Diana and sharing your touching personal story
On a personal note I can tell you that High School (or hell school as you call it) can also be difficult for ppl who are not disabled or blind, I did have a terrible time in school too...but I got over it, I think it is normal to have emotional difficult times when you grow up, especially when you are not everybodys darling and feel different from the other people around you,but of course things are easier for me because I am not disabled and thanks god I have a good health...

Back to Diana:
Whatever you can say about her marriage or the role she played in the BRF - she did make mistakes like all people do...but her charitable causes and her success can not be denied!
IMO she changed the way that modern royals behave - before her most royals would just wave and say a few nice things to their fans,cut a few ribbons and hold speeches etc. With Diana there was a whole level of new "closeness" to the people- she really LISTENED to people, she had empathy for suffering souls because she had her fair share of trouble and emotional issues, so she knew what people went through...
Now every modern royal has to do some charity,meet people and pretend to be one "of the people", before her most royals tried to be different and better than the average people they were representing.
This is also due to a strong press, media like TV and internet etc. where people can share pictures,stories and discuss everything that they care about.In order to stay in power the Royal Families in Europe MUST be seen as likeable and approachable, if they were snobbish and arrogant they would be soon out of power!

Also another point: Diana was one of the main reasons why the Ottawa treaty against landmines was finally signed (even though some countries did not sign it- many countries did do so!) because she rallied for the cause-after her death they could not possibly kill her cause and continue with this inhumane landmine business...this treaty saved a lot of peoples limbs and lives-this is more than most people can accomplish with their life!
Also, she did change they way we treat people with AIDS. Of course, the society would have changed over time- but her efforts did help to make this change go faster.
Just on a sidenote:There are still many ppl who do not know enough about AIDS or HIV and have very strange ideas and prejudices about it or do not take the risk seriously!
. Helen Keller
Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Diana is dead. She will never know this baby and the baby will never know Diana. When the baby is visiting with grand daddy Charles it would be natural for Camilla to fulfill the grandmother role in that household.
One of my grandmothers died before I was born and my grandfather was remarried before I was born. As far as I was concerned she was the grandmother for that side of the family. In fact I was 6 or 7 before anyone filled me in on her being second wife, but it did not make a difference. A dead person who you never knew can only be a grandmother on paper not someone you have any emotional attachment or connection to.

I am exactly the same - my mother's stepfather is the man I always regarded as my maternal grandfather because he was the one who was there when I visited by grandmother and I was also nearly 8 before I understood that he was not my mother's biological father. That didn't change how I felt about 'pop' - he was a wonderful grandfather.

To this baby, and all others of William and Harry there is no one else to be the 'grandmother' on their side of the family.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Aristocracy

I think that Diana will be remembered for her charity, her beauty, the fact that she is the mother of the heir to the throne but formost because she was the last of the western culture princesses who was chosen because she was from another noble family and because she would likely produce a heir. The disastrous ending of her marriage teached even the britisch royal house that the times were changing and that this particular approach to marriage was no longer acceptable.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Right..... but even so, I am sure that when the time is right, William will have a long heart to heart about Diana. William will make sure that Diana is a part of that child's life. How could he not? The world is.And I am sure Grandpapa Charles and Granny Camilla will support this, and Grandpapa will happily share memories of Diana, just as he did with the boys.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Majesty

There is no doubt that the baby will know who his/her grandmother was because William & Harry will show pictures of Diana to the child and tell him or her stories about her. I'm sure Charles will do the same. It's sad to know Diana won't be here to see her first grandchild. Although I'm sure her spirit will be with the baby.

The grandmotherly role will be split between Carole and Camilla. Camilla will be the step-grandmother and I'm sure she will look after and love this child as she do with her own grandchildren.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Yes I am sure that that Will and Kate (And Harry whenever he has kids) will show pictures to their new baby of Diana and talk about her (And i am sure Charles and Camilla will too) but there wont be that emotional attachment and peoples will have to except that. Camilla will be the child Grandmother and the person the new baby will have an emotional attachment too as it grow up. Yes she will be the Step-Grandmother but who goes around saying this is my Step Grandma especially when they did not know their real Grandmother/Grandfather? My Grandpa (My mom dad) parent divorce when he was a teen and my great Grandmother remarried before my mom was born. My grandpa step dad has alway been 'Grandpa' to my mom. My mom never knew my grandpa real dad (she met him once or twice in her life and that was it) My dad parent divorce when he was also younger and my Grandma (my dad mom) has remarried before I was born and he was Grandpa( they are divorce now). I never knew my Dad father.

I am sure the baby will be closer to Kate parent and will Se them a lot, Kate Mother I bet will play most of the Grandparent role over time, especially when Charles to the throne and Camilla will be doing a lot, and The Queen is too old (not being mean but you get what I am saying) to take on a much more central Grandmother role (that and obviously the fact that she is queen and will probably be busy some weeks) to the new baby. But I think the Queen will be a Great Great-Granmother, that more elderly grandparent who has lot of Great stories!

The baby will only know Diana through Pictures and Stories. I am sure the baby will hear lot of stories even from the Queen herself I bet!

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana

« Charles and Diana | - »