The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Personally, I don't think that Diana would still want her supporters to be bashing Charles and Camilla now. Time does have a way of healing bitterness, particularly after there's been a death. Both Diana and her marriage to Charles belong to the historians now, and I think that there's enough evidence available for them to be able to make fair judgments about Charles and Diana. William and Harry, who are her living legacy, seem to be doing alright and I'm sure she'd be enormously proud of how they're doing now that they've become their own men and public personalities. I am bothered both by those who think that the young Diana was a scheming shrew out to "get her man" and by those who see her as having no fault at all in the breakdown of her marriage and the lowering of her reputation in later years. The same with Prince Charles. I don't think that he was a victim in his marriage, nor do I think that he was completely cold and heartless. People are more complex than that.
I agree 1000% with every word you wrote in this post. I realise everyone else has already told you how good it is, but I still had to add my two cents in precisely because you really hit the nail right on the head.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Al Fayed and Earl Spencer must have known each other. Raine was a director at Harrod's and Diana would have met Al Fayed on numerous occasions. So, especially as a divorced Princess of Wales, and no longer an HRH, maybe there wouldn't be so much of a problem with her visiting with him. The problem, as I see it, was with taking William and Harry along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
Of course you are right Mermaid1962, but to my knowledge the Fayeds was friends of her father(please correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, it may not have seemed so controversial for her to spend time with him and his family.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

How many were there? I know that there was the trip with Rosa Monckton, the first one with MalF, and the later one with Dodi. The trip to Bosnia was a working trip. Personally, I didn't mind the holidays that she took. She was a single woman with money without a 9-to-5 job. I just didn't care for her hanging about with the Fayeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There were also headlines in the press within a week or so of her death asking just how many holidays one person needed in a summer as Diana seemed to spend a lot of that summer in the sun on one holiday or another.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can't blame her for taking the trip with the Fayeds. If she took her sons anywhere on vacation Scotland Yard would have to approve of the location first right? And it would seem like a daunting task for a family that would prefer to have a quiet relaxing summer, than entertain the Princess of Wales, the heir and spare to the throne at their country homes. They would also have to put up with the security. I remember hearing on Extra that Diana was invited to vacation with the boys in Martha's Vineyard but Scotland Yard found it not safe enough for the boys. I wish I could find an article about that.
So Fayed's offer looked appealing to her, they would be on a yaht, Fayed had his own security team, and Scotland Yard approved the vacation. IMO she probably didn't mind the criticism as long as her children enjoyed themselves rather than sitting at KP doing nothing.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Excellent post!
I 2nd that Mermaid!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Could you post a link to this please as I have never heard this before?*

I do know that Diana was always invited to spend Christmas at Sandringham and could have spent Christmas with her sons every year if she had wanted to but she chose not to do so, instead choosing to stay in London alone. It was Diana's choice to spend Christmas away from her sons and no-one else's.

The Queen made Wood Cottage available to Sarah for many years for Christmas so that she could see the girls over Christmas, and the Queen herself would often go over there in the afternoon and have a cup of tea with Sarah and the girls.
* Aliza is referring to a quote in Paul Burrell's book A Royal Duty.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
How many were there? I know that there was the trip with Rosa Monckton, the first one with MalF, and the later one with Dodi. The trip to Bosnia was a working trip. Personally, I didn't mind the holidays that she took. She was a single woman with money without a 9-to-5 job. I just didn't care for her hanging about with the Fayeds.

I can't remember exactly but it was something like about 2 weeks of work from Easter to the week before her death - well that was what the media were saying - so about 2 - 4 weeks of doing something constructive out of a 4 month period and they were simply beginning to turn on her and then she died and all was forgiven and she was a saint again.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I can't blame her for taking the trip with the Fayeds. If she took her sons anywhere on vacation Scotland Yard would have to approve of the location first right? And it would seem like a daunting task for a family that would prefer to have a quiet relaxing summer, than entertain the Princess of Wales, the heir and spare to the throne at their country homes. They would also have to put up with the security. I remember hearing on Extra that Diana was invited to vacation with the boys in Martha's Vineyard but Scotland Yard found it not safe enough for the boys. I wish I could find an article about that.
So Fayed's offer looked appealing to her, they would be on a yaht, Fayed had his own security team, and Scotland Yard approved the vacation. IMO she probably didn't mind the criticism as long as her children enjoyed themselves rather than sitting at KP doing nothing.

This is one of the areas where Diana shows how thoughtless she could be - no consideration for the image of the future king - just let him have a fun holiday - no problem with that but having him associate with a known drug taker (Dodi) and with a family with dubious connections wasn't a wise decision.

As for the security issue - no only would the security have been checked but both the princes would have had their own full time security officers with them as well. At least during that time there was decent security around her.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
* Aliza is referring to a quote in Paul Burrell's book A Royal Duty.

Thank you - not a reliable source.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Diana took 3 cruises with Dodi- the cruise with the boys, and 2 just them as a couple. The last one ended in Paris.
According to Paul Burrell's book, Diana had not planned on that final cruise with Dodi. It was a last-minute backup plan, because Diana had had to cancel the vacation she was supposed to be taking to Italy with her friend Lana Marks that week- Lana's father passed away unexpectedly.
She took I holiday with Rosa- a cruise around Greece.
Not excessive holidays in my book.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Diana is still in many people's hearts and minds.

Her legacy will be with all those who loved her, and love her still.
Quite true. I still treasure her beautiful memories. Am blessed with the articles that have been linked to the above posts concerning her 50th birthday.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Commoner

Princess Diana has a huge legacy.There are many things left without her.We should try to be inspired by for example the way she helped poor people and try to do thing ,which she did.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The fact that there are many in Britain and elsewhere, including people here, who regularly call for the succession rules to be put aside shows just how damaging her legacy is - to promote the popularity of the moment or even the individual over the institution itself is damaging to the institution and she put that on the agenda.

The very fact that people here and elsewhere want William to take his father's place shows how much she damaged the perception of the family relationship as well. William has two parents but most people seem to forget that - I even read comments in the lead up to the wedding asking why Charles should be having anything to do with it? That is also a large part of Diana's legacy - she set out to destroy her husband and even from the grave her supporters are still trying to bring about her desire - too bad if that desire might hurt and upset the sons she had with Charles.
Interesting that you think it is not Charles' actions/behavior/choices which cause people to 'regularly call for the succession rules to be put aside' or the 'people want William to take his father's place'. At the end of the day, Diana has been dead over a decade and Charles is still heartily disliked. He must reap what his actions have sown. And the whole "Well, maybe Camilla may still be my Queen, who knows", does not endear him any further to the population at large. It will be interesting, now that William and Catherine are in the white hot spotlight, whether Charles is as resentful of them for taking over what he regards as his rightful place in the sun, as he was with William's mother.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Interesting that you think it is not Charles' actions/behavior/choices which cause people to 'regularly call for the succession rules to be put aside' or the 'people want William to take his father's place'. At the end of the day, Diana has been dead over a decade and Charles is still heartily disliked. He must reap what his actions have sown. And the whole "Well, maybe Camilla may still be my Queen, who knows", does not endear him any further to the population at large. It will be interesting, now that William and Catherine are in the white hot spotlight, whether Charles is as resentful of them for taking over what he regards as his rightful place in the sun, as he was with William's mother.
Maybe I'm naive, but from what I have observed in the past several months, the Prince of Wales seems to be perfectly fine with William and Catherine enjoying the spotlight. He regards his daughter-in-law highly, allowing her to take over for his engagement last month. I don't see him becoming jealous of his son and his wife. In fact, I see just the opposite. He's proud of them both, and probably supports them and their endeavors.

As for Diana's legacy, it lives on in her sons, who were able to take good qualities from both parents, and carry on. William's involvement with Centrepoint, and Harry's wok with Sentebale (I hope I spelled that right) show us that what their mother taught them has been well remembered and taken to heart.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Slow news period, I guess. It will be Camilla who will be crowed by her husband. Diana is not available.

I don't mean to sound crass, but really --- grudges still being held 15 years on? What a waste of time.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Now for all of those who have announced over and over that the people 'are warming to Camilla and will be happy to have her crowned Queen', go read the comments after the article. All but ONE person was absolutely against Camilla being Queen.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Well it is the Daily Express so the readers comments are not exactly a surprise, but I would still insist that the quiet majority of the British people have moved on and would not be unduly upset with the idea of Queen Camilla one day being crowned beside her husband. The younger generation coming into young adulthood never even knew her as Diana died before they were born.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I agree with NGalitzine.
There will always be those who will never accept anyone taking "Diana's place". However, it is my impression that the vast majority of people have moved on.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I agree with NGalitzine.
There will always be those who will never accept anyone taking "Diana's place". However, it is my impression that the vast majority of people have moved on.
I don't think anyone is trying or can take Diana's place. All I see is different royal women (Camilla & Kate) following their own paths. Sadly there are those who are still stuck in the past and won't let go of the War of the Waleses which has been long over.
I don't see much young people I know interested in Charles or Camilla. They're more into Harry and Kate. So I don't see an objection to Camilla being Queen Consort.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

And thank heavens for that!

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana