The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

I read that Diana, Princess of Wales' royal schedule was made around school events that parents attend. She would never miss a school event.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I read something like that in Burrell's book A Royal Duty.... that the boys school events and breaks from school were highlighted in green in her schedule and the royal planning staff planned around those dates....

Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I read something like that in Burrell's book A Royal Duty.... that the boys school events and breaks from school were highlighted in green in her schedule and the royal planning staff planned around those dates....
...and exactly how many nannies does Burrell mention also ?? (but they were never involved in any of the "photo-ops"
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailin Deas View Post
...and exactly how many nannies does Burrell mention also ?? (but they were never involved in any of the "photo-ops"
could you clear your post, please. I didn't quit understand it. Thank you
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I would think they would see Diana every other weekend after seeing their father. And I do believe Diana spoke to the boys on the phone regularly. It was reported that she visited them at school from time to time.

They didn't go home every weekend.

Their parents would go weeks without seeing them.

Actually boarding schools try to ensure that students whose parents can't visit as often as others aren't made to feel left out so restrict the days on which parents visit and how often the students can leave the school.

William did go so far as to not invite either of his parents to one parents' day due to concerns that the press would turn up and ruin the day for the other boys so I don't think he would have been one to see more of his parents than other boys.

Boarding schools also run a lot of activities on weekends for the students and they are expected to attend.

How do I know - I went to such a school.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Royal Highness

Regardless of how much she actually saw them, weekends or events, I think many can agree (including her sons, ex husband and even former inlaws) Diana was a loving, devoted mother
Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not going to question you yet Bertie but do you have a source for your claim of William not inviting either parents to one of their Parents Day. I just find it hard to beleive.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
On reflection, I believe Diana WILL be remembered for a long time to come. Those who admired and respected her will not forget, and even those who are less than enthusiastic can’t seem to stop talking about her. Yes, I suspect the lady will not be forgotten any time soon. Lol!!
I totally agree with you.....
Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't have a source, ghost_night, but I clearly remember that story. I think that it was during the height of the War of the Walses, which would have been from '92 to perhaps '95 or '96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I'm not going to question you yet Bertie but do you have a source for your claim of William not inviting either parents to one of their Parents Day. I just find it hard to beleive.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

@ ghost night- I know that story appeared in :
The Queen and Di by Ingrid Seward
And I seem to remember it in the Burrell books, and Diana the Last Word by Simone Simmons as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post

Tiggy Legge-Bourke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prince William biography

Prince William

It was in 1996 and he invited Tiggy Legge-Bourke after deliberately telling both his parents not to attend.

It was in the lead up to the ending of the marriage.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

If my parents went on Television and publicly confirmed their affairs, I wouldn't know how to go back to school.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Tiggy Legge-Bourke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prince William biography

Prince William

It was in 1996 and he invited Tiggy Legge-Bourke after deliberately telling both his parents not to attend.

It was in the lead up to the ending of the marriage.
Ah thank you for the sources I never knew that. Hm interesting well seems both Charles and Diana understood William's reasons.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Serene Highness

In most boarding schools, they don't encourage you to spend every weekend with your parents. Most of them don't. This at least is what I was told as I never personally attended a boarding school.

Since I'm somewhat shy and quiet, a boarding school would have been difficult for me. I tend to have a few friends and then stay in my little box.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
In most boarding schools, they don't encourage you to spend every weekend with your parents. Most of them don't. This at least is what I was told as I never personally attended a boarding school.

Since I'm somewhat shy and quiet, a boarding school would have been difficult for me. I tend to have a few friends and then stay in my little box.

As somone who was shy and quiet boarding school was great as it helped me overcome those problems and the friends I made there are my closest friends to this day.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy
In most boarding schools, they don't encourage you to spend every weekend with your parents. Most of them don't. This at least is what I was told as I never personally attended a boarding school..
Most (in US) neither encourage or discourage, that's up to the students and their parents - and yes I attended boarding school
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post

As a product of boarding schools, I only saw my parents on holidays and when school was out for the summer. Boarding school taught me the independence I needed to become the woman that I am today. I met many people from all walks of life and from around the world and I feel it's made me a better person.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Commoner

As far as Diana's legacy is concerned, it is written in stone for all time. It takes the form of her charity work, love of the common people and, most of all, in the personages of her sons.

No one - no one can take that away, not even all the Prince Charles excuse writers and spin doctors The Firm may employ.

Diana and her legacy are safe in the hearts and minds of those of us who still hold her dear.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said mhansen2! We shall never forget the Queen of People's Hearts!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailin Deas View Post
There is no question that Diana was a mother and a loving mother by all accounts. However, between boarding school days, the boys were effectively raised by nannies except when Diana wanted them to be part of her "I am a better parent than Charles" propaganda....IMO her image came first always...

Tags
diana princess of wales, legacy, memorial, princess diana